The Escapist Presents: Live Chat with Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Live Chat with Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Missed our live chat from Game-X with Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, host of Zero Punctuation? Well we have that interview in its entirety for you right here.

Watch Video

MasterMayhem117

Sep 14, 2009
Was the part about quick time events done well screwed up purposely? the sound skips, but the video moves fine.. hmmm.. Yahtzee you genius idea witholder! You're saving that for a game you're designing aren't you!?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
When Yatzhee says "It's very hard" the sound bugs out...or was that done on purpose?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
MasterMayhem117 said:
Was the part about quick time events done well screwed up purposely? the sound skips, but the video moves fine.. hmmm.. Yahtzee you genius idea witholder! You're saving that for a game you're designing aren't you!?
HK_01 said:
When Yatzhee says "It's very hard" the sound bugs out...or was that done on purpose?
Not on purpose. The streaming software sometimes cuts out the audio like that when it records at the same time it streams live. Hopefully you can still understand what's going on from context.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
He touches on some good points, overall pretty nice to hear some of his thoughts on game design.

Sorry to say this but the interviewer was supremely annoying, I'd prefer a little less enthusiastic babble and more actual conversation next time, maybe that's just me though.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Gah! Damn it! I really REALLY wanted to hear his statement on a positive use of QTEs. I've said it time and time again, if he demands QTEs as a core part of gameplay in a game (as a requirement for them to feel organic and useful) he should check out Ninja Blade for the X360.
As for the rest of the interview, of course he's not the fast-talking maniac we know without a script, but I think he has loosened up somewhat since his last show performance, which is nice to see.
Thanks again for the poof gun reference, Susan! POOF! ^^

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
silvertoast said:
Is it just me or is this one of the stiffest interviews evar?
I blame the interviewer.
Not a whole lot the interviewer can do when the guy's clearly not much of a people's person :p

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
silvertoast said:
I blame the interviewer.
Brotherofwill said:
Sorry to say this but the interviewer was supremely annoying, I'd prefer a little less enthusiastic babble and more actual conversation next time, maybe that's just me though.
There's a difference between gushing enthusiastic babble and a conversation between two professional geeks. To me this falls firmly into the latter category.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
silvertoast said:
I blame the interviewer.
I'm inclined to believe that part of the problem is the interview questions were supplied by the community. It meant that while there was no visible lag-time between the interviewer ([user]Susan Arendt[/user]) and the persons asking questions, there was still a small space where the question had to be translated, then submitted. It made the whole interview more improvisation than interviewing, which probably was the main cause of the "stiffness." Considering it was also in a booth on the show-floor of a gaming show probably didn't help too much.

MasterMayhem117 said:
HK_01 said:
pliusmannn said:
it's very harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D damn it
Just hopping in to say the same problem occurred during the live broadcast. Maybe Yahzee will show up and explain it for us one day. Who knows?

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Bar in which you can drink and play at the same time? :D.
I'd love to see that sort of thing in Poland. The problem is I'd probably be too ashamed to show my true nerdiness and actually arrive there xP.

PS. Oh and the drink called Kamikaze could easly be called "mana pot" :p.

Spyre2000

Apr 18, 2009
LOL! EPIC FAIL. She tries to make up a game name to be generic in her question but their actual is a game called "Z".

So I wonder if he'll review Z now :).

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
wow, I thought he was going to say silent hill 2... but he said project zero (fatal frame instead... sweet!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
its very harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Yes, I saw that too. Fatboy Slim remix.

Let's hope that phrase never slurs for him like that at an innapropriate time with a lady.

Dilla

Jan 21, 2009
Yahtzee looks like a friend of mine! HA!

Very interesting watch though...

Dilla

Jan 21, 2009
Can anyone get the text of what we missed during the HAAAARRRDDD moments? I'd like to hear his answer to that!