The Fast Track To Internet Infamy

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
So, in summary, if you just close your eyes and hope really fucking hard, racism will start to completely vanish, because the only thing keeping racism alive is people against racism talking about racism? And telling people to understand that just because they don't see it, just because they don't feel it, it doesn't mean it isn't happening, is the wrongest of wrongs because it really hurts your colorblind feels? Because you, NuclearKangaroo, are not a racist, and you have never experienced racism, so if everyone was perfect like you and could distance themselves from racism it would somehow vanish? How about you stop willfully misinterpreting what everyone is trying to tell you and just fucking accept that the world's population is not magically going to become colorblind over-night because we will it.

Like with every other social problem you need awareness, you need education about the problem (or whatever you want to call it), and you sometimes need to struggle with those trying to maintain the status quo because it benefits them and/or they are possibly blind to the problem. As a bare minimum it takes people willing to call bullshit on things like "racism doesn't exist because I don't feel it." And we call fucking bullshit.

/Edit for dumb typo.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Vault101 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Vault101 said:
you're right, black women are individuals that might think different things.....[b/]but I don't have anything to say in that conversation[/b] what could I say?
all i can think of is, "i feel bad you feel bad, is there anything i can do to help?"
acknowledging something is not the same as feeling "bad about" it...wanna have a discussion on how modern society views black women? don't ask me

again it goes back to what I was saying before, its kind of the same borderline arrogant mentality that asks why people need their own "spaces" its because the mainstream is a space that caters to one specific demographic,
i dont agree, i mean, personally i never felt alineated by what was portrayed by the mainstream media, and there is content that is aimed at specific audiences

Vault101 said:
[quote/]
and why would hate solve all that? dont you think that by acting rational and camly, people are more likely to accept you? to show empathy towards you? is not easy, but the hard route is often the best
do they want them to act rationally or calmly? or do they want them to stroke their egos? because some people aren't happy with anything but the latter[/quote]

then ignore those people, they are not worth your time

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
thundra said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
thundra said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
thundra said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
thundra said:
People aren't equal anywhere i'm being forced to do something that will cut my future generations ever exciting, nor can i ever marry someone in the future because of my gender identity. My country isn't your utopian Yugoslavia you think is so great here is little hint its not free from racism, homophobia or transphobia. Grow up
if you think people are not being treated equally, why dont you start by yourself, treat everyone equally regardless of his/her race/gender/sexual orientation and critize others who dont, its the best way to make a difference
That is not how it works. Those who are in power has all the power. There is reason why minority is called minority they have no voice. I do not have power to change entire country of over 5 million population minds of trans people that believes they are scum of the earth and gross i have to be in constant fear of real hate crimes unlike holy untouchble straight white people
and why would hate solve all that? dont you think that by acting rational and camly, people are more likely to accept you? to show empathy towards you? is not easy, but the hard route is often the best

defend yourself agaisnt the people who offend you, to the race to which they belong
I'm not hating anyone. But democracy works only for those who are in power everyone else gets thrown under a bus your believe that modern world is fair and just is juvenile at best and downright naive
i dont agree, the general direction mankind is moving towards is acceptance and tolerance, we live in an outrageously tolerant world compared to previous ages, and i have no reason to believe it wont get better, we should simply stay on course

look one of the big advantages of democracy, that unfortunately is slowly disappearign where i live, is that everyone can express their opinion freely, if you feel oppressed state your points, make fair demands, and let people know you are person just like them and deserve the same treatment

democracy aint perfect, but it sure as hell beats the alternatives
You can't be that naive can you. Its kinda cute but no sorry thats not reality.
well ive seen it work

i just cant imagine how acting in an aggresive way can be more effective at getting people to sympathise with you than acting calm, patient and rational

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
i dont agree, i mean, personally i never felt alineated by what was portrayed by the mainstream media, and there is content that is aimed at specific audiences
well good for you! I'm glad we cleared that up....hear that guys? pack it up

[quote/]
then ignore those people, they are not worth your time[/quote]
you may be onto something there....but I digress...

heres the problem [quote/]

well ive seen it work

i just cant imagine how acting in an aggresive way can be more effective at getting people to sympathise with you than acting calm, patient and rational[/quote]

you ain't living in the real world, this is not being progressive, this is burying your head in the sand,

now I'm not going so far as to say your one of "those" people but the mentality is similar, arrogantly assuming everyone should stop being "mean" and sit around the campfire singing Kumbya (hey hey! guess who's got dibs on the guitar?)

