The Escapist Avatar Adventure: An Open RP (Now Re-Opened!)

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"Livia plays tough and rough, but that's just for show. Out of all of us, she's the most delicate."

Livia shrieked and tumbled down onto the ground, her knives clattered to her side as a cloud of dirt and dust settled on her colorful tunica. "Mistress!" Ortha rushed to Livia's side and held onto her master's hand. Livia looked up at Rugal, blue eyes burning.

"I am fine, help me up." Livia commanded. Ortha did as she was bade.

The brute leader stared at Rugal, who was standing still like he was some sort of maniac. "[You are joking,]" he said after some thought, "[you must think me stupid.]" He motioned towards one of the other bandits, "[Bring the great spear and give it to Grendol. This strange man will learn a lesson about foolishness.]"

The brute named Grendol, who was a massive hulking beast of a man sauntered up, a twelve foot spear in hand. All things said, he was actually quite handsome. He was young with dirty blonde hair and fair skin, but had muscles and form to match Rugal's own. He held the spear in both hands and braced himself, keeping a good distance away from Rugal.

And then he charge, spear in hand.

A scream pierced through the tense silence. Livia's horse neighed as a bandit struggled to mount it.

"Ortha! Kleo!" Livia screamed. While Rugal was setting up his show of force, four bandits had tackled Livia to the ground. They sat on her small frame, holding her head down in the dirt. Two more held her arms down with as much force as they could muster. Another pair had grabbed the two handmaidens Ortha and Kleo from behind and held blades to their necks.

Grendol stopped his charge with a pivot the moment before impact and dashed backwards to the main group.

"[Honestly,]" the bandit leader said, "[Do you take me for a fool? No man gambles unless it is a sure thing. Only children and women take such poor chances.]" He pointed at Livia, struggling beneath the weight of four grown men. She was trying to scream, but the weight on her chest stopped her from drawing breath. All she could manage were short gasps for air as tears rolled down her cheeks into the dirt. "[Anyone would know from her appearance that she is the Viper of Etruria. A dangerous fighter to be sure, but quick to anger and easy to take by surprise. Without the use of her poison blades, she is nothing but another young girl.]"

The bandit leader took several steps back as he kept his eyes trained on Rugal, "[Now, unless you want these fine girls to find themselves in the afterlife, I would suggest you let us be on our way. I'll consider the toll collected and let you pass now. But don't take too long to think, since I hear that a person can only last two or three minutes without breathing before brain death starts to occur. And honestly, girls who aren't brain dead tend to be more exciting.]"

"Get off of Livia! She's going to die!" the cry came from the oldest girl, Eurydice. She was pushing against the man sitting on Livia's chest with all her might, but he wouldn't so much as budge. The bandit grabbed her by the throat and ran a short knife down her tunic before pressing the cold iron on her chest right above her heart.

"Silence." He said. "No like kill. No worry. Come with us. Good life."

The fourth handmaiden was holding onto the chest that Rugal had left behind like her life depended on it. She was afraid, but refused to let the heavy burden leave her hands.

"[If you kill one of us, we kill all of them. It'll be a shame too, since they're all so comely. Just turn around and leave, right? Easy.]"

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
One of those moments as a writer where you wish the big bad will just shrug and give up!
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Not to be outdone, Phillip would keep up with his promise even after the chefs vanished from existence with a noteworthy level of skill. The attention to detail and understanding of his ingredients at a fundamental level put him up with the higher echelons of the culinary world, but it was his multitasking that was clearly his strength. Keeping tabs on when things needed to be flipped, seared, roasted, sauteed and chopped for the 24 some stations in the train car was clearly something beyond what normal human could dream of doing.

Between the flips of unknown meats and cheeses and watching Miriam, Phillip scanned his presence out into the surrounding area. The vanishing chefs had left without telling Nina to come into the kitchen and Phillip found it odd he couldn't spot her. He could see the outskirts of the dining car from here and knew that Nina was right behind him before the vision took him, but now she seemed to be elsewhere? She couldn't have gotten far, she knew where he was.

He had other matters to attend to in the meanwhile regardless. As much as it pained Phillip to admit, Miriam's actions were similar to what he'd seen in some of the garbage Nina would sometimes watch on her computer. Mushy heartfelt pleads for a loved one to come back to their senses after being controlled by some foreign entity. Drivel the lot of it was, but he couldn't overlook how this appeared especially after the vision of a more awakened Miriam being bond by strings beyond their view.

Thusly, when Miriam asked for Phillip to return to his seat he replied in turn. "Yes, you could ask me, and you have. But, I can't while your team has vanished nor while you still wish to serve that." Phillip said, raising a tendril from his mass to point towards the pot Miriam had finished. He would then let out this long drawn out groan. "Also, you are not Miriam Lockstar. I have seen her talk with Nina, I know her voice. This is not her." He stated with such a lack of enthusiasm it was almost palpable. Sure deep down he wanted Miriam to be able to show some of her recipes and techniques, but this was quickly becoming a situation Phillip would love Nina to take over. "So would you do all the guests a favour, put the pots away, release Miriam if you could and get out of the kitchen?" He requested, almost sounding tired as he said it.

[hr]

"Mmph!" Nina's muffled cry was barely heard underneath the smothering of Mnemosyne's chest. She'd attempt to resist initially until she heard the whisper, not getting much headway as she was still weak after the experience she'd just lived through. She did however turn her gaze at the room she had only put to memory now. Where were Crown or Talavie, or even Nocturne or Faea for that matter, even the room was different than where she'd been moments ago.

This was beyond what she was used to for her little episodes, normally they'd play out much the same as standing up a bit too fast and seeing the black spots dot your vision. Black spots to which even Junji Ito himself would find alarming, but she couldn't remember the last time she'd been displaced this far away. Hallways may expand and contort, creatures appear, ooze and amalgomate, and in all fairness, the denizens of this car were not unlike the one creature that had appeared behind Ryan the day prior. It was that they were real and that she had been moved that really caught her attention, and caused her wince as the clams words seemed to literally finger flick her in the face with every syllable.

Oddly enough, while the diffences in colour underlined Phillip's own docile nature, his influence still allowed her to bare the brunt of the damage the clam caused her. Her mind bending and fracturing only to pull itself back together like a splashed puddle in a deep ditch on an unconscious level. It was her experience alone with the little chef that allowed her to keep her sanity in this abyss even against such titans.

The little beads of crystaline silk affixed to Nina's hair clattered against the floor while Mnemosyne carried her to the bathroom. Still not fully there, Nina would be unable to keep herself from awkwardly falling to the floor as she was thrown inside, making a couple footfalls before skidding to a halt. "Ow-Owww..." She groaned, laying there a moment before attempting to get up to at least her hands and knees. She'd manage to do so as her purple haired double locked the door, keeping one hand planted to the floor while another cupped her pounding head.

"Why in the world are you here, and what the hell do you mean that there's Stardust here? Stardust doesn't exist in Anazorzia. It's from Shuwa, there shouldn't be any here." Nina would take a moment to collect herself, if nothing more hoping that maybe delaying her answer might allow her a moment for her head to stop spinning. "Kinda wish I knew why myself. Just kinda showed up here? Um... I was getting ready for the party and then, I woke up here? It's kinda like there's a chunk missing that's just not there." Nina said, not looking up from the shroud of yellow hair the practically blanketed her. "Phillip also doesn't know why we're here, even if the people here thinks he's my master." She then looked up, brushing away the braids of hair from her face. "But frankly that doesn't matter, and neither does that Shuwa. It is here, Phillip confirmed that shit is in the food. He went to the kitchen to figure out what's going on and I followed after him and then... the whole... everything went all screwy and now I'm here with you?" She said, looking around the room a little more coherently. "Where even am I right now? This doesn't look like either the dining car or the kitchen, I couldn't have gotten that turned around?"

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Miriam suddenly burst out crying. Tears flowed down her face like a waterfall. "What do you mean I'm not the real Miriam!?" She grabbed onto Phillip and held onto the two tentacles closest to her. "I am Miriam you big meanie! Feel me, touch me, and know me." She pressed his tentacles onto her cheeks. She sniffled, cheeks red and eyes brimming with tears.

"I try really hard to be professional okay? It's not okay just to dismiss me like that! I cook a lot! I do a lot! No one ever recognizes the work I do! It's totally not fair, not fair, not fair!" She collapsed to her knees and broke out into another series of uncontrollable wails.

The pots bubbled as one of Philip's tentacles dropped in a cup of golden Mercy. The Stardust and Mercy drifted down and settled in the bottom of the pot. The color turned from the brilliant lavender to a calmer powder blue.

