The Fallout Debate

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
I was going to write a long post about my views on this, but I gave up; It'd be several pages of TL;DR. Let me just say: I have played all Fallout games released, I own all of them, and I consider Fallout 3 to be the best overall.

He_Is_Legend

Mar 18, 2010
I like the way HardlyMotivated puts it. He says it is a good game, but not a good Fallout-game. This is the truth. The worst thing about Fallout 3, is that it seems to be turned/turning into a pretty cheerleader at a school. Fallout 1 and 2 were kinda like the not so popular kid that once you got to know him appeared to be really cool and fun and awesome. What I mean by this is that Bethesda has made some great games before (The Elder Scrolls-series), but I do not think this game (Fallout) is intended for their style. They are turning an awesome cult series into a over-hyped fallucy.

The thing I liked about the old Fallout-games, is that they are notoriously hard, and the combination of excellent black humour and parodies are great. I like the fact that it is so rich in choices and that you can actually use your female character as a prostitute to get your way. Bethesda had a big job to do, and I was very happy to learn that it was suppose to be "Oblivion with guns". I got really dissapointed. The game is way too easy, and a level 1-2 character can easily do things that never could be touched in the prequels. A good example are these low intelligence-dialogues; funny.

When you create a character, you always end up with the same face. I struggled for an half hour to try and make myself, but I always ends up looking like the default face; and this is true for females aswell; any combination turns out the same, I feel.

I was hoping the game would be stuffed full of guns and armour, but the selection is rather weak, but that was just my expectations after playing "Fallout:Tactics" while waiting for Fallout 3 to be released. And where have the natives gone? There are no tribesmen and their funny conversatinos about technology.

I hope the NEW GAME is better.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I'm looking forward to playing this. I've got the Fallout Collection marked as one of my next buys. It's either that or Final Fantasy XIII.
I've only played Fallout 3, and I really enjoyed it, but having even only seen snippets from the earlier titles, I can tell that they are very different games.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
I don' know. Fallout 3 is different because it was made by different developers and it's grim and generally humorless because the world has been reduced to a radioactive hellhole! As for Fallout 3 being easy that's a good thing, remember Fallout 1 and 2 were very unforgiving. Even with power armor a single critical hit from an assault rifle would leave you in pieces. Fallout 3 may have been too easy but at least it wasn't an unforgiving asshole of a game.

I've played Fallout 1, 2 and 3 so I know what I'm talking about. As for Fallout 1 and 2 being claustophobic all I can say is, what? The game was massive! If your talking about the battles and shootouts that took place inside those not claustrophobic you got a top down view of the action and if you were smart you hid behind tables, walls and boxes. Calling Fallout 1 and 2 claustrophobic is just stupid, Fallout 3 had parts of levels that could be considered claustophobic but only a few parts to favor melee fighter enemies.

One thing you nailed spot on though was the level up system. Fallout 3 allowed you to be a jack of all trades while in contrast Fallout 1 and 2 had you pick away at the skills you had choosen early on in character creation.

I love anything that has to do with Fallout and I see where your coming from, the differences are mainly because of different genres and different developers. Fallout 1, 2 and arguably Tatics were top down turn based RPG shooters. Fallout 3 is an RPG/FPS.

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
Fallout 3 is a great game, but a bad Fallout game. That's all I see to it. Doesn't subtract from how fun Fallout 3 is however.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
Everyone keeps saying "it's just not a Fallout game", what exactly MAKES a "true" Fallout game? Asking since I've only played F3 (but I loved it)

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
Hallow said:
Everyone keeps saying "it's just not a Fallout game", what exactly MAKES a "true" Fallout game? Asking since I've only played F3 (but I loved it)
Snappy writing, atmosphere, grim humour, difficulty, and freedom to do whatever you want is my guess. Fallout 3 has all of these, just not to the degree the earlier games had. For me, it only nailed atmosphere completely.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
CheckD3 said:
However, to hear that Fallout fans were upset makes me wonder if they even came into consideration, and if anyone is thought about when they make the Fallout games. New Vegas seems to start you off after being left for dead and starting you off in a village rather than a vault, which from I've heard of the Fallout games, is a large step in a new direction. I for one will be getting New Vegas to rent when it comes out and might buy it if I get a good paycheck one time and find it a price of $30 or less, and I MIGHT even get the DLC this time, too poor for F3 this time.
Fallout 2 actually begins in a village, you don't find vaults until later in the game.

