The Elder Scrolls Online Will Have Subscription Fees

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Ah, another attempt to turn back the clock and enter the mythological age before games like World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2.

Why should the fact that no other AAA-Subscription-MMO succeeded after WoW stop anyone from adopting that model?

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Sight Unseen said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Sight Unseen said:
Caramel Frappe said:
NOOOOOoooooooooooo- NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

WHhhyyy?! I was so looking forward to this, having an Elder Scrolls online MMO where I can finally play with people apart from the single player Elder Scroll games. But, now... Th, they decided to have a subscription fee of $15 dollars a MONTH??! I can't even believe this. I'm out, I'm...... I'm done guys.
The biggest disappointment to me in 2013. Congrats for, making me a very sad panda Bethesda and the other company I don't care to mention. Losing over 3/5ths of your customers isn't worth it... Or more depending on how many are hurt by this like I am.
Is that not just a little bit too dramatic? Also that 3/5ths "stat" was a nice pull out of nowhere stat, and I'm sure most people won't be AS upset as you are by this. Judging by your response it's almost like Zenimax Online Red Wedding'ed your whole family and THEN stole your cupcake. Relax it's just a game... a game that you can play for 4 months before you pay what it'd cost if it was a regular retail release...
I'm not sure how to respond, for I am indeed upset but at the same time not going to start anything with you good sir.
I'm certain that a large sum of people will want nothing to do with this game now, or just move on because subscription fees are almost a killer.

I know for a fact I don t want to put up with having to subscribe, add info, put in my credit card, get into a game working up my character and playing only having to shut down my account because I can't afford paying $15 a month. I would just love playing whenever without any issues coming up, without having to pay because then I feel like I have to cram in time to get my $15 worth.
That's just me though... I am upset overall by this. I hope you can accept that rather then telling me not to be upset at all. I'd rather have them steal my cupcake actually, for that's like $3 only while $15 a month adds up to over $120 a year lol.
Of course you have every right to be upset by this news if you're that vehemently against subscription based payment models. I don't know anything about your social or economic status and I wouldn't descend to preaching that you're wrong because it all comes down to subjective preference.

I'm just extremely perplexed and confused why so many people (not just you) are reacting like this is a total death sentence for a game which I feel has shown a ton of promise and has done a good job to appeal to both hardcore elder scrolls fans with the mechanics and lore and world, as well as to MMO fans in their PVP and PVE systems that they've shown so far.

I feel like $15 a month is pretty reasonable for a game that will likely have thousands of hours of content. This game takes place over all of Tamriel, and all (or most) of the provinces have playable content. Morrowind, Cyrodiil, and Skyrim, in their respective games all contained hundreds of hours of content on their own; if TES:O has even half the content density of those games, then Tamriel will contain literally thousands of hours of content as well as emergent gameplay and a PVP system that has me more excited than any other MMO pvp system that I'm aware of. They said that they will provide regular content updates and new areas, guilds and questlines ( whether they are expansions ala WoW remains to be seen). And all of this isn't worth $15 a month? Like I've said before, I spend that much a week on lunches at work, and they don't give me nearly the enjoyment that this game will bring (if it's good) and the lunches here are FANTASTIC. Even 25-30 hours a month I think would be worth my subscription and that's not really all that much, although I guess it depends on your social life and obligations.

Anyway, you're not wrong to be upset by this and you have every right to be upset if it means a lot to you. I'm just confused and I don't see why it's such a deal breaker. I'm sorry if any of this or my previous reply came off as condescending or rude. I don't mean to but sometimes I come off that way when I type :/
It aint for me because right now those are all empty promises just like the old republic. Its coming off alot like that game plus this really aint that lore friendly with the actual games. You can say all you want but the actual single players already offer all this and seemingly much better

kenu12345

Aug 3, 2011
Nocturnus said:
Fifteen dollars a month for a gamer is a lot of money? Really? 0.o..

... on what planet.