Philip bristled. This spice he knew. Or'i Gashi, Dreamsugar. No one in literature knew where it was from or how it was made. This was less of a spice and more of a Philosopher's Stone. A material that manifested the dreams of those who ingest it. Was this what Miriam was making? What was the golden liquid that was in the cup in the first place? But to have Dreamsugar in this much quantity... even a dusting was hard to come by. To have this much, nearly a kilogram of it.

"I'm always the one who does all the heavy lifting, the jobs that no one else wants to do and now I'm being talked down to by a customer!" Miriam sobbed, rubbing the tears from her eyes with her hands. A trail of golden blood ebbed from her wrist where she had cut herself open with a chef's knife earlier. Her shoulders shuddered. "You have to believe me! I'm the real Miriam!"

---​

Mnemosyne sighed, exasperated, "This is the ballroom car. The first car in this train, you're a ways away from the demigod car in the back near the kitchen." She shook her head, "This place is full of progenitors. It's not good. I'm only here because my father is old-man Knowledge and he had me looking after my younger sisters." A image flashed into Nina's mind of a living book that traveled around on legs of thin sinuous branches. She knew instinctively that this thing was Mnemosyne's father.

"Usually I'm the only person on a plane that has access to Stardust. To think that it would show up here, in Anazorzia, without my knowledge," she clicked her tongue in annoyance, "It pisses me off!" The images in Nina's mind fluttered to a lush jungle. A blood moon hung overhead as great feathered dinosaurs slept in heaps that resembled mountains. Around them a species ofbeautiful gleaming purple flower was blooming in the red light. They let loose a mist of drifting powder, twinkling like the stars above. Women danced in the field wearing white robes, catching the falling dust in great woven blankets. Mnemosyne was sitting high on a tree, the wind here was warm and humid. It was pleasant at night. The trilling of nightbirds and the chirping of insects were calming. The jewelry that the native women wore jingled like wind chimes. This world was called Shuwa. A blonde woman climbed up next to Mnemosyne. Her name was Syl, she cracked a smile and they talked about the gentle peacefulness of this world, and how it was nice to be so far from the difficulties of modern life. Mnemosyne agreed.

Nina had to shake her head. Her visions were getting so much more vivid now. It felt like she was elsewhere.

Mnemosyne looked at the elder god outside dancing in the void. It's streaming light caressed the train as it ran through the cosmos. Nina saw an ancient world, a darkness so deep that nothing seemed to exist. There was a young girl with red hair and eyes so blue that they seemed to be as deep as an ocean. She held her knees up to her chest and cast a sad look at the man who stood beside her.

I can make this place into anything I want? She asked the man in black.

Anything, he answered. He put his hand on her back and gently kissed her forehead. His mannerisms were like a father's, but slightly off. Almost like it was forced.

Then can there be light? The little girl asked, holding her hands together.

A light blossomed into existence. Long ribbons of physical light reached out around the cosmos and illuminated the darkness with stars and galaxies. A small orb-like creature sat in the cup of her hands. It chirped at her. It's so pretty! the girl exclaimed.

You made this, the man said and he reached down to touch the small creature, you gave it a purpose. You should also name it before you set it free.

Its name is Hope! the girl said excitedly as she stood up. Show me what else I can make!

The man in black smiled as he picked up Hope and set it free to drift in the cosmos. I cannot create, that is your job and your journey. Go on, little Miriam, and show me what kind of world you will make.
"Oi!" Mnemosyne said at Nina, snapping her fingers in front of the girl's face. "Anazorzia to hero, where did your mind wander off to?"

The god outside drifted away from the train. The ribbons of it's light lost their intensity as it dipped back into the aether from where it had surfaced. It seemed content, as if it's purpose here had been fulfilled.

"If you're feeling sick, just stay here while I go stop that Stardust from circulating. It'll be really bad if it gets to the children's car!"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

"..."

Well...that wiped the smile from his face now didn't it?
"[...It's nice to know that you do have some brains in that head of yours. Really, I mean that. I only regret that you can't see the type of mistake you are making right now...]" He calmly said as he took stock of the situation.
It was far from ideal and he could already imagine how upset Livia would be when this was all over, if anything that would be more unpleasant then what was about to happen to these poor fools.
Taking a moment to remove his jacket and dress shirt, he dropped them both on the clay road, took a deep breath and said:
"[...I gave you all a chance...I really did...]"

First priority was securing the hostages, so he began with Livia. (Wouldn't do to keep her waiting, would it?)
With several quick motions from his hands and feet, he sent a series of 4 "Sonic Boom" projectiles [https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/5/57/Th_charlieownzoring.gif/revision/latest?cb=20100715021804] towards the ones holding her down, hitting hard enough to dislodge and stun them long enough for him to get to the servants.
Turning to Ortha, Kleo and their respective attackers, he leap up into the air before his heel down upon the skull [https://www.fightersgeneration.com/nz3/character/terry/special/terry-cvs2-crackshoot.gif] of the one holding Ortha.
Upon landing, he then stuck the raider holding Kleo square in the face with a "Burn Knuckle!" [http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nz3/character/terry/special/terry-cvs2-burnknuckle.gif], ramming his Ki infused fist with full force regardless of if his skull could take it not.
This left Eurydice, who was too far away for him to properly close the gap but he had means around that.
Quickly turned back around to her before firing a "Ryuugeki Ken!" [http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters3/robert-2k3-fireball.gif] from his leg, the blast of Ki energy nailing her assailant right in the face.

Once he was done there, he turned back to the ones attacking Livia, wanting to finish them off before they became a problem again. (Least if Livia hadn't beaten him to it.)
Infusing his Slashing Aura into his legs, he lashed out at those 4 with a series of "GENOCIDE CUTTER!" [http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx9/char/cvs2/rugal/a/special/rugal-cvs2-kicksuper3.gif] strikes, tearing them to ribbons where they stood.

And before the blood could even finish settling, he turned to their would be robbers again before plainly asking ["Now then...You want to let us pass or would you rather I kill you all for wasting my time?"]
After that little boast, he took a moment to apologize to his host for his risky action.
"[sub]Apologies, that ruse usually works, least in my time...Least you might get your killing blow now, Mistress...[/sub]"

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]
[[Bad End Flag]][footnote]A flag occurs when a Labyrinth is close to ending. The next decisions will be critical![/footnote]​

"[Fucking idiot!]" The flashes of steel were as fast as Rugal's own attacks.

"Eurydice!" Livia gasped as the man pressing her down suddenly found himself evacuated from the location. Livia scrambled forward and caught the falling body of her retainer before she hit the ground. She threw her body around the larger girl and took the impact of both their falls on her knees.

Grendol held his spear out at Rugal and fell in front of the brute leader. His eyes were steeled toward Rugal. "[We never wanted it to come to death. To kill is a crime against the Gods themselves.]"

"[Damn right! Cut and run dammit! Grab whoever's still capable of breathing and let's go before Dis arrives!]" The leader's calls were frantic and fearful - but in a way that wasn't quite referring to Rugal. He tossed the unconscious bodies of two of his lackeys on his warhammer hand hoisted them onto his shoulders before taking off at a full sprint.

The other bandits scattered in similar fashion, grabbing who they could and what they could. Grendol retreated with his eyes on Rugal, "[You are not from here. I can see this now,]" he said plainly, "[You may have German blood in your veins, but you are as foreign to our ways as a lion is to that of a dog. Stain yourself with the black blood of your crimes, but not us.]" Then he turned and joined his compatriots in hasty retreat.

This left Rugal with Livia and her entourage.

"Does a leader in your time act with such reckless abandon and disregard? Do you torch your own cities to achieve victory? Do you water fields with the blood of your friends?" Livia's voice carried the weight of a sovereign. She was consumed in equal parts by anger and anguish born of both hate and love. She held Eurydice's head gently against her thighs as she held her hand over a sickly on Eurydice's chest. Pink bubbles frothed from between Livia's pale fingers.

Eurydice looked up with a blankness on her face. Her eyes were glazed over and her breaths were so faint as to be non-existent. With each labored heave of her chest, the wound make sick sucking noises as air whistled in and out through the gaps in Livia's grip.

Kleo and Ortha knelt down next to Livia, unsure of what to do. Ortha put her hands over her mouth to hide her shock, "She's drowning in her own blood..."

Eurydice coughed.

"Be still, calm your heart so the bleeding is not so free."

She put her hand on Livia's hand and shook her head slightly. A word danced on her mouth, a soundless name floating on pink iron foam. Dis.

Dis was a handsome man robed in black. His body sparkled with the shining of distant stars. He held in his hands some fruits. Apples and pomegranates. The ground beneath him shimmered with glittering gemstones. It was unsure when he arrived, but he was here and his presence was absolute.

The spirits of the men Rugal murdered flickered in the light of the setting sun as they took their places next to him. Dis was not a cold nor cruel man. His presence was not malevolent or frightening. His presence was reassuring, a sleepy contentment that eased the pain of those suffering.

