The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

TheSpiral

Nov 10, 2011
blizzaradragon said:
this review actually has shown me that I won't be getting this game. The reason? The NPCs broke immersion for me practically every time I had to interact with one when I played Oblivion, and seeing that they didn't really improve it is a major turn-off for the game for me.
THANK YOU!!! Finally... someone who gets me.

Now, I understand it's a matter of taste, but all of the things that Steve mentioned as flaws, were not merely little things to be looked over, but the major reasons why I HATE Bethesda games. Bioware does all of the things I love... and Bethesda, In my opinion, just doesn't compare. In a Bethesda game... Your character is a lone wolf... with no emotional attachments to anything. I have never felt for my character or any other characters in a Bethesda game because they're just mechanical and impersonal. Whereas in Dragon Age, KOTOR, or Baldur's gate... I wept with my characters, felt their joy and carried a sense of responsibility for those who CHOSE to follow me based on my choices. Feeling, meaning, and character driven story, Bethesda does not offer these things. They only offer choice. And Ragdoll Physics *GRRGRAARGH*!!! Sorry.... I hate Ragdoll physics. If there is a sure fire way to remove any hint of personality or realness to an enemy it's to make them crumple like ragdolls when they die.

Yeah yeah, I get the whole make your OWN story thing. But for me, well.. I'm not as good at telling stories as the pros out there. I want to be lead by the nose through an awesome tale and maybe make a few choices that truly affect the characters around me. I just... To me.. playing a bethesda game is like picking up a Book with only the first page written out and then 200 blank pages after that with a caption saying (use your imagination here). And a Bioware game is a damn good choose your own adventure book, where sure, it's not as open and free as the blank page but it gives me focus, and a sense of feeling.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Cat of Doom said:
Zhukov said:
Five stars, eh?

So... about as good as Dragon Age 2 then?

Good to know.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Sorry, but that shit-stirring opportunity was too good to miss.
Ah, well seeing as DA2 was a brilliant game I should expect this to as well be amazing.
I have to agree with you there. I finished it a week or so ago for the first time after dithering for way too long after the bad reviews it got. I shouldn't have listened, as I really enjoyed it, even if it admittedly wasn't anywhere near as good as DA:O

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
RejjeN said:
Got it in my mailbox this morning, turns out my DVD drive is borked and won't read the any discs suddenly :/

Sadface...
You wouldn't be able to play it anyway. PC version uses Steamworks, which means you can't play it until the release-time drops on Steam, which is Midnight tonight (US East). Basically you could install it, like a pre-load, but it won't activate.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
WaysideMaze said:
The idea of getting lost in the game actually appeals to me. One of the things that I liked about Morrowind.
I remember getting lost in Morrowind too, if only for the direction people gave.

"So I have to go west for about a mile turn right at the rock formation then keep going till I find a tree that looks kind of like your aunt and go south till I find the fork in the road." Then you get hopelessly lost stumble on an ancestral tomb and go looting.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Is it possible to hold two shields?

I can just imagine the adventures of Ironfist Shackleton, the Guardian of Steel...his might is so furious that he needs to constantly protect his loved ones from himself.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
SyphonX said:
RejjeN said:
Got it in my mailbox this morning, turns out my DVD drive is borked and won't read the any discs suddenly :/

Sadface...
You wouldn't be able to play it anyway. PC version uses Steamworks, which means you can't play it until the release-time drops on Steam, which is Midnight tonight (US East). Basically you could install it, like a pre-load, but it won't activate.
Yeah, I noticed that earlier (Mind derp) when I managed to borrow a USB DVD-Drive from a friend. Even more sadface! D;

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I want to play Skyrim. I really, really do. But I can't. The Law School semester is starting to wrap up, with insane projects coming due and the grade making-or-breaking finals 3 weeks away. Now is not the time for me to get lost in my own saga of an Imperial in Skyrim, or my future legal career might suffer. To everyone else, have fun playing it. I'll join you around Christmastime.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
You have got to be yanking me, Mister Butts. Making a Magic/Melee character actually flows well?! Sold!!

DubMan

Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for not commenting on whether or not the writing has returned to Morrowind-like levels or if the aesthetic has gotten any less stale, because these were frankly the only things about this game I'm anxious to hear about.

>_>

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
yah, also one of those who got the PC version and growled when it said I need to wait until release, seriously it´s a single player game, what´s the use denying folks to play a game the day you hold your physical copy.

Oh well can´t wait to kick of my Kahjiit...still not sure how to play him tho (besides being a warrior, that I´m sure of ^^)

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
coolbluex said:
lol i think my fav part of the review is hearing steve butts curse at the lock picking section
I'm looking forward to breaking an endless amount of lockpicks. I haven't had that much fun since Fallout 3. Just gutted cashflow issues means I won't be getting it until a good bit later on. At least that gives me a good time to scout around for the best price.

I just wish the shops in town wouldn't pre-emptively put their price stickers on the game boxes the day before it's due out, right next to the "pre-order now" stickers.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
The Dutchess said:
So the beautiful world is back but all the crap bits of Oblivion I hated are also back. Except the Oblivion Gates of course ... f**k them.
Fuck was the problem with oblivion gates anyway?

I liked em :/ well except for the bit where you have to go kill loads of them 'cos it gets boring. But they do get you a whole tonne of sellable crap + a free enchant when you do them. So it seems fairs.

weirdguy said:
Is it possible to hold two shields?

I can just imagine the adventures of Ironfist Shackleton, the Guardian of Steel...his might is so furious that he needs to constantly protect his loved ones from himself.
:| are they padded shields?? They might need to be.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sonicron said:
GonzoGamer said:
Stabby Joe said:
I've only read the Guardian review (prominent UK paper, 5 stars) and the main reason I'm looking into the reviews so much is not to know whether the game is good or not, I think everything can assume it is, but how annoying the bugs are.

From what I've heard so far, they're not New Vegas bad.
Yea. I know what the game is going to be like and I'm sure that on paper it's amazing.
What's holding me back from purchasing isn't the outdated elements, it's the technical problems. And mostly I'm worried for the ps3 port which is sure to be the worst. What I'd like to hear more about in these reviews for Skyrim are how many times the reviewers' games crashed on them.
I hope that we never again see a game with as many problems as New Vegas. That was a disaster. But this is the same publisher so you know they'll give anything the green light to go to the shelves.
That's my main concern as well. I fear many reviewers will simply gloss over all the technical troubles in favour of more exuberant gushing; it's been years since I last played a good fantasy game, and I do have a hankering for another one at this time, but Bethesda are not getting any of my sweet, sweet cash before I'm reassured about Skyrim's stability... which is why I'm waiting for user reviews.
Me too but I don't usually trust the user reviews too. Too many gamers have an aversion to admit that they have wasted their money and will rave about some really horrible games.

I'm just going to keep my eye on Bethesda's forums for submitting technical problems:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/forum/182-playstation-3/
That's where we'll hear the real dirt on it.