guy sits there at his computer and comes across something that implies his demographic is better off in some way or another, (and of coarse he takes this personally because why the hell not?) now this he cannot abide, this messes with his view of the wolrd....so he needs to somehow prove that no....women are not worse off we are all equally worse off so he comes up with some disingenuous hippie "equality for everyone" and "WHAT ABOUT THE MENZ" defence because god for bid he acknowledge something that (in his mind) casts him as the villan in the grand play of life

[b/]in his mind[/b]

you want to talk about being calm and rationale? who is being calm and rational here? is it the "gamers"? cause I sure as fuck don't think so

if me saying "I think the way games handle female characters and Gamers general attitude towards women is bullshit" (a statement which strikes me as perfectly reasonable give or take the profanity) hurts someone's feelings then [I/]screw their feelings[/I] I'm not sugar coating it

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Alien1375 said:
lol!!! Such a funny joke!! I want to make a funny joke too... hmm let's see.

Grey Carter rapes black babies!!! lol now I am a cutting edge comedian too!!!

Now now moderation: let's keep it civil shall we? We don't wanna look like complete hypocritical twats by banning someone who made the same kind of jokes a paid contributor of The Escapist is making, do we?
erm.....why are you upset? how was this comic offense?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Vault101 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
well good for you! I'm glad we cleared that up....hear that guys? pack it up
well make up your mind dude, you care about what minorities feel or not? how is me not feeling alineated any less important than someone feeling alineated?

Vault101 said:
[quote/]
then ignore those people, they are not worth your time
you may be onto something there....but I digress...

heres the problem

[quote/]

well ive seen it work

i just cant imagine how acting in an aggresive way can be more effective at getting people to sympathise with you than acting calm, patient and rational[/quote]

you ain't living in the real world, this is not being progressive, this is burying your head in the sand,

now I'm not going so far as to say your one of "those" people but the mentality is similar, arrogantly assuming everyone should stop being "mean" and sit around the campfire singing Kumbya (hey hey! guess who's got dibs on the guitar?)

guy sits there at his computer and comes across something that implies his demographic is better off in some way or another, (and of coarse he takes this personally because why the hell not?) now this he cannot abide, this messes with his view of the wolrd....so he needs to somehow prove that no....women are not worse off we are all equally worse off so he comes up with some disingenuous hippie "equality for everyone" and "WHAT ABOUT THE MENZ" defence because god for bid he acknowledge something that (in his mind) casts him as the villan in the grand play of life

[b/]in his mind[/b]

you want to talk about being calm and rationale? who is being calm and rational here? is it the "gamers"? cause I sure as fuck don't think so

if me saying "I think the way games handle female characters and Gamers general attitude towards women is bullshit" (a statement which strikes me as perfectly reasonable give or take the profanity) hurts someone's feelings then [I/]screw their feelings[/I] I'm not sugar coating it[/quote]

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

im going to repeat myself once more, i am aparently one of these supposedly oppressed minorities, ive never felt alineated from anything in the media, i never cared if the characters of the films i watches, the books i read or the games i played were black, latino, white, female, male, anthropomorphic animals, robots, spaceships, etc

however you know what i have also seen? your argument about priviledges and stuff, being used here, only this time refering to upper class people, what race could never do classism and politics did, my country has been divided in two, some of the most outrageous excesses have been commited in order to eliminate the priviledge of those in the upper class, some of the most blatant lies have been told to satisfy the poor masses

except, no, all the lies, are the excesses, they were done with the only purpose of bringing the people behind this movement into power and indulge themselves

so no, i believe it doesnt work

as for gamers not being rational, do you think its fair to tell an artist what he can or cannot do with his work?

if you are unsatisfied by the kind of games being made right now, allow me to show you this image

really, what is the most healthy behaviour?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
well make up your mind dude, you care about what minorities feel or not? how is me not feeling alineated any less important than someone feeling alineated?
its good you don't feel alienated, but that doesn't mean some don't

[quote/]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King, Jr.[/quote]
martian luther king said a thing...whoop de fucking do

[quote/]im going to repeat myself once more, i am aparently one of these supposedly oppressed minorities, ive never felt alineated from anything in the media, i never cared if the characters of the films i watches, the books i read or the games i played were black, latino, white, female, male, anthropomorphic animals, robots, spaceships, etc[/quote]
so what? I should do the same? not care?

oh oh no no sorry

I should go away, I should stop talking...we should all go the fuck away shouldn't we?

