Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Review

Not as personalized as you might think.

Read Full Article

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
If they wanted to make DLC that is, at least for PC users, almost null because mods are available to do the same job... you think they would have made it a bit more worth while.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Itsthefuzz said:
If they wanted to make DLC that is, at least for PC users, almost null because mods are available to do the same job... you think they would have made it a bit more worth while.
Your avatar... it's... magnificent! xD And a touch hypnotic too.

OT: Meh, didn't have a lot of hope for it anyway, it's not like they'd allow me to build myself a Skull Fortress out of the carcasses of vanquished rebels now is it? ): Oh well, I only have it on PS3 atm anyway so it'll never be available to me.

And when I get it on PC I'm already aware of the mods out there that do this better.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Sigh...massively underwhelmed

If you're played a game like the Sims before, this sounds downright terrible >_>

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I wasn't expecting something big, but that just sounds really disappointing.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Hey Nasrin, congrats on (what I'm pretty sure is) your first editorial piece!

Considering how lauded Skyrim was, I'm a little surprised that both DLC packs - each of which cost 1/3rd of the game's price themselves - seem rather subpar. I have to wonder if the development team is feeling rushed for some reason.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I'm quite disappointed with the DLC of Skyrim so far. I remember them saying how each DLC was going to be an expansion pack like Shivering Isles was. But seeing this DLC just makes me sad. Nice review by the way Nasrin. I was thinking of buying this DLC, but seeing how it is now and from what I've heard all around I'll just avoid it I guess.

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
They could have done a lot with this idea

- More House Types
- More plots of land
- Renovate a castle? There are plenty...
- They did add 1 marriage option in this mod, a redgaurd houscarl, but they could have added more (like argonians and khajjit romance options).

Obviously they are simply milking that one week of creativity from gamejam before they move on to more original, and hopefully larger, projects. What does it take to get what people want these days, a Kickstarter?

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
I love Hearthfire, now I don't have to live in any cities with annoying people in them, I can live in my own mansion overlooking a beautiful lake for once :D

Definetly worth the low sum it costs in my opinion.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
kitsuta said:
Hey Nasrin, congrats on (what I'm pretty sure is) your first editorial piece!

Considering how lauded Skyrim was, I'm a little surprised that both DLC packs - each of which cost 1/3rd of the game's price themselves - seem rather subpar. I have to wonder if the development team is feeling rushed for some reason.
Hey kitsuta! Good to hear from you!

I think Hearthfire is only 400 MP or five bucks compared to Dawnguard which was $20.

Greg

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Hurry up with that Shivering Isles-style expansion packs like you promised, Bethesda!

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
This sounds so minimal it seems like the sort of thing Todd Howard said would be added to the game as a patch, like mounted combat or the close ups for ranged kills, rather than a paid DLC.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls experience if it wasn't disappointing at first.

Modders already did it better :/

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Itsthefuzz said:
This is so true. I can get 20 mods that have this same functionality or even more functionality all for free on the computer. If anyone on the pc actually buys this mod I'll be horribly surprised.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Hurry up with that Shivering Isles-style expansion packs like you promised, Bethesda!
That wont be out at least until december of this year or jan of next year. I'm calling it right now. :)

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
I liked the reviewer's voice a lot :)
It did feel a little fake/forced at times, though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This video reminded me of two things:

1. Bethesda's "little" DLC offerings tend to be disappointing

2. Khajiit and Argonian females' necks are almost revoltingly thin

[small]Seriously, I keep expecting to hear a quiet snap and see their heads roll away.[/small]

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
So, those PC mods huh? I get Bethesda's intentions with this, but the whole thing comes off feeling like a step back to the DLC routine they had in Oblivion. Back when you'd quickly come to shell out a few bucks for spell tomes or armoured horses. On a console it's about as close as you're gonna get to building your own place to stay, but for the PC version they'll need more than that just to compare to their modding community.

And that's mounted combat in, ranged kill-cams in, kinect voices in, vampire lords in, crossbows in, house building in, child adoption in...

When are we getting seasonal foliage, spears, spell combos, stealth enhancements and giant mudcrabs?