The Escapist Presents: MovieBob Reviews Star Trek

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
ph3onix said:
I just wanna know what the fuck was wrong with transformers the movie.
As someone posted earlier... I went to see that movie expecting to watch robots bash each other for at least half of it. What I got was a movie that really only had that for like 30mins. It was not the "Transformers" that made the name. It was something else. The only reason why it made so money is because they used the name.

SageOfCalm

Mar 14, 2009
I don't think anything would've made this guy happy. Jesus, I had to turn it off half of the way through. I'd rather Hollywood appease the douchebag jocks than anti-social nerds.

mdmoore22

May 8, 2009
You know what I want to see . . . A Star Trek review. Not someone ripping of Yahtzee by annoyingly bitching about Transformers.

PayNSprayBandit

Dec 27, 2008
First off, outside of the coincidence thing, which merely made me smile, I couldn't have disagreed with you more. And not just about Star Trek, but in fact everything you said.

And now J.J. Abrams with a rebuttal from three months ago.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Couldn't possibly disagree more with the review. I think it's a welcome and entertaining reboot of the franchise, while staying true and loyal to the spirit and core of the original series. Pegg and Urban are, indeed, the standouts, and Uhura does get short shrift, but I think Pine does a fine job as cocky, reckless, girl-chasing Kirk. Let's face it, Kirk was a bit of a dick, but his passion and sense of responsibility (if one can do something to help, one should, whatever the consequence) ultimately made him a good captain, and Pine carries that off well.

Yes, the original series did attempt to disguise discussions of serious and weighty matters in sci-fi trappings, but not every episode was meant to be some sort of object lesson. Star Trek was, at times, nothing but a ripping good yarn, and that's what this movie is.

Elminsters Hat

Sep 3, 2008
I don't really get the complaining in here. After watching the review again it wasn't even all that negative, or had a lot of swearing, or was any more like ZP than every wannabe edgy comment posted in here.

Yes, it's nerdrage directed at stuff you like, get over it. If you need some faceless internet personality to reassure you your opinion of popular media is still "the right one", google "star trek review 2009".

mattjumbo

Jun 1, 2007
Here is all you need to know about this review. The reviewer thinks the script for Transformers "stripped out the nuanced mythos" of the cartoon series.

Uh-huh.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
This movie surpasses everything since Wrath of Khan.
And it only fails to surpasses Wrath of Khan if you're a fan boy.

A couple of his insights are good. I'll give him that. What's-her-name as just eye candy, yes the crew are hot. All true.

But a lot of it was bullocks. Fate and coincidence? I mean, they all *HAVE* to wind up on the ship together somehow, they're the damn crew. No matter how they contrived for everyone to wind up together, they would have wound up together, and it would have been through a set of coincidences. It was a coincidence that I wanted to play Mass Effect after watching the movie, so while I was watching the ZP review of it again with it my hand, I stumbled across this movie review. What are the odds of me being here right now?

Perhaps the only coincidence that you could possibly place in the bullshit category was that what's-her-name was in a bar in Iowa and bumped into Kirk there. But even then, I never felt like it was bullshit.

-------------

In short: Go watch it, it's fucking great. Fucking 96% on RT [http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/]. The fact that he opens his review with a massive QQ about how paramount was dissing the fans, which I assure you there was no executive desicion to intentionally alienate the fan base, should be evidence enough that he has a massive chip on his shoulder, and he is too "emotionally compromised" to accurately review the movie. Half of his review was about how much he hated the people behind the movie, and not what's going on with the movie itself.

Nice try. I found this review highly unhelpful, and pretentious at best.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
I enjoyed the movie, yet that said, I agree: it's dumbed down for the masses. In other words, the infidel. Well, maybe hard scifi just will never translate to movies very well, they're far too short. If this new take on ST will energize the franchise and grant it new life, I can accept the sacrifices it's made in terms of an intelligent plot, character development, social issues, and interesting new twists on technology and future lifestyles.

If it breathes new life into the genre - well, I've been waiting for a new ST tv series *cough-cough*

One change I did find hopeful: a greater variety of aliens as members of the Federation. The series (and the movies, aping them) featured only "human-centric" aliens, mostly due to budget concerns. They trotted out wave after wave of aliens that were simply humans with weird nose jobs. (pssst - you guys, where's an Andorian crewmember? Or an Orion . . . ).

Disagree about Pine's Kirk. The only thing I didn't like about him was: he was always getting his ass kicked. Hit the dojo, buddy.

As for Movie Bob being "far too indepth", it's what he does. I like him, even if I don't agree with him. One I do agree with:

The Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action.
. . . is Roger Ebert, who summed it up for me in that one sentence.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I enjoyed the review.

That's really all I can say until I see the movie myself, which I won't do for another few weeks, after the kiddies have cleared out.

Three things I wanted to comment on. From the forums.

One) I'm utterly amazed by how personal some people take things. He doesn't give a favorable review to something you like, so you attack him? I even read a couple comments about punching him. Holy crap people, get a grip.

Two) To people complaining about the quality: It's too bad your free entertainment doesn't match up to what you'd like. It must be incredibly inconvenient to be strapped down and forced to watch, a là Clockwork Orange.

Three) About the people saying "what do you expect," "it's just a popcorn movie," "I just wanted some good special effects," and the like. No. No no no no NO. Do *Not* take that attitude. It may be easier to just settle like that, but the more you do, the more you're telling film makers and companies "I don't care, I'll still watch it" and they'll keep lowering and lowering the bar.

Think Idiocracy. (Not the best movie imo, but it highlights things for some people nicely.)

