The Escapist: Now With Badges!

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Ethereal Firebane said:
That said, I would like probation.
Why?
B&
You know, I can see how you guys would enjoy that... Watch your temper, and your mouth.

EDIT: This would be a great opportunity to earn our Trollslayer badges.

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Seriously, what is your problem... oh I see you don't have as many badges as the rest of us.

EDIT: aaw, only 3 days?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Let it be known that I support Haliwali's idea of troll-slaying badges. They would be pretty awesome.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Haliwali said:
If there is one, you've already earned it.

Seriously though, a good sumaritan badge would encourage good behavior.

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
the monopoly guy said:
Haliwali said:
If there is one, you've already earned it.

Seriously though, a good sumaritan badge would encourage good behavior.
Really, I think the idea of not being banned is encouragement enough. Although if you want everyone else to know how nice you are I can see why you would want it.

As for Trollslayer badges, a Warhammer wouldn't be bad. For the King badge just throw a crown behind it.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Haliwali said:
As for Trollslayer badges, a Warhammer wouldn't be bad. For the King badge just throw a crown behind it.
Says the King Trollslayer.

Larenxis said:
I can't figure out what the image for socialite is, and it's driving me mad. What is it?
I have got literally no clue. It looks like a cross between a bingo marker and a microphone.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
Larenxis said:
I can't figure out what the image for socialite is, and it's driving me mad. What is it?
its a christmas light. hahaha, yeah kinda confusing. at least thats what i think it looks like

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Larenxis said:
It's a satellite. Haile, the artist that did the 'Community' art, was being funny :)

Also, there are never going to be any badges to encourage trolling or getting into fights with trolls. Report the posts and ignore the content, and the moderators will take care of the rest - that's why they're here.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
Virgil said:
It's a satellite. Haile, the artist that did the 'Community' art, was being funny :)
Ohhhhhhh! Okay, I see it now. I think the blue background threw me off. Thanks!

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Virgil said:
Also, there are never going to be any badges to encourage trolling or getting into fights with trolls. Report the posts and ignore the content, and the moderators will take care of the rest - that's why they're here.
Killjoy.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Haliwali said:
Virgil said:
Killjoy.
you have on in my mind...and my heart...
Ok, that was a little strange.

Still, I would like to know your (mods) thoughts on a good sumaritan type badge...because I'm nosy like that

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Erana said:
This will corrupt the concept of "friend."
I suspect so, at least.
Well, that assumes that the rest of the internet hasn't already. Think of it more like 'favorite posters'. The badges are set up such that you're encouraged to add a few friends of your own, but not that many, to get you familiar with the system. More importantly, it gives a reason to 'get added', which (theoretically) involves posting things that others find interesting. Or, I suppose, socializing enough to convince people to trade adds with you - that's still a positive type of interaction though.

Most importantly, it gets more people to use the flagging, even for a somewhat artificial reason. We want to make that section do more, and we need more people to use it in order to do make that happen.

Many of the badges are intended to do things like this. The thread replies/views ones are to encourage people to come up with interesting topics that encourage discussion. The unique thread/forum count ones are to encourage people to explore a bit more (and not just post in ZP threads, or on Off-Topic, for example). The PM ones are to both make people realize the system is there and to encourage them to read their PMs.

It's relatively easy to ban people, lock threads, remove posts, and do other kinds of 'negative reinforcement' to discourage problems. The badges are our attempt to do 'positive reinforcement' and recognize the people who make the site a better place.

the monopoly guy said:
Still, I would like to know your (mods) thoughts on a good sumaritan type badge...because I'm nosy like that
There already is one similar. It's from our original list, but we aren't happy with the art yet, so it won't go live until we are :p

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Virgil said:
the monopoly guy said:
There already is one similar. It's from our original list, but we aren't happy with the art yet, so it won't go live until we are :p
Just use Mr. Rogers.