The Fast Track To Internet Infamy

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
jamail77 said:
direkiller said:
Westaway said:
I don't understand, isn't this essentially the same joke as "White Guy Defense Force"?
No, it's making fun of this.
http://imgur.com/NFGgOEU
Oh, wow. Here, I thought that was just included to emphasize the ridiculous dismissive attitude you see in these discussions, but no, that list actually exists. O_O
Yes the poe's law is strong in this.
And it is rather sad tbh.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
heterophobic

Surely you jest?

You know thats not a real thing, right?

you tell me, what does this look like?

http://www.donotlink.com/hqE

if you dont like the term heterophobia, i can use the term "discrimination agaisnt straight people" both get the point accross

im tired of all this stupid shit arguing you should feel guilty for being white, for being male and for being straight is so damn idiotic

im not even white and im sick of the people who use that to dismiss the opinion of other people, because i know some white dudes that are pretty cool, their opinion is as important as everybody else's

and judging by the hashtag #notyourshield, im not the only one

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
im tired of all this stupid shit arguing you should feel guilty for being white, for being male and for being straight is so damn idiotic

im not even white and im sick of the people who use that to dismiss the opinion of other people, because i know some white dudes that are pretty cool, their opinion is as important as everybody else's

Who is saying anybody should feel guilty for their state of being? Or dismissing arguments from people for the aforementioned? I've seen between little and none of that kind of silliness here on The Escapist and I don't really visit other areas of the Internet, so it's entirely possible it's out there and I'm just ignorant, but I don't really understand where you're encountering such high quantities of such thinking that you can't just write it off as a vocal, and idiotic, minority.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Yep. That was social commentary all right; up there with Bill Mahr or Dennis Miller... only involving a female character so not misogynistic.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:

if you dont like the term heterophobia, i can use the term "discrimination agaisnt straight people" both get the point accross

I knew it...I fricking knew you guys were no better than the anti racists is code word for anti white guys and those Christians that think their persecuted by gays because of their supposed "agenda" and feel worse around the holiday season because "the War on christmas" from irreligious and secular people! The problem with the "normal" white cis, straight thing is, it appears like this:

The opinion "dismissal" and "privilege checking" is solely for people with the complex that they have an equal/greater view on what is and what is not fair and just for people. "Are people making minimum wage being treated decently? Let's ask their rich, out of touch bosses to see what the 'truth' is. They'll be totally unbiased in their favor" I may not be white or even cisgender necessarily, but I almost certainly not in a situation and society where my race, sex, gender, mental state, economic background, physical state, country of origin, language, or any other thing someone can discriminate against heavily prevents me from good housing, a good job, good friends, safety, good education, or anything else. And as far as I am concerned, I don't want this to be the "easy mode", I want it to be the default setting! Now, I know this is in all likelihood, a wasted effort, and you may easily rebut something I say or comment on something I link below or say you've seen all of this before, but i don't care. i had to get this crap of my chest and your comment was the perfect place to do it.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
Muspelheim said:
Is... Is that a significant reason enough to personal hatred? What he said was effectively "PC gaming is unsubstainable because the home PC phenomenom is disappearing as phones and tablets take their place". A prediction that so far seems to be wrong, but not something to reserve hatred for.
actually no, when he insulted me for wanted more honest game journalism, repeatedly, then i started to hate him, this is just the icing of the cake

the more ive come to know about him, the less i want to see any of his videos
Well, that is at least a reason, although if he has personally insulted you, some idle speculation on PC gaming can't be very meaningful in the long run?

(And I must say, I think you and him might've misunderstood each other at some point. I doubt he truly means to insult everyone who wants honest game journalism. Only comic book villains would want a dishonest journalistic enviroment, and I imagine he's simply failed to express that in a good way. If he has blurted out something rather toxic, which isn't too unlikely, don't take that too personally. Hatred is rather valuable, if nothing else.)

MarsAtlas said:
Caramel Frappe said:
In regards to that image, ever heard of Poe's Law?

In fact, googling the name and checking out the profile tells me that its a troll post.

Posting that as evidence of "these psychos are everywhere!" is like if I made a post saying "queerz and da wiminz need to be thrown off cliffs!!1!" and passing it off as evidence that The Escapist is home to homocidal bigots.

There are people who exist like that, with certain ideologies, but the overwhelming amount of the time you encounter a post like that, its somebody mocking or joking rather than being genuine. Its quite obvious when you actually fact-check posts that people reblog as "evidence" of [insert group of people here] being [insert assholish behavior here].
It's the gift that keep on giving! (That is, pounded keyboards and shouting)

Skatologist

Jan 25, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Party A says "Its not real because I haven't seen it".

