The Escapist Presents: Third Annual The Escapist Film Festival - updated 12/11/09

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
UPDATE: When loading your video, you have not submitted correctly until you see this message: "Thank you! Your video has been submitted! Once the site staff have approved your video, it will appear in our video gallery."

This may take a bit of time to upload but please be patient.

Thanks!
Spinwhiz

d100Productions

Nov 4, 2009
Well... I've got an idea. Though what I can do is limited to a crappy $250.00 camera, a laptop, and a knowledge of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (minus how to do special effects)... Not exactly the capability to make the best content. BUT I'll give it a go with the knowledge that IF it's got the potential, I can amp it up with some guidance and guarantee of work.

But let me get this straight. I use the name "Big Angry Nerd" for my reviews, and I kind of wanted to use the character for the planned project. If I used him in the video, would I never be able to use him in my independent reviews if The Escapist decided such? Winner or not?

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Big Angry Nerd said:
Well... I've got an idea. Though what I can do is limited to a crappy $250.00 camera, a laptop, and a knowledge of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (minus how to do special effects)... Not exactly the capability to make the best content. BUT I'll give it a go with the knowledge that IF it's got the potential, I can amp it up with some guidance and guarantee of work.

But let me get this straight. I use the name "Big Angry Nerd" for my reviews, and I kind of wanted to use the character for the planned project. If I used him in the video, would I never be able to use him in my independent reviews if The Escapist decided such? Winner or not?
That would be correct. Use a different name for your submission and video if you want to keep "Big Angry Nerd".

d100Productions

Nov 4, 2009
Ah. Many thanks Spin. I guess I'll just use my name then and keep BAN on the side. Maybe I should adjust the name of the series too... Once again. Many thanks.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Big Angry Nerd said:

That would be correct. Use a different name for your submission and video if you want to keep "Big Angry Nerd".
Wait, so the screen name you submit it under is copyrighted then too? What do you mean by "use a different name?"

d100Productions

Nov 4, 2009
I think so... It's like James Rolfe and his Angry Video Game Nerd character, GameTrailers probably has the rights to the name. So if James ever did something else or lost his contract with them, he couldn't use the AVGN name unless GT let him. So he'd have to use a different handle.

I like the name Big Angry Nerd (makes a great acronym too), and I wouldn't want to to get locked up. Especially with no guarantee that I would even get to make more vids. So I think I'll just use my real name. Though I'm just speculating on all of this Maniac.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
Big Angry Nerd said:
I think so... It's like James Rolfe and his Angry Video Game Nerd character, GameTrailers probably has the rights to the name. So if James ever did something else or lost his contract with them, he couldn't use the AVGN name unless GT let him. So he'd have to use a different handle.

I like the name Big Angry Nerd (makes a great acronym too), and I wouldn't want to to get locked up. Especially with no guarantee that I would even get to make more vids. So I think I'll just use my real name. Though I'm just speculating on all of this Maniac.
Man this is seeming less and less like a good idea the more I hear the details.

Nukes4president

Aug 26, 2009
So you can't have a website about the series, even if there are no videos of it on that website, just information about characters and such? And even if we don't win, we can't use the names we used in the video again?

d100Productions

Nov 4, 2009
Nukes4president said:
So you can't have a website about the series, even if there are no videos of it on that website, just information about characters and such? And even if we don't win, we can't use the names we used in the video again?
Don't know to be honest. I suppose it's all ultimately up to The Escapist. I have a pretty fair feeling that if your not the winner, they'll probably let you and your IP go. I say just go for it.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
ManiacRaccoon said:
Big Angry Nerd said:

Man this is seeming less and less like a good idea the more I hear the details.
Nukes4president said:
Anything submitted to The Escapist Film Festival becomes property of The Escapist. So, if you want to make sure a name or idea remains yours, then don't submit it. But please understand, if we like your idea, we are going to want YOU to keep creating it, not us. We'll help YOU make it awesome but YOU will be working on it and we'll put a signed contract together with all of the terms and conditions.

