The Escapist User's Guide to Posting Commands and How to do Fancy Code Stuff

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
[HEADING=1]User's Guide to Posting Commands and how to do fancy code stuff[/HEADING]​

Probably everything you need to know to have the best posting experience in the Escapist forums.

[hr][HEADING=2][color]Basic Text Alterations[/color][/HEADING][hr]Bold
Code:
[b]Bold[/b[color]][/color]
Italics
Code:
[i]Italics[/i[color]][/color]
Underlined
Code:
[u]Underlined[/u[color]][/color]
Strike
Code:
[s]Strike[/s[color]][/color]
Code:
Code
Code:
[color][[/color]code[color]][/color]Code[color][[/color]/code[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Text Size Alterations[/color][/HEADING][hr][HEADING=1]Biggest[/HEADING]
Code:
[HEADING=1]Biggest[/h1[color]][/color]
[HEADING=2]Bigger[/HEADING]
Code:
[HEADING=2]Bigger[/h2[color]][/color]
[HEADING=3]Big[/HEADING]
Code:
[HEADING=3]Big[/h3[color]][/color]
Normal [small]Small[/small]
Code:
Normal [small]Small[/small[color]][/color]
Normal [sup]sup[/sup]
Code:
Normal [sup]sup[/sup[color]][/color]
Normal [sub]sub[/sub]
Code:
Normal [sub]sub[/sub[color]][/color]
The "sup" and "sub" commands can be stacked and the text will be made even smaller. [sup][sup]This is 2 "sup" commands[/sup][/sup] [sub][sub][sub]This is 3 "sub" commands[/sub][/sub][/sub][hr][HEADING=2][color]Colours![/color][/HEADING][hr]Leaf
Code:
[color=green[color]][/color]Leaf[/color[color]][/color]
Fire
Code:
[color=red[color]][/color]Fire[/color[color]][/color]
etc.
-bright red
-blue
-teal
-yellow
-bright green
-bright gray
-brown
-red
-dark green
-purple
-maroon
-chartreus
-chartreuse
-AliceBlue <--
-Indigo
-Snow <--
-Ivory <--
-Lavender
-Silver
-Gray
-Thistle
-Tomato
-DarkBlue
-DarkRed
-IndianRed
-FireBrick
-YellowGreen
-Green
-ForestGreen
-Tan
-Orange
-DarkOrange
-Gold
-SlateGray
-SlateBlue
-Aqua
-Aquamarine
-SkyBlue
-DeepSkyBlue
-Turquoise
-DeepPink
-Magenta
-Pink
-Hotpink
-DarkSeaGreen
-SeaGreen
-DodgerBlue
-DimGray
-GoldenRod
-DarkGoldenRod
-Orchid
-DarkOrchid
-Violet
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Clicks and Links[/color][/HEADING][hr][link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/[/link]
Code:
[link[color]][/color]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/[/link]
The Escapist's homepage
Code:
[URL=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/[color]][/color]The Escapist's homepage[/URL]
[user]Aerosteam[/user]
Code:
[user[color]][/color]Aerosteam[/user]
Encase you don't know... [footnote]This is a footnote.[/footnote]
Code:
Encase you don't know... [footnote]This is a footnote.[/footnote[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Countdown Timers[/color][/HEADING][hr]The timer does not work in the preview.

