The Escapist Avatar Adventure: An Open RP (Now Re-Opened!)

NotYetForsaken

Power in Procedure
Sep 27, 2010
Code:
[[Side Story]]
[hr]
Overshadowed Sibling
Code:
teresa's story
[hr]

Code:
"Teresa has always been a crybaby.
Most of the time I can't stomach the idea of having to call her my sister"
Miriam Lockstar​

"How can you be so calm?" Teresa said, her breaths a ghastly rhythm. She looked up at Lucifer from the side of her eyes, holding the cover of her mantle close to herself. The red of her wounds were bleeding out from their usual neat borders. She seemed far more agitated than normal. "Her influence is everywhere... I can't stand it. Now I think I'd rather be with Venia than here."

Teresa's eyes darted frantically back and forth. Her skin was a deathly pallor.

Then she seemed to calm down. Her eyes unfocused and the blood ran in jaunty droplets out of her blood tattoos. "Some place to rest would be nice. Yes. Away from the sun, please."

System Message said:
The following entities have encountered a fatal error and have been restored.
Code:
/characters/Diablo1099/Doom.char
/characters/Diablo1099/Cortex.char
/characters/Diablo1099/Wesker.char
Code:
/spawn (Doom.char, Cortex.char, Wesker.char) 0 0
Spawning Entities: at coordinates (X,Y), (0,0).
User note: Entities have now died (7) times. Please be more careful.
In a flash of light, Wesker, Cortex, and Doom appeared in the origin plains. It was somewhat delayed, but it seemed like they were fine. The last thing that they remembered was the flash of light enveloping the world.

System Message said:
Foreign Entity detected. Attempting to parse...
Entity identified as
Code:
master level character file
Attempting to access
Code:
Teresa.char
Access has been denied. File requires higher permissions.
Code:
/delete Teresa.char
Access has been denied. Entity is
Code:

Code:
asweogjaberoibasdfbaseoubaej
"asweogjaberoibasdfbaseoubaej" is not a recognized command.

Code:
/help moderator
A moderator is a high level character entity. A moderator may only be added or removed by the system administrator. For more information, please contact your system administrator.
Code:
/msg BlackHarte Hey, your little sister is here. What should I do with her?
BlackHarte said:
Busy fixing the the campaign trigger right now. If you don't have permissions to handle it, then leave it alone and I'll take a look after I finish fixing all the things that broke from that emergency reset.
Code:
/r Yeah, okay. She doesn't look like she's too thrilled to be here. She'll probably leave by herself?
BlackHarte said:
She's pretty much a shut in. I don't imagine that she'll cause too much trouble.
Teresa snapped back into lucidity and sat up. The blood ran back up into her open wounds and she slowly got to her feet, knees shaking as she did. "Okay, just... I need somewhere dark to sit, away from the sun. I'm a little... sensitive to the outdoors." Teresa leaned into Luke as she struggled to move. All the strength had left her legs for some reason.

The light still weighed on her shoulders, but now there was something else. There was a primal fear in her stomach. She felt almost like she was petrified with fear. It was that same overpowering feeling she had felt in the presence of the Golden Monster. She shook her head slowly, it felt like her brain was rattling around in her skull, so she stopped abruptly.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
The Escapist Avatar Adventures | Child in Chains | Some Freaky-Ass Jungle on Suwa
"Give that chest a rest!"
B.C.
[hr]

B.C.'s pink eyes immediately narrowed to neon-colored slits at Syl's flinch. This chick knew Balance. She supposed it shouldn't be surprising, since this felt exactly like how she was pulled from one place to another without any kind of input from her. At least this time she wasn't unarmed. As the two crawled away from the Mahnamahna as they stomped, chomped, and blasted away the soldiers behind them, the Convict listened as this big-tittied 'native' girl started to bullshit her about the planet. It didn't take long for her to drop it entirely.

"This is Suwa, an ultra-Earth in the Talmus cluster. It's the homeworld to the Dahmahwa, of which that thing is but a soldier drone. They're an intergalactic space-faring biological race that have terrorized this part of the Galaxy for the last several hundred years. Those guys are pirates here to capture and sell the native humans as sex slaves. Idiots if you ask me, they're so much more useful for navigating the underworld here. They're the only thing that the Dahmahwa don't attack on sight, for god knows whatever reason."

B.C. paused to glance back at the hulking Mahnamahna. That thing was just a soldier drone? And given how they were intergalactic terrorists or something, and had been for a few centuries, she was forcibly reminded of the good-old Intergalactic Confederacy of Thoom. Oh how she hated them and anyone that reminded her of them. She scarcely felt sympathy for the pirates, however. Sex slavery was so... Tacky. She was about to voice those thoughts and more when she was once again smothered by large, pillowy breasts.

Despite the heavy, thudding footsteps that passed over them, she made a few mammary-muffled protests before Syl pushed herself back off, leaving a gasping Anarchist laying back in the grass, red-faced and more than a little annoyed.

"Now who are you, and how in the name of high heavens do you know Balance."

She rolled her hot-pink eyes and irritably said, "I'm Bethany Carson, if you must know, and I know Balance because she's a huge, crystal ***** that ruined my fucking day! She just snatched me up in the middle of shopping, had me beat this brat's ass, then up and shattered because of some... Thing. I don't know what it was, but there you go."

Turning over and propping herself up with both hands so that she could glare at Syl properly, she added through clenched teeth, "Now will you quit it with the tits?! Do I look like some perverted shut-in, or a dirty old man? I don't think being smothered by your naughty pillows to be a good way to die, thank you! The fuck is your deal?!"

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Child in Chains
Code:
bonnie's story
[hr]

Syl covered her chest with her hands, "Excuse me!" She shook her head, blonde hair floating back and forth in the air like it didn't subscribe to either the humidity or the gravity of the world. "You should count yourself lucky that I have such generous curves. Otherwise the Dahmahwa might have eaten both of us."

The cascading bellow of the two titanic creatures a little ways away brought the, back to the matter at hand. "Not that my breasts are the issue here!" Syl started down the jungle, her chains following her like a trail of wind chimes. "But to hear that Balance was in her crystal form... and shattered at that," Syl sighed, "though I doubt that she is dead. If that were truly the case then I would have already heard about it."

Two birds landed near them and chirped. They were colorful, feathers a sunset orange that faded into gentle lavender. Theh hopped around on some low hanging branches and watched the two women curiously. Syl pushed deeper still into the jungle, hugging large boulders and deep brush when she could find it.

"If you were Balance's champion... or something like that... then she must have been in quite a pinch. You're absolutely nothing like any of her other champions," Syl said dryly. She swung her chain over a thick branch and tugged hard, breaking the bough off. She caught the lengthy piece of wood and struck it into the earth she was standing on. Then she wrapped her chain around the branch-turned-stake and began to rub it furiously, stripping the bark off of the wooden rod. Soon a thick milky syrup started to bead from the branch. She tore it out from the ground and handed the sheared rod to B.C.

"Strip and lather yourself with this. You don't look like a Shuwan girl, but you definitely don't smell like one. And the latter is more likely to draw attention to us." Syl took a bit of the sap herself and smeared it over her chain, her cloth top, her chest, and her shoulders. "Plus, it also protects you from the suns once we break out from the canopy. The atmosphere here doesn't have ozone so the radiation is quite something fierce."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

...Who said that?...How are you-

Despite Rugal' best intentions, it became clear that it was a massive mistake to make the comments he just made.
Remaining stoic, even as he was slapped, he then finished his glass before explaining himself: "...The world I hail from still has Slaves. But there is no illusions of honor or grace. More often then not it is merely an extension of the twisted desires of even more twisted individuals. An excuse by the powerful to bring out the worst of humanity and to inflict it on the powerless. I know this because I witnessed it first hand. So much so I have little patience for such practices in any form. If this view offends you then I shall take up your offer..."

Standing up and adjusting his outfit, he bowed slightly before adding "I shall await outside your estate until you depart for Pompeii. And if you feel so threatened by my words, then I shall not speak them again. I bid you all good night and I shall rejoin you in the morning."
He then began to take his leave, his mind marred by his own experiences with such "Twisted Desires" from his past.
Transactions with human traffickers, meetings held at slave auctions, even his own estate had a captive workforce too!
The parallels were a bit too close for comfort, to the point where he could honestly see himself sleeping better out in the elements then among such company.
Still, despite what had happened, it wasn't an entire loss: A figure reached out to speak to him to protest his actions, possibly the same one that sent him here in the first place.

