The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition Gets Official Unboxing

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
Mega Messiah said:
I'm assuming he's referring to this quote from the "Loremaster" of TESO:

Which, of course, is the equivalent of saying KOTOR 1 and 2 were horseshit fantasies but SWTOR? Oh man, that's the real lore right there.
Makes sense. Except typically when the games talk about previous games they do tend to be quite vague. Don't say what guild they were in or what their gender was etc (though a couple were mentioned as males). I suppose it depends on how seriously someone will take what he said. "Fanciful Portrayals" to me is like when people exaggerate how spectacular a historical figure is. Not calling it a fairy tale.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Lotet said:
Mega Messiah said:
I'm assuming he's referring to this quote from the "Loremaster" of TESO:

Which, of course, is the equivalent of saying KOTOR 1 and 2 were horseshit fantasies but SWTOR? Oh man, that's the real lore right there.
Makes sense. Except typically when the games talk about previous games they do tend to be quite vague. Don't say what guild they were in or what their gender was etc (though a couple were mentioned as males). I suppose it depends on how seriously someone will take what he said. "Fanciful Portrayals" to me is like when people exaggerate how spectacular a historical figure is. Not calling it a fairy tale.
I think what most people take issue with is with the word "fables" because I think most people would agree that the singleplayer games are fanciful portrayals. However, when you use the word fable, you're implying it's something akin to a fairy tale which may or may not have happened. He could've even just avoided that whole phrase of fable and fanciful portrayals altogether, and just talk about why the lore of the MMO will be good, instead of trying to juxtapose it with the main game like some sort of pissing contest.

That said, I don't really think the success of the game will hinge too much on its lore. If that were the case, Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King would have been World of Warcraft's death knell. I mean, I dabbled in a few of the stress tests for ESO and the response in the map chat was so noxious that it was a bit disconcerting to watch. You'd have a group of people shitting all over the game, a group of people praising it to the high heavens, and a group of people just saying "meh". While you're going to get that with pretty much any MMO, it was pretty scary watching what I went through BETA testing SWTOR happening again.

I was one of those geniuses who waited years and years for SWTOR to come out, blinded by my fanaticism of BioWare who, at the time, were my favorite developer (they're still up there, don't get me wrong) along with my love for KOTOR. So, whenever someone would criticize the game I'd have to white knight it to hell. I quit it 6 months in because you can only defend something for so long until you realize it sucks. I'm seeing ESO going through the exact same thing. It's pretty horrifying.

Tangent aside though, like I said: it was more his poor choice of words that gets people riled up more than anything. Nobody wants their experiences from the singleplayer games to be thought of as a cute little story told to kids at bedtime.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Yagami_Kira said:
Of course anyone who buys that game is completely insane anyways.
I think this says it best:
Please continue deficating on a product that you have not tried or viewed through anything beyond your tiny window of judgement. You have no idea how entertaining you are.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Lotet said:
What do you mean by imaginary? The MMO is based hundreds of years before all the single player games, unless that's not what you meant.
One of the idiots in charge of the project said...

EDIT: Oh, I see that's being discussed now. Very well. I stand by my statement that ES:O loremaster is a fuckin' idiot.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
PuckFuppet said:
So much anger.

I'm looking forward to ESO ^^
Remus said:
Yagami_Kira said:
Of course anyone who buys that game is completely insane anyways.
I think this says it best:

Please continue deficating on a product that you have not tried or viewed through anything beyond your tiny window of judgement. You have no idea how entertaining you are.
I have not tried? I've been in every beta. Its a sub par cash grab slashjob mmo hoping to make enough money in the first month by keeping the media silent by NDA that enough people buy it.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I don't get why there shouldn't be a physical edition without the statue, but with all the other goodies inside. Those are the most reasonable ones.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Not sure why you quoted me.