because everytime someone says "make your own games" every time someone pulls a "what about the menz" ever time someone tries to mansplain the fact that we all have an eaqual share of the oppression pie that's what they are saying

that's what YOU are saying, you don't want us to be reasonable, you want us to be silent

yeah, no your right, I should stop hurting peoples feelings by being critical of media

[quote/]however you know what i have seen? your argument about priviledges and stuff, being used here, only this time refering to upper class people, what race could never do classism and politics did, my country has been divided in two, some of the most outrageous excesses have been commited in order to eliminate the priviledge of those in the upper class, some of the most blatant lies have been told to satisfy the poor masses

except, no, all the lies, are the excesses, they were done with the only purpose of bringing the people behind this movement into power and indulge themselves

so no, it doesnt work[/quote]

your version of "it" and my version of "it" are cealry ver different

[quote/]as for gamers not being rational, do you think its fair to tell an artist what he can or cannot do with his work?[/quote]
NO ONE IS SAYING THAT

and there you go again, eather its equality for everyone or its artistic integrity....its the same thing in the end, an utter refusal to understand or acknowledge why people feel that way

no no its always something else...its this...its that let me quote martin luther king! let me show you the light of all equality you silly female, let me tell you why you should shut up but I'll be nice about it!

[quote/]if you are unsatisfied by the kind of games being made right now, allow me to show you this image

really, what is the most healthy behaviour?[/quote]

that image right here is arrogance at its best

you talk to ME about being reasonable and then...and then with such condescension and a little pat on the head and shove that crap at me like....like that's it? that's the fucking solution to everyone's problems? if the silly whatevers just go away and make their own whatever that absolves the rest of us any critical thought? it protects the feewings of all those poor souls who get that little twinge in their stomach the moment something they like is criticised

that image is everything wrong with peuso progressive disingenuous people, and the fact that you honestly don't see the issue with it goes to show a complete refusal to understand

and you wonder why people het pissed off

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
I think it's getting a bit heated in here. May be a good time for people to take a break, get something to drink, blow up aliens in a game.

I would like to step in here about this part though:

Vault101 said:
you talk to ME about being reasonable and then...and then with such condescension and a little pat on the head and shove that crap at me like....like that's it? that's the fucking solution to everyone's problems? if the silly whatevers just go away and make their own whatever that absolves the rest of us any critical thought? it protects the feewings of all those poor souls who get that little twinge in their stomach the moment something they like is criticised

that image is everything wrong with peuso progressive disingenuous people, and the fact that you honestly don't see the issue with it goes to show a complete refusal to understand

While I think NK's presentation of the image wasn't as diplomatic as it could have been, I do have to inquire how pointing out that the best way to ensure you get the kind of media you want is to make it yourself is "everything wrong with psuedo progressive disingenuous people"

I may be missing some other context, as this thread got somewhat heated and I skimmed through the more ornery parts, but I hope you elaborate what you mean there for me.

While it's absolutely true you cannot wave a "do it yourself" card to alleviate all criticism, it's also a valid point to make that at a certain point, if no one is doing it and it makes you that upset, show them how it's done. If there's a genuine interest, then the consumer will happily throw money at you for fulfilling it, and that will show others that it's worth pursuing.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Vault101 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
ok how about this, i feel alineated when other people feel alineated

now what?

Vault101 said:
[quote/]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
martian luther king said a thing...whoop de fucking do[/quote]

werent you supposed to be rational?

Vault101 said:
[quote/]im going to repeat myself once more, i am aparently one of these supposedly oppressed minorities, ive never felt alineated from anything in the media, i never cared if the characters of the films i watches, the books i read or the games i played were black, latino, white, female, male, anthropomorphic animals, robots, spaceships, etc
so what? I should do the same? not care?

oh oh no no sorry

I should go away, I should stop talking...we should all go the fuck away shouldn't we?

because everytime someone says "make your own games" every time someone pulls a "what about the menz" ever time someone tries to mansplain the fact that we all have an eaqual share of the oppression pie that's what they are saying

that's what YOU are saying, you don't want us to be reasonable, you want us to be silent

yeah, no your right, I should stop hurting peoples feelings by being critical of media [/quote]

did you seriously use the term "mansplain" unironically?

let me tell you something, what if i told a girl i dont want to hear her "girlsplanations" or a black man i dont want to hear his "blacksplanations"

think about what you are actually saying man

if you dont accept people, if you dont stop looking for ways in which we are different, you will only perpetuate a circle of hate and intolerance