Making his way outside, he then started attempting to contact the being that spoke to him.
...Who are you? Why did you speak to me? What spurred you to speak to me? How are you able to speak to me like this? He began to ask, hoping this voice would react to his questioning.
...Are you the reason I am now in the middle of Rome? If so, spare yourself some pain and say so now...

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"You are an interesting human, Rugal Bernstein. But unfortunately, I am no god. I'm just telepathic," Kyuubey said as he appeared from behind a column. He was a white cat-like creature, with soft white fur that was so delicate that it did not disturb the dust resting on the dirt road in front of the Lucretius' estate. He waved his tail back and forth, the tip curving to mimic the shape of the crescent move above.

He hopped onto the stone wall that ran alongside the road. The air was cool and the soft chirping of crickets filled the summer air. "I am curious as well. Who sent you here? Where are you from? When are you from?" He sat down. His eyes glimmered in the moonlight. They were deep scarlet, so intensely red that it was almost like they were glowing.

"Allow me to tell you these things, Rugal Bernstein, to satisfy my own curiosities. I did not bring you here. I do not know what brought you here. But you are so strange. Your karmic destiny is so incredibly weak. If I had to make an educated guess, it's like someone tried to erase you from existence." He cocked his head, holding a perfect and unchanging cat's smile.

Kyuubey paced higher on the wall until he was between Rugal and moon. The crescent drooped over in the sky, beautiful alabaster enveloped Kyuubey. He sat down, tail waving back in forth. "Travelling back in time is impossible. Entropy does not function in such a way. The most that can happen is another entropy stack is created in a similar configuration as a past you remember. So who put you here, I wonder."

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
[hr]

The Origin Planes

Original thoughts?

[hr]

Being scolded by a little kid did not dampen Diana's black mood, but it made her rethink her own manners. "I'm sorry." She said, sarcastically. "I also thought we were on the Dawn. Seemingly not? Even though it is right here.
Something must have gone terribly wrong!"

She looked at the grassy Hillary. "And you, whatever you are ... you at least don't really seem responsible for this either. Hey ..." she smiled a friendly fake smile at Ton Ton, Cadolbolg and Hillary. "You want to help me find out who did this? And how? It had to have been someone on the Dawn, right? I mean, we could also try to help other people here, but, no offense, a ruined dress seems to be the most terrible thing that happened here. So ..." She shrugged.

"I can turn into anything you want, so if you see something and find it suspicious, come to me and I check it out, in the form most fitting to spy on people. We can possibly have a lot of fun with that."

[hr]

Reason to Rise

Code:
[i]anjali's story[/i]

[hr]

Anjali would have blushed if there had been any drop of blood left in her. "Of course." she said, and covered herself with the blanket. "I mean, I hope my ... eyes won't raise any suspicion either. I felt scared of myself as I first looked into a mirror again ..."

She looked on the raft to see if there was anything she could carry as well, and if there was, she would pick it up like Vil. "This questions might sound simple." she answered Vil, "But they are very difficult for me to answer. I do not know what I am. Well, I know I am neither dead nor alive, but ... I do not know what kind of creature I am. Just that I was a human in the past, possibly ages ago, and then woke up, in a swamp not unlike the one you found me in. I felt something guide me ... like feelings that were not my own, but I knew they were important. Then, I went through a portal ... maybe one also brought me here?"

She looked to Vil with a questioning look, if such a thing was even possible. "I met some people on a flying ship called the Rising Dawn, and I was about to take part in their missions, but then ... before I even did anything, there was this ball. And before I even knew what was going on, someone was shot? At least I think so. Then, I woke up where you found me. Right after. Not even these feelings can guide me right now."

She was not able to carry much, but she felt no strain in her muscles as she did so. She knew she could go on carrying for ages, not stopping once. "That is where I am from, at least as much as I know. And I would like to ... like to return to the Rising Dawn." She smiled at him, trying not to be intimidating. "But, that is also the only thing I know. Maybe there is a portal somewhere, that can bring me back? And if it is not too much to ask for your help. And like I said before, if you need my help with anything, I would like to prove myself useful to you. I don?t know how, yet, either, but there has to be something here that I can help you fix?"

Anjali hesitated for a moment, then added: "I don't know why I was thinking there is something to fix, here. I am probably wrong."

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
[hr]
Lost to Love
Inuart's Story​
[hr]

"I knew such a wonderful person like you wouldn't fail. Oh what a knight in shining armor you are."

"But I did not do anything."

Inuart held his tongue as the offending words threatened to claw out of his throat, confusion and uncertainty clouding his thoughts. How was it he had become so intimately familiar with this place? He looked around at the strange city he and Alesha found himself in, somehow able to take in the signs and the language as if it were his mother tongue. His head throbbed at the disconnect between memory and the 'false ones' given to him but whatever strange power brought him to this city. His eyes flickered to Alesha, who had made herself cozy against his body, and considered what he had seen and felt before - this sudden knowledge of this town, it's general layout as well as the political tensions it sat between... it was most likely her doing. He would have to continue to play along as bodyguard to her temple, his mind racing to considering the next course of action. There were *many* things he could do, but it was a matter of what would get something done quickest. He decided then, he would 'consult' his usual frame of reference when he found himself at a loss - his friends.

He allowed his mind to wander, thinking to himself, "Let's see...What would my friends do if they were my shoes? Doom and Neo would just *science* at it, Bruiser would strong arm it, Bison would use his powers to mentally control everyone in the nearby radius...which leaves Albert. What would Albert do?"

Albert was always the most sound and logical of their group; traits Inuart always respected [sub](and perhaps envied a little, if only due to his own lack therof)[/sub]. If Albert were in his place, he would extract as much information as possible from his clingy associate, consider every possible angle, eliminate the impractical courses of action, and then make a decision without hesitation. Though, Inuart couldn't help but wonder if Albert would have been a bit more brusque about the lady's clingy behavior; but for now he'd endure it. Barring her strangeness, there was a lot to mull over.

He was a stranger in this land of Ypris, which somehow bore his father's name and did not. He thought it strange, how they sounded the same, but the meanings were different. If what he could see from the amenities about him, he could gather that the citizens probably used coin for money, as was commonplace in his old world. Regrettably, his wealth in his new homeland was in numbers hidden in a bank, in 'cash', in 'card'. Convenient, but distinctly intangible compared to the systems he grew up with. Without money, establishing a home base was going to be difficult en route to the priestess' location...what was it called again?

He wracked his brains for it, and then recalled a name - 'Crosis', which she was going to from 'Tear' after performing some harvest rituals. Alesha called herself the Daughter of Ypris, which would seem to indicate a title or ranking. If she was part of some hierarchy, then perhaps there was a temple he could exploit as a halfway house between destinations, and gather more information about this world's capacity for magic. Alesha certainly seemed powerful, but Inuart was uncertain about whether or not this was exclusive to her priesthood (if she was in fact a part of one), or powers she herself contained. The last thing he needed to get back to his world was to carry some hanger-on with him; so he'd have to think over a plan of ditching her as well...but first things first, some questions, as well as getting her off his person - or at least at a slightly more manageable distance. Why was she sticking so uncomfortably close to him? Did she have no sense of propriety?

Scooting away from Alesha's little embrace, he pointedly moved her hand to his arm instead; enough to keep her close, but not uncomfortably so. He took a look around Kaltrope, still reeling from the depth of information that had wormed its way into his skull, before looking back at his companion. He did his best to keep his voice level and nonthreatening, despite his mounting frustrations and confusion about the situation, "I have a few more questions for you. You told me earlier you were going to a place named Crosis. Tell me about it, and the priesthood you belong to. At least, based of what you've told me thus far, you were performing some harvest rites, and I'm presuming you calling yourself 'the Daughter of Ypris' is a hierarchical title of some kind. Does it or Crosis have a reputation? Is discussing Crosis or the priests a taboo? If I'm going to ask for directions, I'd rather not have someone attempt to cut my throat because I've caused some sort of offense."

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Reason to Rise
Code:
[i]anjali's story[/i]
[hr]

Vil laughed. It was a loud, hollow, mechanical laugh that echoed from inside of the white armor that the creature wore. The laugh was not unkind for though it was sick and raspy, as if worn from use, it was full of a warm mirth like that of a grandfather. It conjured the image of fire in the soul, a likeness of family and friends as flame flickered in a hearth. "Such a commitment!" Vil said, "There are so many things that need fixing that you would still be here after a million of even my long lifetimes."

Vil put his fingered hand on Anjali's back and gently patted her, "Such an honest child, I am sure that your mother, wherever she lies, is very proud of you."

---​

They entered the guild hall through one of the many loading bays in the rear of the building. Around them were many others. They were dressed in a thousand different ways, and looked to speak about the same number of languages. There were old men in clean suits barking at small automatons, young women in overalls riding the back of gargantuan beasts of burden, children even who wove between the crates and containers moving in and out of the building.

