The Fallout Debate

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Indecipherable said:
I absolutely loved Fallout 3, but the differences between older Fallouts and the newer are quite vast. The story of Fallout 3 and the linearity is probably going to make a lot of people pretty upset if they were expecting something open with broad sweeping consequences. None of that is in Fallout 3.

Probaby my favourite thing of Fallout 3 is just exploring, to travel around and uncover what has happened all over the lands. The story itself is rather meh.
I would have to agree. The story was F3's weakest point, in that it was not only too short but not as dynamic as the first two.

Still, nothing beats wandering around the Wasteland and finding a new place you've never seen before... I'm still finding new stuff after 300+ hours.

richasr

Dec 13, 2007
Fallout 3 is a completely different game to the original two, it's a bit obtuse of people to compare them and expect a "this is better because" result. Sure they share the same name and theme and Bethesda tried to do well by the originals, but they are poles apart.

Personally, I enjoy all 3 games, I discovered Fallout 3 first then promptly bought the first two and loved all of it. I think Fallout: New Vegas will lean a lot more towards the first games, and I'm actually hoping it will be Fallout 1/2 in a Fallout 3 environment.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
I've never played Fallout 1 or 2, however Fallout 3 is one of my all time favourite games.

Maybe it was a wise move for them to create the game in this way so it appeals to more casual gamers such as myself?

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Mozza444 said:
I've never played Fallout 1 or 2, however Fallout 3 is one of my all time favourite games.

Maybe it was a wise move for them to create the game in this way so it appeals to more casual gamers such as myself?
It was a wise move by them to shift more units.

I agree with the OP. I do not hate fallout 3, it is one of the best games out with some quality download content. However as a sequal to the first two it's not great. It certainly is easier than 1 and 2. Anyone who hasnt played the first 2, you know not the true horror of a deathclaw.

Xodion

Apr 8, 2008
Nimzar said:
I first played the original fallout a few years before Fallout 3 came out. I loved it.

I played Fallout 3. I also liked it.

You have hit the nail on the 'ead though. Fallout 3 is a great game... just not in the same way that Fallout 1 and 2 are great.
This sums up my experience of the Fallout games too, playing both the original and F3 in a short time makes it obvious that they are different games that happen to share a setting.

The first is very harsh and unforgiving, which is very appropriate for a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but it makes the game frustrating at times. F3 is easier on the player, but then this makes the game too easy at later levels, and you feel invulnerable when you can VATS anything you find to death before it can hit you.

The other main difference is the freedom and story-telling. F3 has the freedom to wander across the entire map, while the original was much more limited in where you could actually explore (unless you liked small squares of bland desert). But its dark humour was fantastic, and as atmospheric as F3's plot is, the original had a much better set of side-quests and moral dilemmas. Choosing between a blatantly good path and a clearly evil one isn't a moral dilemma, it's just a "do you feel like being a dick today" choice. Choosing to help one group of people over another when neither is good or evil is a much more interesting decision to make, and you learn a lot more about your opinions when you have to do so...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I played fallout and I think Fallout 3 is a much better game and I think I agree, mostly..

Humour: I thought Fallout 3 was much more "funny" than Fallout.

Claustrophobic Atmosphere: I agree the "feel" of the games is very diffrent, its prehaps too easy to use all skills in Fallout 3. That makes the game more open than any use of perspective.

Its still very Fallout and I like the way they made the Brotherhood Heros yet included the Outcasts, best of both worlds. I'm a bit annoyed at people who say the fallout 3 Brotherhood are not really the Brotherhood.

Its a Fallout game to the core, but you are right, its more suited to a cannon aside rather than a direct sequel, not being decended from the Vault Dweller most likely counts in favor of that.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
It's not because it's a bad game. It's a great game. My favorite game.

It's just a very bad sequel.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. I love FO3, I have bought all the DLC and played it to completion, but it just lost so much in the transition from FO2 - 3 that it seems like it isn't truly a fallout game. I just hope new vegas will bring back the RPG complexity and multiple ways to solve quests that was present in the first two.

jtr477

Feb 24, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
jtr477 said:
Also, i believe that this was great for Bethesda as a game developer. I think it really helped broaden their horizons and show that they can adapt and tweak a game system, and put it to a extremely good other use.

