The Fantastic Four Reboot is Doomed

MetalShadowChaos

Feb 3, 2014
It's possible that this isn't the 'costume' per se-but more the result of his body turning to metal against his will and making him look a bit fucked as a result. He could refine it later on into something actually evil and stuff.

Still looks a bit shit, but at least it may not be a permanent fixture.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Looks like a Weeping Angel that's been left out in a landfill and rained on for several years, then had an arm broken off by clumsy movers on its way to the movie studio for filming.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It looks like Doom is wearing Mossy Oak hunting camouflage. Is there a scene is the movie where Reed Richards and Dr. Doom go on a deer hunting trip? The does not bode well for the movie, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since this image is from when the movie hasn't hit post production.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Lilani said:
Maybe it's supposed to be what's under the armor? Like, some version of him before he's got the armor?
What I was thinking as well. I thought Doom was in the armor as a life-support, due to burns (I could be horribly wrong), and that looks like a burn victim...

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
Anyone else think that the Sam Rami Green Goblin suit pained steel colored, with a green cloak and possibly a different mask would make a perfect Dr. Doom costume? Seriously the comic character is a simple costume that looks good, they shouldn't try and reinvent the wheel, when they spent so much buying the wheel.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
hermes200 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Sillarra said:
If they are not using anything but the name, can Marvel just say that they are not really using the IP at all and take it back? I certainly hope so. Or maybe they are already planning to do this and are just waiting for the movie to come out so they can have a more definite claim.
I hate to judge anything so early on. But if all the things we have heard so far come to pass, I'm going to bet Marvel has a case for... I dunno... defamation of brand? Is that a thing? If not, it should be.
It is not, although there is a similar precedent they could use. Marvel/Disney could go to the writers guild to try to wrestle the rights of the characters back, if they feel Fox is hurting their brand; but it is such a hassle that likely neither of them want that. From what I know, it has to be quite a departure of the original IP for the WGA to intervene, and most licencing contracts have clauses to protect each party of those cases...

It sucks that the licensor seems to have more rights under the law than the creator.

Hopefully this image is some kind of out-of-context aberration, not the full DOOM suit from the film. DOOM deserves so much better than the trash in that picture. Maybe it's a stunt suit? Just for takes where it would be dangerous to wear anything but that wrinkly foam.

Boy, that's a stretch. But one can dream.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Haha, man he looks like an old school Dr. Who villain they didn't have a huge budget for.

Still context is important, it'll no doubt look different on the big screen.

William Purcell III

Aug 29, 2014
008Zulu said:
The non-armoured Doom is why I didn't like the Fantastic Four movies they did a while back. First (Sony) made Rhino from a mutant to a mech pilot, now (Fox) is turning a mech (power armour can fall in to this category) in to a mutant (again). Do they have a problem sticking to the source material?
The only thing Sony did wrong was not use Alex O'hirn in the movie as mech Rhino since he's the one that had it in comics.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Doomed is right. In this case, no pun is intended at all. This is going to be a trainwreck. Gads, what a crappy looking Doom!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
oldtaku said:
They'd better be intending to CG over that in post.
I'm not sure why people are assuming that's the actual costume when they're almost certainly going to CGI over it. Everyone remember all that kryptonian armour in Man of Steel? All CGI. Why weigh down an actor with an actual suit of armour if restricting his movement isn't necessary?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
hermes200 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Sillarra said:
If they are not using anything but the name, can Marvel just say that they are not really using the IP at all and take it back? I certainly hope so. Or maybe they are already planning to do this and are just waiting for the movie to come out so they can have a more definite claim.
I hate to judge anything so early on. But if all the things we have heard so far come to pass, I'm going to bet Marvel has a case for... I dunno... defamation of brand? Is that a thing? If not, it should be.
It is not, although there is a similar precedent they could use. Marvel/Disney could go to the writers guild to try to wrestle the rights of the characters back, if they feel Fox is hurting their brand; but it is such a hassle that likely neither of them want that. From what I know, it has to be quite a departure of the original IP for the WGA to intervene, and most licencing contracts have clauses to protect each party of those cases...