Unless you're pirating the ever living crud out of your games, which i'm going to assume that nobody is, you're looking to spend that much for even a good indy title. And it won't give you hundreds of hours of content. Maybe... twelve? If you're lucky?
15 dollars consistantly for one game is alot. I would understand multiple games but to spend a hundred dollars a year on one game is silly for me

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Nocturnus said:

... on what planet.

Unless you're pirating the ever living crud out of your games, which i'm going to assume that nobody is, you're looking to spend that much for even a good indy title. And it won't give you hundreds of hours of content. Maybe... twelve? If you're lucky?

That includes a one off cost of £30 to buy the game, plus costs of Xbox live and Playstation to play it online. It all adds up and some of us have bills and rent to pay.

And let's be honest, a lot of MMOs give you that much content because you have to grind and grind and grind to get your moneys worth.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Nocturnus said:

... on what planet.

It is the notion that in order to play a game for a year, one has to pay 120 dollars, where as any normal release (to say nothing of the countless free-to-play models) costs at most 60 to play it indefinitely. Some people want to know they are making an investment that will last a while, and even beyond the rip-off price per year, there is the knowledge that there WILL be a cash shop of some sort, and that subscription mmo are a dying breed with the only one still viable being the king of mmo WOW, and only because they got it right at the right time and can maintain their audience simply because they still hold the majority. A new mmo with a subscription model has to clear the hurdle enough to get a solid, reliable player base and as every attempt to copy WoW has shown, no one wants to pay for a clone of WoW, be it a clone of the game or of the subscription model.

Also, even if an indie game only gives a half dozen hours of gameplay, it can be revisited indefinitely and is often a more rewarding experience. An MMO is, by design, a slow grindy slog solely done to test the player patience, be it to get them to buy from the store or, in this case, to milk them of money as they pay the subscription fee month after month. And all this at a time when corporate greed has been shown to negatively affect gameplay (dead space 3 anyone?), so there is a backlash against any sort of obvious money ploy. A game of the genre designed to be a long grind to begin with charging money incrementally as you make the slog will cause anyone interested to pause, especially when the market is over saturated by other mmo that are more trusted, have more reliable player bases or just don't charge you a monthly fee to run the gauntlet while still being advertised at for the duration.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
kenu12345 said:
It aint for me because right now those are all empty promises just like the old republic. Its coming off alot like that game plus this really aint that lore friendly with the actual games. You can say all you want but the actual single players already offer all this and seemingly much better
Fair enough. There are already two really obvious guilds/ questlines for them to add though that should be really awesome: the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines. Those two are notably absent from the core game, but I'm sure they will be added as a content update, and hopefully the storylines will be as awesome as the Oblivion ones, not so much the Skyrim ones.

In terms of lore, i'm not much of a TES lore knowitall, since this game takes place 1,000 years before the other games in a period I don't know much about, I probably won't notice some small inconsistencies in backstory. But the motivations for the different factions and the overall struggle for power seems to make enough sense for me. There are a few lore-junkies though who have already posted their displeasure over differences but I don't think it'll be enough to ruin the game for any but the most hardcore TES fans.

runic knight said:
Nocturnus said:

... on what planet.

It is the notion that in order to play a game for a year, one has to pay 120 dollars, where as any normal release (to say nothing of the countless free-to-play models) costs at most 60 to play it indefinitely. Some people want to know they are making an investment that will last a while, and even beyond the rip-off price per year, there is the knowledge that there WILL be a cash shop of some sort, and that subscription mmo are a dying breed with the only one still viable being the king of mmo WOW, and only because they got it right at the right time and can maintain their audience simply because they still hold the majority. A new mmo with a subscription model has to clear the hurdle enough to get a solid, reliable player base and as every attempt to copy WoW has shown, no one wants to pay for a clone of WoW, be it a clone of the game or of the subscription model.