Livia's eyes widened, "It should have been Mercury..."

Eurydice smiled. "No," her voice was almost inaudible, "Dis deus meus est. Deus Galiarum totarum."

"Don't speak." Livia commanded. "You're not dead yet. It's just a puncture wound! You'll recover, I'll make you recover!"

"It has been... wonderful, Livia. Really."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
"You of all people should know better than to think I'm just gonna take that."
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Phillip stiffened as Miriam began to wail with sorrow, completely caught offguard by this reaction to his words. Social interaction and interspection was an extremely new concept for the noodle monster, this last day and change was nearly all of it he'd personally done. Nina would have her moments sure, but this was way outside what she'd normally do.

Even when it came to the Dreamsugar, he wouldn't know the name or its history unless it was bestowed upon him by some outside force, but he would understand on a fundamental level its properties and what it could be used for in cooking. Needless to say, what it could do compared to Stardust was night and day. It was what he'd been hoping to find in the chips or icecream dish before he'd stormed the kitchen. Why hadn't Miriam just come out and say this was her plan?

"Then tell me why you didn't have that golden fluid in the dish or the one immediately after to counteract the Stardust you put into the sherbet ice egg? Why have you made such a mess of that countertop?" He said pointing to the counter she'd let the blood from the vegetable cut prior swirl and come to rest on. "and not at least bothered to clean it? I might not be the chef here, but you chose not to answer me earlier for something so damning. So please explain yourself, what is this dust, these open wounds? I am listening chef." He stated, concisely laying out his complaints and wishing for her to talk.

[hr]

"How did I get that far away? I was following right after Phillip?" Nina muttered to herself, wondering how the hell she'd gotten so lost. It had been a straight line, how did she manage to literally turn around and go all the way to the other side of the train, she couldn't have been much further from her destination without getting out of the train itself at this point. As Mnemosyne continued her explanation, a vision flashed in Nina's mind, a weird bookish fellow that skipped leg day that without any explanation was labeled as Mnemonyse's father.

Then again, another vision this one more intense as it wasn't merely just a picture, but an entire scene playing out in her mind like a memory. Nina winsed as her vision became clouded, she may have wondered why Mnemonyse's memory wasn't in her own perspective, but she wouldn't have time to ask as the visions became even more aggressive. She felt herself fall forward, towards and through the floor into the darkness of the environment outside the train and into a new vision. This one felt even more invasive than the previous two. Where as the others had appeared much like a spontaneous memory in her mind, this one felt almost as real as... that maze of stone!

"Oi!" Mnemosyne voice brought Nina back to the train, apparently the feeling of her falling to and through the floor was all in her mind? The snapping fingers in front of her face caught her off guard. "Anazorzia to hero, where did your mind wander off to?" "Hmm? Holy shit!" Nina jumped, clearly out of it as Mnemonyse suspected.

Realizing she wasn't in any immediate danger, Nina blew a sigh of relief, a bit too preoccupied with all that'd happened to notice the goddess leave the realm. She almost felt a bit nuisance, the wave after wave after wave of stimulus in such a short time pecking away at the resistance she unknowingly had, like a death by a thousand paper cuts. Her mind felt unfocused once more until it was finally given a point to charge headlong towards.

"If you're feeling sick, just stay here while I go stop that Stardust from circulating. It'll be really bad if it gets to the children's car!" Those words prickled Nina like a cactus. As Mnemonyse was likely making her way to the door, Nina grabbed the sink to help get herself to her wobbly feet. "You hold the fuck on." she scowled. "If you don't want me to come with you then just say it. Don't just put me under all that mental strain and just chalk it up to me being unwell. I don't need you to show me your dad looks like a book or feather dinoland or whatever that was about Miriam while we need to stop that Stardust and I have a pretty bad headache. Like I get it, I'm just some plain old human that has no powers, no training, no heroness; I'm practically a plaything to anyone on this train. But I expected more from you at least, you've seen where I come from unlike everyone else. I'm not some dumb sex crazed animal, I have feelings, ideas, and goals, not a limp of meat or a bloodbag with legs either. So if you're too proud to work with me, fine! We can work separately together so that we can fix this mess! Now how do we stop it?" Nina proclaimed, taking her hand away from the sink to point at Mnemonyse and managing to stand firmly despite how shaky she'd been moments ago.

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Miriam wiped the tears from her face with the base of her palms. Streams of golden blood trickled down her forearm and dripped onto the floor in bright chimes that echoed through the lonely kitchen. "I don't know what you're talking about," she said as more tears streamed out of her large blue eyes. Her shoulders and chest heaved with the exertions of her sobs. "I've haven't even served the pallet cleanser much less anything with Stardust in it... I was preparing to make bleeding dream cake with the volshya[footnote]the red carrot-like vegetable. It's sweet with subtle citrus bite and grinds well into powder. The juice is often used to make sweet fondues.[/footnote] and the Gashi, which is why I'm letting the volshya bleed out!"

Philip took a quick second survey around the kitchen. Indeed, there were no left over materials for making that Stardust infused dish.

She collapsed to her knees as more of her blood streamed out of the cut on her wrist. "My blood neutralizes the poisonous properties of the spice. So I'm the only one that can prepare it. I was collecting my blood to mix with the Stardust. That's why I have this wound."

[hr]

"What in the world are you talking about!?" Mnemosyne screamed back, "I don't know where you're getting this idea that I'm showing you memories or some shit, but I'm not! Like I fucking care if you're human or not. I'm half-human! I don't give a damn! We have to stop the kids from eating any of the Stardust first, the rest we can worry about later!"

Mnemosyne opened the door and rushed out, long purple hair streaming behind her like an acrobat's ribbons.

The room was dark. Mnemosyne leaned back into her bed frame and felt the cool wood on her neck. Two hands ran through her long hair and soft lips grazed her forehead. There was an older girl here as well. She was beautiful beyond beautiful but at least twice her age. White hair and shimmering green eyes, smooth brown skin and long elegant limbs.

Mnemosyne pressed her hands against the older girl. She didn't know who it was, but her presence seemed familiar. Her hands sank into her flesh. She was surprisingly soft, like she had no muscles underneath her skin. She squeezed, delighted at the feeling of flesh between her small fingers.

You're so beautiful. Just like your father said you'd be.

She nuzzled Mnemosyne affectionately again, pulling her into a gentle embrace.

Oh, if only I could have been there for you and your sister. I wish this wouldn't have happened. Your father can be so cruel.

Mnemosyne opened her mouth to speak, but no words would come out. Her throat was as dry as cotton. Instead she made a soft whining sound and gently nibbled on the older girl's bare shoulder. She purred.

Come away with me, my sweet darling. You don't have to stay here. You're not like the others. Do you want to come with me to another world? Somewhere beautiful and gentle, where the people of the world don't see us as cattle to raise?

Mnemosyne didn't know what she meant, but she wanted to be with this woman longer. Forever. There was something calming about her smell, her heartbeat, and the warmth of her touch.

Mnemosyne left behind her bed, her family, her world. The ease of familiarity ebbed away like blood draining from a wound. She found herself adrift in space, a place between worlds. A thousand glimmering stars shone in the night sky before her, a realm of infinite possibility. The woman that held her eased Mnemosyne into this exotic new realm, holding her small head against her bosom. Her heartbeat drowned out the din of eternity and put the little girl at ease.

Then they found themselves in a field of flowers on a warm world an infinite distance away from her bed on Anazorzia. The moons above them were so bright that Mnemosyne ducked her head into the older girl's body to shield herself from it's silver-red rays. All around them petaled flowered bloomed, casting dust into the sky, drifting high above all things.

The aroma was intoxicating, beautiful, intense. Each breath felt like she was being reborn anew.

Distant chimes of bells rang through the flower field. Far away in the flower field were dancers in sheer white ribbons, dancing under the gaze of twin moons.

Mnemosyne, the older girl said, if you ever feel scared or overwhelmed. If your father wishes you harm, or anyone else would make your heart ache with fear, remember me and remember this place. If you reach out, it will receive you. If you are here, then nothing can hurt you, be it man or horror.

Mnemosyne held tightly onto the woman and wordlessly nodded. This place felt safe. This smell was nostalgic.

These flowers are called Ankhem Hessai[footnote]Eternal Stargazers[/footnote], she said. Even though you can't remember who I am, just remember these flowers, Mnemosyne. For as long as I live in your memories I will never fade, my sweet daughter.

Mnemosyne whined again, clutching tightly to the woman's robes. And then she was in her bed on Anazorzia, tucked tightly into a gentle sleep. A blooming purple flower clutched tightly in her hands.
When Nina burst out of the bathroom to follow Mnemosyne, she was already bounding pass the next car over, ducking and weaving through uncaring patrons of all sorts of descriptions. She stopped and turned around waving frantically at Nina to hurry up. Nina could see that the children's car was three cars down from this one, and the serving car was already there.