Here the guild hall looked different. Unlike the front half which boasted beautiful anarchic decorations, the rear was fully devoted to industrial use. Several docks lined the open air complex where furnaces chugged black smoke into vents in the high ceiling. Each artisan had their own little smelting group, lined up behind a furnace waiting for their turn. Several guild workers, brawny men dressed in thick armored cloth, shoveled heaps of coal into the gaping mouth of the main oven.

Vil stalked toward Freya, his steps were silent as to keep away from the attentions of the busy members of the Alchemist's Guild.

"What do you mean you wont let me use the furnace?" Freya was already in a confrontation with one of the foremen at the mouth of the smaller furnaces. "What kind of bullshit is that? I paid my fuckin' dues!"

The foreman shook his head and ran his finger through thick bristly black sweat-slick hair, he licked his lips and said apologetically, "I'm sorry Allyone, the Director's orders. If you have an issue, please take it up with him."

"What, does the ************ want me to sleep with him or something? Fuckin' calling me out by name that little piece-of-shit dick-sucking ****-swabbing incomprehensible knob-end." Freya scowled and spun on her heel. "Come on Duggin, let me at least smelt my loot for today! I'll get it sorted out before the next expedition date, I swear on my immortal soul."

The foreman, Duggin, shifted uncomfortably on his feet. He shook his head, closing his eyes in some deep thought. "Fine, fine. Make it quick before any of the other foremen see you at the ovens."

Freya grinned, "Owe you one, Duggin. Come by my room anytime you want to cash in," Freya turned around with a wink.

"Damn woman will be the death of me, I know it," Duggin grumbled as he moved down the line of waiting alchemists.

Vil put his hand back on Anjali and swept them both toward Freya with great long strides. He was keen to let as little of the other people see them as possible.

"Cor wants to see you again?" Vil asked as he let the basket of metal scraps down gently on the ground near the furnace. He motioned for Anjali to do the same with her basket of crystals and metals.

"When does that piece of smegma-eating shit stain not want to see me?" Freya answered, putting her hands on her hips. "Stupid asshole isn't doing enough directing as he is just micromanaging the place."

"Freya," Vil said softly. He put his hand on her head, "am I causing you trouble?"

"No!" Freya balked, embarrassed at the volume of her interjection, "No... that's not it. It's got nothing to do with you Vil. I just, I just have to work things out between me and him, that's all. I wouldn't be surprised if this was his was of trying to get me to go to dinner or something, y'know. Never can know with Cor, and that's one of the things I can't stand about him."

"Well, then, you are able to take it from here?" Vil continued in the same kind and reserved tone.

"Yeah, well... yeah, no. I'm fine. You can take swamp girl-"

"Anjali," Vil corrected.

"Anjali, to the workshop. I'll meet you there once I have all the processed materials. Thanks." Freya turned around and started to order a workshop automaton to heave the metals into the furnace. The red glow of the fire obfuscated her embarrassed blush.

---​

"Noltell shifted last night," an adventurer said sadly as he reclined on a wooden chair in the restaurant inside of the guild hall. He looked upwards and fiddled with his hat, "It was something insane too. I think it moved three, maybe four miles out further to the East."

A second person at the table shook her head. She was clearly not human, even from a distance. A cat's tail swung lazily back and forth near the end of her chair and her ears perked forward as she leaned over her plate of food, "Think that there were artifacts unearthed beneath Noltell?" She grinned, eyes sparkling with anticipation.

The first adventurer sighed and ran a finger along the nook of his ear, "Heard rumors that there's a Crimson Congregation ritual site there in the before-times. If there aren't artifacts there, well, at the very least somebody is going to pay good coin to scout out the new area."

Vil lead Anjali through the restaurant and up several flight of winding staircases up to a balcony that overlooked the entire dining area. Anjali could hear clearly from the second floor the many conversations that filled up the space in the Alchemist's guild. There were an immense amount of people, and not just Alchemists. There were adventurers, mercenaries, merchants, and bards as well as the magical craftsmen. They spoke in strange terms of far-away places. But a few key words kept coming up again. Roil, Crimson Congregation, Lacrima, Artifact, Soul Essence, and Ekroia were quite popular.

In some few sparse moments, Vil had shepherded Anjali to a small wooden door deep in the hallways of the second floor. He pushed it open and waved his hand, sending a spark flying through the room, lighting all sorts of filaments. The room was bathed in a glow of warm yellow light.

The workshop had a lot less potions than an alchemist should really have. What Freya's workshop had was metal, tons of it. They were laid out in heaps of intricate gears and pulleys. Thick fibers of woven steel that were fashioned in the image of muscles, mechanical arms and legs, skeletons of dark blue steel. And every now and again there were small tear-shaped crystals lying in small mechanical hearts. The glow of the lights made them seem to hold fire.

"It is not much," Vil said as he closed the door and stood up to his full height. He stretched out his legs and arms, "but it is what Freya and I call home. For now, until we find a way to return you to your Rising Dawn, it will also be your home."

He motioned to the parts laying across the room, "Freya is a puppeteer. She inherited both her guild membership and her skills from her father, who was a master puppeteer. She works hard to live up to his legacy, but she is struggling. Because of her obsession, she does not have many friends. You look around her age, so I think it would be nice if you two could get along." Vil smiled beneath his mask, a sheepish smile of a doting grandparent.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"...So rather then back in time...I'm in a parallel timeline instead...Glad we cleared that up..." Rugal snarked slightly, not exactly pleased to see this creature again.
Still, it did give him a better idea of what exactly happened to him and possibly the other members of his crew.
"...So tell me this: Is there anyone else who has been "Displaced" like myself? Did this being try to "Erase" anyone else?" He then asked as he walked down the road, attempting to find a good place to set down for the night.
Glancing back at the creature as they walked, he added "...What of Dolores? Before this all happened I had seen you with her. If you had nothing to do with all this, then perhaps she did?"

A brief walk later, he settled upon a nearby tree on the road into Livia's estate, far enough to avoid any rude awakenings but close enough to catch her trip to Pompeii.
Using his Slashing Aura, he then began to tear some fire-wood off the tree's trunk, like a knife though an apple, until he had enough for a decent camp-fire.
A simple ki-blast later and he had a proper fire, one that he'd rest at for the night.
"...Can you at least tell me if my family is alright? Do you know that much?..." He then asked, almost a bit keen for a bad answer: Been a while since he was able to skin a cat...

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Lost to Love
Inuart's Story​
[hr]

"You're a funny one," Alesha laughed. She took two steps forward and two steps back, setting her cloak aflutter in the breeze. Her next words danced on her lips. The entire world seemed to grow silent and still. Her voice did not reach Inuart, but Inuart knew what she had said, "of course you know."

---​

A mountain, far in the north, swathed in snow. The steep cliffs and deep valleys hid ruins of ancient civilizations, two thousand, four thousand, six thousand, eight thousand years old. A living god lay sleeping at the peak hidden in the clouds. It's name was Crosis. Every two thousand years, he awoke and cleansed the world, Ypris. This mountain was the center of it all, the beginning, the end, the home, and the grave.

Away from the shadowy figure of the God-Judge Crosis was an endless plain of dead pilgrims, each bowed in reverence and exhaustion at the journey to the holy mountains. There were men and women, the elderly and the young. All had fallen to attrition.

The God awoke and the land shook under its might. Rolling storms of fire and lightning washed away people and cities alike, leaving nothing but ruin.

As the firestorm roared across the world, a single girl reached the God on the mountain above. Her thin emancipated body looked to be on the verge of breaking against the force of the bitter winds. She reached out with her hands, pleading for Crosis to hand her salvation, to give her the reward she had crossed the world to receive.

The God looked down and saw the girl. It was curious how she had survived for so long, as weak as she was, and how she had reached it.

Her answer was inaudible. But from the God's reaction, it was satisfactory. The God gifted her a piece of itself, a emerald gem that she swallowed. This girl was worthy to see the next world. To see the God's next beautiful experiment.

The girl fell into a deep sleep.

When the girl woke up, she was in a field of green grass next to a lake. She was bare, but the wind was not cold. She stood up, alone in the world, and then she began to cry. She had been blessed, but the world she knew was gone, buried beneath a layer of ash two thousand years thick.

The girl stood up and began to walk. Where she would go, prosperity followed. At first it was flowers that bloomed as she passed, but soon it became the birthing of creeks and the sprouting of forests. Gold and silver bled from the earth where she slept, and soon after that, the first cities rose from the stone.