I have also played in a few of the betas, I enjoyed what I saw. Was it perfect? No, but I challenge you to find one game that is/was. It was entertaining, interesting and worth playing again/paying money for.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
PuckFuppet said:

I have also played in a few of the betas, I enjoyed what I saw. Was it perfect? No, but I challenge you to find one game that is/was. It was entertaining, interesting and worth playing again/paying money for.
Sorry that. Hit the wrong quote button. Now you say its worth paying for. I agree. But do you think its worth 60 + 180 a year + a full cash shop?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Still wondering what happened to this:

Matt Firor said:
"We don't want players to hit monetisation fees when they're in the world.

"It's like, I go into a dungeon, if I don't have access to the dungeon it pops up a window: you don't have access to this, go buy 50 credits. We didn't want that experience. That's not an Elder Scrolls experience.

"We wanted to do monetisation outside of the game. So, if I pay for a month at a time, I have 100 percent of the game. I don't have to worry about paying one more cent. I'll never run into a pay gate and I'll be in the world."
So now at character creation it will pop up a window: you don't have access to this, go buy the Imperial Edition?

I guess he was just rounding up when he said 100 percent?

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Yagami_Kira said:
PuckFuppet said:

Sorry that. Hit the wrong quote button. Now you say its worth paying for. I agree. But do you think its worth 60 + 180 a year + a full cash shop?
As far as I'm aware, and as far as I've seen in the beta, the cash shop is for services like character name changes and presumably character redesigns. Charging for these services isn't something I agree with but I understand the twofold purpose that serves, preventing excessive name/appearance changing and making money off of the people who want to utilise that service. That being said I'm unlikely to avail of it, if you've got more specific information about what the cash shop would entail I'd be interested to see it. However the existence of the shop isn't going to turn me off the game.

The subscription cost is a separate issue, to me at least, in that it is a method that I vastly prefer to every FTP model I've seen. I grew up with the idea of the subscription model being the norm and I have yet to see a single FTP game that has actually appealed to me from an aesthetic or community standpoint, the latter of which is far more important to me in an MMO. Even games that started with a subscription model and then went FTP have done things which have driven me off, the "cartel coin" nonsense in SWTOR and the ensuing death of whatever community market there was is an easily referenced example of what I'm saying.

I like the subscription model. I think that investors/marketers are trying desperately to make more money all the time and that they should just stop exploiting peoples willingness to cash out for a mount with blue trimmings instead of a mount with red trimmings. I think that to a point the subscription model could keep those people in check and give the developers the freedom to actually make a decent game.

Will I be paying for ESO? Yes.
Will I be playing ESO every second to make the most of that payment? Probably not. I'm unlikely to play more than 10-20 hours a week, if that. But it doesn't bother me to pay the subscription to keep the game that I'm playing the game that I purchased.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
PuckFuppet said:
Yagami_Kira said:
PuckFuppet said:

As far as I'm aware, and as far as I've seen in the beta, the cash shop is for services like character name changes and presumably character redesigns. Charging for these services isn't something I agree with but I understand the twofold purpose that serves, preventing excessive name/appearance changing and making money off of the people who want to utilise that service. That being said I'm unlikely to avail of it, if you've got more specific information about what the cash shop would entail I'd be interested to see it. However the existence of the shop isn't going to turn me off the game.

The subscription cost is a separate issue, to me at least, in that it is a method that I vastly prefer to every FTP model I've seen. I grew up with the idea of the subscription model being the norm and I have yet to see a single FTP game that has actually appealed to me from an aesthetic or community standpoint, the latter of which is far more important to me in an MMO. Even games that started with a subscription model and then went FTP have done things which have driven me off, the "cartel coin" nonsense in SWTOR and the ensuing death of whatever community market there was is an easily referenced example of what I'm saying.

I like the subscription model. I think that investors/marketers are trying desperately to make more money all the time and that they should just stop exploiting peoples willingness to cash out for a mount with blue trimmings instead of a mount with red trimmings. I think that to a point the subscription model could keep those people in check and give the developers the freedom to actually make a decent game.