There was no way Nina or Mnemosyne could get there in time unless they could get teleported down the length of the train.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Nina was entirely stunned, what did Mnemonyse mean she wasn't behind all those memories? She felt a lump form in her chest. Had she really just accused this woman of fucking with her like that when she was innocent? The half human bit really caught her off guard, somewhere in the back of her head she'd figured even if Eldritch did it with humans, they would still turn out nearly full eldritch and not a 50:50 split.

As her purple haired look alike ran out of the bathroom, Nina would follow after her, or at least she would have tried to. Once again another vision took her out for an unknown about of time. This time it was, Mnemonyse's childhood, her mother and how she gained her ability to jump dimensions. It was kinda sweet if not for it pulling Nina away from what she was needing to do right now!

Case in point, as she stepped out from the bathroom she'd see that Mnemosyne had already cleared a busy traincar of patrons already in the time it'd taken to clear the bathroom door. Nina held her head for a moment, these constant intrusive interruptions made it difficult to keep her focus. She couldn't understand why but she could see the children car and... she couldn't make it, they wouldn't make it! Her mouth felt dry, what was her name again? 'Fuck Fuck Fuck!!'

"Mnemonyse! Jump, teleport or whatever you do! They're already at the kids! We can't make it there running! GO! I'll get there as soon as I can! They can't eat that Sherbet!" Nina cried out, whatever little nugget of motherly instinct nestled deep within her coming to a head as she realized it was do or die now. Either they get there this second or the kids would die! In the back of her mind she hoped maybe Nocturne or Faea might hear them and come help too, but she couldn't depend on them alone either (even if Faea would have heard them this whole time). She just hoped the eldritch here were a bit more sociable than the ones in the previous car, they seemed to be given how Nina was ready to inform anyone that confronted her on this, but it was clear the goblinoids that had been manning the cart hadn't taken heed of her before or were there multiple carts? She couldn't really know just yet, but she'd start heading towards the children's cart regardless praying to see something that could help her. 'Please be okay Phillip!'

[hr]

"Here, you're liable to drip that into some of the food if you keep those open." Phillip said in his own way as he reached into one of the cabinets and pulled out several clothes. One was offered for Miriam to dab her tears with, while Phillip took her free hand and bandaged it. If she was paying attention, she would notice he was wrapping her wrists in a similar technique to wrapping a cheese wheel. As an eldritch being himself, this was probably the closest Phillip could get to caring for another, or at the very least at his age.

As he worked on her, he continued to keep up with the dishes he'd promised to keep tabs on, unsure if the 'chefs' that had left would even come back. "Regardless of whom made the pallet cleanser, you are the chef here knowledgeable of the ingredients available on Anazoria. Raw Stardust has been fed to patrons here, which will kiil them if something isn't done. Attempting to make this blue powder you have within them is, possible but not for all of them." Phillip stated, finishing off the wrapping with a stiff tie to the back of Miriam's wrist. "You're kitchen has this extremely dangerous spice in a place where every single patron is deathly allergic to it and Earth panics over a simple Arachis hypogaea. Where is the antidote Miriam, we don't have time." He stated sternly, not angry with her, but his tone certainly held with it the implication he wanted a simple answer. 'We don't have one', 'It doesn't exist', 'I don't know' anything instead of this beating around the bush nonsense. Nina's absense was really starting to get on Phillip's nerves, how could she get so lost?

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

Miriam looked up at Philip. Her eyes welled over with tears. "There is no cure for Stardust poisoning," she said meekly, "once begun, the process of ending cannot be undone." She put her hands on her thighs, her eyes downcast. Her cheeks glistened with the stains of newly passed tears. "The reagent does not poison the body in the same way that you understand. It is the idea of the individual that begins to die, their memory in others first, and then of themselves. Eventually no memory of the person from before will remain. In this way, to incorporeal creatures without a physical body to backup their identity, it is a death sentence."

"I know that it is dangerous to people of my colors - the colors of wonder - but I know I myself would be safe in handling it. I took little caution, for none are supposed to be here, in the kitchen, except those willing to lay down their lives for the sake of this last supper."

She looked up at Philip, her eyes gleamed. It was like she was suddenly a different person altogether. They were beautiful, infinite orbs of the most brilliant azure. There was a latent power in her that Philip could not deny. "It is too late then, I would bid you leave the rest of the cooking to me and the other staff." She inhaled sharply and blinked the moisture from her eyes, "I will make this a masterpiece. A meal worthy of dying for."

[hr]

"If I jump now, there's now way I can get back! Do you know how fast this train is actually moving!?" Mnemosyne called out as she slammed the door to the next care. Two arms shot out of the doorway like vipers. On grabbed onto Mnemosyne by the cuff of her coat, and another latched onto Nina at the neckline of her dress.

Then the two arms snapped taught and pulled.

Suddenly they were moving through space as if water. Physicality melted around the two women, matter washed across their skin and light rippled through their bodies.

And as suddenly as it began, it ended. They were standing in a new dining car. Instead of the patrons before, these eldritch creatures were all... smaller. They were teens mostly. Humanoid more than not, but all sporting some sort of strangeness that gave away their otherworldly heritage.

Two explosions echoed through the car. The cart carrying the purple eggs fell over, two twisted black wounds had been punched into it's side by Mnemosyne's hand cannons. She cleared her throat and pointed her guns at the ogres and goblins serving the dish. "Cease and desist!"

"I was wondering where you went," Crown said. He straightened up and adjusted the cuffs of his suit. "It was strange that you just vanished like that."

"It helps to have ears in all the right places," Faea mused as she licked her fingers, leaving gleaming droplets of wetness on the silk strands still on her fingers. "Now, what is this racket about? I was very much looking forward to finally having something sweet."

The windows blackened as a living shadow swept over each surface of the car. Grim red eyes opened up, gazing in all directions at once. The darkness sang madly with the clanging of chimes.

"Good grief father," said a blind girl sitting in the booth next to where Nina was standing. She looked to be thirteen or fourteen. She had long purple hair and fair skin, a thick bandage lay over her eyes. Her dress was made out of ribbons, each inky black and indistinguishable from one another. They sat on her skin so tightly and so closely that it seemed to melt right into her body. She swung her legs over the side and stood up, the ribbons that made up her dress unraveled and reached out to the floor below to secure her footing. "You are so loud."

The girl turned to Mnemosyne. "Excuse me miss, my name is Cuelle. This living shadow is my father Nocturne. He wants to know why you just shot the serving car, and why you have causality weapons on this civilian train."

Mnemosyne balked and put her guns down by her feet and raised her hands over her head, "My name is Mnemosyne I mean no harm. These guns are the property of my organization. We work to preserve peace across multiple worlds. I was here visiting my father when I was made aware of poison in the food card I shot."

Crown whistled, "She's a big shot!"

Nocturne chimed again.

"He says, 'I am Nocturne, the first of my lineage. My domain is that of the dark. My given name is Nightmare.'" Cuelle translated.

Mnemosyne bowed, "Primal Nightmare I am honored to be of your presence. I am Mnemosyne, fourth of my lineage of which I draw from Primal Knowledge. My domain is that of lost memories. My given name is Violet Amnesia."

The darkness began to recede, letting in light from outside once more. Two warm chimes echoed throughout the room.
"'Violet Amnesia, I have seen your color and determined it to be truth. I am honored to be of your presence,' he says."

Faea looked endlessly amused, "Nina, don't tell me that Violet Amnesia is a friend of yours! I didn't know you had connections to people in such high places!"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Bluerocker said:
She helped with this!
Origin Plains: Rising Dawn Landing Zone: The Criminals Formally known as the Bernstein Cartel

While everyone else was trying to make sense of the strange turn of events, some of them were taking it a bit better then others.
It had been a long time since Doom had felt grass.
I know that's a weird thing to say but between working in an underground weapons factory, hiding from the world at a Twitch Livestreamer's house, becoming someone's unwilling Jesse Pinkman and spending the rest of his time locked up on an airship, it felt so off when he sat up from his cell bed to find himself...in a field? In the sun?
[color=004d]"....huh...Doom isn't counting sheep..."[/color] He muttered to himself as he slowly stood up, realizing that he felt a lot less like crap then he did before.
Then it finally hit him.