And those cities became the home to people. Then came agriculture, then came invention. Then soon, war broke. The humans fought each other bitterly for the resources of Ypris. The girl was horrified and gave herself to the humans to quell their thirst for resources. The humans took her greedily.

Where she walked, the harvests were plentiful. Where she bathed the waters grew sweet. Where she laid, the mineral veins would run deep. And where she bled, the earth itself would bloom with life.

But soon the humans grew greedy. They told stories of how to best make use of the girl.

Cut her up! One man said. Scatter her innards across the fields to grow a forest with game eternal!

Bind her in a prison! Another proposed. Stuff her deep in the earth so that we can mine riches!

A man in black proposed something else. Let us partake of her flesh, so that we also may live lives eternal.

The humans captures the girl as she was hopping between two borders one day. They drank of her blood and consumed her flesh in vain hopes of gaining immortality. The man in black simply watched from afar as the humans fell into their destructive vices.

For a small while it seemed that their plan worked. Their fields grew with frenzy and their mines ran with minerals as a river runs with water. And they themselves grew young and strong. The girl, however, did not die. She did not begrudge them either, for she had done much the same two thousand years before. But the girl could not die.

Another two thousand years passed and Crosis awoke, spewing ash, fire, and lightning over the entire world. In the cleansing, none but the girl survived again.

When the girl woke up, she was in a field of green grass next to a lake. She was bare, but the wind was not cold. She stood up, alone in the world,. She had been blessed, but the world she knew was gone, buried beneath a layer of ash two thousand years thick. From there she began to walk again.

And the same thing happened again.

And again.

And again.

The same man-in-black would herald the end of an age, the end of mankind, and the waking of the god.

The cycle repeated a thousand times, ten thousand times, a hundred thousand times. Then one day, the girl stood at the peak of Crosis and addressed the God as he awoke.

Bless these children, for they cannot know the wayward nature of their own hearts. The girl pleaded to the God. The God listened and thought on the subject. It was unsure, but in the end, it allowed the girl to change the experiment. This time, the righteous humans would survive the cataclysm.

The girl was overjoyed. For finally she had companions in her journeys.

These people called the girl mother. And she provided for them. Her harvests filled their storehouses with plenty. Her blood and milk cured the infirm, and her presence soothed the mind. Life was good for her followers. After two thousand years, the man-in-black appeared again. He bid the girl's followers to take greedily from their mother. Their simple hearts were swayed by greed, and they attacked her.

Soon Crosis awoke again and his fires cleansed the world.

But half of the humans survived. Those that did not fall to the man-in-black's temptations. The girl had prevailed. Her followers, though few in number, survived. After more cycles their numbers bolstered. The true believers grew in strength until even Crosis' fire and fury did not cull their numbers.

The girl who was their mother grew ever so distant as invention superseded her. No longer did the people need her stone buildings or simple harvests, or plentiful game. They irrigated and farmed, and domesticated the animals of which they ate. And soon in the cycles, she started to wane in power. Though she was once a mother to all humans, a martyr for their salvation, she became and idol, and then from there fell to a priest, and then from their fell further until all she was known was by her name, "the Daughter." She was someone that the people looked after, but did not need. Of this fate, the girl was content.

But then the cycles happened again, and the people neither blessed by the girl nor tainted by the man-in-black died in the rolling thunderstorms.

Those that survived grew to see the girl not as a person, but a tool. A thing to use to survive the wrath of Crosis. Those in her presence would be spared come the storms of the apocalypse. So she turned from "the Daughter" to "the Gem." And the world fought wars over her, to hold her favor and her protection come the end of time.

But cycles and cycles after that, even that reason was forgotten.

Now the people fought over the girl without remembering the reason at all. Even the girl herself had forgotten the reason why. She began to believe that she was indeed just a tool for bringing good harvests and good fortunes. She could not remember why it was so important for the kingdoms of man to possess her.

And neither did the kingdoms of man remember.

But Ypris remembered. Ypris remembers each tear that stained the face of its daughter. Each anguished second of her lonely wanderings. Though all other forget, Ypris does not forget. That high on mount Crosis, where the God of the same name lay slumbering in a dreamless sleep, that two thousand years of good fortune had come and gone. The cycles would continue.

To the ears of those born of it, Ypris is silent. Too imperceptible to notice. But to those who are foreign, like the man-in-black, and are still sensitive to the pleas of the world, the land itself speaks.

---​

"Crosis is the city where the temple is!" she laughed, "Of course it's not taboo! No matter where someone is from, they know that the blessing of the Priestesses of Ypris are quite a big deal." She motioned to herself, "Our very presence blesses the earth to give good harvests and the people good fortune. A priestess is something quite valuable, to Crior especially, but even the Farren to some extent."

Alesha gripped Inuart's hand tightly, "Don't be so tense! As long as I'm by your side, then nothing bad can happen. Just take a confident step forward with an objective in mind, and I'm sure you'll be able to accomplish it, Mr. Hero."

[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"You don't listen very well do you?" Kyuubey asked as he dropped down next to Rugal. "I wasn't lying when I said that this is the first time I have met you. I don't know who this 'Dolores' person is, nor do I know anything about your 'family.'" He shook his head and sat down next to the fire. "Additionally, that you were erased was only a hypothesis based on initial observations. I have yet to truly know the nature of your existence, Rugal Bernstein."

Kyuubey waved his tail back and forth slowly. His unblinking eyes stayed on Rugal, "You must see a lot of yourself in that girl." Then Kyuubey got up and began to walk back toward the estate.

"Mister," came a soft voice from behind the cobblestone wall. A young woman peaked out from behind the wall, "What are you doing out here?" The girl was some years older than Livia, but still nowhere near being an adult. She was the servant from the road before, unlike the servants in the homestead, she had nice curly brown hair and olive skin. She was wearing a white cotton tunic and sandals in lieu of her serving gown from earlier. "It is not like Mistress Livia to kick out a guest, even for rude behavior. What happened?"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Origin Plains: Rising Dawn Landing Zone: David West, Jenny, Blade, Dr. Violet

Silently taking Teri for the save there with Diana, David once again began to ponder what exactly happened that caused them to end up here.
"...ehhhh, "Fun" mightn't be the word I'd use but noted none the less. Just start checking the ship, see if there is anything out of place." He ordered somewhat ineffectively, not massively sure what to do about the current situation himself.
Everything felt-...wrong for lack of a better term, it felt like a bad night out as even simple movements and notions felt like they had a-..."Delay" about them.
"Uhhh....w-what happened?..." Jenny began to mumble as she was stirred awake, picking herself up off the ground and-
"...What the-...Jenny?...Hey JJ! Over here!" David called out, stopping himself slightly as he noticed something..."Different" about his Gardevoir friend.
"Uh...strange, don't remember landing..."
"...But-...weren't you-...sorry can I just-" The Irishman insisted before looking her up and down as if something was wrong, though the real problem was that there wasn't anything wrong with her.
"...This is so fucking weird...I mean-...no. No, this isn't right..."
"What isn't right, West?"
"...You are meant to be a wheelchair after a Colorado senator turned you into a Cyborg Ninja."

The look on her face said it all as Jenny stared slightly agape, clearly not expecting that answer.
"...David, what are you talking about?" she asked, much to the sniper's disdain as he started pacing back and forth slightly.
"Oh for the love of-Do you not fucking remember?!"
"I would like to think I would remember being in a wheelchair, David!"
"Okay, okay, okay, we'll settle this. Jenny, read my mind."
"David..."
"Oh, just fucking do it. I'm not having you think I'm off my head because I KNOW you weren't like this before-...whatever the hell just happened!"
Finally relenting and rolling her eyes slightly, Jenny then placed her palm against the Irishman's forehead, expecting to find a long night of boozing and god-awful sexua-

"His mind was like an immense sphere of perfect black stone. So large that she couldn't make out the ends in any direction and that they curved out into infinity. The surface was spotless, with no cracks and no blemishes. A perfectly protected mind, impossible to break, impossible to worm into. It was like looking at something alien. It was unknowable, frightening and dark. There was no way it could be human."
Breaking the link quickly, her expression turned to one of fear as she merely said "...That-...isn't what's meant to be in there..."
"...W-w-what's not meant to be in there?...Is it a tumor?! Oh please tell me it isn't a tumor" He densely remarked as he instinctively clung to his own head, trying to "Feel around" for such a thing.
"...N-no, David-"
"Oh my god, it's a tumor isn't it? Jenny, if there is a fucking tumor in my skull, you better fucking tell me!"
"It's not a tumor! That's not even how this works! I-I don't even know what It even is!"
David found that answer even less comforting as he started to recall that "Database" that had been blasted into his skull.
"....ohhhhhhhhh shit....okay....okay..." He began to pant as he started to walk towards the ship, leaving a rather puzzled Jenny in his wake.
"Jenny! You okay?!" Blade cried out as he rushed to his lover's side.
"...Huh? Yeah, fine. But...I think he's the one you should be worried about..."