Vault101 said:
[quote/]however you know what i have seen? your argument about priviledges and stuff, being used here, only this time refering to upper class people, what race could never do classism and politics did, my country has been divided in two, some of the most outrageous excesses have been commited in order to eliminate the priviledge of those in the upper class, some of the most blatant lies have been told to satisfy the poor masses

so no, it doesnt work
your version of "it" and my version of "it" are cealry ver different [/quote]

i dont think so, ive heard it all

"they are the priviledged"

"it doesnt matter what they say"

"they are the reason you live soo poorly"

etc

Vault101 said:
[quote/]as for gamers not being rational, do you think its fair to tell an artist what he can or cannot do with his work?
NO ONE IS SAYING THAT

and there you go again, eather its equality for everyone or its artistic integrity....its the same thing in the end, an utter refusal to understand or acknowledge why people feel that way

no no its always something else...its this...its that let me quote martin luther king! let me show you the light of all equality you silly female, let me tell you why you should shut up but I'll be nice about it!

[quote/]if you are unsatisfied by the kind of games being made right now, allow me to show you this image

really, what is the most healthy behaviour?[/quote]

and you wonder why people het pissed off[/quote]

well i know you dont like images but i think this is relevant

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/826/635/8d7.png_large

the opinion from a person outside of this industry, a photographer, and why artists have the freadom to make the art they want, it doesnt matter if you feel offended by it

just think about it

the birth of a nation - racism film about the KKK
the triumph of will - nazi propaganda film
battleship potemkin - communist propaganda film
saturn devouring his son - very graphic painting

all controversial, all art, just because you dont agree with their message doesnt mean they have any less merit as pieces of art

there was this piece of art, it was a crucifix inside a bottle of piss, you know as a catholic that shit offends me, do i go around asking for the artist to censor himself? no, its his crucifix, his bottle and his piss (i hope), he is free to do whatever he wants with it, and if truthly it is art, well then its art that simply doesnt appeal to me

i asked you a very simple question, what behaviour do you think its more healthy?

i say having a brand new genre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otome_game

with its own target demographic is beyond fantastic, instead of limiting the creativity of someone else, you create something new and contribute to the industry with your own dash of creativity

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Areloch said:
While I think NK's presentation of the image wasn't as diplomatic as it could have been, I do have to inquire how pointing out that the best way to ensure you get the kind of media you want is to make it yourself is "everything wrong with psuedo progressive disingenuous people"

I may be missing some other context, as this thread got somewhat heated and I skimmed through the more ornery parts, but I hope you elaborate what you mean there for me.

While it's absolutely true you cannot wave a "do it yourself" card to alleviate all criticism, it's also a valid point to make that at a certain point, if no one is doing it and it makes you that upset, show them how it's done. If there's a genuine interest, then the consumer will happily throw money at you for fulfilling it, and that will show others that it's worth pursuing.
*deep breaths*

because more often than not its NEVER about the actual making of games, its a silencing technique plain and simple

the thing is there is no "endgame" here, criticism, even through the lense of feminism is important and wont (or shouldn't go away) if I think your game is sexist I will tell you about it, weather or not you take that on board is entirely up to you as the creator...telling me to go make my own games is beside the point

don't get me wrong, different kind of people making games is good, and it DOES happen because if people are gonna make games theyre gonna make games, and the kind of games we may not see...and that's great

its like they think all we do is sit around and foam at the mouth about thease kinds of things, thats not true...we all have a "line" as to what we will or won't enjoy,
NuclearKangaroo said:

now what?
I don't know because that's gone into some loop I don't understand

[quote/]
werent you supposed to be rational?[/quote]
I get a little agitated when I keep smacking my head into the same points over and over again

[quote/]

let me tell you something, what if i told a girl i dont want to hear her "girlsplanations" or a black man i dont want to hear his "blacksplanations"[/quote]
heres the thing though...[b/]its depends on whats being said[/b]

I go up to a bunch of black women and condescendingly tell them about their problems and what they're doing wrong "and if you only did X you wouldn't have an issue" me....an upper middle class white woman who has never met a black woman so much as LIVED as one...they'd probably roll their eyes and tell me to go away...as they should

doesn't mean I may not have a point, (I might) but these things can sometimes matter

same thing If a guy tells me I should be flattered next time I feel uncomfortable by another's advances...I'll probably tell him where to stick it

again its not *always* such a big factor but it *can* be

[quote/]if you dont accept people, if you dont stop looking for ways in which we are different, you will only perpetuate a [/quote]
you don't get to have it both ways

you don't get to be "enlightened" and "progressive" without casting a critical eye at things and where you might be coming from

so you can throw hippy dippy "circle of hate and intolerance" or quote martin luther king at me but I'm not buying it, ESPECIALLY if that image was your idea of a sound argument