Party B responds "Of course you don't see it, its not aimed at you. The only instance when you'd see it is when you're a bystander."

Party A says "bullshit, because, reasons!"

Yeah, I'd say that being dismissive towards anybody who doesn't believe that privilege exists is a fair response, since talking to a brick wall is a waste of time.
Essentially a perfect response. Unfortunately, most people won't get it and tie it to the "emperor's clothes" story for why they won't believe it. "What, I don't see systematic racism/sexism/religious bigotry/homophobia/transphobia/anything else against people who aren't like me, but I see most of it directed at demographics i more fall in line with so we have equal bearing!"

Skatologist

Jan 25, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
You know, there's a moment I remember from when I was very young, about age 8-11. My mother told me "You're a white male, nobody is ever going to give you anything." However, being forced spend a lot of my childhood around bigots, I can say with certainty that I've benefitted for being white. I've benefitted for being perceived as a cisgender guy, for being perceived as heterosexual, for being a native of my country, for not having a disability, for being perceived as a christian. Once you're equipped to see a certain type of bigotry, you'll see it with increasing frequency. Its not that it was never there, its just that you never saw it before.
I recognize the same for a person like me, and it's even just the little things too. I feel privileged I live in an upper middle class neighborhood with a happy non-abusive two parent family and I recognize most people won't ever recognize the comforts of that kind of life. I haven't felt any racial bigotry yet, unless you count a few people calling me "mulatto" and "mutt" behind my back, but i kind of like those words for some odd reason. I'm in one of the least religious states in the country where an atheist served in public office and I'm sure more irreligious people could follow soon. I speak one of the 3 most common languages in the world, meaning I can communicate any message I have to a very large audience if they are willing to listen. I have decent healthcare, meaning I'll probably live a decently long and happy life with only a few hiccups here and there. I don't have this looming threat of bombs dropping in my city or the deadly virus outbreak coming to my village and I think in of itself is a privilege many don't have.

As for what your mom said, I think what she may have meant by something like that is nobody will ever come to your defense. The "give" part is a bit bad when you kind of realize, you don't really need to ask for anymore if you're a white guy except asking "minorities" not to blame you in particular for the sh*t they go through. Also, the "give" part is totally bs, as far as I'm concerned, rights aren't given by those that have them to those that don't, it's for those that have been routinely denied them to be recognized that they have them.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Somebody trying to explain the concept of privilege to people who are themselves very privileged, thus not having witnessed many of the biases present in society.

Oh yes, how could I forget the long history of the world where straight people have been systematically persecuted, often through genocide, by gay people.

Oh wait.

You shouldn't feel guilty about it. I don't feel guilty for being white - there's nothing to feel guilty about. I myself have done nothing to harm anybody in the past. However, to deny that I have benefitted from from an established society that has, for hundreds of years, systematically lifted white people above people with any other racial characteristic, would be laughable. I'm a descendent of white europeans, and I was born into an elevated position that I wouldn't have been if not for my recent ancestors being racist dickheads. Then, there's the fact that because I'm white, I benefit from biases that harm people who aren't white, through my everyday life.

Now if I knowlingly levied the fact that I'm white against somebody who isn't white, then I'd have a reason to feel guilty. But I haven't, because I'm not that level of asshole.

look buddy, i come from a country where slavery was abolished on day one, the moment we became a free republic, we became free in every sense of the word, to my knowledge people have never discriminated each other over here over the skin of their color, ive never known what racism is first hand, one of the few things that makes me proud of being venezuelan at the moment

so im going to tell you the super secret to living in a racism free utopia:

stop freakin' caring about race, is literally that simple, it doesnt matter if you are black, asian, white, etc, you are falling in the pitfall of racism, why? because you no longer see people, you see skin colors

it doesnt matter one bit if you are trying to denounce a race being more "privileged" than another, hell if everyone here complained about european whites opressing mulattos and blacks back in the day, we wouldnt have gotten anywhere, we stoped fucking caring, we gave everyone equal rights, whatever "priviledge" that existed between races disappeared on itself

are you going to cling on the past and keep blaming people for the atrocities of the past based on their race? go on, but you sir have no business talking about equality if you are not going to recognize every person should be treated equally and should be judged based on their actions, not their race/gender/sexual orientation

MarsAtlas said:

Party B responds "Of course you don't see it, its not aimed at you. The only instance when you'd see it is when you're a bystander."

