The Fantastic Four Reboot is Doomed

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The non-armoured Doom is why I didn't like the Fantastic Four movies they did a while back. First (Sony) made Rhino from a mutant to a mech pilot, now (Fox) is turning a mech (power armour can fall in to this category) in to a mutant (again). Do they have a problem sticking to the source material?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Sillarra said:
If they are not using anything but the name, can Marvel just say that they are not really using the IP at all and take it back? I certainly hope so. Or maybe they are already planning to do this and are just waiting for the movie to come out so they can have a more definite claim.
I hate to judge anything so early on. But if all the things we have heard so far come to pass, I'm going to bet Marvel has a case for... I dunno... defamation of brand? Is that a thing? If not, it should be.

But I'm biased of course. I'd do anything for Marvel to have DOOM back in their stable for Avengers 4 or 5.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Oh my god are you kidding me this is amazing
Don't CG over it! DON'T
This'll go from a movie I would never watch anyway to my most anticipated film of the year.
That thing is shittier than what I could do with silver paint and duct tape!
The Halloween Superstore Slutty Doctor Doom costume would be more convincing!
Oh my god I hope that's real I'm crying laughing

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
...that looks HIDEOUS. Jesus, what is that made of, paper mache? I honestly do not believe that's actually what they're using. Calling it now, that picture's a hoax made by some prankster.
The doom from the last F4 looked better than that. It looks like a really bad cosplay a guy made on the bus ride to the convention. Are those gardening gloves? I am starting to think this film is being made on a paper thin budget just so the studio can keep the rights. They did that before...

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
Good lord could you get anymore clickbaity? I might stop coming to this site altogether if these clickbaits don't bloody stop.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Gordon_4 said:

I'm suddenly more changeable to the version from the original film now.
That looks stupid ( I particularly dislike what they did with the eyes and the mouth) but it looks like it's metal and some effort went into making it. THIS suit, however, is just the costume a childade for their dad for Halloween.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
I hope its either a hoax, a picture of something relevant to the story or something they intend to cgi over in post.

If not, we've already found the first thing the original did better than the reboot and that's just sad. The bar had been set so low and yet they still trip and fall face first on the ground. I wonder if Marvel can sue for misuse of IP?

ricree

Mar 8, 2014
Avalanche91 said:
I hope its either a hoax, a picture of something relevant to the story or something they intend to cgi over in post.
Unless it's fake, that costume is almost certainly designed around what works best for the effects department, rather than what actually looks good. Especially since that scene is being shot pretty much 100% green screen.

In theory, they probably do have a better looking version that's used for practical shots. But since everything else about this film sounds like a train wreck, maybe they are going 100% cgi.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Seeing how that looks like an entirely green screen scene with a hopefully cgi enhanced Dr Doom, why do they even have an actor since his body is cg and his face is a mask.

Not totally serious but still.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Aren't they giving all the Fantastic Four members different physical disabilities? (Unless I misread something somewhere. >_>)

Maybe the movie is going the Katawa Shoujo route and Dr Doom is the burn victim character...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
It does look terrible, very skinny and nonthreatening. It is a proper costume with no cgi being put over it - seriously why put cgi armour on him when you can just make it. Also as well as that The Thing stunt guy in the above photo and there also one with someone looking like Johnny Storm (glowy blob in top right of photo) in a flying rig flying towards Doom.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I actually really like Doctor Dooms costume from the other FF movies, despite not really enjoying the movies themselves.

Also, I spy human torch up in the air!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Mromson said:
Good lord could you get anymore clickbaity? I might stop coming to this site altogether if these clickbaits don't bloody stop.
Believe it or not, they used to be worse...was a time when the clickbait was much more common...they cleaned up their act a lot, but seem to be backsliding, unfortunately.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Are you sure that's Doctor Doom and not Grey Bin-Bag Man? A hobo struck by cosmic rays whilst rifling through a dumpster, he gains the properties of a bin bag such as tearing easily on sharp objects and having a slight static charge so he sticks to things a bit. Look out Fantastic Four!

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
It looks like someone dipped him in a vat of liquid latex.

Racecarlock said:
Unless one of your lines is "I am groot", that outfit doesn't work.
Based on this design, I think having Doom's lines consisting entirely of, "I am DOOM!" might be the best direction for the film.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Sillarra said:
If they are not using anything but the name, can Marvel just say that they are not really using the IP at all and take it back? I certainly hope so. Or maybe they are already planning to do this and are just waiting for the movie to come out so they can have a more definite claim.
I hate to judge anything so early on. But if all the things we have heard so far come to pass, I'm going to bet Marvel has a case for... I dunno... defamation of brand? Is that a thing? If not, it should be.
It is not, although there is a similar precedent they could use. Marvel/Disney could go to the writers guild to try to wrestle the rights of the characters back, if they feel Fox is hurting their brand; but it is such a hassle that likely neither of them want that. From what I know, it has to be quite a departure of the original IP for the WGA to intervene, and most licencing contracts have clauses to protect each party of those cases...