Will I be paying for ESO? Yes.
Will I be playing ESO every second to make the most of that payment? Probably not. I'm unlikely to play more than 10-20 hours a week, if that. But it doesn't bother me to pay the subscription to keep the game that I'm playing the game that I purchased.
Well they've already shown their willingness to charge for crazy shit with the Mara rings and the imperial race. How long do you think it'll be before they start selling straight power? Or barring that, more race unlocks?

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Yagami_Kira said:
Well they've already shown their willingness to charge for crazy shit with the Mara rings and the imperial race. How long do you think it'll be before they start selling straight power? Or barring that, more race unlocks?
Maybe four months. Maybe two years. Maybe never.

Foolish or not I'm willing to trust that by doing what I can to support the product that I like then the creative vision that got that product from concept to implementation will stay, and I'll be able to continue enjoying it. People are quick to make judgements about a developers intentions, more so when those people feel their invested in the IP that developer is working with, but when it comes down to it the key driving force behind the things that we both evidently dislike isn't ignorance from developers its the demands of people who, unlike developers, don't care about the players and care even less about their experience. Those people control the money and as long as they're happy, they're quiet.

Whether or not people agree I don't think that a developer could spend 3-4 years on a project and not care about it as much, if not more, than the players.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
I was curious about trying this, but charging for a special edition to get a certain race just seems like a step backwards before even starting the race. at least WoW got the players first BEFORE adding in additional features to pay for besides the game price and the subscription fee.

as nice as the race choice is for those who get it, i think it'll just piss off more people who don't get it, and be a more generally negative addition.

statue's awesome though, can't deny that shit

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
With the PC release date being before the console release it makes me worried about another D3-esque launch where us PC'ers are stuck paying to Beta test a game for the eventual release on console.

Didn't this happen with BF4 too? I didn't get it, nor do I have a nextgen, but I vaguely remember my younger brother lamenting about it around November.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
PuckFuppet said:
Yagami_Kira said:
Maybe four months. Maybe two years. Maybe never.

Foolish or not I'm willing to trust that by doing what I can to support the product that I like then the creative vision that got that product from concept to implementation will stay, and I'll be able to continue enjoying it. People are quick to make judgements about a developers intentions, more so when those people feel their invested in the IP that developer is working with, but when it comes down to it the key driving force behind the things that we both evidently dislike isn't ignorance from developers its the demands of people who, unlike developers, don't care about the players and care even less about their experience. Those people control the money and as long as they're happy, they're quiet.

Whether or not people agree I don't think that a developer could spend 3-4 years on a project and not care about it as much, if not more, than the players.
Well then. Its good you enjoy the game. I'll wait for the inevitable free to play move before I play it.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Wait, did that video just say getting married(or blessing of mara w/e) can only happen with the imperial edition? That's a strange addition...
I forsee this as DLC in the relative future.

Dat statue though...
They did a nice job with the statue.

captcha: skynet is watching.
WHAT?!

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
valium said:
Did I hear that wrong? You have to buy the imperial edition to be able to have access to a race and the online marriage system? That sounds like F2P crap, but in a full subscription model?

Please tell me I am wrong.
Nope. Not wrong. The game was designed to have a full cash shop from the start. Go read the old interviews. One day they said "FULL 100% GAME WITH SUB". Then literally the next day they did an interview saying "FULL CASH SHOP"

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
valium said:
Did I hear that wrong? You have to buy the imperial edition to be able to have access to a race and the online marriage system? That sounds like F2P crap, but in a full subscription model?

Please tell me I am wrong.
Hagi said:
So now at character creation it will pop up a window: you don't have access to this, go buy the Imperial Edition?

I guess he was just rounding up when he said 100 percent?
The Imperial Race is playable for everyone. The only thing the limited edition does is make it playable for every faction. For a person playing the standard edition, Imperials would only be playable in the Ebonheart faction.

I don't know about the "marriage" system though. I have the impression that you can buy the rings in-game (with in-game currency), but the limited edition just starts you off with them. But I really don't know.