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I somewhat liked Transformers, yes there could have been more robot bash fests, but I think it was a farcry "one of the worst movies of the f-ing decade." I mean it wasn't great by any means, but I found it enjoyable, and there have been some awful movies this last decade, so I find it hard to say Transformers was one of them. Again, definitely could have been better, but I didn't find it anywhere near as horrible as moviebob did. Then again, it is entirely possible he caught on to something that I missed completely.

I have never really watched any of the original Star Trek, and I don't know whether or not I will see this new one, but that isn't because of the review. I wasn't sure whether I would see this even before this review. Even when I disagree with the opinions he states, I can still find enjoyment in moviebob's videos. I have always like his gameoverthinker segments, and like someone else already pointed out "in depth" is his style, and I can respect that. Still I can understand the points that Baby Tea and others have made.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Baby Tea said:
This is my first time watching MovieBob, and I'm usually entertained by the videos hosted by the Escapist...but not this one.

First I certainly hope it's not supposed to be funny. I got a whiff of 'humor vibe' every now and again, but found my brow furrowed through most of the review. Never smirked or smiled, so I hope those attempts at humor aren't meant to be hook for this series.

Second, I was really very disappointed with the production values of this video. Maybe that's me, but everything else here, even ZP, looks better. This looks like it was done in Microsoft Movie Maker. Maybe it was? It works for ZP because ZP is fast, random, and humor centered, not 'review' centered. This might work if it was funny, but even if it was funny it just seemed thrown together in 15 minutes after hastily writing the review in a previous 10 minutes (Don't forget a bunch of expletives, because that obviously makes a point more valid) and doing the voice-over in one take on a crappy analog $6 mic from Staples. Maybe it's the compression, maybe it's the quality reduction in order to make the whole thing 'streamable', but it sounds like it was done by sitting at a kitchen table and talking into the mic built into your netbook. I suppose this second point is more aesthetic then anything else, but it really bugs me. Maybe that's me.

Thirdly, and finally, it seems I have the same problem with this movie reviewer as I do with nearly every reviewer around: Everything has to be an epic masterpiece, or it's balls. Granted that Star Trek was given a 'in the middle' sort of 'grade', but with the hate on the new X-men Origins flick and Transformers, it just strikes me as nerd rage rather then serious review. Apparently you can't just have a fun action movie anymore, it has to be super well acted with no artistic license from the source material whatsoever. Anyone remember the first Die Hard? Poorly acted, campy action, and silly one-liners. But you know what? It's awesome. It's awesome because it's a fun action movie. But as soon as it's a brand, it's shit if it's hits that same style. Yes it's important to have at least decent acting and story and the like, but it seems like lately it has to be Oscar worthy and exactly like the source material in order for people to just shuttup and enjoy a movie these days.
But maybe that's just me.

Anyways, pardon the long post. I'll try watching some of the older ones to see if it's just this one that bugs me.
that really summed up what i was thinking.

spot on.

P.S. "Movie"Bob, trying to imitate Ben Croshaw is reaaaaaaally lame.

kir4

May 1, 2008
DalekJaas said:
That review sucked. Your taste in movies is terrible. Transformers wasnt that bad, at least it was entertaining, which is what a movie is meant to be. What the hell do you expect? Also you have an annoying, grating voice I'm sorry to say. Stop trying to be Yahtzee.
Dude, don't be a jerk, give constructive criticism, not "you suck go die"

OT: I liked it, I thought it was interesting to see a legitimate attack on the writers lol

Captain_Caveman

Mar 21, 2009
I saw an early screening of this last night at 7. I agree w/ basically everything in this review. I went in thinkin this was a 95% movie and it ended up a 60% movie which felt like a 40% movie because i was expecting a 95% movie. Screw you rotten tomatoes!

kavinsky

Feb 11, 2009
He's on the money with transformers, I hated it and I stole the rifftrax version and even that was barely watchabile, I guess I'll see how much he's on the money with star trek and if he is theres always the sequel, after all tmp sucked ass as well, and then TWOK fixed everything.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Thats a fair score, 6/10

I have never seen a full episode of the original Star Trek, too young and not that much time to find out when it comes on at 2 in the morning on Spike in between paid programming.

I JUST got home from seeing it looking forward to listening to Moviebob's review of it. I did notice the thing about the bridge, it is a little to clean, crisp, and white. I got annoyed by the parts with the kids, not the Spock one that was cool, cause Spock rocks is an understatement, but the voices of little kid Kirk hurt my mind.

I would have given it a 8, but i got into love with the action scenes, not the car chase, that was dumb, even the situational irony of the cliff was bad.

But i liked all of the scenes with kid Spock, speaking of which there must have been ALOT of green screen use in those, kind of funny the few times it happened seeing one Spock then his green screen partner look-alikes.

Nice review though, Also i didn't much care for the scene with the undressing so cliche now.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Slycne said:
If this was any other generic action space movie I think I would agree with you, but Star Trek carries quite a depth to it. So I think it's a fair assessment to expect more of it.
But that's my point! As soon as it has a brand, then it better be epic or it'll be decried. It's higher rated then any previous Star Trek film, according to Meta Critic, but it gets a '6' for what? X-Men Origins slaughtered at the box office, and so did Transformers...but they are bad because...? They aren't like the show? The cartoon? The comic book?
Where has the simple enjoyment gone?
I agree with you there. Less nerd rage, more enjoying the movie for what it is (even if it does shoves stakes into the source material). It isn't art, it's entertainment, and that's what I want when I go into theatres.

I think a trope applies to this: It's Different, Now it Sucks.