"Alright...Alright...Okay...clam down...focus...an-....an-..." He started to mumble as he then realized something rather jarring...He had been here before...hadn't he?...
As he stumbled towards the ship, he was soon ambushed by a wave of bright violet lights as Dr. Violet's godforsaken rhinestone jacket soon began to blind his eyeballs.
"Hey, West...You alright?...Should I get you a drink?...uh, of water?" Violet asked much to David's confusion
"Yeah, I-...wait, Violet, don't you say something else?...Or-...did you say it-....wait...waitwaitwait..." He started to stammer as he tried to think-
"Maybe a aspirin or 3 as well?" "MAYBE A ASPIRIN OR 3 AS WELL! THAT WAS IT!...how did I know that?...unless-...but that'd mean-....whoa...oh my head-...I don't feel so good..."
A bit taken aback by David's exact timing as well as the fact he seemed to be growing increasingly pale, the doctor then asked again "...So was that a yes or-whoa-wait-WAIT-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

A horrible scream filled the air as David suddenly expelled the contents of his stomach all over Violet's prized jacket, retching slightly before finally fainting on the spot near the foot of the hanger bay.
"NOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOO! NOOOO! IT'S ALL IN-BETWEEN THE RHINESTONES! NOOOOOOOO!" DX

[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"...Tch, Everyone is a psychologist..." Rugal merely muttered as the cat began to dash away, leaving him just about as lost as he was before they met.
While it wasn't an entirely inaccurate statement, it was still something that hit a bit too close for home, part of the reason it annoyed him so much really.
And in a place like this? It would be rather easy to fall into old habits. No technology, feudalism in full effect, slavery, magic could reign him in...or make him unstoppable...now that was a really unsettling thought...yes...unsettling-
"Mister, What are you doing out here?"
The voice grabbed his attention over his thoughts as he turned to face the young woman.
"It is not like Mistress Livia to kick out a guest, even for rude behavior. What happened?"
"I was not removed, I left of my own accord. She explained that if I had such objections as to how she ran her estate that I should voice them off her property. So I did. I shall wait here for her departure to Pompeii. You need not trouble yourself over me. This is far from the first night I spent outdoors." He kindly remarked as he gently stoked the fire, namely by firing a small "Shakunetsu." [http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Shakunetsu_Hadoken] onto it from his palm.
"...You were there when I awoke...weren't you? I don't believe I caught your name the last time we met...Mine is Rugal Bernstein of Rising Dawn. Pleased to meet you. Feel free to sit if you wish."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
Food Wars Fanservice inbound!
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

'Meatsack..? Like, why? Was that really necessary? Like I'd hate to admit it, but Faea's right I'm on the slim side, meatsack isn't even that good of an insult...' Nina thought to herself, looking a bit disappointed in Crown's jab, partly for him even making it but also at it not being very effective. She wasn't entirely sure what his deal was, leaning over her as he did. Maybe she had something on her head, brushing her hand against her scalp subconsciously.

Nina would wave goodbye to Nocturne as he slithered off. "Good luck, thank you for dropping by Nocturne!" She called out to him. She looked back to Talavie as she squeeled. "So you've had it before? Good to see you're enjoying it~" She chimed in, unsure why Talavie. "Judging from what's in it, you're not wrong in being surprised Talavie. Several specific techniques were needed to get it this far, that much is clear."

And so came the lore dump which certainly grabbed Nina's interest. The idea of procreating with human women wasn't overly surprising, but the way in which their domains seemed to slowly branch out farther and farther was very interesting in deed. The thought of maybe some 'Keeper of the Grilled Cheese' came to her mind, sparking a smirk to her face, but she didn't mention it.

She was about to ask a question herself when Phillip spoke as the goblinoids entered the room for round two. "So that's what she was planning to do, huh? False sense of security indeed." Nina wouldn't be able to ask what he meant as the smell hit her, almost blowing back her hair as it wafted passed the patrons. The combination of the meat and the soup only caused her to double down on this as she had to wipe some drool from her lip. As much as she'd try to hold off to let Crown have his time to explain the dish, her patients would only hold out so long and about half way through she'd start digging in.

The flavour would not disappoint, easily making Nina stare blankly at the bowl, allowing the flavour wash over her. So tender, it practically melted in her mouth. With a strong swallow, she'd try to get another piece in her mouth before Phillip gave her a light slap to the forehead. "Savor it a bit, no one will be taking it." He scolded her for her gluttony. Having gained back some of her restraint, Nina'd take her time as she chewed the meat more deliberately, acting much like a child being scolded by her parents. "S-Sorry, it was just really good..." She lamented. Taking another bite, she'd look up to Crown, realizing he'd been chatting so much, he hadn't really gotten the opportunity to ask anything of them, Talavie seemed to have at least chatted with Phillip before she'd showed up after all. And it wasn't like she was leaving any time soon with how good this food was! With food still in her mouth she'd asked just that, only for Phillip to stop her again. "And again, you have better manners than this." He grumbled at her, flicking her temple again. "She wishes to ask if you have any question for us. Odd I understand as if you wished to ask, you would have done so already, but..." He trailed off, flicking his tentacle nonchalantly. "No matter. The ingredients on display are enlightening however, many similar to what I've used, yet the depth is leagues beyond them as well. I wish to converse with Ms Lockharte true, but not until after she's shown the breath of her work." Phillip relayed his intentions, being a lot more thorough in his evaluation of the meal set before him. "I suppose that would extend to you as well Talavie, if you wish." Phillip added, watching as the woman more than likely was acting quite similar to Nina, and wolfing down her food.

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"My name is Julia," she said meekly as she sat down. "Just Julia." The moon was starting to settle into the night sky, reaching high in it's path. The stars above twinkled in a clear sky like the glimmering of jewels. The Etruscan countryside was a land of hills covered with fine grass. There were few trees, and even fewer forests. The houses along the road were mostly stone. There were no rivers and creeks here. A ring of mountains swallowed the horizon like the jaws of a massive dog.

"It's not much, isn't it," Julia whispered, peering out into the countryside. "The soil here is difficult to farm, and the Romans have cut down all of our forests. What money here is made through the hands of artisans or by the force of our soldiers."

She wrapped her arms around her knees, "Mistress Livia has been kind and tolerant to us. I've seen countless governors offer to marry her and spirit her away to some richer province. But she stays here, and fights for us. I know like she seems a little harsh and egotistical, but she's still a kind girl at heart. She's just in a difficult situation right now."

A bell rang. Julia stood up, "Oh! That's for me." She gave Rugal a little bow, "Sorry, my break's over. I have to get back to work." She hopped over the fence and started back toward the village opposite from Livia's estate.

---​

By the time that Rugal woke up, Livia was looking down at him from on top of her horse. Instead of sitting properly, she had her legs cross, balancing precariously on the undulating muscles of her mount using her ankles. Two decorative feathered knives hung from her wrists. "Come on, Bernstein. It's a day and a half's journey from here to Mount Vesuvius. Let's make use of the light while we can."

Behind her was a small convoy. Four slaves, all dressed well, and carrying sacks on their backs and a decorated chest between them. Conspicuously there were no guards with these five women.
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

"We can chat after dinner," Talavie said cheerfully. She was eating with the same gusto as Nina, but still held a sense of refined manners. She cut her slice of kabande into neat blood-red cubes and tossed each into her mouth with her fork.

"Lockstar," Crown corrected smugly, "the chef's name is Miriam Lockstar." Then he put down his utensils and folded his arms across his chest. "And on the matter of that girl..." he shook his head, "She's quite strange. Lockstar is neither Eldritch, nor Human. She doesn't have a lineage to trace herself to, but she isn't mortal either. Her contempt for humans is severe as well... I have no idea what her identity could be."

A bell signaled the coming of the next course. It was an egg on a silver cup. A gentle mist danced on the surface of the shell.

Talavie cracked it open eagerly, not yet having finished eating her slice of that exotic meat. The insides burst forth with a gentle wave of aromatic fruits. It was a sherbet in a candy shell. The frozen treat was a mix of blue and pink, sparkling with crystals of ice and sugar.

Talavie took a quick taste and squealed. "That's something else!"