[color=004d]"...Doom is-...outside?..."[/color] He said to himself as he noticed the rolling hills, the distant forest and the lack of a blood-encrusted odor lingering in the air.
And the only thing that could make this better was him noticing all his dear friends slowly waking up nearby.
Wesker was the first to arise, quickly noticing his change of surroundings more so then his friends as he remarked "...Where am I?...What's going on?"
Cortex soon followed suit as he rolled himself onto his back before glancing up at the sky above, suddenly feeling-...a lot less angry at the world (and a certain Changeling) then he was before.
[color=b4b4]"...Guys, I thought we were in prison?..."[/color]
"Yeah...So did I..." Bruiser remarked as he stood up, noticing that he was back in his prime with no scars, all his internal organs in place and even with both his arms back!
"...Wait, we're not in prison?"
[color=6c1504]"YEAH BITCHES! YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD TAME THE BISON?! AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"[/color]
Ah yes...Bison was a LOT more happy about this turn of events considering how much he enjoyed not being incarnated.
Running up to Cortex and Bruiser, he gave them a big awkward hug as he bragged [color=6c1504]"See?! It's just like I said! Everything went JUST as a I planned! Now, all we have to do is contact the Super PACs I set up-"[/color]
"...Bison..."
[color=6c1504]"-Wire the money to my hidden accounts in South America, finally put the down payment on that fancy Yacht we all wanted to get-"[/color]
[color=004d]"..Uhhh...Doom-Doom thinks you should-"[/color]
[color=6c1504]"Oh! and I FINALLY figured out the name of it! "Descending Dusk". That'll show those meddling Rising Dawn bastards who's boss, isn't that right Caim?...Caim?...Caim-...."[/color]

The embarrassment didn't get to sink in for too long as Bison found himself locking eyes with the resident Swordsman.
And realize that, while they were out of prison, they were still barely 20 feet away from the airship.
And he just explained their backup plan in front of the people they were meant to be escaping from.

[color=6c1504]"...And-...we wouldn't-....do any of that...we-...just-....like to-...talk about our...wild dreams and desires while we-...walk back to our-"[/color]
"I'm going have to stop you there, Mike..."
[color=6c1504]"What is it, Al?"[/color]
"No reason, I just had to stop you from talking..." Wesker confessed as he adjusted his glasses before calmly putting his hands behind his head and getting on his knees, Bruiser quickly following suit.

"ahem."

Angelus, who had been enjoying a comfortable nap with Caim at her side, lifted her immense red head to regard the quintet of prisoners that were now bowing down before herself and her sword-wielding companion. With a huff of her nose she murmured, "We all awaken in a field with our prisoners attempting an escape. Not my favored form of circumstances."

She roused to her full height, truely imposing herself over the former A.I.M. members and looked down upon them with tiny yellow eyes. It was interesting, the first sight of the Dawn and these dangerous individuals immediately sit down and shut up. What was most interesting was that one she might considered an archenemy at one point, Bruiser, now whole and hearty, laid down is many arms without a fight. It was... equal parts intriguing and disquieting. Were they planning something once they were brought into the Dawn? Or perhaps, to be optimistic, he realized the futility of their dance of life and death? As she regarded them, she spoke aloud, her voice taking on the best authoritative edge she could manage, "However, your course of action is a very wise one. We will be returning shortly to the Dawn. Caim, herald another of our group to assist with restraints."

Caim huffed but nodded and complied, wandering over to the larger gathering of people along the way, the words
Code:
"I've no idea what Inuart sees in these people..."
echoing from his PDA as he walked away.
But as Caim walked away, there was something he could have sworn he had heard: [sub]"...More than in your sister."[/sub]
Even in their current situation, staring down a murderous dragon and her even more murderous pet, Wesker's underhanded remark did force some chuckles from his fellow prisoners, namely Cortex as he stood there half-way between sobbing from fear and sobbing from laughter.
[color=b4b4]"PFffff-....ah-...*sniff* Uhhh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."[/color]
Caim whirled around on the spot and power-walked back to the group, his expression furrowed as his PDA 'shouted' back,
Code:
"What did you just say about Furiae?!"
"Caim..."
Code:
"No, Let him talk. The hell are you on about?"
"That you can judge a man from the company he keeps, but also from the company he has kept."
Cortex looked like he was in pain as he knew each unwilling chuckle he made dug himself a deeper and deeper grave.
[color=b4b4]"Pffff-...He's saying, not me! Just-......heh-....Sorry, sorry, I laugh when I'm nervous....ohhhh..."[/color]
[color=004d]"...Can someone explain the Joke to Doom?"[/color]
[color=6c1504]"....I could be ruling the world right now...From a Golden Throne, surrounded by strippers dressed like me and all while the entire human race bows before me...And instead I'm here..."[/color] Bison lamented while Wesker stared down the Swordsman, only for Doom to interrupt with [color=004d]"...You have stripper clothing? Is that the joke?"[/color]
Caim glared back at the scientist, the PDA on his hip answering,
Code:
"If you think I judge him sorely on his company, then you are mistaken. Inuart has a lot more to answer for than associating with you lot. Think of it this way - you five? If he were a garbage fire, you're but another stick thrown on top.... Besides, it's clear he never deserved her anyway. Not after he got her killed."
He looked ready to leave, until another question crossed his mind,
Code:
"Why [b]do[/b] you care so much anyway? I thought he was another soldier or something as far as your cartel was concerned."
"It's almost as if we have lives outside of work. Real question I'm wondering is why a 10000 year old dragon would care so much for someone who's-...oh, Ohhhhh, now I get it. You're *her* pet. Yeah, bet she'll even take you out to get put to sleep and replace you with a new mortal once you get too old to give her back scratches." Wesker jeered back, right as Cortex practically wet himself from pants shitting terror as well as the amusing mental image of Angelus in a human pet store.
[color=b4b4]"Ohhhhh man...this is actually how I die....PPFFFF, ohhh, imagine if she had a leash and everything! HAHAHAHAHAH!"[/color]
There was a moment of silence, save for the sound of the breeze whirling through the air. Angelus tried to break the silence by starting with, "Caim, you know that isn't-"

However, she was unable to finish the sentence, as Caim was already running towards Wesker, expression livid and sword drawn.
Wesker didn't move from his kneeling position, least not until Caim was about to land the killing blow.
All his momentum stopped dead as he noticed a bleeding hand holding his sword a scant inch from Wesker's forehead.
"...Go on...listen to your master and let us be on our way..." He snarked back as he calmly stood up without releasing his hold on the weapon.
[color=6c1504]"Oh crap, are we fighting?! Listen, this man doesn't speak for me! I'm TOTALLY pro-....Whatever you call your-...."Partnership". I'm-i'm-i'm a progressive dictator!"[/color] Bison panicked as Cortex's laughter turned to actual crying.
[color=b4b4]"Ohhhhh, please don't hit me in the face. Not the face again..."[/color]
[color=004d]"WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE JOKE TO DOOM! HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW!"[/color]
Angelus looked on helplessly between the duo - as much as she wanted to intervene, her claws and fangs could easily pierce metal and bone, and her tail was thick and heavy enough to swat the both of them at once. Instead, she attempted to appeal to reason again, her 'voice' entering Caim's mind - "You know he is only attempting to rile you up, Caim! You know the truth for yourself. Stop this at once!"

However, all she sensed back was rage. Caim was truly affronted, not only from the implication that he was her servant, but Wesker's attempts to debase their bond, the barbs he lobbed against his sister and...of course, the core of the whole debate - Inuart was on his mind. An unholy cocktail of sore spots, each pressed very firmly by Wesker's words. As such, when his sword was held in Wesker's hand, Caim lashed out as he knew best. He brought up a foot and firmly planted it into Wesker's torso, relinquishing himself and his sword from the doctor's hold. Taking a step back, Caim readied another strike, this one coming in from the side.
"Oh please..." Wesker remarked as he got ready to counter, grabbing the sword effortlessly in his hand once more-

[HEADING=3]"GRRRAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!"[/HEADING]

While all this was going on, Bruiser had sat there, waiting to return to his cell but it appeared now that he was getting into the fray.
Roaring as he charged at Caim, even startling Wesker as he turned his head to see his friend getting ready to strike.
What really took Caim by surprise was how Bruiser stuck not him with a Dynamic Punch but rather-
"!?!?!?!?"
The last thing Wesker knew, all the air in his lungs had been forced out of him and he was now embedded in a Wesker-sized dent in the side of the airship, looking rather shocked and dazed before his body peeled off the side of the ship like a post-it note and flopped weakly on the ground.
"...He's done. Take us back to our cells."
[color=6c1504]"Bruiser, what the hell-"[/color]
[HEADING=1]"YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, DO YOU!? DO YOU?! HUH!?"[/HEADING]
While Bison's sense of courage was never his strong suit, even he had one he still wouldn't be able to find the courage to explain his problems with being a prisoner here of all places but as Rugal would have said: "The threat of pain is a powerful motivation."
While his friends picked up a frankly stunned and rather in pain Wesker, Bruiser merely glanced back at Caim and Angelus before silently handing himself and his friends into some of the security staff's hands.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Origin Plains: Rising Dawn Landing Zone: Adelheid Bernstein

"........?!"
The second he could wake up, Adelheid did so with a start as he practically jumped to his feet and got ready to defend himself, his instincts kicking in long before his brain did.
He was so caught up in his fight-or-flight response, the fact he wasn't a half-assembled cyborg anymore seemed to be lost on him as he tried to figure out where he was.
""YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, DO YOU!? DO YOU?! HUH!?"
The yelling got his attention as he quickly crept his way behind cover, trying to figure out the source.