Also, even if an indie game only gives a half dozen hours of gameplay, it can be revisited indefinitely and is often a more rewarding experience. An MMO is, by design, a slow grindy slog solely done to test the player patience, be it to get them to buy from the store or, in this case, to milk them of money as they pay the subscription fee month after month. And all this at a time when corporate greed has been shown to negatively affect gameplay (dead space 3 anyone?), so there is a backlash against any sort of obvious money ploy. A game of the genre designed to be a long grind to begin with charging money incrementally as you make the slog will cause anyone interested to pause, especially when the market is over saturated by other mmo that are more trusted, have more reliable player bases or just don't charge you a monthly fee to run the gauntlet while still being advertised at for the duration.
I'd like to make a few comments regarding your post:

As far as I know there has been no mention of either a cash shop or an initial purchase of this game that have been officially announced yet and while it might be likely that one or more will exist, it is still jumping the gun until it is confirmed one way or the other, and just making negative hype over a feature that may not exist.

Also $15 times 12 months is $180 a year, for full disclosure and trying not to be biased.

I don't think that TES:O is a WoW clone in very many aspects at all other than that it's an MMO and has a subscription and that it has dungeons and combat... Maybe this game is different enough from WoW to be able to stand it's own. Like you said, all the wow clones have failed, and this is because they were trying to emulate WoW too much when WoW already exists, so people don't see the point in playing it because they're already established in WoW. I'm not certain that TES:O will be different enough to dethrone WoW and I certainly won't make any such claims, but I think that it can definitely find it's own niche and be successful in it's own right because it is doing several things very differently than WoW.

From what I've seen of TES, it looks a lot less grindy than most MMO's and looks more like Skyrim in terms of gameplay. The quests all seemed to have narratives and you can obtain quests by simply exploring and finding cool dungeons to go through. Yes you level up by using your skills more and more, but it seems like they're trying to make that experience compelling and not just a linear slog from one generic "Kill 15 boars" quest to another or camping one monster spawn for 50 hours so you can finally have fun in the PVP. This is an initial impression and I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

There's been no sign or indication that there will be advertising or product placement at all so I don't know where that came from.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Sight Unseen said:
PatrickXD said:
Does Guild Wars 2 not exist, or something? There's a third option here, guys, and it has led to one of the fastest selling MMO's of all time - if not the most.
I was looking forward to the announcement that TES:O would require a one off payment, and include aesthetic microtransactions. Now I'm just going to ignore the title, because one game is not worth £120/year.
Fast initial sales but precipitous drop off after 2 weeks is not an ideal sales model for an MMO that should be designed to keep gamers playing for a long time. It means that they get a large initial recovery of their investment but then nothing to sustain them to develop the game further.

I'm not at all an expert on GW2, but several people here have been posting about the glaring drawbacks of their model ( no apparent long-term growth of the game, temporary updates, expensive microtransactions, player population drops, etc) If a company wants to maintain and nurture a player base for an MMO they need the financial assets to be adding compelling and substantial content and show long term growth of the game to encourage their fanbase to keep playing, and a buy once and be set forever model doesn't work that well when you have to also consider server maintenance and upkeep and longterm growth of the game.
Where the heck are you getting your info from? I just checked now (3:45pm in USA so not exactly peak times):

Population:
Very High - 10 servers
High - 30 servers
Medium - 11 servers

There's 22,000 people online right now.

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
endtherapture said:
Nocturnus said:

... on what planet.

That includes a one off cost of £30 to buy the game, plus costs of Xbox live and Playstation to play it online. It all adds up and some of us have bills and rent to pay.

And let's be honest, a lot of MMOs give you that much content because you have to grind and grind and grind to get your moneys worth.
Maybe if you play.. Final Fantasy XIV or XI. There are plenty of games out that aren't a "grind", some of which even have pretty compelling narratives and storylines.

EverQuest II, The Secret World, heck, even Guild Wars 2 are a huge departure from that. Matter of fact, most games now adays have been moving away from that so much that the "old school" MMO people are upset.