[quote/]

[/quote]
this might be hard to belive but I don't have anything against straight white males, only jerks

[quote/]the opinion from a person outside of this industry, a photographer, and why artists have the freadom to make the art they want, it doesnt matter if you feel offended by it

just think about it

all controversial, all art, just because you dont agree with their message doesnt mean they have any less merit as pieces of art

there was this piece of art, it was a crucifix inside a bottle of piss, you know as a catholic that shit offends me, do i go around asking for the artist to censor himself? no, its his crucifix, his bottle and his piss (i hope), he is free to do whatever he wants with it, and if truthly it is art, well then its art that simply doesnt appeal to me[/quote]
see you seem to be implying things I never said, let me essentialy repeat what I said above

artists can do as they please, and I can criticise as they please, and they can change or NOT change as they please

you seem to take issue with the middle part

[quote/]i asked you a very simple question, what behaviour do you think its more healthy?[/quote]
condescension again...nice

I don't actually sit around foaming at the mouth over thease things I merely state my opinion. Nothing more nothing less, we criticise other art, that's a good thing...why are games special?

[quote/] instead of limiting the creativity of someone else[/quote]

I find it utterly baffling you think ANY "limiting of creativy" comes from a fictional bunch of internet femenazis...and you know...not the comcerial whims of the AAA industry

utterly baffling

also

NO ONE EVER SAID THAT

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Vault101 said:
Areloch said:

*deep breaths*

because more often than not its NEVER about the actual making of games, its a silencing technique plain and simple

the thing is there is no "endgame" here, criticism, even through the lense of feminism is important and wont (or shouldn't go away) if I think your game is sexist I will tell you about it, weather or not you take that on board is entirely up to you as the creator...telling me to go make my own games is beside the point

don't get me wrong, different kind of people making games is good, and it DOES happen because if people are gonna make games theyre gonna make games, and the kind of games we may not see...and that's great

its like they think all we do is sit around and foam at the mouth about thease kinds of things, thats not true...we all have a "line" as to what we will or won't enjoy,
That's a fair point.

I would like to believe that MOST people that suggest making their own aren't being disingenuous about it, but I know better than to assume everyone is making a legitimate suggestion.

I agree that criticism is absolutely a good thing - when done constructively. If you feel a game is sexist and elaborate as to why, then that it indeed is up to the developer to take to heart. If they don't, then that is the decision they made.

The other side, of course, are the nonconstructive people, who's points start and end with "This is sexist". If that is the full extent of their input, I'm hard pressed to believe there's a better response to it (other than 'you're not obligated to play it') is to say "well, then show me how it should be done".

But I do agree with you that using "make a game yourself" as a cudgel to end criticism in general is foolish and detrimental to everyone involved.

NuclearKangaroo said:
Come now. While I do believe you do have a valid point to make, I feel you're beginning to get overly aggressive. It doesn't make the people you're responding to any more receptive. I would suggest taking a step back, and then coming back with a fresh head to make your point again.

Shouting matches never convince anyone.

DM Gray

Sep 9, 2014
I cant believe that people telling others they are progressive or care about inclusion can find NK's last few posts offensive.
Japanese women made a game for themselves.
Western women decided it as sexist.
That PROVES that a small minority of western women are just TRYING to be offended by things, and their assertions that "only men do it" are absurd.

Why not support or make their own games?
Why not say "I do not like it" instead of "it is sexist"
You are behaving like the suggestion or the criticism is a form of bloody oppression...

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
DM Gray said:
Why not support or make their own games?
You are behaving like the suggestion or the criticism is a form of bloody oppression...
To be fair, it is also a valid point that not everyone can actually make their own games.

While I do believe in the "show me how it is done" approach, it's also completely unreasonable to assume a single working mom that wishes to play games that interests her would have the free time to build a game herself from scratch - to use a hypothetical. Using the suggestion to make their own as a shield from all criticism is just as bad. Not to necessarily imply that's what's happening, but as a general idea.

I agree. I think people would get much better responses from developers if they actually articulated their critiques, as opposed to saying "sexism" and dropping the microphone.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Areloch said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Come now. While I do believe you do have a valid point to make, I feel you're beginning to get overly aggressive. It doesn't make the people you're responding to any more receptive. I would suggest taking a step back, and then coming back with a fresh head to make your point again.