It sucks that the licensor seems to have more rights under the law than the creator.

Hopefully this image is some kind of out-of-context aberration, not the full DOOM suit from the film. DOOM deserves so much better than the trash in that picture. Maybe it's a stunt suit? Just for takes where it would be dangerous to wear anything but that wrinkly foam.

Boy, that's a stretch. But one can dream.
Yeah; most likely, its a placeholder for the real armor.

Not that such an armor NEEDS to be CGI. A far more decent attempt than this can be done with prosthetic and make up, or good old costume design.

In the end, this goes back to the article of MovieBob [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12145-Fox-s-Upcoming-The-Fantastic-Four-Isn-t-Getting-Any-Hype]. Any bad press this leak would raise could be solved with official promotional material, even concept art. Considering the movie is currently in post-production, it is a constant source of negative speculation the fact we should have a lot more information (trailers, previews, interviews, even toys) at this point...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
...that looks HIDEOUS. Jesus, what is that made of, paper mache? I honestly do not believe that's actually what they're using. Calling it now, that picture's a hoax made by some prankster.
Or they're going to CG over most of him. You would be surprised by how much CG movies (and even TV shows) use these days. It's almost to the point where we might as well call them animated features. Heck, just look at the background, not a single physical prop. Where ever they are standing in that shot, it's going to be 100% CG for the background.

Btoken

Mar 19, 2009
Seriously? Christ on a stick, that's the funniest damn thing I've seen today! Wow. I'm torn between fits of snorting laughter and waves of regret tinged with sadness. The exact same thing happens when I drink cheap tequila, but just wow.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Doom isn't hard. At all. Doom should be one of the easiest "Big Bosses" of the Marvel U to bring to the screen. Fox got Thing right and you continually screw up Doom? Isn't that like tripping over a leaf? Please give the rights back, we deserve better....Doom deserves better. No, Doom demands better!

PS. STAHP IT, FOX! Damn.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
To put this in perspective, this was Dr. Doom from the unreleased Roger Corman FF movie.

Yep, Corman on a doomed shoestring budget did it better with a couple of nobodies.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Vivi22 said:
oldtaku said:
They'd better be intending to CG over that in post.
I'm not sure why people are assuming that's the actual costume when they're almost certainly going to CGI over it. Everyone remember all that kryptonian armour in Man of Steel? All CGI. Why weigh down an actor with an actual suit of armour if restricting his movement isn't necessary?
I'll tend to favor the late master Stan Winston's take on this from when he made Iron Man. The producers wanted a full CGI suit. He said no, you could not get the lighting good enough to trick the eye, and proved himself right by building a real suit and showing them.

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
*Clicks thinking the article is going to be one thing*
*Sees that it's not anything of the sort (and a terrible pun)*
*Swears profusely*

Creedsareevil said:
soo... that was too much to ask of the producers?
It's always amusing when a fan can cobble together a better looking costume in their spare time.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Mromson said:
Good lord could you get anymore clickbaity? I might stop coming to this site altogether if these clickbaits don't bloody stop.
No no, the title's accurate. The new movie is pretty much in the grave now.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Therumancer said:
That and personally if I wanted to cast "Mole Man" nowadays I'd probably have seen if I could get Peter Dinklage, not just because he's short (but that helps obviously) but he can play both ruthless and oddly charismatic.
If Peter Dinklage should be anyone in the marvel universe, it should be Galactus. Give him a real test of his acting acumen. Even better if they don't use CG.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Aramis Night said:
Therumancer said:
That and personally if I wanted to cast "Mole Man" nowadays I'd probably have seen if I could get Peter Dinklage, not just because he's short (but that helps obviously) but he can play both ruthless and oddly charismatic.
If Peter Dinklage should be anyone in the marvel universe, it should be Galactus. Give him a real test of his acting acumen. Even better if they don't use CG.
I'm now envisioning Galactus reaming the hell out of the Four, Tyrion Lannister style, and topping it off somehow with "Reed Richards is Useless, indeed.". Thank you for that.