Quite frankly, i'm happy that the grinding days are behind us as MMO Gamers.

kenu12345

Aug 3, 2011
Sight Unseen said:
kenu12345 said:
Fair enough. There are already two really obvious guilds/ questlines for them to add though that should be really awesome: the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines. Those two are notably absent from the core game, but I'm sure they will be added as a content update, and hopefully the storylines will be as awesome as the Oblivion ones, not so much the Skyrim ones.

In terms of lore, i'm not much of a TES lore knowitall, since this game takes place 1,000 years before the other games in a period I don't know much about, I probably won't notice some small inconsistencies in backstory. But the motivations for the different factions and the overall struggle for power seems to make enough sense for me. There are a few lore-junkies though who have already posted their displeasure over differences but I don't think it'll be enough to ruin the game for any but the most hardcore TES fans.
I honestly don't see how they are going to do the thiefs guild quest line. I hope its more oblivion but I don't seeing an mmo doing that. Seems mostly action so it seems like it would be at skyrim level or worse. I hated having to kill somebody in the thieves guild questline on that.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
kenu12345 said:
Sight Unseen said:
kenu12345 said:

I honestly don't see how they are going to do the thiefs guild quest line. I hope its more oblivion but I don't seeing an mmo doing that. Seems mostly action so it seems like it would be at skyrim level or worse. I hated having to kill somebody in the thieves guild questline on that.
Well they did add sneaking to TES:O which I haven't seen in any other MMO. Also if the quests are more narrative structured, like Runescape, then I could see them doing this pretty easily.
Yuuki said:
Sight Unseen said:
PatrickXD said:
Does Guild Wars 2 not exist, or something? There's a third option here, guys, and it has led to one of the fastest selling MMO's of all time - if not the most.
I was looking forward to the announcement that TES:O would require a one off payment, and include aesthetic microtransactions. Now I'm just going to ignore the title, because one game is not worth £120/year.
Fast initial sales but precipitous drop off after 2 weeks is not an ideal sales model for an MMO that should be designed to keep gamers playing for a long time. It means that they get a large initial recovery of their investment but then nothing to sustain them to develop the game further.

I'm not at all an expert on GW2, but several people here have been posting about the glaring drawbacks of their model ( no apparent long-term growth of the game, temporary updates, expensive microtransactions, player population drops, etc) If a company wants to maintain and nurture a player base for an MMO they need the financial assets to be adding compelling and substantial content and show long term growth of the game to encourage their fanbase to keep playing, and a buy once and be set forever model doesn't work that well when you have to also consider server maintenance and upkeep and longterm growth of the game.
Where the heck are you getting your info from? I just checked now (3:45pm in USA so not exactly peak times):

Population:
Very High - 10 servers
High - 30 servers
Medium - 11 servers

There's 22,000 people online right now.
Like I said, my sources were from previous posters in the thread so I apologize that my information was incorrect in this case. Still, I'd be interested to see how many active players there were when the game launched compared to now, and I don't know how many people are needed to turn a profit for the devs. All interesting info I'd like to know.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
If the game is good enough, this won't be a problem and people will pay, even the ones in this thread decrying it. However, there in lies the rub. It's really hard to make a game good enough to where people will do it in large enough numbers.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
well, I was gonna say how this is not the smartest move they coulda pulled in this market.

but seeing as I'm on page 2 of 5 and the genera conciseness thus far is 'fuck it I'm out', don't think I need to ....

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Yuuki said:
Makabriel said:
Play a game without having to pay separate for bank space? Or anything extra? Yes please.
Enjoy having paid $90 over 6 months, or $180 over the course of a year.
So... if I drop 3 60$ games that would last together maybe 30 hours I'll get to enjoy one game for entire year? Sign me in for such deal anytime.

Korihor

Free Thinker
Dec 9, 2010
I would love to play another Elder Scrolls game, just not an MMO.
I will buy dlc forever on a game, (as long as it is good dlc).

