The Elder Scrolls Online Will Have Subscription Fees

InfinityX

Jul 14, 2013
Kinda was hoping it would be a B2P,
From what I seen so for, TES online doesn't seem to be worth a paid sub, but then again, I also haven't really been keeping a eye on it lately (Mostly on FF XIV and Wildstar (Also a P2P))

Way I see it though, for about $45-60 of a paid MMO, you can get 2-3 months of play ($30/$45 game + Free month + 1 month), while most $60 games take a week to beat. As long as there's lot of content, I don't mind paying.

GW2, while the $60 and done was nice, the RNG boxes (to get the "new" items, requiring keys from the cash shop) were annoying, as well as the lack of a good endgame caused me to stop playing. Also mid-level zones are dead.

Maybe if TESO sub was $10 (as mentioned before) I'd be more interested, or the pay-for-hours method was used as well.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Well, there goes my interest in the game. I thought I heard this news before, but I guess it was more of a rumor than a confirmation. Still, it's a real shame. I wanted to play the MMO because Skyrim was the only game I've played in the series and I was hoping that the MMO would help me understand the lore better without playing the older games. It would've been better if they adopted the GW2 model where you pay for the game and any cash shop items are mostly cosmetic or provide services (like changing a character's name, looks, or server). I don't think a sub would work well for them, but it has yet to be seen. If a Star Wars game couldn't do it, I don't know if an Elder Scrolls game could.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Brother Pain said:
This is good news. Most games that have gone to F2P have so many pay gates at different content, be it customization, accessing your in-game cash, respeccing, basic content, or just levelling at a normal rate. Also, many F2P games basically only get new payed content.

Having a subscription allows me to put money down on a monthly basis and not worry about every little feature in the game nickle-and-diming me. I can accomplish stuff in the game without it being completely obscured by a cash shop.

Also, I think I read that the monthly price would not convert to euro and pounds 1:1, but I can't find any confirmation of that. It'd be nice if everyone outside the US wouldn't be price gouged for once.

EDIT: And I found the confirmation about halfway down the page: http://m.gamestar.de/artikel/the-elder-scrolls-online,3026853.html

"Since you've been so forthcoming, could you also reveal the available subscriptions? How much will a month of ESO cost?"

"We'll go into details on this later, but the basic monthly charge will be $14.99/?12.99/£8.99 and expect some discounts if you buy multiple months at a time. We'll also support game time cards as well as a variety of payment methods."
I share similar sentiment. I am an avid Mechwarrior: Online player and F2P is just one big pain in the ass. I would much rather have a monthly fee in exchange for having access to absolutely everything (barring expansions) up front.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Was hoping it would be F2P along with the initial cost but the subscription doesn't bother me too much. Playing WoW since vanilla has gotten me used to paying $15 a month.. it's really not that much. I don't see the subscription being sustainable in this game though so I give it a few months before it goes F2P.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Might be a deal breaker for me. 15$ a month is not that much but I do not like the idea of paying 60$ for a game and then shelling out even more money just to play it. Its what kept me from the old republic until it went f2p (which is one of the worst f2p models i have ever seen) and its what kept me away from games like WoW. I am ok with paying for the game like guild wars 2 and I am ok with just paying a subscription sort of like lotro but both is just to much.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Zac Jovanovic said:
Good, so there is some chance of it not being shit.

I'm a bit annoyed for continuing the 15$/m fee tradition though, I can't think of any game that justified it. 10$ would be much more reasonable IMO.
There's every chance it's going to be shit. In fact if you look at past releases big-name licensed MMOs with lots of hype that launch with a sub tend to be broken/unfinished if not just plain bad. TOR, Warhammer Online and Age of Conan are probably the most notable of them.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
bringer of illumination said:
Look at this picture:

In my mind, I like to imagine two things based on this picture. First, he got the job of 'Lead Loremaster' because no one else on the team looks like they were actually created using the Elder Scrolls Character Creation Screen. Second, his real last name is not 'Schick', but the rest of the team have taken to calling him that because of the noise he makes when gelling his hair back.

Anyway, not interested. Never paying a monthly fee to be bored again.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
This is a shame, This and Destiny were the reason I am getting a PS4. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Destiny is going to have a monthly fee?

