The Escapist's General Manager and Adam Baldwin support GG, attack the entire political left

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Houseman said:
GamerGate's enemy is not Social Justice Warriors. Gamergate's enemy is corrupt devs and journalists. Anybody who gets in their way of this goal may end up being collateral damage, or revealed to be part of the enemy.
Because using terms like "collateral damage" and "part of the enemy" when discussing corruption in a fucking entertainment industry totally doesn't make your position sound crazy.

And no, I don't care what bloody side you're on. Whether you're Social Justice, or GamerGate or the fucking Brotherhood of Nod, once you start acting as though harassing anyone who disagrees with you, you are immediately everything fucking wrong with your position.
KokujinTensai said:
Since we're playing the extreme game then yes I would prefer to align myself with "Racists, bigots, and Birthers" than "Racists, bigots, and those claiming to fight for inequality" As I black male I'm #notyourshield
Well, I mean you've been "playing the extreme game" from the bloody start if you apparently think every supporter of Social Justice is a bigot. I mean, some of us just want to see diversity in games and the internet to stop harassing everyone, but I guess that stems from our endless and irrational hatred of the majority even if we're part of it. Totally reasonable. Not inane at all.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
firebobm173 said:
Are we reading the same interview? Something tells me you saw other people talk about the interview somewhere else and are now just parroting their opinions.

While Adam Baldwin is kind of far right, especially with that nuts tweet, he seemed fairly sane in the interview. As for what collegs in the US are doing, I read some articles about 're-education' policies and 'sensitivity training', so he might be on the mark about that. Although, I'm not in the US, so who knows, I might be wrong.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Person A said some really stupid shit and person B has this one thing in common with person A, therefore Person A is a complete piece of shit. Solid logic.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
So GG is about journalistic integrity, so we interview somebody who had absolutely nothing to do with the gaming community until he saw GamerGate as an opportunity for political grandstanding? Sounds like a journalistic fail, as I don't really see the relevance. The Escapist just published continuation piece regarding actual developers in the gaming industry and their opinions on GG. That is relevant and worthy of discussion. Adam Baldwin using GG as an opportunity to get more twitter followers isn't. This is like interviewing Joss Whedon as an important figure in gaming because he made one tweet expressing sympathy towards Anita Sarkeesian. All Baldwin did was seemingly start a hashtag.
You mean start the hashtag. He was the one started the goddamn thing how is he not relevant.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
firebobm173 said:
Are we reading the same interview? Something tells me you saw other people talk about the interview somewhere else and are now just parroting their opinions.

While Adam Baldwin is kind of far right, especially with that nuts tweet, he seemed fairly sane in the interview. As for what collegs in the US are doing, I read some articles about 're-education' policies and 'sensitivity training', so he might be on the mark about that. Although, I'm not in the US, so who knows, I might be wrong.
People go to college and become "Liberals" when they gain knowledge and meet diverse groups of people, then realize that what their parents and church told them were lies. Colleges indoctrinating people is just another silly conspiracy theory.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
AkaDad said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
firebobm173 said:

People go to college and become "Liberals" when they gain knowledge and meet diverse groups of people, then realize that what their parents and church told them were lies. Colleges indoctrinating people is just another silly conspiracy theory.
As a conservative who went to collage and has friends who went with me from as far left and right as you can get, I call bull. Despite the stereotypes, it's not collage that tends to determine which what your political leanings are.

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
Laser Priest said:
[Well, I mean you've been "playing the extreme game" from the bloody start if you apparently think every supporter of Social Justice is a bigot. I mean, some of us just want to see diversity in games and the internet to stop harassing everyone, but I guess that stems from our endless and irrational hatred of the majority even if we're part of it. Totally reasonable. Not inane at all.
Then make a game with a "diverse" cast, don't attempt to co-opt the vision of others that don't conform to your ridiculous, narrow views on what constitutes diversity. Seriously, I don't ever discuss race, class, or gender issues unless I'm pushing back against the clueless, smothering idiots that incapable of treating people as individuals and not collectives. I find the ideological under-pinnings of "social justice" to be antithetical to the very concept of individual experiences, reducing people to nothing more numbers, body parts and skin tones.

It disgusts me.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
KokujinTensai said:
Honestly at this point I'd much rather align myself with the "Crazy Right wing lunatics" than whatever perverted political philosophy the "Anti-GG's" believe in.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
You don't see anything wrong with this statement? I don't think you should ever throw in with nutjobs regardless of how bad you perceive the other side to be; it just weakens your position in the eyes of rational people and makes you look crazy by association.