It certainly made me hope bethesda are going to make more non-fantasy styled games in the future.
Me too, but not until they make TESV... I can't think of any other game I'm looking forward to more than that right now.
Kudo's on that. I just hope that they're going to include more then one province this time, allthough i heard rumors about skyrim or elsweyr.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I purchased fallout 1 and 2 after how much I enjoyed number 3 (Still have yet to finish it...NO SPOILING!) and due to my tastes I couldn't really get into them.

Though I agree, they feel (Aside from gameplay) very different.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
No opinion is wrong, I agree with every point you make.

But I also like all three games, because they're different. If I want a game like Fallout 1 an 2, I play them.

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
I like all 3, I just prefer Fallout 2, its just more my kind of game, every action can make or break your character.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
jtr477 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
jtr477 said:
Also, i believe that this was great for Bethesda as a game developer. I think it really helped broaden their horizons and show that they can adapt and tweak a game system, and put it to a extremely good other use.

It certainly made me hope bethesda are going to make more non-fantasy styled games in the future.
Me too, but not until they make TESV... I can't think of any other game I'm looking forward to more than that right now.
Kudo's on that. I just hope that they're going to include more then one province this time, allthough i heard rumors about skyrim or elsweyr.
I just hope they fix the levelling and combat.

Skyrim would be cool. I like Nords!

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I personally found the interface of the 1st 2 to have a hard learning curve to say the least. Fallout 3 was an execellent game but i can see why some people would hate it.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
I found Fallout 3 to be dodgey and dull. One thing that really annoyed me about it was that you could just fast travel everywhere. There should of at least been a car like in Fallout 2.

I found the originals to be far more desolate and intriguing, though remember; while you judge the originals, they only have so much ability in the way of technology. Bethesda couldn't even make a great vanilla game though if it came up and slapped them in the face.

CoffeeScamp

Sep 22, 2009
I loved Fallout 1 and 2, and also loved Fallout 3, at first.
The beginning of Fallout 3 had all the atmosphere and story I expected, and the initial exploration was amazing.
However, further into the game I found it became a little too easy in places, with repetitive bandit encounters starting to become more annoying than threatening, as well as ending up with more loot than I could carry. I guess this is the sacrifice for being so open-world; if you're meant to be able to explore anywhere then you need to be able to deal with what's there.

Still, I'll be picking up the DLC while it's on offer this week :)

SimSquid92

Mar 27, 2009
I've played Fallout 3, right through to all the DLC and for me it was a game like nothing I 've experienced before. Now reading the comments on people who have played the originals, I feel like I'm missing out on something. I realise that it too would be a completely different experience, but thats what I liked abot f3, it was something different. Now hearing thta Fallout 1 and 2 are tough and challenging games, I'm definitly keeping an eye out for them.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
One thing I really wish Fallout 3 had:

The low intelligence dialogue options. So fucking funny...

Gotta hate those nefarious bugmen :D

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:

Yeah, Fallout 3 has one nod towards that, but nothing else.

Also, power armour is meant to be POWER ARMOUR, not tin plate held together with chewing gum.
Thank god for mods- My Fallout 3 plays a lot harder. A couple of good hits with a rifle kills a raider. And the player. And most other things. Except dudes in power armour. You'll need a gauss rifle and a good sneak skill to get close to one-shotting them.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sebenko said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Yeah, Fallout 3 has one nod towards that, but nothing else.

Also, power armour is meant to be POWER ARMOUR, not tin plate held together with chewing gum.
Thank god for mods- My Fallout 3 plays a lot harder. A couple of good hits with a rifle kills a raider. And the player. And most other things. Except dudes in power armour. You'll need a gauss rifle and a good sneak skill to get close to one-shotting them.
Yeah, the power armour was weak as shit, I always stick to my Ranger Battle Armour.

I hate that the power armour makes you lose Agility... why Nerf the most iconic costume in the game??

EDIT:

Where was the nod, by the way?