The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Russ

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
RogueDarkJedi said:
slipknot4 said:
RogueDarkJedi said:
Sorry I didn't edit my really long last post to include more really long replies. I'm sure it would probably stretch the page if I did.

slipknot4 said:
There is nothing modern about running around with two full sized 120 year old shotguns whom fire 12 gauge shots in each hand. And what's more disappointing is the fact that it's the best weapon in the game. Not the aa12, not the Kriss .45 but the Model 1887.
I remember seeing an episode of Mythbusters where they confirmed that the older weapons were more deadly because their projectiles ricochet inside your body or something weird like that.

I have a feeling the only reason why they are in the game is because of Terminator 1.
Didn't they say something about the fact that you would for sure break your arm or shoulder if you fired one in the wrong way, with two hands.
There is no way in hell you could fire two of them at the same time.
Looked it up, I couldn't find anything that says that the Models had to be fired an exact way. And it would make sense logically, I mean it was used A TON in old western films. I would hope that it would be somewhat safe for an actor to carry around without getting shot.

As for carrying two, no, there is no way you could manage both at the same time.
Well, the thing is, every shotgun needs to be fired with the butstock against the shoulder unless you want it to kick back at it.
If the calibre is high enough, it'll break.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Stop being so cool with the un-embarrassed segways!

Yeah, a good list. And I concur with mmmfiber. Spelunky and Mount and Blade for instance.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Russ

The Escapist?s Editor-in-Chief, Russ Pitts, shares his favorite games of 2009.

Read Full Article
No one picked Assassin's Creed II - this is disturbing!

Also, Russ, what's the dealio with the lame new ads on the site? Apparently I need my teeth whitened, I can be buff in under four weeks, I'm regularly the millionth visitor and I'm required to participate in some optical illusion.

I expected a lot more from this site - is this really where it's going? Will I be given details for penis enlargement next? I understand you're a business and you need to pay for this place, but this is getting a little close to places like 4chan.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Batman wasn't all that great, is all :D
Must... Not... Scream...

OT: I'm not sure I can even do a list of 5 for '09 - I don't think I bought that many games from this year!

AC2, Arkham Asylum, The Saboteur and Mirror's Edge (PC) were about it.

Bring on 2010 is all I can say.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
ben---neb said:
1) I would probably love MW2 but Activision but the price up so to protest i refused to buy it.

2) I would hate to play Godfather 2, Wolfenstien

3) I might like Batman but I'm never going to buy it

4) I am undecided about DRagon Age: Origins. It's either really good or sucks balls. I think like Oblivion it might grow more and more rubbish as time goes by.

5) And I do agree with Russ when he says that it was a terrible year for gaming. It really was.
1) Same.

2) Same.

3) Doesn't really make sense - I can highly recommend it however.

4) The game wasn't even released that long ago. Oblivion doesn't get worse, you just eventually reach a point where you've seen all there is to see.

5) Aye, t'was.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Hey, the reason know-it-all jackasses like me complain about games like Halo and Madden isn't because they're popular, it's because they're inexplicably popular. If you release the same game every year it shouldn't be a massive hit every year.

I haven't played MW2 yet, (nor Halo, but I can competently pretend to have) but I doubt I'll have to act smug about it. The worst thing I've heard about it is that it still has the accursed endlessly spawning enemy waves from its predecessors, and those are more confusing than bad.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Yes, simply put just yes.
I was a bit bamboozled at first by the Godfather2 mention, but it was explained well, and I agree. While my only first-hand gameplay experience with Gangsta/Mafia games has been Saints Row 2 I've noticed with some help from The Escapist (Fall of the House of Bellic by Brendan Main if I'm not mistaken.) that the story lines stop half way through story.
And as has been metioned above I like the how The Escapist does "faves" instead of "best" it's an opinion nothing more, nothing less.
(My first New Years with The Escapist, Sweet.)

MartyB

Jan 4, 2010
The thing if I could afford to buy a game, any new game, that is released and does not cost 1/5 of the console then I would say some of the games are crap but I have to admit that all games are good in one way or another and worth playing.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Coincidentally, I recently watched The Godfather and The Godfather part 2, they were actually excellent. Still, I can't believe

He had Fredo shot in the end, I know he was only keeping him alive for their mother's sake, and that he had betrayed michael, but seriously, he'd repented and he was his only real brother left!

supersixfour

Jul 16, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I have now been convinced to get Wolfenstein when its below 20 USD.
lol key words when it gets below 20. though i don't agree with the whole list you bring up a great point about MW2

Splitfire3

Dec 20, 2008
woa, just realised how mainstream I am, after agreeing totally with russ about these games.. no nintendo or PS games here, for sure.-
I think this is the best and in my opinion most correct top 5's of them all^^