That when he realized he had to leave this place as soon as possible.

He watched as Bison attempted to fix the glasses on Wesker's face, only to pause as if he had "Sensed" something as he scanned the area for the source.
Adel could still remember all the battles and killing he had done in Bison's name, a mere look on his face bringing it all flooding back.
A cold sweat started to break out as the first thing on his mind became getting the hell out of here before he went back to being Bison's slave.
So he did the first thing that a mentally unstable person most likely shouldn't do: Attempt to steal a car or some form of transportation.
Keeping out of sight and mind from the awakening crew members, he sneaked into the airship's hanger bay before looking for anything he could use to escape.
"Come on, doesn't anyone here own a car or a bike?!" He fretted as his search proved somewhat fruitless, least before he managed to find one of the transport shuttles used to bring people to the Rising Dawn mid-flight.
Now for the hard part: Figuring out how to fly this thing before someone noticed he was here...

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

["WHAT?! YOU JUST GOING TO RUN!? I'M NOT DONE WITH YOU ALL YET!"] Rugal shouted at the fleeing Raiders, least before the reality of the situation started to come crashing down on his would-be heroics.
While he was going to charge up a Kaiser Wave and show these bastards just exactly what a REAL Lion looked like, he soon dropped that thought as he realized that one of their own was stuck down and at deaths door.
In that moment, he felt all strength and momentum leave his body.
Eurydice was young, too young and while he wasn't the kind to be squeamish about blood and death, it was far more hard hitting when it happened to someone who could have very had been one of his little girls-

It was then that he noticed the other figure, the apparent reaper of this world as he picked up the souls of-...what used to be the men that Rugal killed.
"...This...is new..." He stammered, quickly realizing that maybe there was a reason even the highwaymen didn't seem too keen to murder.
It was then he finally realized that Eurydice was most likely his next target, re-igniting his will as he merely said "...Not Today."
Rushing back to the wounded, he commanded the women around Defibrillation to "Clear the way! CLEAR THE DAMN WAY!"
Without much explanation, he then pressed his hand against her wound before doing what he could to stabilize her.
Energy seemed to seep from his body, travelling down his tembling arm as it flowed into Eurydice's body.
While it didn't do anything to heal the wound itself, Eurydice would-...well, she would feel rather powerful, despite her wounds.
It was like a modern day defibrillation as she could feel her strength increase far beyond her wildest expectations, keeping her heart beating far longer then anyone in her state had any right to (Hell, she could even sit up and stand albeit rather uncomfortably!)

"Ahhh...Ahhh...I gave her some of my Ki...About Half. It won't last for...long but it will keep her alive long enough to save her..." He explained, attempting to shake off the dizziness he felt as he attempted to recall some of his daughter's medical advice.
"There is a build up of fluid...in her lungs...We need to clear it, using a small tube to drain it...do this by inserting it into her lung...Then bandage and....dress the wound..." He explained as he took off his jacket and quickly tore the fabric into sheets, glancing over at Dis in case he made a move.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Origin Planes
[hr]

While Angelus had dealt with Caim and Wesker's argument, she'd feel a light breeze hit her back leg. In that moment, she probably wouldn't have even paid it much mind as it was just so gentle compared to her hardened scales. As she watched on in concern she'd notice that the feeling hadn't stopped but had grown stronger, as if she was being hugged? If she took a moment to look down, it would appear like her skin was flaking off? Was she wounded? Two large flaps of her scales moved independent of the rest. It wasn't until she saw the arms that connected to the flaps of scales and the person that were connected to those as well.

This wouldn't be completely surprising to Angelus, since Hillary's form had changed back at the elevator, so Angelus would be aware of her abilities, but perhaps not to the extent they could go. Hillary was head to toe covered in scales identical to Angelus'. Unlike before where she had some appearance of hair on her head, this time a small frill of scales gave the illusion of any scalp line. Her frame was slim, her bust next to gone making her look a bit like Nina in a way. Her arms were elongated as were her fingers, while a webbing of slim scales stretching the gaps in between and making their way back to her torso. Most of all the changes, her pseudopod had coalesced into an elongated mass that she sat upon looking like a tail similar to the Angelus'! The scales of her face and belly seemed to be smaller than the ones on her arms and back, but the tones matched Angelus' so well.

She hadn't meant to ditch Teri as she did but when she saw the huge dragon appear from the grassy hills she couldn't help but scoot over to the creature. Because of her grassy form before adopting the scales, her movements wouldn't give any sound of her approach other than the normal sound of grass blowing in the breeze. Hillary didn't seem to notice these drastic changes to her appearance as she merely nuzzled Angelus foot, giggling softly to herself. She'd shy away as some of the loud shouts rang out, but clearly Angelus' current form was keeping Hillary's undivided attention. Eventually the little mess of scales would look up to Angelus, a big scaly grin on her face and asked.

"Hillary didn't think she'd see another dragon? Is it okay if Hillary asks you your name? My name's Hillary~"

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]
[[Bad End Flag]]​

"Do not assume you understand the rules of this world, Rugal Bernstein. You speak humbly, but act with arrogant self-righteousness."

The sun started to settle deep into the horizon. Night came with her stars that lit up the sky. The deep violets and oranges shimmered alongside the smoky trails of Dis' robes. He crossed his arms and watched Rugal work. He was silent and solemn in his stance, cloaked in an ethereal aura that was unique not only to the Gods, but to this version of the world.

Eurydice put her hand on Livia's hands and smiled. "He's given me enough strength... to at least say goodbye." Eurydice forced herself up and kissed Livia on her cheek before slumping over.

A specter appeared next to Dis. A beautiful woman, coy and cute in her demeanor. She had long blonde hair and kind blue eyes. Eurydice smiled and waved from Dis' side, her expression was as sad as it was relieved. Dis raised his hand and touched each spirit on the shoulder wordlessly, bidding them to dissipate into smoke. Then he tucked his hands under his robe and vanished in the same way he came - in an imperceptible instant.

Livia was silent as she held onto Eurydice's body. It was clinging to the smaller girl, gasping for breath. Its eyes were blind, but they searched around her for light. Blood ebbed out of the wound in her chest in small bursts, leaving streams of darkening blood trickling toward the dusty ground. The corpse raised its hands and grabbed at Livia's arms, scratching the girl as it sucked air greedily into its frothing mouth.

For a long time Livia just sat there, letting the body scratch at her skin until it was red and angry. Kleo, Ortha, and Phili watched from afar, stunned at what had happened. Kleo, who had gathered a reed to help with the first aid, clutched it so tightly that her knuckles were white from the exertion.

Then she struck as swift as a viper, plunging her right-hand knife into the body. She twisted it and it glowed with energy. The body's flesh petrified, turning to white marble. Livia pulled her knife out of the statue she held in her hands and looked down at the visage of what was once Eurydice.

Ortha approached first, kneeling down gently next to her mistress and putting a hand on her shoulder. She opened her mouth as if to speak, but Livia cut her off.

"I will bury her myself once we reach Pompeii." Livia's words were stern, sad, and lost. Beneath the confident and commanding demeanor of a tyrant, she was still a young girl, no more than sixteen. To her death the death of someone she had known for ten years was like the loss of family.

No, it wasn't like the loss of family. It was the loss of her family. She wanted to cry, yet the tears would not come. In fact nothing came to her face at all. Her temper was even and her movements were deliberate. She picked up the statue and put it on her horse.

Livia held the reigns lightly in her hand and started to walk down the dusty road in silence. The other handmaidens followed after her, putting the horse between themselves and Rugal.

The journey from there was done in silence. Light faded into the west and the skies became the dominion of Night. She swept across the sky and set the stars alight, shining so brightly that they illuminated the narrows that they were crossing. Every now and again Livia would look at the marble statue resting silently on her horse's back and smile sadly.

They reached Ostia in a little under three hours.

---​

The port city was bustling even at night. Lanterns and torches lit the city as merchants, traders, and guildsmen called for clients within the cobblestone walls of the city. The roads were paved with stone and smoothed with use. Colorful mosaics adorned both buildings and streets with images of ancient legends. There were temples every so often to gods of all types. To Isis, to Minerva, to Jove, but most of all to Mercury, whose winged sandals seemed to be omnipresent across the city.