It was refreshing, rejuvenating, and light. It cleaned the palette as if by magic of the intense savor and salt of the dishes before. Talavie moved onto take another bite of meat and grinned again, "It's like I'm eating it for the first time again! It's so good!"

Crown frowned, looking at his candy egg. "I... don't know what this is."

"Eat it! It's good!" Talavie exclaimed, "heavens and hells, it makes me feel like a young girl again!"

Crown cracked it open and studied the lavender sparkles and pastel slush. He put his spoon in and dug a little bit out before licking it off the tip. Then he put his spoon down. "It's... good. But, it makes me feel like that I've forgotten something... important."

"Like all your worries are melting away isn't it? It's like I can enjoy something with the whole of my heart once again, like I'm doing something nice-"

"-for the first time." Crown finished. He looked down and took another spoonful into his mouth. "Well, it doesn't seem harmful."

Nina sort of remembered this scent. It was dancing at the tip of her memory. New, and familiar at the same time. A fragrance that was so much like that of a violet. Han anhkhem. The words danced at the forefront of her mind. But.. what did that mean?

Before she could mull on it for too long, another course was served. A series of crackers with caviar and crisped fish skins. Spiced so intensely that it made her eyes water.

"Now this... looks interesting."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
I swear this is what's going on right now [https://i.pinimg.com/736x/55/a7/2e/55a72e3802da3f681009b914309d8be9--cat-memes-funny-memes.jpg]
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

"Yes Ms Lockstar, my apologies." Phillip replied, glaring at the dumb human behind the screen. Still the new information wasn't wasted, especially when it was revealed Miriam wasn't Eldritch or Human. That alone was odd as Nina had thought up until now that she was merely the hyper elitest type that thought she was all that and more. But she wasn't even that? "Ya, I know first hand..." Nina let out a sigh, resting her head on an open hand, quickly putting another chunk of meat in her mouth to brighten her spirits.

Phillip would watch from beyond the doorway, seeing the goblinoids setting up the delivery cart full of the icy eggs. It's construction was deeper into the kitchen than Phillip's awareness would allow, so he only got to bare witness to it as it was rolled out into the dining car. Like the last time, it took Phillip a bit to realize the situation before him. Most would wonder why such a spice as Stardust would find its way into a world nearly entirely comprised of eldritch beings. Phillip however wondered if somehow this was akin to pufferfish back on Earth. Although toxic, in very minute doses, it could add to the flavour and overall allure of the dish. This hesitation was what stopped Phillip from simply snatching the goods from Talavie immediately as it hit the table. The eldritch here were another breed entirely, although the concentration by his estimate were above what either Talavie and Crown would handle he couldn't be sure if this wasn't planned in some way.

The spiced chips and skins didn't appear to contain any ingredient that could act as a sort of antidote to the purple nightmare and as such before Nina could remember what exactly the Han anhkhem was, Phillip would quite uncharacteristically state with a stern tone. "Don't eat another speck of that dessert Crown, you too Tavalie." If Crown didn't take heed of this and continue to try and eat the next spoonful, Phillip would reach out to grab his hand to stop him. "Holy shit!" Nina blurted out in a hushed voice. "That's Stardust! How-Why is it here?! Isn't that stuff dangerous?!" She shot to Phillip as he quickly scooped up his and their two host's desserts and put them back to the delivery cart with a gingerly care. "I don't know, I didn't see them prepare this. I would have asked before they'd brought it out otherwise..." He whispered, the low rumblings of frustration. Twice he had to deal with this nonsense, it would not stand. 'I guess Crown not knowing what that was should have raised a million red flags, the guy's practically a walking encyclopedia.' Nina thought as she watched the cart continue onto the next table, turning around in her seat, biting her lip. "Excuse me! Mr. Server sirs?" Hopefully drawing the attention of the attendants serving the palette cleansers.

"Look, not giving you guys a hard time, don't really know what you're hand in making these. But look here." She said, picking up her own dessert, opening it and showing the culprate. "All this purple stuff, that's a spice Phillip is deathly allergic to ingesting." She tapped at the bowl for added effect. "As you can see, it's put him in a rather foul mood, as you can imagine. So would you be able to explain this misunderstanding so we could maybe enjoy the rest of the meal?" Nina finished, using the years of Starbucks complainers coupled with as much tacked as she could muster to bring their concerns forward.

"We should just talk to Miriam Lockstar, she's the head chef, she'd know why this is here." Phillip retorted quietly, slipping from the booth table and crawling his way passed the spiced chip cart as it entered. "P-Phillip?!" Nina gasped, looking between the escaping noodle monster and the goblins and orcs. "Sorry, excuse me. Um... Just hold off serving any of that icecream stuff until we get back alright? Those chips and skins look a lot better, definitely not filled with eldritch Raid." Nina smiled and waved, and then tried to quickly catch back up with Phillip as he pushed his way through the doors to the kitchen.'So much for being subtle...'

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

The doors gave away into the next car - and then the train grew in length. Nina felt lost, pulled on all sides by a sudden wave of terror. Her sight flickered, eyes shining like stars in the darkness. The train-car fell away into a labyrinth - a stone maze that grew in each direction. The walls of the world were crumbling, they were old and worn. Thick cracks ran across the dome of the sky and the clouds were lacking in life. This was a grey silence more subtle than mere death. It was violently melancholy. Waves of crashing emotions brought Nina to her knees, swirling music, dancing lights, sweet smells, and ethereal fingers traced across every inch of her skin.

The world collapsed, swallowed by a darkness more unforgiving than the void of emptiness. She felt the cold grip her, as if it were alive. It grabbed her, tearing away at every piece of her body those invisible hands could reach. The darkness wanted her very life - the warmth of her being - the ephemeral flame she held deep within herself.

Two arms grabbed her from behind. Physical arms, warm arms, living arms. The desolation in this darkness was so great that the pulse of these arms thundered like drums in her ears. They pulled. They drew her out of the darkness - out of the stone maze - out of the haphazard corpse of a broken dollhouse.

"Do you have a death wish!?"

Nina tumbled backwards into the soft and warm embrace of a woman. She felt her weight against her back, the thrumming of her heart, the sweet scent of nectar that wafted from her long purple hair and the gentle and intimate touch of her fingers clasped around Nina's chest.

The woman stood up, letting Nina down to the floor gently. Nina was still dizzy, lost in a whirlwind of her own senses. Even though she didn't understand what it was she experienced, she knew that it was monumental. The woman was a short, lithe, but well endowed. She had brilliant red eyes and purple hair that grazed her bare ankles. She wore a large cloak over a small revealing dress cut high at the hip. From Nina's viewpoint on the ground she could see two guns strapped to the inside of her thighs, just in the way of seeing if she was wearing anything underneath that outrageous dress.

She knelt down. "Are you okay?" She touched Nina on her forehead. Her hands were warm, but that's all Nina could feel. The texture of her fingertips, the hardness of her nails, everything else seemed not to be there.

There was a flicker of recognition in the woman's eyes. "You're one of the people from the Rising Dawn!"

---​

Philip found himself inside of the kitchen, but surrounded by a series of black strings. They were different from Faea's silken web. These were not fibers, but some sort of stitching holding space together. Several drops of golden blood ran down across the threads. On the other side, inside a kitchen held together at the seams, was a red-headed girl. She was hanging from a web of those black threads, her fingers struggled to keep hold onto them as she hung suspended in the empty room.

The kitchen that he had saw before was a reflection. A song sung by the vibration of these threads. This was the kitchen, the last car in the train. It was empty. A sullen and grey place where the only thing of notice was this girl in a chef's uniform. Her eyes fluttered open. They were a breathtaking azure. A color so brilliant and so deep that it carried a physical reflection of an internal melancholy.

There was no door behind him. Only a series of black threads that made up the facsimile of a wall and door. The girl's fingers twitched and tugged against the threads.

The space collapsed and Philip found himself in a kitchen. It was large and full of shining steel. Pristine pots, pans, knives, and bowls. The soft hum of refrigerators drowned out the click of the wheels below. There were about two dozen people working in the kitchen. There were the flash of knives, the whipping of liquids, the sizzling of meat. It was everything Philip expected to have seen.

That girl, the redhead from before, was at the back of the car. She was working diligently and silently, eyes glazed over as if her mind was in some far off place. Her hands danced over the counter, cutting and shearing some strange orange root vegetable. It's thick red blood ran across the counter, pooling in small spiral eddies as they came to rest. There were six to seven massive pots around her all boiling away. There were some empty vials next to her, dusted with the sparkling lavender of Stardust.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"Hmmm...Well, don't let me keep you Julia. It was a pleasure speaking to you..." Rugal simply said, taking note of what she said about Mistress Livia.
While this was a different time and culture, he still approved of her slaves about as much as he did before.
Alas, it's not like he could really do much about it right now, short of "Cutting loose" and using some of his power to crack a few skulls but experience had taught that was rarely a good plan in the long term.
As such, he merely rested against the tree and waited for the break of dawn...

