The Escapist Wants to Celebrate the Holidays With You!

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
AdmiralMemo said:
And now, it says 4 on the sidebar, but no 4 on the calendar.
it will probably come up in a few hours since when we mass posted 3 wasn't working it wasn't supposed to be up yet..

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Yep, all the links I've clicked, just get covered back up after I have clicked on them.

It's a great idea guys, just still a few things left to iron out.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Worked out a few kinks with this. Thanks to everyone for your patience and love.

Most importantly, the boxes should "switch on" automatically at roughly the same time each day from now on. So, big apologies to folks who came repeatedly looking for Box 3 and didn't find it. That shouldn't be an issue going forward.
To avoid people posting here each day asking why the day changes when the new button isn't up, could you please tell us here at what time (roughly) the boxes are meant to switch on each day? Thanks :).

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
The icons are updated based on new content updates to the site. Those tend to come in on given days, rather than on given hours. Usually we try to get most of the primary content on a given day up between 11am and 1pm EST. News articles come in a random times (obviously), and some primary content can come in much earlier than normal, and some comes later.

So, to answer your questions, we aim to get each new icon up as early as possible, but to avoid situations where you show up, and there's no update and you're wasting your time, I would check for updates to the calendar after 1pm EST. This is to give the best chance of you logging in and seeing a fresh update to the calendar.

Of course, if you show up early, you can spend a couple hours reading the site while you wait :D

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
1pm EST, that's around 6pm UK time, isn't it? Or have I got that terribly wrong...? And thanks for posting that, that's a great help :D.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Understanding your Advent Calendar

<spoiler=Example Image>

This is what you are seeing in the example above:
Day 1: Earlier content, you've already opened the box
Day 2: Earlier content, you've not opened the box
Day 3: Earlier content, you've not opened the box
Day 4: It's day 4, and you've seen it (If you haven't, it will look like 2 & 3, except with the number 4)

Recap:
Anything you haven't seen will have a 'lit' box. Anything you have seen will be unlit, and if it's today's box, the 'doors' will be open to show the item below it.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
paulgruberman said:
-Big Snipper-
Indeed it does. Thank you very much for the clarification. I wasn't sure what the lit box looked like.

Apr 28, 2008
Hey, I clicked on "4" earlier today, and went to an article.

But now when I open the calender, the 4 isn't there, is this supposed to happen?

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
That does clear things up, buuuuuut, today is the first day that has actually happened the first four days did not do that when I looked at them! :-(

CrimsonTemplar

Apr 20, 2009
Every day, except the 6th, has lit up for me. No matter how many times I click on the link for the 6th it doesn't light up. :(

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
CrimsonTemplar said:
Every day, except the 6th, has lit up for me. No matter how many times I click on the link for the 6th it doesn't light up. :(
Lit up boxes[footnote]See post for explanation[/footnote] are ones you haven't seen.

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
am i the only one that 9 isnt working for?
the light wont go out no matter how many times i click it

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
The 9th button is in the right place, but it isn't showing that it has been clicked. It's still a lit box for me.