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
... And there goes my interest of ever giving this game a shot, right out the window, unless they actually provide some decent amount of content for F2P players.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
TheComfyChair said:
God dammit Bethesda!

You're competing with GW2, a game which offer more updates and more content every month than any other MMO, doesn't have a sub at all, and is by all accounts is doing pretty well for itself.

If you want to shoot yourself in the foot with a .50 cal, at least do it with a less potentially interesting MMO.
I don't know how you think GW2 could compete with TESO. TESO has professional customer support.

How do you compete with that.
Fnah fnah

+1

On Topic:

I *was* interested in TESO. Not so much now. With dedicated fans making *free* mods like Falskaar and Undeath, I do believe Lawrence Shick can go F*** himself. Besides from what I've seen, TESO is just another cookie cutter mmo with some TES names and monster designs thrown in. Originally they weren't even gonna have FP PoV.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Glad it is pay to play. If the game is good then 15 dollars a month is a fair price. I don't want ftp stuff it is not enjoyable.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Well, there goes all my hype and happiness. I can't justify subscriptions fees - ever.

I'm actually really depressed. I was so looking forward to this.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I don't have an opinion about F2P or P2P models, since I've never been invested in a MMO long enough to be affected by them. The last MMO I've ever played for more than a year was Runescape a couple years back, and Runescape didn't turn me off from MMOs. I just kinda grew disinterested in the genre.

As for TES Online going subscription-based, I'm honestly just wondering when this will become F2P. I remember that some of the complaints about TOR was that its model was, more or less, similar to WoW in its gameplay and mechanics, which basically turned some people off. If TES Online goes for such an approach, it's most likely gonna go F2P.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
So, $180 dollars a year essentially.

I don't know about US prices, but i'd estimate a new game there to be around $60.00, plus maybe $40 worth of DLC.

It's safe to say i'm out of this deal.

If you want better value for money compared to regular Elder Scrolls games you're going to have the not renew your subscription fees on a monthly basis. So, you could play the game regularly say for three months for $45- but what if i want to get back into the game? I'd have to pay another $15 and commit myself to another month of regular gameplay if i want my moneys worth.

Even if these subscription fees were actually cheaper than a one off physical purchase of the game from your local game retailer i'd be put off with the hassle of renewing my subscription every time i feel like playing Elder Scrolls!

Dascuro

Jan 26, 2012
This is just how I see it, I love the Elder Scrolls, with that been said Im afraid I cant commit to a monthly suscription at this point in my live, I dont have that much free time anymore so if Im to get into ES-OL I'll need to invest that much of my free time to the game cause I'll be paying to play it, but the downtime I wont play it for any given reason is still charged to me, meaning it becomes not a hobby or a passtime but an investment on the long run, I dont wish to have to pay monthly a fee for the priviledge to play a game every other time, Ill be giving my money on the promise of premium content I may not see because of my little time to play the game.

Not to mention if I wish to play something else or I happen to find another game Ill need to keep paying to have ES-OL as an option for my entertainment, again, on the promise of the content that if I dont cash on said promise Im still been charged a fee.

I like the system of GW2 better, they give out to whoever purchase their game, have their cosmetic and extra services on micro transactions without getting into "pay to win" territories and I get the chance to jump into any given event whenever I want without having to worry about been denied access to the content for lack of funds or commitment.

Besides Id preffer to save the money to buy another game which may give me hours of fun without having to buy my way in every other month

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
romanator0 said:
Zac Jovanovic said:
Good, so there is some chance of it not being shit.

I'm a bit annoyed for continuing the 15$/m fee tradition though, I can't think of any game that justified it. 10$ would be much more reasonable IMO.
There's every chance it's going to be shit. In fact if you look at past releases big-name licensed MMOs with lots of hype that launch with a sub tend to be broken/unfinished if not just plain bad. TOR, Warhammer Online and Age of Conan are probably the most notable of them.
I know. I did say some chance. It's still probably going to be shit, but with proper funding at least there is a small chance it's not.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Well if anyone deserves to have it work for them its these guys I suppose, there's not much you can put a price tag on without simply ripping feature out akin to making dlcs into it and removing them, that being said I still wouldn't go for it, its not about the cost really there's just a lot of other things I would rather back then this for $14 a month that's potentially a few kick starters or a decent amount of micro transactions on things Im much more interested in, give me a call if it turns out to not a be a casual.