Shouting matches never convince anyone.
haha man, im real sorry if i came off like that, im actually trying to respond in the most calm way possible, i was already mocked, called a bigot and retarded here

but i dont want this to devolve into a pointless insult war

i understand the need for more equality, but i believe the best way to achieve that is stop looking at what makes us different and concentrate on what makes us similar

i also understand people wanting more games aimed at them but, the answer to that is painfully simple, make those kind of games, dont force artists to change their vision

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Areloch said:
I would like to believe that MOST people that suggest making their own aren't being disingenuous about it, but I know better than to assume everyone is making a legitimate suggestion.
I've been on this carousel long enough to not be that hopeful....maybe misguided at best

[quote/]The other side, of course, are the nonconstructive people, who's points start and end with "This is sexist". If that is the full extent of their input, I'm hard pressed to believe there's a better response to it (other than 'you're not obligated to play it') is to say "well, then show me how it should be done".[/quote]
well that's why people need to explain themselves...and even then it goes back to what I said about personal lines

I enjoy Eminem even though I know he can be mysoganistic and homophobic in his lyrics (and in his case I don't think I can dismiss it based on the fact that par for the coarse in hip hop) now if someone could not listen to him because of that then that's fine, if I tell them theyre being stupid and "its just an act" that's not fine

DM Gray said:
I cant believe that people telling others they are progressive or care about inclusion can find NK's last few posts offensive.
Japanese women made a game for themselves.
Western women decided it as sexist.
That PROVES that a small minority of western women are just TRYING to be offended by things, and their assertions that "only men do it" are absurd.
dat logic...

NuclearKangaroo said:
i understand the need for more equality, but i believe the best way to achieve that is stop looking at what makes us different and concentrate on what makes us similar
THIS DOES NOT [b/]MEAN[/b] ANYTHING

really

its meaningless fluff

[quote/]i also understand people wanting more games aimed at them but, the answer to that is painfully simple, make those kind of games, dont force artists to change their vision[/quote]
I really don't think you do....

1. the commercial demands of mainstream entertainment industry's already force artists to change/adjust their vision and has been the biggest factor in that regard, its the reason we have less female protagonists

2.telling people to make their own games is and has always been beside the point, again, there is no end game here, feminism is not over, racism still exists and the human race has not "stopped" evolving

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Vault101 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

now what?
I don't know because that's gone into some loop I don't understand
exactly it means nothing, so what if some people feel alineated? not everyone feels alineated

Vault101 said:
[quote/]
werent you supposed to be rational?
I get a little agitated when I keep smacking my head into the same points over and over again [/quote]

then just say "i already addressed this"

mocking the other party wont get you anywhere

Vault101 said:
[quote/]

let me tell you something, what if i told a girl i dont want to hear her "girlsplanations" or a black man i dont want to hear his "blacksplanations"

heres the thing though...[b/]its depends on whats being said[/b][/quote]

you are disregarding what im saying because im a man, is that not discrimination?

Vault101 said:
I go up to a bunch of black women and condescendingly tell them about their problems and what they're doing wrong "and if you only did X you wouldn't have an issue" me....an upper middle class white woman who has never met a black woman so much as LIVED as one...they'd probably roll their eyes and tell me to go away...as they should

doesn't mean I may not have a point, (I might) but these things can sometimes matter
so you are ashamed of your race/position, that cant be healthy

if your points are valid why should your race matter?

Vault101 said:
same thing If a guy tells me I should be flattered next time I feel uncomfortable by another's advances...I'll probably tell him where to stick it

again its not *always* such a big factor but it *can* be
only if you let it be a big factor, again because you overthink things like race, atleast in my opinion

Vault101 said:
[quote/]if you dont accept people, if you dont stop looking for ways in which we are different, you will only perpetuate a
you don't get to have it both ways

you don't get to be "enlightened" and "progressive" without casting a critical eye at things and where you might be coming from

so you can throw hippy dippy "circle of hate and intolerance" or quote martin luther king at me but I'm not buying it, ESPECIALLY if that image was your idea of a sound argument [/quote]

is not an image i think its simple logic, its the personal point of view ive developed over the years based both on the tolerance and intolerance i see in my country, race didnt divide us, income did, when some people started blaming those in better economical position of being the root of all problems, hate lies and abuses

Vault101 said:
[quote/]

this might be hard to belive but I don't have anything against straight white males, only jerks [/quote]

well then stop dismissing the argument of men as "mansplaining" seriously it does nothing to attract new friends, and while i didnt take offense, others might

Vault101 said:

