The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It doesn't help that it isn't very good. It has some great ideas but the execution is terrible and the script was incredibly weak.
Which says something since it’s Charlie’s Angels - hardly a high bar of quality or expectations to be met.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'll be honest I legit thought that movie hadn't come out yet or was quietly canceled. Apparently it came out 2 years ago quieter than a church mouse, bombed, and the studio was quick to dismiss it as a flawed vanity project and and just moved on with the public none the wiser.
There was a bit of talk, IIRC, mostly about how awful it was. At first I suspected it was because the film is female led, but after watching it, well, that might be part of it, but it's pretty dire as well.

I want to like Charlie's Angels, in theory it's got some good things going for it. It just really didn't work at all.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
There was a bit of talk, IIRC, mostly about how awful it was. At first I suspected it was because the film is female led, but after watching it, well, that might be part of it, but it's pretty dire as well.

I want to like Charlie's Angels, in theory it's got some good things going for it. It just really didn't work at all.
I vaguely remember the original movies with Drew Barrymore, Lucy Lu and Cameron Diaz being at least likable. I was a kid back then and 3 hot women in tight pants punched other hot women in tight pants, so thumbs up. No idea if the wider Hollywood audiences agreed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm really hoping they don't take it down a racial/police brutality route. I know they're important issues but I'm really tired of seeing our real world shittiness in media.
From Wikipedia:

[Series creator] Spellman was hired in October, and chose to focus on the racial issues raised by Wilson being handed Captain America's shield at the end of Endgame.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
From Wikipedia:
As SilentPony said, we've already seen some of that in the first episode. There's no way Marvel wouldn't touch on that, especially during these times. I'm talking specifically about US Agent. I don't think "All American Racist" or "Lets Use Brute Force to Disperse Protesters" is a particularly interesting take on the character. They could easily create friction between him and Sam without making him just a generic asshole racist.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It was a good episode. Sad that the action still isn't particularly great, but hopefully they're saving time and money for better sequences down the road. Sam and Bucky are great pair, and while the comedy can feel a little much at times, they're fun to watch.

Thankfully US Agent isn't some one dimensional asshole. Guy seems like he just wants to do his job well. Which is being an American soldier, which I guess does make him an anti-hero. I did have to laugh when they brought out his black wife and sidekick, just to hammer in the point that he's not racist. I'm not so sure I like how the tension between him and the two is being created, because honestly Sam and Bucky kinda feel petty.

The Flag Smashers are a little cringe worthy. Granted, they haven't shown how exactly they've come to the conclusion that life during the Blip was better.

There was another scene where they touched on some racial issues, and I think they did it well.

Isaiah Bradley was a cool reveal. Interesting that the US kept working on the super soldier program and even had some successes. Makes you wonder why Banner was bothering with his experiments. I hope we get to see more of him, and more about cold war shenanigans.

Zemo is coming as well, so should be nice to see him be all schemey. Power broker is a big player in this show apparently. Hopefully we'll see some interesting powers.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Calling it now, just from the two episodes and the teasers they show, both Sam and Bucky adopt the mantle of Captain America. Just seems obvious when they show them training together, both using the shield, Sam saying "we look good" and "we need to get to work" it just seems like they're setting it up they'll share the mantle because Steven was a singular being and no one person can or should try to fill his shoes, so they share it and really learn to fight together.

Also in regards to the big 3, cyborgs, aliens and wizards, of those only 2 have ever threatened the planet enough for the Avengers to get involved, and of Sam, Bucky, Battlestar and the new Captain America only Bucky and Sam have ever fought any of those, and even then it was just aliens in Infinity War and Endgame.
Its kinda weird that off all the enemies Sam and Bucky have fought, rogue agents and super soldiers are by far the most. It'd be like if Jon Snow was like yeah the Big 3 enemies in Winterfell are...Aliens, Cyborgs and Wizards, and you're like Jon you've fought one of those, once, years ago.