Yeah, I'd say that being dismissive towards anybody who doesn't believe that privilege exists is a fair response, since talking to a brick wall is a waste of time.
for someone who argues non-whites should be treated better, you dont seem to care one bit for anything i have to say

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
shirkbot said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Who is saying anybody should feel guilty for their state of being? Or dismissing arguments from people for the aforementioned? I've seen between little and none of that kind of silliness here on The Escapist and I don't really visit other areas of the Internet, so it's entirely possible it's out there and I'm just ignorant, but I don't really understand where you're encountering such high quantities of such thinking that you can't just write it off as a vocal, and idiotic, minority.
oh dont worry the escapist is for the most part a very cool site

but things like that kotaku article i posted, or all those damn journalists on twitter accussing every voice agaisnt game journalism corruption of being pissy "white straight male nerds", as if being a white male straight man means your opinion is automatically invalid

those things russle my jimmies

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Muspelheim said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Muspelheim said:
Is... Is that a significant reason enough to personal hatred? What he said was effectively "PC gaming is unsubstainable because the home PC phenomenom is disappearing as phones and tablets take their place". A prediction that so far seems to be wrong, but not something to reserve hatred for.
actually no, when he insulted me for wanted more honest game journalism, repeatedly, then i started to hate him, this is just the icing of the cake

the more ive come to know about him, the less i want to see any of his videos
Well, that is at least a reason, although if he has personally insulted you, some idle speculation on PC gaming can't be very meaningful in the long run?

(And I must say, I think you and him might've misunderstood each other at some point. I doubt he truly means to insult everyone who wants honest game journalism. Only comic book villains would want a dishonest journalistic enviroment, and I imagine he's simply failed to express that in a good way. If he has blurted out something rather toxic, which isn't too unlikely, don't take that too personally. Hatred is rather valuable, if nothing else.)
trust me on its own that PC video wouldve been nothing, in fact i wouldve laughed it off, its been proven so wrong i wouldnt give it a second thought

but now that i know the stuff he has said in the previous days, i get this impression of someone eager to jump into every conclusion, no matter how poorly sustained it is

as for being insulted, you be the judge

i couldnt find the most damming tweets, i remember at the start of all of this he was saying stuff like "what would your waifus think if they saw you now"

on top of that his apologies for all of this sound incredibly dishonest

i wont start insulting the guy or anything, but like i said, right now i have 0 interest on his videos

Skatologist

Jan 25, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
look buddy, i come from a country where slavery was abolished on day one, the moment we became a free republic, we became free in every sense of the word, to my knowledge people have never discriminated each other over here over the skin of their color, ive never known what racism is first hand, one of the few things that makes me proud of being venezuelan at the moment

so im going to tell you the super secret to living in a racism free utopia:

stop freakin' caring about race, is literally that simple, it doesnt matter if you are black, asian, white, etc, you are falling in the pitfall of racism, why? because you no longer see people, you see skin colors

it doesnt matter one bit if you are trying to denounce a race being more "privileged" than another, hell if everyone here complained about european whites opressing mulattos and blacks back in the day, we wouldnt have gotten anywhere, we stoped fucking caring, we gave everyone equal rights, whatever "priviledge" that existed between races disappeared on itself

are you going to cling on the past and keep blaming people for the atrocities of the past based on their race? go on, but you sir have no business talking about equality if you are not going to recognize every person should be treated equally and should be judged based on their actions, not their race/gender/sexual orientation

MarsAtlas said:

for someone who argues non-whites should be treated better, you dont seem to care one bit for anything i have to say
Okay, I guess i have to go further. It looks like you are a proponent of color blindness, guess I can't necessarily be against that given your own personal situation, but guess what, color blindness also limits your field of view for actually detecting racially motivated hate crimes. I'm sorry, but MarsAtlas and I live in a country with a sizable amount of people looked at the era of slavery as the good olde days where everyone knew their place, so yeah, rightfully mad.

The fallacy "we gave you equal rights" is a myth, nobody was given anything. those who had systematically been denied rights finally got them and those who still have yet have had their rights protected/acknowledged will do the same.

Who is she blaming also? She's just saying "Look at your viewpoint. Okay can you do that? Put yourself in a worse situation? Can you do that, okay, now imagine how that feels to constantly be feeling that." The reason for focus of the past is because it effects the present. Jim Crow and slavery effects people today, women not being allowed in the armed forces and many jobs until recently has effects today, simply having the government acknowledging LGBT rights does not stop homophobia and transphobia from being present enough in culture as to have them as an "other" and targets for violence and rape.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Skatologist said:
Okay, I guess i have to go further. It looks like you are a proponent of color blindness, guess I can't necessarily be against that given your own personal situation, but guess what, color blindness also limits your field of view for actually detecting racially motivated hate crimes. I'm sorry, but MarsAtlas and I live in a country with a sizable amount of people looked at the era of slavery as the good olde days where everyone knew their place, so yeah, rightfully mad.