[quote/]the opinion from a person outside of this industry, a photographer, and why artists have the freadom to make the art they want, it doesnt matter if you feel offended by it

just think about it

there was this piece of art, it was a crucifix inside a bottle of piss, you know as a catholic that shit offends me, do i go around asking for the artist to censor himself? no, its his crucifix, his bottle and his piss (i hope), he is free to do whatever he wants with it, and if truthly it is art, well then its art that simply doesnt appeal to me
see you seem to be implying things I never said, let me essentialy repeat what I said above

artists can do as they please, and I can criticise as they please, and they can change or NOT change as they please

you seem to take issue with the middle part

[quote/]i asked you a very simple question, what behaviour do you think its more healthy?[/quote]
condescension again...nice

I don't actually sit around foaming at the mouth over thease things I merely state my opinion. Nothing more nothing less, we criticise other art, that's a good thing...why are games special?[/quote]

i think a work of art should be critized based on its merits as art, not on whenever it follows a certain political point of view or not

Vault101 said:
[quote/] instead of limiting the creativity of someone else
I find it utterly baffling you think ANY "limiting of creativy" comes from a fictional bunch of internet femenazis...and you know...not the comcerial whims of the AAA industry

utterly baffling

also

NO ONE EVER SAID THAT[/quote]

you sure?

http://orogion.deviantart.com/journal/Save-the-Boob-plate-380891149

a developer of divinity original sin, forced to redesign one of his characters because some people didnt like bikini armor

i dont support insults or shaming of devs because of their artistics decisions, now if a game fails as a game, by all means critize that

if there is truthly an audience for all those different kinds of characters you want, the market should eventually speak for itself dont you think?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Vault101 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
THIS DOES NOT [b/]MEAN[/b] ANYTHING

really

its meaningless fluff
i think it does

Vault101 said:
[quote/]i also understand people wanting more games aimed at them but, the answer to that is painfully simple, make those kind of games, dont force artists to change their vision
I really don't think you do....

1. the commercial demands of mainstream entertainment industry's already force artists to change/adjust their vision and has been the biggest factor in that regard, its the reason we have less female protagonists

2.telling people to make their own games is and has always been beside the point, again, there is no end game here, feminism is not over, racism still exists and the human race has not "stopped" evolving[/quote]

1- well if there is a market for female characters we should eventually see a strong demand for them dont you think?

2- i dont get your point here, im saying if you want your gender/race/sexual orientation to be better represented in video games you could comaplain about it... or do something about it

im kinda bummed about a certain strategy subgenre i feel is not represented well enough, so im making my own game about that subgenre, see? this is how you change things

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Vault101 said:
I know I haven't faced much because I don't apparently "act ethnic" of any of the races of that make me up, but i know I still see it, both towards me and others. It can easily be possible he hasn't seen anything thrown his way in terms of racism, especially with his country's situation. I just don't understand why he is essentially burning the bridge for everyone else by saying "I'm not white and I haven't been discriminated against, so racism doesn't exist/isn't a huge problem" when in fact he should just say "isn't a huge problem to me, under my circumstances, but it may be to others". For me, his argument is equivalent of saying some slaves of 1800s Georgia really did enjoy their lives of forced servitude and lack of human rights and decency in exchange for essentially being treated like livestock, so we should respect their opinions as much as the slaves who wanted to be free and not think of them as mind-washed or anything else for that matter.
oh oh no no sorry

yeah, no your right, I should stop hurting peoples feelings by being critical of media
Yeah, the silence thing you brought up seems like what a lot of people want, specifically anti feminist gamers. The argument of "don't talk about the problem and it will go away" seems to be a favorite amongst a lot of people who just don't care about change enough to even admit they want it. He may bring up #gamergate as a counter, to that I'll say, the literal conspiracy theory needs proper legs before it can actually stand. If people are going to make all SJWs and feminists apart of it like I see at least a few twitter users and others do, then I see the theory as no better than the one with chemicals in the water making people sterile and gay. Conspiracies usually imply an orchestrated attack or plan, most of this seems as orchestrated as a train wreck.

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT

Well, not no one , but it definitely isn't made by either you or me, or most here. Me coming across things that offend me or others doesn't license banning, but instead criticism, even for things I love. I also remember not all criticism can stand/is valid, so my gut reaction isn't "OMG, you're overly offended!", it's more so just a polite "You may be a bit off on your analysis, my opinion is ..." and recognize analysis isn't 100% right for anything. There can be dozens of themes garned from just 1 short story or poem.