[timer=04/17/2019 00:00 AM GMT]
Code:
[color][[/color]timer=04/17/2019 00:00 AM GMT[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Tables[/color][/HEADING][hr][table border="1" cellpadding="1"]
[tr]
[td]The Gamer Matrix:[/td]
[td]Don't get excited[/td]
[td]Get excited[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Game is good[/td]
[td]Pleasantly surprised[/td]
[td]All is well[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Game is arse[/td]
[td]Smug self satisfaction[/td]
[td]Suicide[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Code:
[table border="1" cellpadding="1"[color]][/color]
[tr[color]][/color]
	[td]The Gamer Matrix:[/td[color]][/color]
	[td]Don't get excited[/td[color]][/color]
	[td]Get excited[/td[color]][/color]
[/tr[color]][/color]
[tr[color]][/color]
	[td]Game is good[/td[color]][/color]
	[td]Pleasantly surprised[/td[color]][/color]
	[td]All is well[/td[color]][/color]
[/tr[color]][/color]
[tr[color]][/color]
	[td]Game is arse[/td[color]][/color]
	[td]Smug self satisfaction[/td[color]][/color]
	[td]Suicide[/td[color]][/color]
[/tr[color]][/color]
[/table[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Lists[/color][/HEADING][hr][li]Renegade is red[/li]
[li]Paragon is blue[/li]
[li]Assuming control[/li]
[li]This hurts you[/li]

Code:
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]Renegade is red[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]Paragon is blue[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]Assuming control[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]This hurts you[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[ol][li]You[/li]
[li]Can[/li]
[li]Have[/li]
[li]Numbers[/li][/ol]

Code:
[color][[/color]ol[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]You[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]Can[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]Have[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]li[color]][/color]Numbers[color][[/color]/li[color]][/color]
[color][[/color]/ol[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Quotes and Spoilers[/color][/HEADING][hr]
A quote is just a box
Code:
[quote]A quote is just a box[/quote[color]][/color]
Title here said:
A quote is just a box
Code:
[quote=Title here]A quote is just a box[/quote[color]][/color]
Use this to stop spoiling people.
Code:
[spoiler]Use this to stop spoiling people.[/spoiler[color]][/color]
Use this to stop spoiling people.
Code:
[spoiler=Title here. Also click here.]Use this to stop spoiling people.[/spoiler[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Image Inserting and Resizing[/color][/HEADING][hr]The original image has the size of 238 x 238. The numbers in the code (amount of pixels) can be changed to anything - making the image as wide, thin, flat or tall as you want

Code:
[img[color]][/color]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]

Code:
[img height=300[color]][/color]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]

Code:
[img height=150 width=238[color]][/color]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]

Code:
[img height=238 width=150[color]][/color]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/36/132Ditto.png[/img]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]YouTube Embedding[/color][/HEADING][hr]This video's url is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsWFFuYZYI

Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]4qsWFFuYZYI[color[/MEDIA]][/color]

Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]4qsWFFuYZYI start=68 end=95[color[/MEDIA]][/color]
The numbers equal to the seconds which have passed. If you want to only have one custom beginning or ending simply remove the start=# to make the start normal or remove the end=# to make the ending normal.

Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]4qsWFFuYZYI height=400 width=600[color[/MEDIA]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Other Embedding[/color][/HEADING][hr]Tweets don't appear like this in the preview.[tweet t=http://twitter.com/cursedimages/status/786597197970231296]

Code:
[tweet t=http://twitter.com/cursedimages/status/786597197970231296[color]][/color]
[bandcamp=EmbeddedPlayer/album=2935352187]

Code:
[bandcamp=EmbeddedPlayer/album=2935352187[color]][/color]
[soundcloud=181860992]

Code:
[soundcloud=181860992[color]][/color]
[vine=OrD3uMlwThE]

Code:
[vine=OrD3uMlwThE[color]][/color]
[kickstarter=talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam]

Code:
[kickstarter=talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam[color]][/color]
List of more you can use:

Code:
[vimeo=]
[MEDIA=dailymotion][/MEDIA]
[bliptv=]
[yahoo=]
[twitch=[color=black]][/color]
In-house Escapist videos:

Code:
[color][[/color]video=[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Magic: The Gathering Cards[/color][/HEADING][hr]You can hover your cursor over the text to see the card. Can't do this in the preview.

[mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf]
Code:
[color][[/color]mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]Repositioning[/color][/HEADING][hr]
Left
Code:
[left[color]][/color]Left[/left[color]][/color]

Right
Code:
[right[color]][/color]Right[/right[color]][/color]

Center
Code:
[center[color]][/color]Center[/center[color]][/color]
[hr][HEADING=2][color]And lastly...[/color][/HEADING][hr]You can put these thin lines easily by putting in
Code:
[hr[color]][/color]

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I'm not sure who's in charge, but we really should have a noparse tag add to these boards. All the unnecessary color tags to break the other tags so they're visible makes me sad.
Aerosteam said:
Code:
Code
Code:
[color][[/color]code[color]][/color]Code[color][[/color]/code[color]][/color]
And, what does "Code [http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode#code]" do exactly?
-AliceBlue <--
-Indigo
-Snow <--
-Ivory <--
It might be useful to write their names next to the colors in black, since they're difficult to see against a white(ish) back round.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I forgot, there's also the MtG card tag; [color][[/color]mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf] = [mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf]

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Good job :) The one thing I'd point out is that it should be "in case" not "encase."

[small]Sorry, I wouldn't normally point out spelling errors, but seeing as this is meant to be a guide and you wanted it to look good...[/small]

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Top job buddy. Pass go and collect £200

Really easy to follow and well laid out. Ive been here for years and youve even jogged my memory of a few things id forgotten.

This needs to be stickied *bookmarked in the mean time*

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Aerosteam said:
because this probably won't get stickied.
Why not?

The way I see it, this thread is a lot more useful than some of the other stickied threads they've got here.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Good list, the only thing I'd add is the function to autoplay YouTube videos

For example:
Uy8t4a6EaK8&autoplay=1[/code]]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Nice guide, I have to say this one is more complete and nicer-looking than any of the ones currently linked in the stickied threads, I hope a replacement is in order. Here's a few more obscure pieces of code you might like to add:

For example, how to embed videos from sites other than YouTube:

[ dailymotion=]
[ vimeo=]
[ bliptv=]
[ twitch=]
[ yahoo=]
[ soundcloud=]
[ vine=]

And in-house Escapist videos are embedded with:

[ video=]

And also a countdown timer:

[timer=03/31/2020 9:29 AM UTC]

Which is coded as:

(timer=03/31/2020 9:29 AM UTC)

but with square brackets instead as round ones. Got to make sure you follow the right format or it breaks. It can look pretty nice in combination with other tags, for example:

[HEADING=2][timer=03/31/2020 9:29 AM UTC][/HEADING]​

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Hazy992 said:
Actually, I'd rather that not be added, because it's fucking annoying and I'd rather people didn't do it.

(I've been telling the Tech Team for ages to disable that nonsense, but they never have.)

I think it can have its uses. Maybe a good compromise would be that it only works in spoiler boxes or something?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Going into the thread: Ready to contribute magic skills.

In the thread: Well fuck me that's everything you could ever want.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
A couple more additions, here's a simple table:

[table border="2" cellpadding="1"]
[tr]
[td]Users[/td]
[td]JoJo[/td]
[td]Aerosteam[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Number of posts[/td]
[td]10503[/td]
[td]2744[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Join Date[/td]
[td]31 March 2010[/td]
[td]22 September 2011[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Just quote me to see how it's done, it's a little complicated to explain. Basically, [ td ][ /td ] for each entry, a [ tr ][ /tr ] for whenever you want to start a new row and [ table ][ /table ] to enclose the whole thing. There may be a way to make lines between the entries, I haven't found that yet.

There's also a way to see Magic the Gathering cards if you hover your mouse over the below code, such as follows:

[mtg_card=Chandra Ablaze]

Using this code, without the space obviously:

[ mtg_card=Chandra Ablaze]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
SirBryghtside said:
[timer=May 18, 2014 1:00]

Woah...cool!

OT: Thanks for the thread, this is great stuff!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Hazy992 said:
TopazFusion said:
Hazy992 said:
Actually, I'd rather that not be added, because it's fucking annoying and I'd rather people didn't do it.