Also also I loved how this episode handled race. Like yeah, there was a second Captain America, a second successful super soldier turned hero, he was just black and in the 1950s, so he was never allowed to be known. And Bucky knew the entire time and kept it a secret from everyone, including Steve. And when Sam learns about it, man is he ready to deck Bucky.
And then the cops think Sam is harassing Bucky, 'cause he's the angry black man next to the white guy. I like that these episodes are hammering than even post snap, America is still racist and treats Sam and even Isaiah as just more black dudes for the grinder.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Another good episode, but I'm still constantly disappointed by the action sequences. It's crazy that Sharon had better shot and choreographed fight scenes than Bucky and Sam.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
This latest episode honestly felt a tad low rent. The cinematography felt like something you'd see in a cable TV series versus the production money Disney threw at Mandalorian and Wandavision. There's a really awkward moment in the city where they pan over whats so supposed to look like a tough crowd with guns, but they look like a bunch of cheaply dressed extras that just got handed guns. The explosion's are more clearly CGI effects. I felt like less care was put into this one. They've also taken a real hard 180 on Zemo. Instead of being haunted by the lost of his country and his family he's...zany now? ooook. Idk. Was not a fan of this episode. Just my two cents.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So apparently in an attempt to catch up to the insane Snyder fans, insane MCU fans have been sending Wyatt Russell death threats. Dude had to leave Instagram. Shame on these no life losers, Jesus Christ.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So apparently in an attempt to catch up to the insane Snyder fans, insane MCU fans have been sending Wyatt Russell death threats. Dude had to leave Instagram. Shame on these no life losers, Jesus Christ.
Especially dumb since he's obviously there to set up Falcon as Captain America.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This latest episode honestly felt a tad low rent. The cinematography felt like something you'd see in a cable TV series versus the production money Disney threw at Mandalorian and Wandavision. There's a really awkward moment in the city where they pan over whats so supposed to look like a tough crowd with guns, but they look like a bunch of cheaply dressed extras that just got handed guns. The explosion's are more clearly CGI effects. I felt like less care was put into this one. They've also taken a real hard 180 on Zemo. Instead of being haunted by the lost of his country and his family he's...zany now? ooook. Idk. Was not a fan of this episode. Just my two cents.
Considering Zemo was the leader of a death squad - by my recollection anyway - prior to Age of Ultron, I always felt his motivation as a wronged family man rang very hollow. Plus he’s had what, seven or so years in jail in isolation it seems. Maybe this is actually who he is.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Especially dumb since he's obviously there to set up Falcon as Captain America.
Exactly. Hating an actor for playing a villain might have been understandable in the early 20th century, when motion pictures must have seemed like magic, but being this detached from reality in the modern day is crazy to me.

Reactions: Hawki

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Exactly. Hating an actor for playing a villain might have been understandable in the early 20th century, when motion pictures must have seemed like magic, but being this detached from reality in the modern day is crazy to me.
This reminds me of Malcolm McDowell getting death threats for his role in Star Trek: Generations (his character kills Kirk). I half expected something similar to happen to Adam Driver after Force Awakens.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
This reminds me of Malcolm McDowell getting death threats for his role in Star Trek: Generations (his character kills Kirk). I half expected something similar to happen to Adam Driver after Force Awakens.
But you have to remember Kylo Ren was a dark, brooding hearth-throb character with a heart of gold. He's the guy all the girls knew they could fix if he just gave them a chance.
Dr. Soran was just kinda' a jerk, and never took his shirt off, and didn't have smokey eyeliner.

Reactions: Hawki

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
But you have to remember Kylo Ren was a dark, brooding hearth-throb character with a heart of gold. He's the guy all the girls knew they could fix if he just gave them a chance.
Dr. Soran was just kinda' a jerk, and never took his shirt off, and didn't have smokey eyeliner.
Also, Rey was already doing a marvelous job as fanboy hate lightning rod.

Reactions: Casual Shinji