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
While Subscription is the better payment system, I'm happy the backlash is hitting TESO so hard. A blatant slap in the face to every TES fan in the world shouldn't have come this far at all, and it'll be a good day when it goes crashing down.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Sight Unseen said:
I'd like to make a few comments regarding your post:

As far as I know there has been no mention of either a cash shop or an initial purchase of this game that have been officially announced yet and while it might be likely that one or more will exist, it is still jumping the gun until it is confirmed one way or the other, and just making negative hype over a feature that may not exist.
I suppose it is a bit presumptuous, though I could have sworn I read something about a shop already. Or was it about character races for sale? I'll have to see if I can find it, though it might have been something else. Still, I can't think of an mmo without some form of cash shop system to one degree or another, and I have my doubts that the team behind ESO will have the character enough just charge a sub fee and yet otherwise ignore the captive advertisement audience.

Also $15 times 12 months is $180 a year, for full disclosure and trying not to be biased.
sorry, typo there. Finger slid down to the 2 instead of up to the 8. Still, sort of make my point worse when it shifts from 2 full price games to 3

I don't think that TES:O is a WoW clone in very many aspects at all other than that it's an MMO and has a subscription and that it has dungeons and combat... Maybe this game is different enough from WoW to be able to stand it's own. Like you said, all the wow clones have failed, and this is because they were trying to emulate WoW too much when WoW already exists, so people don't see the point in playing it because they're already established in WoW. I'm not certain that TES:O will be different enough to dethrone WoW and I certainly won't make any such claims, but I think that it can definitely find it's own niche and be successful in it's own right because it is doing several things very differently than WoW.
What I was referring to was a fantasy sword and sorcery mmo. Obvious over-saturation in the market there. As such, the idea of it being a WoW clone is in the theme, tone and subscription model. High fantasy epic adventure with other people and you have to pay monthly to keep playing. Aside from the license fans, it is otherwise not standing out compared to the sea of such mmo, and as such having to pay a monthly fee is instantly a turn off, one that is avoided by WoW because WoW is seen as the mmo king and has the largest player base, therefore by conventional wisdom must be better (obvious issues there aside, this is just suppose to represent a generalized opinion.) Why pay to play the "clone" of it (in spirit and theme) that is unproven when you can just play the actual product?

From what I've seen of TES, it looks a lot less grindy than most MMO's and looks more like Skyrim in terms of gameplay. The quests all seemed to have narratives and you can obtain quests by simply exploring and finding cool dungeons to go through. Yes you level up by using your skills more and more, but it seems like they're trying to make that experience compelling and not just a linear slog from one generic "Kill 15 boars" quest to another or camping one monster spawn for 50 hours so you can finally have fun in the PVP. This is an initial impression and I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.
MMO are by default designed to have a lot of content and to take a lot of time. They are often built to be slower in leveling so that players can experience the massive amount of content and help with immersion. There is nothing wrong with this, by default. My point here was about how a game type that is intentionally slower to consume is being tied to a pay to play model that bests takes advantage of the slower gameplay consumption. Yes, I know that in a business sense that does make sense, but as a player, it also raises very valid complaints and concerns, especially in relation to gameplay decisions that may intentionally slow the game down further. Granted, my concerns are just concerns at the moment, but mmo have often been the largest culprits of intentional padding and slowdown tactics as it is. Adding in a payment model that actively benefits from such tactics is very worrisome and for many is the final straw in how much trust they are willing to give towards trying the game in the first place, especially given how often such payment methods have been abused in other mmo before.