OP: I think Adam Baldwin is too nuts to give a platform to, and the fact that Macris even interviewed him over this lessens my opinion of him. It would've been one thing if he was interviewing him over something else and and it just happened to come up, but gamergate is clearly the main topic from the get-go. I just don't see how anyone can take Adam Baldwin's stance on anything seriously when he posts shit like this every day:

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
You want to know a funny thing? I went into the gamergate thread and talked about true diversity and trashed talked bioware for offensive depictions of race in their games. That true diversity is when the video game industry stops being run entirely by white people who never met a minority or spoke spanish before. How you can tell between a token character and a true character.
Huh, I feel kind of bad now; I ended up like James and Steve a lot, I thought they were fun dudes but true to your criticism I've never met a Hispanic man before. They just came across as cool blokes.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
AkaDad said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
firebobm173 said:

That's not the part I'm getting at. I know that knowledge and critical thinking in general will drive people away from the religious right, there's no denying that. I'm talking about certain colleges with mandatory privacy invading surveys, ones that ask how many sexual partners you've had etc, and mandatory sensitivity training classes, as I've mentioned in my prior post. I've tried looking for them again, but I can't relocate them, although that's on me I guess.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
Zontar said:
AkaDad said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
firebobm173 said:

As a conservative who went to collage and has friends who went with me from as far left and right as you can get, I call bull. Despite the stereotypes, it's not collage that tends to determine which what your political leanings are.
I know and have heard many people who grew up in conservative households tell me that's what happened to them. I'm not saying all people. The main point was that colleges aren't indoctrinating people. That's a stupid conspiracy theory.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Lilani said:
Oh, dearie me oh my. Most days when I peek in on the off-topic forums they are full of wonderfully positive topics and insight. Other days...they look like this...

OT: I don't agree with anything Baldwin has to say, and I think he's nuts, but he has every right to say it. It does rather illustrate just how much of this issue is heavily politicized though. There are times it only seems to be tangentially about gaming.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
MarsAtlas said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
You mean start the hashtag. He was the one started the goddamn thing how is he not relevant.
So the person who made the first lolcat is an expert on internet memes?
No because lolcats aren't a movement.
Right, a movement with no organization or defined goals which everyone adheres to. If all it takes is to send any tweet with that hashtag, then its not a movement, which is pretty evident based on the fact that GG means different things to different people. We have a thread on this very forum where GGers and antiGGers are asked to give their reasoning, and guess what? Not everybody who is GG said the same thing. Adam Baldwin certainly doesn't, as if he were so worried about political bias tainting journalism, he'd avoid Fox News Channel and other agenda-driven news outlets who align on the right of the spectrum. He doesn't do that, however.
So you're saying not everyone in a movement agrees on all the principals of what it is about. Well fuck me, it's almost like they're individuals. And can you really say that the vast majority of people who are part of GG aren't concerned in some way about integrity in games journalism? Well you could but you'd be wrong. As for a hashtag becoming a movement, it only becomes a movement when a fuckton of people take up the mantle. Which is what has happened.

As for Adam Baldwin, my impression of him is that he is indeed a far right winger, and I could talk all about how I think that's nuts, but I prefer to look at the message rather than it's source.

Theodora

Oct 6, 2014
Zontar said:
Social Justice is about creating equality and ending bigotry?

That's a joke, right? Right? I've never, in my life, seen any group as openly bigoted, racist or sexist as they are. The only ones I can think of which are more so are either secretive ones which do noting in public or groups which don't even exist anymore.

I stopped reading your comment after that, it's pure ideology with no rationality, and you can't really argue against that due to its nature.

Edit: something to also remember: it's the message that matters, not the messenger. Actually, now that I think about it, shouldn't this be part of the GamerGate megathread?
If Social Justice Warriors were intended to emancipate and liberate people and end the scourge of bigotry and oppression then I'd say their ability to achieve this goal has long since been fatally compromised.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
As for Adam Baldwin, my impression of him is that he is indeed a far right winger, and I could talk all about how I think that's nuts, but I prefer to look at the message rather than it's source.
Then you're ignoring a pretty crucial part of the opinion forming process, which is that questionable sources tend to render questionable opinions. If a crazy person takes up your cause then you need to distance yourself from them, regardless of whether or not you think they're right about this one thing. Chances are good the crazy person could be sharing your opinion for very different reasons than you.