---

He stirred slightly when he was addressed before lazily opening his human eye and muttering "Ah...so we're off then? Good."
And without so much as another word, he began to follow the convoy towards Pompeii, glancing slightly at both their travelling companions and the heavy load they seemed to be carrying.
"Hm...What an ornate chest...Gift for a friend of yours in the city?" He asked as he attempted to get a better look at it, least as much as he could without bringing attention to himself.
"Also, should it be required, I have little problem with carrying some of the luggage. I spent a long time developing my strength and power, hate for people to think it was all for show..." He then suggested, knowing full well he could handle the burden far better then her slaves could.
"Consider it an apology for my actions last night. Although this is entirely at your distraction, Mistress Livia. I do not mean to impose, merely contribute."

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"If you would, then that would be helpful," Livia waved her hand and her servants handed the chest to Rugal. It was heavier than he expected. It wasn't clothes or anything. Perhaps it was gold and silver, the weight felt about right. "It is a gift for my grandparents. They live in Pompeii. The weather there is fair and warm which soothes the aches in their bones."

The day was fair, the breeze was gentle, and the summer sun cast warm light on the journey through passing clouds. from what Rugal could remember, the this world was very much like the world that he remembered. The trees, fields, buildings and people all seemed to be relatively normal. There definitely weren't heroes and villains running around everywhere.

They journeyed for some distance in peaceful silence. Livia sat on her horse swaying side to side, letting the breeze caress her hair. Every now and again she would smile and stifle a laugh, as if she were in some secret conversation with an invisible friend. The road the followed ran southward down the coast and the sea was never far off from their sight. After a while Livia spoke up, "We will make a stop in Ostia and stay the night there. That is where I endeavor to reach by nightfall. To reach that city we will have to cross a narrows in the mountains in some hours." It wasn't very clear who Livia was talking to, but she had decided to speak her thoughts out loud.

Several more hours passed and one of Livia's servants, whose name Rugal would learn was Euridice, fetches a series of pastries out of her bag for everyone. They were large pyramid shaped pieces of bread with a buttery outer layer and a rich filling of spinach, rabbit meat, and a generous layer of pheasant liver. Livia ate hers with a grimace, "Did we really run out of salt?"

"Yes mistress," another of her servants answered. she was a smaller girl with long blonde hair that she kept braided in two neat strands that she tucked into her tunica. Her skin was red from being in the sun, but she made no complaints even as her burden pressed angrily into her shoulders and back. Her name was Ortha. "We used the last of it in the feast last night."

"I will have to buy a new block once we reach Ostia then," Livia said as she disdainfully chewed on her lunch. "rabbit is insufferable without salt." She turned toward Rugal, "You should eat as much as you can. A man your size will suffer altitude sickness once we reach the mountains if you don't have enough richness in your body. While I don't doubt your strength as a warrior, I doubt all of those muscles will do very much against the boiling of your blood."

In time the sapphire of the Mediterranean left them and with it the rolling emerald hills of the countryside. It was soon replaced with dry mountains of wild grass. The road turned from cobblestone to dirt paved with clay. Livia's horse protested the uneven footing by slowing it's pace by some degrees.

It was the afternoon when they reached the narrows that Livia talked about. It was a winding road up into the mountains, covered from both side by massive sheer cliffs. A sign ahead warned of the dangers of crossing. There were also several benches and a large barrel in a rest area right before the ascent. Livia looked up at the path and yawned. From the looks of it there was barely room for them to cross in single file.

"You can come out. I know that you are there." Livia said loudly and without much interest.

The earth before the pass stirred and shifting shadows became human forms cloaked in dusty robes. They were large men, burly and ugly with a terrible smell about them. They held barbaric weapons, hammers, axes, and twisted cavalry swords. There were six or seven of them, and by the looks of their eyes and hair they were either Celts or Germans.

"Pay the toll," the largest and ugliest of them all said in stilted Latin. He grinned, his mouth was missing teeth, and whatever teeth he still had seem to be rotting in his mouth. He was a brute, nearly seven feet tall and all grotesque muscle. His weapon was a hammer the size of a man's chest. "Gold or women," he continued.

The other brutes laughed. Apparently their leader had said something humorous.

"I'm afraid I don't have anything to give," Livia shrugged.

The brutish leader pointed at Rugal and spoke in a fluent lowland German, "[You look like you're the big boss of this brigade. Give us either the girls or the gold and we'll let you go on without much trouble. I'd usually just clobber you over the head, but I'll make an exception today because I don't get to see another German around these parts very often.]" He wiped his nose with the sleeve of his padded armor, "[I'd prefer the girls though, all of these Roman whores are so boring. I miss the taste of good hardy womenfolk.]" He laughed.

There was a visible flinch in Livia's retainers. Livia held out her hand to quell their fears.

Livia's face contorted in mild revulsion. "Do they think that our esteemed guest is the leader of this party?" Livia dropped down from her horse and landed on her bare feet. Her jewelry rang like wind chimes when she moved.

"Little girl wants to fight? Or does she want to be fucked first?"

"Rugal Bernstein, there will be no negotiation. The large one will die by my hand. Protect the girls, or murder his lackeys. While I would not usually ask this of a guest, this is an insult beyond suffering." Livia drew her daggers from their holsters on her wrists. They clattered to the ground, and with her jewelry ringing like wind chimes, Livia rushed forward at the leader of the bandit group.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
A fairly apt example of what Nina went through, minus the alchemy power gains [https://youtu.be/sUXZFfZmerE?t=38s][footnote]While Phillip just feels like John Travolta [https://www.reddit.com/r/ConfusedTravolta/comments/3uok03/mrw_i_cant_find_the_light_switch/][/footnote]
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Nina was unresponsive as she was pulled back from the brink of whatever mad world she'd mistakenly stepped into, her body covered in a light sweat due to the unknown stress it had seemingly taken without knowing. It greedily absorbed the warmth of her savior, shivering as if it was trying to deal with the mixed signals it received from a shaken mind. Unseen within their confines, to say the scene was in disarray was an understatement, her body was left seemingly unscratched but her mind had taken that full brunt of damage. And yet, as her head leaned forward looking down at her chest and the arms still holding her up a single thought slowly stirred within her mind. 'When did I get purple highlights?' Like a jigsaw puzzle or more simply a jar of oil and water, everything started to settle back to its original place after its vigorous agitation.

Packets of information came at varying rates as she slowly awoke from her hardship; sights, smells, tastes and temperatures. All of them came back as unorganized shotgun spray of information without a time stamp of relevance involved, but each soon found their own place stitched within Nina's pea soup of a mind. A consequence of this was her realizing she was now on the ground, but without knowing why or how, at least not at the moment the woman asked if she was okay.

"Uuuuuh..." Nina groaned, trying to make sense of whatever bullshit she'd just experience while also trying to remember who this woman was. Something in the back of her mind said she'd seen this person before, but she definitely wasn't anyone Nina had seen on this train prior. Right around the time the endowed woman recognized Nina, so too would Nina's own road of rememberance finally be repaved. "Y-You're that lady, from the kitchen. With the... thousand somethings..?" Nina mumbled out, almost unaudible with how soft she spoke.

Nina coughed, taking in her surroundings a bit more as she tried to piece together what she was doing last. "What are you doing here? Why are we-" That purple! That colour! It was the same as that stuff, that dangerous stuff! "Stardust!" She exclaimed sluggishly, almost with a slur as she attempted and failed to reach up to the woman. "You were the one that had it last time! You, you gave it that other time. P-please, you gotta help!" She asked, sounding surprisingly more coherent like this conversation was acting like a focal point for her recovery to grasp. "It-It's in the food, people ate it, it's gonna hurt them! Can't you stop it?" Nina pleaded with her, attempting and succeeding to get her arm up to one of the woman's knees as she knelt down over Nina. "Please?" Now looking far more sober than she had not even a minute ago, even if the lack of strength in her grip betrayed her overall wellbeing.

[hr]

Phillip gave brief pause as that strange space appeared before him and so quickly disappeared. As a being of eldritch nature, peeking beyond the veil wasn't a surprise. This however felt different, something so intrusive and spontaneous, the comparison to what he presumed Nina felt on a daily basis. The fact there hadn't been many layers in this space to begin with also led him to feel this was significant in some way, but that was for another time.