And I reccommend getting the Broken Steel DLC, as it adds a new ending to F3, raises the level cap and lets you play on after the final events.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
What I really liked about the originals was the clever writing, a part which was severely lacking in Fallout 3. I enjoyed 3, but I tended to avoid conversation and just go and explore, which was the best part of the game.

Another thing that irritated me was the recycled story elements from other Fallout games
The plot revolved around water (Fallout 1), finding a GECK(Fallout 2), the villain, eden, was an A.I.(the Calculator from Tactics) and the Enclave wanted to kill all Mutants with the FEV(Fallout 2)
as well as the the changes from the Bos from a xenophobic paramilitary organisation to selfless knights. They made all Supermutants dumb and homocidal and other continuity issues I won't bother to mention here.

I say a lot of bad things about it, but I also really enjoyed it, just not as a Fallout sequel.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Blatherscythe said:
I've played Fallout 1, 2 and 3 so I know what I'm talking about. As for Fallout 1 and 2 being claustophobic all I can say is, what? The game was massive! If your talking about the battles and shootouts that took place inside those not claustrophobic you got a top down view of the action and if you were smart you hid behind tables, walls and boxes. Calling Fallout 1 and 2 claustrophobic is just stupid, Fallout 3 had parts of levels that could be considered claustophobic but only a few parts to favor melee fighter enemies.
Perhaps claustrophobic was a bad choice of words... maybe 'oppressive' would be a better word. What I meant was that in the early games there's the constant fear of the next sudden death or total screw up, making the player eternally uneasy.

Yes, the game was huge but it was all segregated into small, closed in areas, as opposed to the massive expanse that new tech allowed Bethesda to build..

No need to use words like 'stupid' though mate. I don't think that's the issue here.

And yeah, I preferred the easy nature of F3 too because to me it was more fun.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
OptimusHagrid said:
...huh. That actually sounds pretty cool. I gave up on the games when I got stuck behind that horrid combat system, but maybe I should give them another try.
Just throw the settings onto easy and the combat to wimpy.

It's still bastard hard but you should be able to get through it.

Use a walkthrough if you have to, it's worth it to see the story.

(and yeah I hated the turn based combat too)

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
the main story, in review, was indeed bland. But the sub stories and well written quests, and the scaling up to the main story were interesting.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
hardlymotivated said:
(

I don't have time to go into more detail at the moment, but there were quite a few other things in the game that I thought didn't make much sense when I was playing, so I might jot them down later. (Presence of super mutants, FEV as a convenient plot device, return of the Enclave, a very black-and-white moral choice system, etc.)
FEV was in Fallout 2 as well. In fact, it was the central reason for the final mission in the game.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
If you want to use a walkthrough, use this one by Per Jorner.
http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout2.html
it's the best Fallout Guide period.

He also made one for Fallout 1
http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout.html

jubosu

Aug 9, 2009
I played the two originals and loved them when I was younger but since then and after I put several thousand hours into Oblivion and Morrowind that was what I wanted from a Bethesda game and I loved the new Fallout better than its predecessors

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
I prefer Fallout 3. I love that game. I have the others, but I honestly just can't get into them no matter how hard I try.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
FEV was in Fallout 2 as well. In fact, it was the central reason for the final mission in the game.
Yes, but it doesn't make any sense that it was in DC. The only places where you could find FEV where in the mariposa military base and on the oil rig, which got blown up along with the Enclave leaders.
Actually, having the Enclave as a villain doesn't really make sense either, since the only other base they had was Navarro, which was just a refuel station for Vertibirds. If you get the NCR ending in which it becomes a military dictatorship, it is mentioned that the soldiers in Navarro joined the NCR since they had nowhere else to go. This also implies that they wouldn't have the resources to become as big as in Fallout 3 or be an independant organisation for that matter.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the mariposa base also got blown up in Fallout1.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Hargrimm said:
MiracleOfSound said:
If you want to use a walkthrough, use this one by Per Jorner.
http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout2.html
it's the best Fallout Guide period.

He also made one for Fallout 1
http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout.html
I found that one really helpful in picking perks and skills. Very good walkthrough.

It's amazing how many useless skills and perks the first two games have, it's so easy to accidentally gimp your character.

It also helped me out when I got completely stuck right at the very end of the game (when you have to blow up a certain thing).