The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 101: Showdown

sigma83

Oct 26, 2009
Aptspire said:
I really like the Colossi's design :D
also, large amount of Colossi+ Mid amount of Immortals+ Mid amount of Zealot seems pretty good, but then again you need to be strategic with them :)
That setup would get absolutely destroyed by any kind of air force. I'm not actually sure how to defend against air as protoss yet. Stalkers don't quite cut it. Maybe psi storm?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
oneplus999 said:
If anyone out there is craving more good starcraft 2 replays, I would strongly recommend the Day9 Dailies. This guy really knows what he's talking about, he's fun to listen to, and he is good friends with a lot of really high level sc, wc3, and now sc2 players.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=104154

But yeah, watching a bunch of guys who don't really know what they're doing is pretty fun too :D you guys still had some decent strategy, like the tank drop, even if micro was definitely lacking from some players.
I have to admit from my personal stand point I liked this better than the "professional" matches that are put up. reason being is that while I like RTS games a lot I am admittedly not good at them. Even the players here are noticeably better than me. So watching the real hardcore games is more confusing than entertaining to me.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
seriously, can you guys do this once or twice a month? It would be nice to see lots of starcraft gameplay footage on the site. I'll watch every single one, several times perhaps.

I loved the color commentary too

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Here's an idea, why don't we have a round robin tournament between these 4, much like the SF4 one that was done last year. best 2 of 3 matches, either random map or the same map every time.

then all of us forumers can vote on who we think will win, and there would be badges and what not. And maybe edited together re-cap videos of the matches as well.

Dose anybody else want this? I think it'd be awesome.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Thank you guys so much for posting something like this... It totally made my day! Was an interesting match, and the commentary made it even better! If there are any more plans to do something like this, I'll be a watching!

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Huh. Is there no FOW on multiplayer, or is that an option?

On any case, this was quite entertaining to watch. You guys are better than I am. T_T

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Scrythe said:
Huh. Is there no FOW on multiplayer, or is that an option?
You can see the fog of war there. It's everywhere that there are no units.

They're watching a replay of the game from the Everyone viewpoint, meaning they can see everything that anyone who was involved in the game could see, all at the same time. You can switch camera views to only see individual players' perspectives in the replay, but it's easier to get the full picture when you can see what everyone's doing at once.

When you're actually playing the game you only have access to the sight range of your units (and those of your allies if you're in a team game).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
focus fire! need more focus fire but yeah that game seem quite comical with the commentary XD

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Funk should have said that he was drunk, unless of course the other happen to read the escapist.
But how likely is that?

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
You guys actually aren't that bad at the game! Most so-called bad players simply do nothing but turtle up and mass up. You guys actually attacked early on (and throughout), co-ordinated with a teammate, expanded, etc. In a game like SC you need to be offensive since resources are finite and all.

Here's a tip: Early on you guys used Reapers. Reapers can kill workers in 3 attacks, so 3 Reapers can one-shot-kill workers pretty darn quickly. Don't use them simply to make workers run away - use them to target workers and kill them off! If you manage to kill 4 workers, you've already got your investment's worth in the Reapers, and this isn't including other killed units or economy lost due to workers running away.
Thanks to their jetpack, you can simply move them away from threats. If it's slow Zealots, you can even do the little "kiting" micro trick (move back, attack from range, and repeat to deal damage while avoiding damage to your own units).

At ~7:00 Banshee attack. Use the Banshees to take out the workers first, then target the expansion. You'll deal a lot more damage that way by hurting his/her economy, and the opponent won't be able to repair the damaged buildings. Also, if there's no detectors, keep on attacking with those cloaked Banshees! No need to run away if he/she can't counter it!

Don't forget that Vikings can also transform into Ground Mode to take on ground units.

Anyways, glad you guys had fun. I certainly had a lot of trouble with the original Starcraft when I was a kid. I'm currently enjoying Silver League in the Starcraft 2 beta and almost always play as Random, though I definitely need a better computer if I plan on getting better (I'm surprised this one can even play SC2).

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I'd love to be able to play this game, alas my laptop is not up to snuff.

I'll make do with these videos... tantalising as they are.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
John Funk said:
I'd like to note that as the video guy who put this together, Justin got to pick the matchup. That's all.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! That was awesome. I can't wait until this game is out of Beta.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
YurdleTheTurtle said:
co-ordinated with a teammate
I think Funk and Deam didn't co-ordinate very well, that's one reason why they lost. (It's sad though, cause Funk and Deam are 2 of my favorite columnists on this site.. better luck next time Funkdeam)

water_cat1

Mar 30, 2010
*stares at the replay of the lasers doing terrible, terrible damage* *dribble*

Man do I want this game :( i play starcraft 1 and that's only against friends on LAN, for some reason my legitimate starcarft does not work online. But you guys are much better than me. But it is good to see lesser 'professional' players do terrible terrible damage.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
oneplus999 said:
If anyone out there is craving more good starcraft 2 replays, I would strongly recommend the Day9 Dailies. This guy really knows what he's talking about, he's fun to listen to, and he is good friends with a lot of really high level sc, wc3, and now sc2 players.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=104154
Currently my two favorite casters are HDStarcraft and HuskyStarcraft (youtube channels).
I'd had no prior Starcraft experience, but these two have done a very good job of explaining the units and player choices in an understandable way. They're also very enthusiastic about Starcraft, sometimes hilariously so when they get excited and start yelling about some especially good micro or nukes coming down.

Here's a dual-cast they did on an epic matchup.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

If that doesn't give you a new appreciation of Starcraft 2, I don't know what will.
I think Starcraft 2 stands a pretty good chance of becoming a new "eSport."