The Fantastic Four Reboot is Doomed

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok so it look like I got something nice say about the first Fantastic Four movie. Now if they mess up The Thing apperance then I got another nices thing to say too.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Remember, kids: if Sony stops making Fantastic Four movies, the rights revert to Marvel. If the movie bombs, they'll stop making Fantastic Four movies. If you pay Sony to see this movie, it's your fault that we can't have good Fantastic Four movies.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
...That sucks. That really, REALLY sucks. I mean, I didn't think the first two Fantastic Four movies were any great work of cinema, but at least they got the look of the characters basically correct, even everyone's favorite ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing. I never thought I would have to take that as a premium. Marvel has really spoiled us in terms of true-to-the-comics costumes.

This reboot is going to blow chunks.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
That costume looks like CRAP! FFS Edward Norton as King Baldwin from Kingdom of Heaven looked more like Dr. Doom than that. What is that a Sleestak waering a cape? If they have to resort to CGI to make a Dr. Doom costume...lame.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Mromson said:
Good lord could you get anymore clickbaity? I might stop coming to this site altogether if these clickbaits don't bloody stop.
I found the title rather accurate as an assessment of the movies chances actually. FF movies have always been bad, and this one is shaping up to be no better.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Atary77 said:
oldtaku said:
They'd better be intending to CG over that in post.
This is my first thought to these photos. That they plan on adding some sort of CGI effects to his costume. But will the CGI be subtle? Or will it be as overblown as Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern?
Oh no, that shot is going into the final film unedited. In order to save money they decided that 90% of the plot would take place while the characters were standing in a Hollywood greenscreen room. - it saves massively on buying and arranging a set.

The full title of the new movie is going to be "The Fantastic Four Visit Universal Studios"

(Also to save money the actor of the Thing is going to be standing just off camera shouting his lines from the side, while the director holds a Thing action doll up to the camera lens to make it look lifesize, occasionally shaking it around when the Thing gets angry.)

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Vivi22 said:
oldtaku said:
They'd better be intending to CG over that in post.
I'm not sure why people are assuming that's the actual costume when they're almost certainly going to CGI over it. Everyone remember all that kryptonian armour in Man of Steel? All CGI. Why weigh down an actor with an actual suit of armour if restricting his movement isn't necessary?
Actually I think Doom is most definitely NOT going to have major CGI on him.

Look at this before and after image from Pirates of The Carribean:

Notice how everyone getting CGI has to wear those funky white dots? The dots allow the animators to keep everything consistent, they are a basic requirement for CGI.

Now look at the second screenshot in this article:

Notice how the person facing Doom has the funky dots on him, because he is going to be CGIed. Heck, even the green background is covered in reference dots, but Doom doesn't have a single dot on him.

Now it will probably be that Doom is getting some minor CGI work (certainly a colour filter, maybe some glowing bits or little details) but the lack of dots mean that that costume will be very recognisable in the final film, otherwise he'd be wearing polka-dot pajamas like everyone else who'se been CGIed.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The criticism of Doctor Dooms outfit isn't fair at all. Guys these people are in the green screen phase of production. There are plenty of instances where the actors wear a half assed suit version of their characters and the rest is put into the CGI effects machine. They do this all the time. Calling the movie a failure right out of the gate is counting your eggs was too soon.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
This is an ashcan just to keep the rights isn't it?

Just like the 1994 movie.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
"You never thought you'd be laughing at the end did ya? Laughing so hard you couldn't breath! ...was all this a big practical joke?" - Mr. Plinkett/RedLetterMedia[footnote]Speaking of the infamous "Noooooo!" Darth Vader reveal in Revenge of the Sith.[/footnote]

That's the quote that immediately popped into my mind on seeing this.