It would not benefit us in any way to take peoples' ideas for ourselves and keep the original creator out of the mix. Not to mention, even if you don't win the contract, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be featured on The Escapist in the future. It doesn't mean you will but it could happen.

d100Productions

Nov 4, 2009
Agreed. This is a very, very, very nice offer from The Escapist and one that you probably wont see often in the internet.

apalm

Apr 19, 2009
Me and some friends brewed an idea for some time, wrote the script, and we've shot most of the film. However, I'm in the editing process and was wondering what the rules on using other's audio-only content was. The film falls under a general parody of many things on the internet and some of the audio is used for less than 10 seconds. Also, none of the pieces have lyrics. Would these pieces be o.k. to include in the film? And on that note, what about music/clips that are more than 10 seconds? Have lyrics? Have video?

Ramthundar

Jan 19, 2009
Okay, just finished the script for my Video, looks good to me but I just want to double-check to see what is/isn't okay.

Is it okay if my video has:

1. 2 swear words?
2. References too some "arrogant/sue happy celebrities", such as Kanya West and Jack Thompson?
3. Is not about Gaming 100 percent, but is about an icon of Nerd/Gaming culture?
4. Doesn't have a Opening/Closing credits or music because of time restraints?

I know these may seem like dumb questions, but I just want to Double-Check to make sure I don't get kicked out of the contest for something I could easily change.

Thank you for any reply!

{Note: If there's another thread to post questions/help on, can someone please direct me towards it? Thank you.}

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I actually have a pretty major question involving the whole "copyright infringement" thing...
As you've probably seen from me on many an occasion, I draw my own special characters, called Kerricks. The project I wish to submit for the festival involves them, but since their overall look bears a passing resemblance to Jigglypuff or Kirby, I'm afraid that that would break the infringement rule and leave me disqualified...is there any way I could know before submitting whether or not I'm in the clear?

thisisnotexit5

Nov 13, 2009
I think I've got a pretty sweet idea for a show. However, the basis isn't video games, but it's something pretty widely known in geek culture. Is that o.k.?

weirdoproductions

May 19, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
Anything submitted to The Escapist Film Festival becomes property of The Escapist. So, if you want to make sure a name or idea remains yours, then don't submit it. But please understand, if we like your idea, we are going to want YOU to keep creating it, not us. We'll help YOU make it awesome but YOU will be working on it and we'll put a signed contract together with all of the terms and conditions.

It would not benefit us in any way to take peoples' ideas for ourselves and keep the original creator out of the mix. Not to mention, even if you don't win the contract, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be featured on The Escapist in the future. It doesn't mean you will but it could happen.
i see :\ say if i submit an episode 1 to something i want to make, but the escapist do not sign it, would it be possible in anyway to regain rights to that so i can continue to make the series outside of the escapist?

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
weirdoproductions said:
Spinwhiz said:

i see :\ say if i submit an episode 1 to something i want to make, but the escapist do not sign it, would it be possible in anyway to regain rights to that so i can continue to make the series outside of the escapist?
As the rules state, no. Once the idea has been submitted, it's part of The Escapist but I highly doubt we will use it if it doesn't win. That doesn't mean you can't change the name of the video, the premise and the character's names and call it your own. That why we ask for 1 5 minute video. If that screws up your whole idea and you can't work around it, come up with a different idea.

This is the third year for the Film Festival and we haven't even looked at past entries for any type of idea. If we did, we'd contact you to help us out with it.

thisisnotexit5

Nov 13, 2009
Is there a file size limit. Currently the size for my video is over a gigabyte, as it has a lot of effects, coloring, and is at full quality.

Nukes4president

Aug 26, 2009
What if there are four people working on the video, how would that work with the contract? Everybody must sign it, I suppose, but does everybody get paid differently or does one get paid and we have to split it (I'm such a goddamned kapitalist :p)?