(I've been telling the Tech Team for ages to disable that nonsense, but they never have.)

I think it can have its uses. Maybe a good compromise would be that it only works in spoiler boxes or something?
Oh... I guess that.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Saulkar said:
Oh come on! What is the worst that can happen if you let the good natured netizens of the Escapist autoplay youtube videos outside of a spoiler box?
Which is funny because there are autoplay advertising videos on this page right now, and they're not inside spoiler boxes.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
There's an [li] tag as well which adds bullet points, like this:

[LI]Words[/LI]

[LI]More words[/LI]
Note how you have to add a new tag for every line.
This actually comes from standard HTML, where you can also use the ol and ul tags to specify whether they should be numbered or bullet points.

[ol]
[li]Here's[/li]
[li]an[/li]
[li]example.[/li]
[/ol]

[ul]
[li]And[/li]
[li]bullet[/li]
[li]points[/li]
[ul]
[li]You can even nest lists![/li]
[ol]
[li]You can also have numbered lists nested in bullet points...[/li]
[ul]
[li]...and vice versa![/li]
[/ul]
[/ol]
[li]Isn't HTML fun?[/li]
[/ul]
[li]But that's getting off-topic.[/li]
[/ul]

There are a couple of these markup threads about already with some cool tricks. I'll post them here if I manage to dig up any cool ones. In the meantime, here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.198114-Escapist-User-Guide-to-Posting-Commands?page=2#6472099] is a complete list of all possible colours. I think most of these work.

Hazy992 said:

It's okay when in spoilers, but while it is recommended to do so not everyone posts videos in spoilers.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
IceForce said:
Saulkar said:
Oh come on! What is the worst that can happen if you let the good natured netizens of the Escapist autoplay youtube videos outside of a spoiler box?
Which is funny because there are autoplay advertising videos on this page right now, and they're not inside spoiler boxes.
Those things piss me off so much. I have not had them in a while but somehow they are always louder than anything else, from youtube to VLC.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Saulkar said:
A man after my own heart! :)

TopazFusion said:
...And if it's in spoilers, like we get told all embedded videos are supposed to be - in the CoC that people don't seem to read? I use auto-play sometimes because otherwise, you see the title and a freeze-frame from the video, which can spoil a certain part. I don't use it when, to my knowledge, the spoilered video starts off being very loud. This is an example of judicious use:

Do you see, Topaz? Do you see?

[HEADING=2]DO YOU SEE?[/HEADING]​

...Human judgement must be exercised. By the way, do you want people to flag posts that have lots of large, unspoilered images in them or lots of unspoilered videos in them, or mention them in the Mod team chat?...Because I don't recall anyone mentioning what to do in that situation either and I'd rather ask now to avoid realizing, several months from now, that I've apparently been doing it wrong for several months.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Saulkar said:
IceForce said:
Saulkar said:
Those things piss me off so much. I have not had them in a while but somehow they are always louder than anything else, from youtube to VLC.
If they auto-play with sound, screenshot them, report them in the Tech Team chat and they'll try and get the advertising branch to replace them with something less obnoxious. People in the Pub Club and on the staff won't see them unless they log out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Tech-Team

...That also applies to ads that expand to cover a large part of the screen when you mouse over them.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Barbas said:
Saulkar said:
IceForce said:
Saulkar said:
If they auto-play with sound, screenshot them, report them in the Tech Team chat and they'll try and get the advertising branch to replace them with something less obnoxious. People in the Pub Club and on the staff won't see them unless they log out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Tech-Team

...That also applies to ads that expand to cover a large part of the screen when you mouse over them.
DOH! One would think I would know that by now, but I do not, but now I do, that should mean something, I guess.

It is only a matter of time before I exercise my right as an Escapist netizen to bring the hammer down on [del]adverts[/del] obnoxious website worms. BWAHAHAHAHA!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
So okay, where is the OP? They haven't seemed to have taken any of the suggestions on board, (including a rather glaring spelling error).