Was that image oversimplified propaganda? Yes. Gives no historical/cultural context? Yes. Made to silence opposition by essentially using the "stop whining!" argument? Oh you better believe YES!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
i think it does
it doesn't, you keep parroting the same thing over and over

and yet you refuse to even look at anything critically

[quote/]
1- well if there is a market for female characters we should eventually see a strong demand for them dont you think?[/quote]
so uh...all those scary femenazis on the internet your so scared of...they don't represent a "strong demnd"?

anyway so now we are in a circle situation, we think people don't want female protagonist, we don't make them...round and round it goes

we know for a fact developers are facing an uphill battle should they want to make a non optional female protagonist because of what publishers think, play it safe....we all know this, its not secret

we also know as far as movies go female let projects are not box office poison, make something good enough people will like, now games might be a little different from movies...but I think the audience is large enough

[quote/]2- i dont get your point here, im saying if you want your gender/race/sexual orientation to be better represented in video games you could comaplain about it... or do something about it[/quote]
"complaing" is actually a valid part of the process...again we critique our culture, and "doing something about it" is not so cut and dry

[quote/]im kinda bummed about a certain strategy subgenre i feel is not represented well enough, so im making my own game about that subgenre, see? this is how you change things[/quote]
except NOBDY tells anyone to do that when it comes up in gamign discussion

NuclearKangaroo said:
exactly it means nothing, so what if some people feel alineated? not everyone feels alienated
so what? the people who do are wrong? should shut up?

[quote/]
so you are ashamed of your race/position, that cant be healthy[/quote]you'vr got to be doing this on purpose...I tried to explain it.

I did not grow up a black woman, there are aspects of society that affect black women I didn't even know about but you know what? I read about those aspects and instead of getting all defensive and shit (because waaah! the world revoles around me!) I learned about and understood it, and I'm better for it

[quote/]if your points are valid why should your race matter?[/quote]
because its one of the many things that make up your experiences and attitude of the world

I don't know what its like to come from a dysfunctional family, or to live in an unsafe country, or to never have enough food or to have parents the didn't value education, this colors my perception of [b/]certain topics[/b] and it would be very easy for me to pull a just world fallacy and act like all the problems of the poor are their own fault (because what a comforting thought that would be)

Vault101 said:
only if you let it be a big factor, again because you overthink things like race, at least in my opinion
aahhhh so now I'm overthinking things, another hand wave

and you simplify everything to avoid critical thought

[quote/]

"they are the priviledged"[/quote]
privaligde is actually a thing I've tried to explain off hand in this whole thing...though I never used the word because you start using certain words people freak out

[quote/]"it doesnt matter what they say"[/quote]
that depeeeeeeendssss!!!

[quote/]"they are the reason you live soo poorly"
[/quote]
again who and the why is more complicated than that

[quote/]well then stop dismissing the argument of men as "mansplaining" seriously it does nothing to attract new friends, and while i didnt take offense, others might[/quote]
oh....oh I'm sorry I'm being mean aren't I?

I disagree (and sometimes dismiss) arguments based on whats being said first and foremost....what's being said can come from a personas background,

in other words you want to ask a female centric woman you might do well to ask...you know...a woman

[quote/]
i think a work of art should be critized based on its merits as art, not on whenever it follows a certain political point of view or not[/quote]
it all goes hand in hand

what an artist is trying to get across, what the audience interprets, how art affects us and our culture its all related and important

you can actually take thease things into account while still enjoying them....I should know..I like hip hop

Birth of a nation paints a picture of a racist as fuck society, we know this, we accept this, no one defends it, just just accept it for its historical context and significance

[quote/]
you sure?

http://orogion.deviantart.com/journal/Save-the-Boob-plate-380891149

a developer of divinity original sin, forced to redesign one of his characters because some people didnt like bikini armor

i dont support insults or shaming of devs because of their artistics decisions, now if a game fails as a game, by all means critize that
[/quote]

the devs chose to change it, if they wanted they could have stuck to their guns....

.....its not like this was a commercial issue

oh hey about "strong demand" again....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
if there is truthly an audience for all those different kinds of characters you want, the market should eventually speak for itself dont you think?
You mean aside from the people online speaking for it that you actively dismiss and talk down to?

It might also show up in marketing, except for the active exclusion we've seen. Or the way publishers have reduced female roles. Weird how the "censorship bad!" crowd was silent when that was making news stories.

Of course, the public can speak for itself. It's not like games with female protagonists see significantly less marketing than those with male protagonists or anything. Well, except that's exactly what happens.

Funny thing about the free market is it's free to ignore as many cues as it wants.