The End of Flash? Firefox Is Now Automatically Blocking Flash By Default

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure I know of any. What do you mean?
At the risk of facing mod-wrath, I was referring to addons that automatically block certain scripts and flash players.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh, whoops. I didn't even think that might be where you were going. I thought maybe there was something specific to this security issue or soemthing. Sorry.
I was mildly vague with my post, so I understand the confusion.

Though, more confusingly, how the hell did your response post come before my post?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh, whoops. I didn't even think that might be where you were going. I thought maybe there was something specific to this security issue or soemthing. Sorry.
I was mildly vague with my post, so I understand the confusion.

Though, more confusingly, how the hell did your response post come before my post?
I got a notification and responded. It links to this post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.878405-The-End-of-Flash-Firefox-Is-Now-Automatically-Blocking-Flash-By-Default?page=2#22129142], however, which says something different now. Also, I got a second notification. Weird.

I blame Time Lord treachery.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I blame Time Lord treachery.
Rule #1: The Doctor lies.

OT: I should point out that it's only ever the Escapist that has caused me script errors. The rest is fine. What are they even getting tetchy about?

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Good , its a bloody pain in the arse and a massive security flaw , just like active x its time for it to go.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Well thank god. It's way past time to dump that buggy, bloated, insecure piece of garbage. Both Chrome and Firefox should have dumped all support for it six months after HTML5 came out.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'll gladly support your move if you can provide a suitable replacement Mozilla, I would have never used the pile of shit that was Flash if websites didn't force me into it. But until there is something else I sadly do still need to use that pile of dog dirt.

Also HTML5 is not fleshed out yet, yes they have video tags and all that great stuff but there are no exact standards on how the video players should work so everyone can implement the functionality that will work on all platforms, which is the critical part in replacing shit like Flash.

drakonz

Mar 1, 2014
mad825 said:
Trolololol Firefox. You still can't get 60FPS @ 1080p on youtube, in fact 1080p is disabled when using HTML5. Updates concerning HTML 5 didn't happen until Youtube started to penalise Flash users so Mozilla needs to be put down a notch because they still heavy rely on Flash.
umm 1080p 60 fps works fine for me in firefox so most likely the problem is in your computer if its not working for you.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Good riddance. Flash is outdated as all hell and really has to be replaced. It's resource inefficient, slow, and a huge security risk.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
It's really easy to re-enable everywhere. Just go to Add-Ons and its under Plug-Ins. Alternatively, you could always find an extension that players HTML5 videos instead of Flash, but at least from my experience, those often only work on the most popular sites (well, at least beyond being hit-or-miss)
You only need two things for that.

To be on a website what has gotten a recent (3 year?) update from a competent Web Developer, which is beyond your control, and you simply need an up-to-date version of whichever browser you're using, which is in your control.

Easy!

On topic though?

Ding-Dong! The witch is dead...

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
gigastar said:
Oh so thats what happened.

Like hell im turning Flash off. Cant watch anime or youtube nor can i do anything on Newgrounds.

It did have the nice side effect of slaying all the ads though :p

Does kind of remind you just how old Flash is though. Its original incarnations date back to 1995.
Yeah, with most/lots/all of the ads out of my way, I kind of like this feature.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
It stopped nagging me after I updated it.

I really do dislike Adobe though. When I found out that they had bought Flash I knew it's days were numbered. My only real surprise is just how long it took.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Ah yes lets return to the pre flash days when every site required a different video player Quicktime, RealPlayer, DivX Player etc all full of security holes. /s

Firefox is blocking old Flash versions not the new ones and while HTML5 has some good points it can't yet do everything Flash can.

Also if HTML5 get's the 90% of the market that Flash currently has we will be quickly back to security holes everyday.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
mad825 said:
Trolololol Firefox. You still can't get 60FPS @ 1080p on youtube, in fact 1080p is disabled when using HTML5. Updates concerning HTML 5 didn't happen until Youtube started to penalise Flash users so Mozilla needs to be put down a notch because they still heavy rely on Flash.
Wait, what? It's flash that's limited to 30FPS by default on youtube, not HTML5, which obviously also plays resolutions higher than 720p. Maybe actually use a video at 1080p to test it next time...

Flash is trash and the sooner it's gone, the better. Btw, it's not actually "blocked"; it's just disabled by default. Takes one click reactivate it if you really miss it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Rule #1: The Doctor lies.
Spoilers!

OT: I should point out that it's only ever the Escapist that has caused me script errors. The rest is fine. What are they even getting tetchy about?
I get 'em on a few sites.

I think what bothers me more is the non-error moments when sites with flash cause my browser to chug. I've had this issue with some Escapist content in the past, so it's not to get them off the hook.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
If it forces Adobe to step up and turn Flash into something better, fuck it why not. They stopped caring so now we stop caring.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
Ah yes lets return to the pre flash days when every site required a different video player Quicktime, RealPlayer, DivX Player etc all full of security holes.
Not going to happen. HTML5 just works*. For video content anyways.

(*and if you keep the video in question in 2 versions)

Soviet Heavy said:
And for websites like Blip?
Wait a few days and see how immensely fast they will have full-fledged HTML5-support. If they've got their wids in x264 and/or ogg already, then it's absolutely no big deal. The hard part is maintaining two working versions with feature parity.

And to whoever said that security holes will come to HTML5, too: Yes, but fewer. It's by design. You see, HMTL5 is nothing but a standard. Flash is a whole program. As long as there are not security flaws in lib264, libaac, libvorbis and libflac, HTML5 will be secure. And if there are holes in those libraries, well guess what? As long as sites don't transcode to the incredibly sucky flv, flash has those security holes, too, in addition to their own ones.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Strazdas said:
There has been an alternative for years. its called HTML5. Its vastly superior.
And for websites like Blip?
Nothing is preventing Blip from using HTML5 except themselves.

Seriusoly though, what the hell happened to Blip. It used to be great video host, now i only see it for old videos because everyone i like ran away from it and it seems to host crap now. not to mention that their own servers are incapable of loading videos in high resolution for some reason.