The fallacy "we gave you equal rights" is a myth, nobody was given anything. those who had systematically been denied rights finally got them and those who still have yet have had their rights protected/acknowledged will do the same.

Who is she blaming also? She's just saying "Look at your viewpoint. Okay can you do that? Put yourself in a worse situation? Can you do that, okay, now imagine how that feels to constantly be feeling that." The reason for focus of the past is because it effects the present. Jim Crow and slavery effects people today, women not being allowed in the armed forces and many jobs until recently has effects today, simply having the government acknowledging LGBT rights does not stop homophobia and transphobia from being present enough in culture as to have them as an "other" and targets for violence and rape.
and you think the abolition of slavery wasnt also an economical hit for the ruling white class over here, of course there was people that saw those times as "the good olde days", but heres the thing, that generation eventually dies off along with their ideas

human beings exist to give each other happiness, we were born with emphaty, the the capacity to share or recognize emotions experienced by another person, but this capacity only exists as long as we can recognize the other party as a person, we cant emphatize with a wall

thats why in times of war the very first step the government takes to gain loyalty from the population is to de-humanize the enemy, make people forget they are living breathing human being like everyone else, it makes justifying massacres much easier, hell i bet a similar logic can be applied to the act of personifying the state itself, things like uncle sam, etc

when you see someone else as a race instead of people you are making the exact same mistake, in this case ive seen 2 things happen, white people are treated as oppressors, their opinions invalidaded, harassment towards them justified, they are not people, they are the CIS monster! they deserve no quarter!

on the other side of the coin, you have the minorities, who again you dont see as people, when someone claims you should stop harassing white people they tell you have internalized oppression or that you are being weaponized as a minority to the used in the crusade of MRAs or something like that. you are implying the person is incapable of reaching their own conclusions like any other mentally capable human being

color blindness, or whatever you want to call that now, is the only way to reach true equality, noone should be treated better or worse than another person because of their race, apply the same principle to women and non-straight people, and you have a tolerant society

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
Cool beans, but that doesn't help the United States, and privilege encompasses more than just race.
then ignore eveyrthing else as well, treat people like people, dont treat em like walking skin colors, genders or sexual orientations

MarsAtlas said:
I don't care about race, in the sense that all people arre equal. However, there are disparities among people of different races in my country, carryovers from when blatant institutional racism was a thing, not to mention the barely-concealed institutional racism from aspects like the police force at large.
then you care about race, and thats the first freaking problem, the second is discriminating people of different races, telling them what they should feel, what truths they must acknowledge, do you think is fair to say the opinion of a person is invalid because of X, where X is something completely out of their control?

MarsAtlas said:
Except it doesn't disappear overnight. Somebody who is white in the United States is more likely to be middle or upper class than somebody who is black. People who are middle and upper class have better access to education, have more opportunities, have better parents, and are less likely to commit crime. That constantly carries over generation to generation. Its a cycle that sprawls forward through time until something stops it.
of course it wont disappear overnight but pushing it wont help at all, look at gamergate

also correlation does not imply causation, are they "privileged" because they are white or are they just white and privileged, because theres a difference, like saying a lack of pirates in our modern world is causing global warning, statistics prove it

MarsAtlas said:
1) Bigotry still exists and effects people day-in and day-out

and

2) Institutionalized bigotry of the past (and the present) have effects long past their expiration because it affects the development of generations to come

Neither of those are, or rather, should be, inflammatory things to say. In fact, most findings of developmental psychology support the second statement quite strongly.
and you are responding to that acting in the exact same way? it dies off on its own, trust me, drawing lines on the sand only makes it worse

MarsAtlas said:
Well, if you're evidence of "heterophobia" wasn't an article that explains in very simplistic terms what "privilege" is, something that is accepted by nearly all civil rights activists, then I might've had a reason to take what you said seriously. But thats what you posted as evidence of "heterophobia" - an article that was, quite frankly, so tame, yet thorough, that I actually ended up bookmarking it, and your position that "heterophobia" exists is based on taht privilege, the concept that helped spur civil rights activism, doesn't exist, even though there's plenty of evidence from mathematicians and scientists to say that it does.
well you are also ignoring the fact i tell you i dont feel unprivileged because of my race

the whole idea that one race is more priviledge than another and it should be called out is stupid, it only alineates people