Several merchants waved at Livia as she passed. She returned the gesture meekly and exchanged some pleasantries.

They stopped at a large concrete building that was not unlike a modern hotel. In fact, it was a hotel. Livia gave up some silver coins for a large room and a stable for her horse. After some hesitation she also rented a room for Rugal on the same floor as hers.

Livia set her belongings in her room and left without another word into the hustle and bustle of the port city.

---​

Rugal found himself with some choices. He could go into the city to see what Ostia had to offer - go talk to some priests at a temple, peruse the portside market, or just wander around the city for something interesting, he could talk to the remaining handmaidens, or he could just sleep the night away and hope that tomorrow was better.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

"Is that so." Phillip sounded, oddly mellow after hearing this information. Phillip for the moment believed Miriam, she was odd but nothing beyond the other denisens of this rocket train. His limited understanding of social interaction didn't help the situation either, but if she said there was no cure and she hadn't prepared the sherbet eggs, he didn't have much else to go on. "Alright, I will leave for the moment but I will be keeping an eye on the food coming from this kitchen. Once you are finished using the Stardust, I would like to offer my services as well. If you would have me, but for now I'll go look for Nina." Phillip stated, setting aside the small army of cooking utensils he had in his possession.

"Show them your skill, but don't overdo it. A chef can't serve their patrons if they're dead." Phillip said before heading out, leisurely gesturing to her bandaged wrist. "Likewise, find out who served the sherbet palette cleansers, they're unfit to be a chef." He asserted.

[hr]

"Eh, I'd say she's more like a very good acquaintance than a friend just yet." Nina replied, rubbing her neck after being tugged like a ragdoll by Crown, the tightness of her dress meant he would have needed to grab her just as much as the dress. It took her a bit to realize this was what Crown had done to Faea before. It was definitely a lot more involved that she'd first expected. "I'm just thankful you heard us and we got here in time." She exhaled with gusto. Her heart had been racing ever since the Stardust had first been discovered, this was the first moment she'd had since then to get a breather. Her heart working overtime would probably be a very tempting sight for Faea, but hopefully her sweet tooth could be sated with something else.

"And you people!" Nina raised her voice pointing at the goblins and orcs. "Explain yourselves, NOW! Everything was going perfectly fine [sub]relatively[/sub] until you brought out those stupid eggs and then everything went sideways!" She shouted at them, stomping her foot. "As far as I know, Phillip's dealing with the kitchen right now, but what's the big idea trying to poison everyone here? And..." Nina's eyes widened as it kinda dawned on her, Crown was here and seemingly alright? "Actually, Crown are you feeling alright? How is Talavie? This whole thing started when we saw that stuff in your dish." She asked with genuine concern, as far as she was aware they were dying after all.

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Table for Two
Code:
Nina's story
[hr]

When Philip left the kitchen, he found himself once again in that grey space. Now there were stone slates moving slowly from lock to lock across a great white plane. There was a girl who sat atop of one of the shifting slabs. She looked like Miriam, but instead of the white garb of a chef she wore a long black coat that ran down to boots. This one's eyes were cruel, a blue that reflected an uncaring and malicious soul. Even without words he could feel her voice in the core of his own space.

I love it when people are hurt.

A slate slot into place to form a fourth magnitude matrix. There was an implicit understanding that this metaphysical structure was what was sealing Philip's own spatial capabilities. The girl stood up, her hands in her pockets, and looked down at Philip as he crossed this domain. A dramatic breeze cast her coat and hair aflutter. She grinned. Her gaze was ice.

Then Philip had returned to the train. The space outside was dark. The elder wonder had left for realms beyond, leaving nothing outside but a sparse starscape. The stars outside were old, far older than they should have been given the distance they had gone. Was there something near the outside of existence that was accelerating time here? He didn't have time to think about it.

Philip rejoined Nina in the children's car with as much haste as he could muster.

---​

"Orders," the Ogre said as he held his hands up. "Matron told us to do. We do. Simple. We do not question."

Mnemosyne seemed disturbed by this. "The Matron was giving you your orders?" she asked.

"Yes. Directly as well. Orders: serve food given. Do not stop no matter the reason." The Ogre shook his head as if he was completely at a lost for words. "Cannot disobey Matron. It is impossible. Cannot lie about Matron. It is impossible."

"Yeah..." Mnemosyne holstered her guns and crossed her arms. Her brows were furrowed in pensive thought.

Crown shrugged and patted his chest, "I feel as fine as the day I was born. It was quite the nice experience actually! I've never felt so alive!"

Talavie put a finger on her forehead and shrugged, "I mean, it's not any different from the stuff I used to eat as a child. I don't see why it would harm me in anyway." Talavie grinned good-naturedly, "Nice of you to be so worried about me even though we're pretty much strangers!"

"Are you sure you're alright?" Crown asked. He put a gloved hand on Nina's forehead like he was checking her temperature, "You're acting like that was some sort of poison. Everyone in our car had it and no one feels any worse off."

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
[hr]
Reason to Rise
"To learn, to find knowledge in all things"
Anjali's Story
[hr]

Anjali watched the process in the guild hall curiously, taking in all the different sights and sounds. She had thought this place would be less confusing than the Rising Dawn, but no, if anything, it was even more confusing. Even if there were not many people, seemingly every single one was an individual, rank and order not recognizable, if even existing. As she watched Freya's argument with the foreman and its resolution, she winced at the amount of foul language Freya was using. She did not even know half of the terms.

[small]"What is a smeg ..."[/small] She wanted to ask, but speaking too quietly, and not knowing when, she was already delegated to Vil. At least he was pleasant company. She followed him into a restaurant, and tried to remember all the strange words she was hearing, so she could ask Vil about them once they had stopped in a quiet place.

Quite overwhelmed, she nearly did not realise that they had stepped into a workshop and living space. Only when Vil started explaining, Anjali tried to sort her thoughts again, while keeping standing in the middle of the room, not knowing where to place her spear, or whether to sit down somewhere.

"This is all so confusing ... I recognize none of this." She said. "Could you ... could you explain some things to me? I don't know what a puppeteer is, what they do. Were you built by her? But ... what were you before that?"

She took a quick break to sort her thoughts, then started rattling down the questions she had. "What iss a Noltell? What is the Crimson Congregation? I heard people speak about that. What is Roil? What are these artifacts? What was this place before? What is Lacrima and Ekroia? What is a soul essence?"

Not needing to breath, her questions seemed neverending, as she did not need to pause to get some air. But then, she stopped, and realizing what she had done, added: [small]"... sorry."[/small]

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Reason to Rise
Anjali's Story
[hr]

Vil put his cloak down on a table and stalked toward an icebox. He reached inside and produced a sack of fluid before handing it to Anjali. The smell of it was instantly recognizable. It was blood, fresh, but she couldn't tell what sort of animal it was from. Vil sat down and laughed his kind echoing laugh.

"It would be my pleasure to tell you about my home," Vil said once he finished his display of mirth. And so Vil told Anjali all the things she wished to know.

System Message said:
Journal Updated

Noltell, Sky's Reach is a large landmass adjacent to Offal. It is a mountain range known for it's flat-peak slopes. Noltell falls under the jurisdiction of Ekroia and is consistently scoured by adventurers for artifacts from older ages. Noltell is home to only one indigenous people, the Clan of Giants, who while barbaric are not uncivilized. Their villages act as the primary staging areas for delves deep into the caverns below the mountain range. The Clan operates a sophisticated series of logistic networks that is necessary for civilian and military forces to cross into the Western hemisphere.

The Crimson Congregation is the catch-all term for an ancient civilization that once ruled all of Amaranth. They were blood magic users, capable of immense feats using ritual magic. Legends say that in return for their immense power, they each needed to sign a pact with a forgotten god of the darkness, and in doing so surrendered their humanity for immortality and strength. The Congregation is now known to be the government of ancient Vampires who, because they could not survive in the sunlight, built their cities in the caverns within the earth. Early species of man called this precursor civilization Children of the Night, a nickname that persists into the modern age. The Congregation's sciences make up the backbone of modern alchemy and soul sciences, and as such artifacts from their civilization are highly valued by empires and private individuals alike.

The Roil is a phenomenon that started sometime over two thousand years ago with the sudden dying off of the Crimson Congregation. Landmasses in Amaranth move every now and again as if they were alive. Mountains tumble across the plains, oceans creep into forests, swamps appear where once there was only desert. Every so often major landmarks just vanish into the depths of the earth, never to be seen again.

Instances of the Roil make good opportunities for adventurers to journey further and deeper into the networks of caves left behind by the Crimson Congregation. But such explorations are dangerous, not only because of the instability of the earth immediately following a Roil movement, but also because the Roil tends to awaken ancient beasts that lie dormant within the darkest reaches of the earth.