Surveying the kitchen, Phillip would make note of the ingredients the chefs were using, the techniques they employed, and most of all Miriam in her entirety. He would sculk forward, slithering across the floor with purpose while affixing his oversized chef's hat to his 'head'. The other chefs there would need to be removed, they had no need to be there as Miriam was Phillip's target. Despite his diminutive size, the chefs within would feel this foreboding presence from him. Although he wasn't of this dimension, not of their color, it didn't stop the underlings there from recognizing the monster that had entered their temple of the culinary arts. "What are you cooking?" Phillip ordered sternly, not raising his voice but giving the impression no response but a clear answer would do. "And you?" He would demand of the next, making his way down the line of the two dozen or so chefs one by one until he was on the other side of them. "You are all to leave, now. I will ensure nothing is ruined, no dishes misplaced, or orders unfilled." He stated, already reaching for various instruments he would need for such a task, including a pair of sheers. "You need not go far, but I will speak with Ms Lockstar in private, and I will call you when we are finished." He ordered them, systematically taking over each of their stations until he was looking quite a bit like that traincar of webs before. "Also tell the human, Nina, outside with the yellow hair to come in here when she's ready. She'll be up in a minute or two."

With the shears, he would cut the webbing lines within the room of Faea's creation. Unlike Nina he wouldn't be making the same mistake as her and methodically clear the entire room until there was only one left. "In private..." He mumbled before snipping that one too. "Now Ms Lockstar, explain to me why you have that acursed spice. Why, in a place where all but two person would find such a spice lethal would you use Han anhkhem!? Are you ignorant to its effects on eldritch entities as a whole? Is there some unknown agent that would neutralize its effect coming in another dish, because I don't see it in this car? Or was I wrong to think of you as chef to learn from much like those other 'chefs' of the 1021st?!"

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Miriam just cast a expressionless gaze at Phillip. There was no life in her eyes. Her movements continued, smooth cuts and skillful tosses. She mixed vegetables and spices and set everything in pots without so much as answering. Her limbs moved as if controlled by strings, her body was a puppet work by a ghost.

Where Phillip did not mesh with the colors of Anazorzia, Miriam lacked any color at all. She was ill-defined, like a hastily constructed prop on a set.

The other chefs seemed to be of the same nature. As they left, leaving Phillip to work their stations, their existence simply vanished. They never reached the car on the outside of the kitchen.

Miriam picked up a fresh bottle of Han Anhkhem and uncorked it, dumping all but a little bit into the pot of stew. The glittering lavender exploded in a bright shower of glittering light that mimicked the stardust it was named after. There was an audible silence as Miriam finished preparations.

But then she turned and finally acknowledged Phillip. She had similar eyes to the entangled girl from before, but she lacked the bottomless intensity in hers. They were a flat blue, as if colored over in pastels. "Guests should remain in the civilian cars," she said meekly. "I'm sorry sir, but could I ask you to return to your seat?"

---​

"Whoa whoa whoa!" Mnemosyne cried as she hugged Nina tightly, shoving the blonde girl's face into her bust. "You have had way too much to drink haven't you? Come on, we need to find your master." She held Nina's struggling head hard against herself and leaned over to Nina's ear and whispered, "If you make a scene now, they're going eat us, okay? Calm down and follow me into the restroom."

Nina glanced around the car. They weren't in the car in the back anymore. This car was far more lavishly decorated than the one she was in previously. The floors were marble and the lighting fixtures where brilliant blue crystals. The patrons weren't of the same human-type that Nina had seen in the back cars. These monsters were truly monstrous. They were huge hulking beasts made out of living worms, ancient books with bramble limbs, shifting amalgamations of fluid flesh.

There was one that yawned and sired rolling eggs out of her toothed genitals. It ate lazily the meat using arms made from interlinking human hands.

"What is that you are holding, Mnemosyne?" a great spiny clam asked. It bristled with fleshy tentacle-like appendages topped with eyes. It's quivering voice physically hurt Nina's ears. She could see the color of it's words, a horrific and violent pink that dug angrily into her eyes.

"Oh, it's nothing. A breeding puppet of my sire, lost from having too much fun or wine." Mnemosyne laughed, lying as best as she could to the eldritch horror.

The clam stirred and spoke again, "A breeding puppet? Bring her here so I can try her out."

"No!" Mnemosyne replied, holding Nina even tighter, "She's still young! My sire would be most disappointed if she became worn from suffering your awesome prowess. We must decline."

"HA. HA. HA. Well put. HA. HA. HA." The monster laughed. Its exaltation sent waves of undulating pain shooting through Nina. It was like her body was being assaulted by color, she felt tainted, as if the idea of herself in her own mind was being devastated instead of her physical body. Nina was used to Phillip's eldritch nature, but these things were a completely different type of malevolent existence than Phillip was. In a strange sense Nina knew that they were different colors.

Mnemosyne picked Nina up and moved quickly dodging the meandering bodies of the other patrons in the ballroom car before rushing through the door that lead into the inter-car rest area. Mnemosyne threw Nina into the women's restroom and slammed the door behind them. and let out a sigh before collapsing. She pressed the palms of her hands into her eyes. "God, that could have been really bad."

"Okay, now calm down girl," she ran her fingers through her ankle length hair, smoothing out the neat strands, "Why in the world are you here, and what the hell do you mean that there's Stardust here? Stardust doesn't exist in Anazorzia. It's from Shuwa, there shouldn't be any here."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

The trek was rather modest, least by Rugal's standards, and he certainly had little issue carrying more than his fair share of the load.
Even without his transformations, he was still a man able to tear apart military tanks with his bare hands, he even borrowed a length of rope to create a crude backpack.
He kept to himself for the most part, silently watching and observing the world around him (as well as Livia's somewhat strange mannerisms).
The peace and quiet was actually a nice change of pace, though even then, he found himself longing for his loved ones so they might know this calm instead of the random daily insanity of the Rising Dawn.
Even watching Ortha and Euridice go about their business without the looming threat of some god awful demon god or a CEO with more love for profit then his/her fellow man/woman seemed a bit alien in comparison.
When he was offered a bit of lunch, he addressed the Mistress's concerns with a story (And some gentle bragging):

"Several years ago, back when I was a younger and brasher man, I traveled the world in search of those who could train me so that my power and legacy would transcend the limits of a mortal man. Many of those teachers prided themselves in superhuman feats of endurance. Daily treks up a mountain dragging boulders. Meditation sessions lasting days while deprived of food, water and in some cases many of my senses. And that's before we get to the countless advances in the art of warfare, all of which failed to even slow me down. So while I do thank you for your concern, I assure you: There is little this mountain can throw at me I cannot weather."

And so he kept his pace, there didn't even seem to be much sweat coming off him as he did so.
This was until they happened upon a (rather poorly planned and executed) ambush by some cocky, most likely literal bastards, prompting more annoyance then anything else from the formed King of Fighters.
"Oh, are we really doing this?...come now, can't they find faster ways to get themselves killed?..." He groaned to himself as he carefully laid his backpack on the ground and calmly walked to the front of the group, more out of obligation to protect his convoy more so then out of any desire to fight.
When he was addressed by the leader of this lowly raider party, he merely folded his arms before replying "[...Your German is terrible. Your forces are weak. Your tactics are those of children posing as men. And the only thing keeping you alive right now is that fact that I honestly do not care enough about your life to end it this day. Now, can you please just get out of the way? It would take longer to get your blood out of my outfit then it would for me to kill you all.]"

His threat didn't seem to defuse the situation much, nor did Livia's temper as she went to engage them.
"... *Sigh* Alright, seeing as we're apparently doing this-"
But before she could really close the gap much between her and the bandits, a blur of crimson filled her vision before she found herself running into Rugal from behind as he effortlessly blocked her path with his body.
"I'll take care of these ones. You can do the next one..." He spoke bluntly before issuing a simple challenge to attackers.
"[Alright then...Seeing how insistent you are, how about we make this sporting with a wager, hm? Carried among us is a chest containing gold and sliver, as well as some supplies and personal effects. They can be yours as well as the womenfolk and all you have to do this:]"

After he had explained the stakes, he took a moment to crack his neck before channeling his energy, causing a slight red aura to radiate from his body.
His fabled Slashing Aura was active, albeit in a weaker form that comprised his entire body rather than just his limbs.
Even a slap across the face now would possibly shred someone's hand clean off before it could even touch his flesh.
And yet, his stance didn't change as he stood there, arms crossed, feet firmly on the ground and making zero attempt to do any form of defensive maneuver.
And with a smug grin on his face, he said:

"[Get your strongest warrior. Give him your biggest weapon. And hit me as hard as you possibly can.]"​