There's been no sign or indication that there will be advertising or product placement at all so I don't know where that came from.
The advertisement aspect is in relation to it being an mmo. Every mmo I have come across, and especially true of FTP models, are essentially tests of will against the subscriptions or cash shops themselves. The game design is a constant barrage on the player to get them to keep paying or buy the extras, and as such the game itself acts like a constant commercial. Now, this might be very faint with just cosmetic aspects, or this might be built right into the system with paygates or cool down periods you have to buy your way past or by intentionally making the game excessively grindy for tasks, yet offer a quick way past with a little cash. Crafting systems are especially bad for this, though also things such as inventory space and on some games even leveling itself can be designed in a way that turns the gameplay itself into a test of patience in hopes of encouraging pay.
For free to play models, this is the trade off for the game itself (players are "paying" by putting up with the advertisement in the same way people who watch videos online pay by watching the adverts before them, with the only difference being that the adverts are owned by the game creators themselves). Of late though, games have been charging full price, yet include a cash shop aspect in order to milk consumers. Dead Space 3's crafting system for instance, making the game an advertisement that the player has to pay for as well, the worst of both worlds. A subscription model on a game with a cash shop (I will assume it will have one as I have yet to find an mmo without) is similar enough to that, but with the upfront pricetag, it is even worse. Players have to pay in order to pay in order to put up with constant advertisement telling them to pay.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Good, so there is some chance of it not being shit.

I'm a bit annoyed for continuing the 15$/m fee tradition though, I can't think of any game that justified it. 10$ would be much more reasonable IMO.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Vhite said:
Yuuki said:
Enjoy having paid $90 over 6 months, or $180 over the course of a year.
So... if I drop 3 60$ games that would last together maybe 30 hours I'll get to enjoy one game for entire year? Sign me in for such deal anytime.
For $180 you can buy a shitload more than 3 games if you aim for sales, not to mention you'll be getting vastly different kinds of games. You can look up reviews before buying said games to make sure your purchase is valued, while with the MMO you pretty much have to accept whatever content you're handed. With all MMO's you end up having to grind the same content/areas over and over again anyway.

But that's all besides the point - there is a REASON why the overwhelming majority of subscription MMO's have either switched to F2P/Freemium or closed altogether while WoW is the only one left standing.
Every new MMO is hailed as the next big thing before swiftly dropping after the first 1-2 months and then going into an infinitely long stagnation period where servers end up getting merged to avoid ghost-town-syndrome, the developers consider whether it's worth it to keep releasing content/patches and then people start losing jobs.

I won't judge Elder Scrolls for now, they can go head with their subscription model...the test of time will be their challenge.

Joseph Wallace

Aug 6, 2012
I knew that this would be a fail from the start nobody enjoys scheduling gameplay...when I want to play a game I want to do it when I want to not when 19 other people can get together to do something and hope nobody bails out on ya. I Played wow for quite a while and people made it fun but also makes it the most impossible to play game at the same time. All online games would benefit most from having the possibility to just play on local channels where you can create private settings that way those that want single play can enjoy that and those that want large groups can enjoy that too. Any version of gaming that pools 1000+ people into a game space and charges monthly for it really isn't looking for anything other than just a quick cash grab before going free to play and its a viable rape scheme considering there are just some people that wont wait... relax all if nobody buys into this crap we can get a free to play version quick or even better never put up with on line multi-play again! Just spread the word to all those that want to buy it to hang back until 6 months after release. If we wait it will pretty much wash up any monthly plans they have for quite some time.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Maxtro said:
OCAdam said:
Thinking about it some more, that model basically is saying it wants me to pay for the equivalent of a whole new game every 4 months. I usually do buy a new game every 4 months. Thing is, I doubt they'll add even 1/4 a whole game's worth of content in 4 months. Not exactly worth the money in my eyes.
I was thinking the same exact thing.

Odds are this game wouldn't be anywhere close to equal in value with buying a new game every four months.

I'm going to wait for a sale where I can get it for $45 or cheaper and maybe pay for a second month of play time, and then just stop. That way I'd still only pay $60.
You have to pay 60$ upfront?
That is a terrible deal and I don't know why anyone would put up with it. Does the 60$ cover the one month or 4?