Lacrima is adventurer slang for Crystal Soul Essence. These crystals often look like tears, giving them the name "Lacrima." Lacrima is primarily used as backing for currencies in Amaranth. The practical uses of the crystals are many. They can be consumed to produce energy, cast magic, perform alchemy, or in the rarest of cases, infuse life into inanimate objects. Experimentation with human Lacrima is strictly prohibited by most of Amaranth's governments. Lacrima are recovered primarily from Crimson Congregation artifact sites, though some are found naturally occurring in places like natural oases or fertile crescents.

The League of Ekroia is a large governmental body made of many smaller states. It is named after the city state that united the Eastern hemisphere in the dark age following the collapse of the Crimson Congregation. Ekroia is the largest military power in the world and constantly asserts its sovereignty on the smaller nations in Southern and Western Amaranth.

Ekroia has explicitly outlawed research into the Crimson Congregation within its borders, prompting many scientists and adventurers to seek the free asylum of Dulce and other frontier cities.
The United Kingdoms of Nanumon is an unofficial collection of governments that span to the West of the Noltell mountain range. Though they are of many different races and inclinations, the mutual threat of Ekroia has set them together in a tentative alliance.

Nanumon is lead by the Kingdom of Finnigan, who fronts the military activities against Ekroia. Economically the alliance is supported by Bordaeu, an oligarchy run by merchant barons.

Many of the non-humans in Amaranth are from homelands within the United Kingdoms. The borders are generally free and the people are easy going about their mostly-political alliance.

Relics, or Artifacts, are incredibly powerful pieces of equipment recovered from the Crimson Congregation. The goal of many adventurers and delvers is to find a Relic and to sell it. A single Relic-class item can easily sell for a price equivalent to the GDP of entire cities. People who use Relics are documented by both Ekroia and Nanumon as either heroes or outlaws. The incredible power that Relics give a person makes them an indispensable part of Amaranthian military battles.

Some examples of Heroes and their Relics are as follows.
Ludan of Vocce: A human sorcerer who posses the Relic known as Nightshade. Nightshade allows him to teleport across vast distances. He is known to be the only living person to have reached lands outside of Amaranth. Ludan is the leader of the Nanumon United Kingdom's expeditionary force.

Bardylis of Eordea: A human warrior of the Ekroian League. His Relic, Thunderbreaker, is a hammer that harmonizes with solid materials and can shatter anything after three strikes. Bardylis commands Fort Eiji in Noltell for the Ekroian League.

Leland Allyone: A famed Puppeteer from the city of Terenith in the United Kingdoms. His Relic, Controller, was a gauntlet that allowed him to control countless automatons at once. The passive boost to both intellect and dexterity when wore it was intense, but also came at a terrible price. Leland died of exhaustion when he was only 30, having used Controller for only two years before meeting his untimely end. Controller was never recovered despite multiple attempts by Terenith to reclaim it's treasure.

Shoko Amiya no Hachisuwa: A Meiishi priestess from Hachisuwa who is politically aligned to the Nanumon United Kingdoms. Her Relic, Tamashi no Umi, is a fan that controls the weather at sea. While she dislikes conflict, when her compatibility with her Relic was discovered she was enlisted as the Admiral-in-Command of Nanumon's merchant fleet.

Kelden Orwelden: A Wood Elf Adventurer. He possesses Echo, a Relic that actively seeks out other Relics. He is not aligned with either Nanumon nor Ekroia. His company, the Deep Braves, is the premier expeditionary force into Crimson Congregation areas.

Soul Essence is the source of all magic in Amaranth. It is a physical phenomenon of energy produced by the will of a sentient being. It is largely harvested in the form of Lacrima. Each creature has the ability to generate Soul Essence by focusing their desires on an outcome. Mages are most able to attune their Soul Essence to perform physical feats.

Puppeteers, or officially, Soul Tinkers, are mages that specialize in Soul Essence-infused equipment. They often gear out adventuring parties with enchanted armors, tools, and weapons. They descend from a long line of military strategists that used enchanted puppets to fight battles, earning them the moniker "puppeteer." Puppeteers are rare and function pn a master-apprentice system instead of the more common Guild system.

About two hours into Vil's stories, the door to the workshop opened and Freya stepped in looking tired and frazzled. There was soot on her face and her green hair was blown back. Two automatons carried sheets of metal behind her. Frey looked at the two sitting next to each other and couldn't stifle an amused laugh.

"Having fun?" She asked. The two automatons entered the room and set down the rolls of metal sheet on a loaded work rig and left, whirring mechanical parts clinking against each other like lumbering buckets of bolts. "Chatting is all well and good, but we still have to figure out a way to get our new friend home don't we?"

There was a glint in Vil's eye. "That I wonder. How urgently do you think you want to return to your Rising Dawn, Anjali?"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]
Anger was a funny thing.

Usually when he felt anger it was towards another being, one that he could (usually) end the life of rather quickly or at the very least intimidate until it was no longer a factor.
This?...This wasn't like when he abused Annie for the death of S'zami or when he allowed his anger of his own power to overwhelm and defeat him back in the realm of Philemon.
This time, he knew that this was his fault alone and that kind of anger was not one that could be quelled easily.
He was silent for the entire trip himself, even going so far as to completely embrace his "Pack mule" status as he meekly carried their belongings as penance.
Replaying that fight over and over again in his mind for the rest of the trip, even as they entered the city he found himself unable to think of anything else.

When they finally reached their destination, he declined the offer of a room paid with Livia's gold, stating "I've taken enough from you for one lifetime." before leaving the hotel for the city's night scene.
More than anything else, he needed something to pry his own self doubt from his mind so he went for the old stand-by that had gotten him this far in life: picking a fight.
Wandering the markets and public houses, he stood out for his attire as he explored for either a sanctioned prize-fighting scene, any local bounty boards, hell he'd almost settle for NFL tackling a shoplifter.
At this point, he found himself caring little for what it was about, he just needed to recenter himself, even if it involved un-centering someone's internal or external organs.

His search was restless as he was unable to shake those words he had heard, both from Eurydice and...elsewhere...

"Do not assume you understand the rules of this world, Rugal Bernstein. You speak humbly, but act with arrogant self-righteousness."

Someone was watching him as he traveled, judging and commenting but for what purpose? Either way, his thoughts were too clouded to really do anything about it now.
Understand the rules? What good are those if they do nothing to stop raiders from attacking innocents? Who the hell does this being think they are-......oh forget it...What am I going to do? Punch Death into submission?... he told himself before letting out a large sigh, finding it doing little against this wave of self resentment.
Come on...one of you...just give me an excuse... He found himself almost begging in the middle of the crowds, watching for something, anything for him to "Vent" with.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
The Escapist Avatar Adventures | Child in Chains | Some Freaky-Ass Jungle on Suwa
"Seriously, this stuff just looks lewd."
B.C.
[hr]

B.C. trudged forward in the brush without so much as a modicum of stealth. After all, being supremely irritated would have been enough to make that hard, much less the fact that she wasn't one to sneak around. Subtlety was never a strong suit of hers. As she listened to her new companion's complaints regarding her bust, the Space Convict sneered to herself and held up a hand to make mocking talking motions. But one comment in particular had her stopping in her tracks.

"If you were Balance's champion... or something like that... then she must have been in quite a pinch. You're absolutely nothing like any of her other champions."

She turned to glare, although one of her hidden eyebrows winged upward as she said, "I believe it, because there ain't no-one else like me. I'm one-of-a-kind, accept no substitutes."

The Convict was about to turn away and continue trudging in the direction of what she hoped the Space Pirates went in, only for Syl to stop her once again. This time, with a stripped branch that oozed a milky sap. She stared at it for a moment. The substance it leaked was enough to make her think of certain other milky white substances, and she would have made the observation. But she didn't, because some measure of decorum held her back.

"Strip and lather yourself with this. You don't look like a Shuwan girl, but you definitely don't smell like one. And the latter is more likely to draw attention to us. Plus, it also protects you from the suns once we break out from the canopy. The atmosphere here doesn't have ozone so the radiation is quite something fierce."

With a bad-tempered grumble, B.C. snatched the branch out of Syl's hands, but instead of stripping she simply caught a glob of the sap in one hand and rubbed it into what parts of her skin were exposed. Even daintily rubbing some on her cheeks and nose. Tossing the stick aside when she was finished, she was about to resume their trek, but she paused. Looked down at her hand. And realized there was still quite a bit of sap left over. So, she reached over and wiped her hand off on Syl's cheeks with a bored expression.

"Alright, there, you got me to put on your stupid tree juice. Now, where the fuck do these Pirates make camp so I can steal one of their ships off this rock?" she asked dryly.