The Felicia Day/Destructoid situation

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, being a public figure sucks some times. Hopefully all these stories happening one after the other will get people to stop tweeting and getting fired for making stupid tweets.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
So much delicious internet drama around this week. I feel like I've run out of popcorn.

I think the thread has said all that's need to be said the debating is just falling on weather Ms. Day IS anything of worth (are you people so jaded that you need a list? Doesn't matter if she did the grunting of a female fighter in one obscure Japanese title that never saw the light of day, what he said was ...well kind of shit.) or if the guy deserved to loose his job (gathering by post attitude, yes. I would have said no, but he continued to act like a cock, a self humiliating cock but one that still needed to fling poo around to garner sympathy).

It's a bad state of affairs but the resolution is over with, the outcome is engraved in stone, nothing much more can be done, other than to not call people in the media out without knowing how a social website functions.
(He apparently did not know that his messages would be public to not merely him and Ms. Day)

Ignorance can be a serious shot to the leg guys. Don't let it cripple you either!

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
everythingbeeps said:
If I'm White Knighting, what are you doing? What's the opposite of that? Your campaign against her borders on creepy.
You are not the only one White Knighting here. Yes the guy who started it is quite the asshole. Yes the comment was sexist. But I really don't see why Will Wheaton came into it calling the guy a misogynist. Sexist =/= misogynist. I mean going through Felicia Days Twitter seeing as how this started and pretty much ends there she has said NOTHING on this whole thing besides thanking Dtoid for their tweets about it. while people are all jumping at Ryan. I am pretty damn sure that if people didn't jump at Ryan this all would have just gone by unnoticed. There are no tweets about her feeling hurt about the comments made by Ryan (at least now there might have been when this whole thing started.) But seeing as how she did what everyone should have done which was just ignore it but people had decided to White Knight themselves and jump at Ryan.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MrMorphine said:
Does a man deserve to lose his job for some opinions he holds privately?
The problem is that's not what happened.

A personal, private opinion is an isolated data point. It doesn't matter in the least... until, that is, you begin connecting it to other data points. You then construct a web that, like the old Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, can lead that once-isolated data point into some pretty problematic territory.

The first bad connection: When you have "followers" on Twitter, that means people are listening. It also means those people, while listening, are on the internet.

The second bad connection: That means your opinion will get loose onto the internet. After that, you have control over neither velocity nor vector. This is the big mistake, as it breaks "containment."

The third bad connection: He didn't just whisper this into the Aether. He yelled it directly into Felicia Day's ear. This isn't farting in a room and hoping it dissipates before people notice, this is sniper-farting right into your target's nostrils.

The fourth bad connection: This message then gets out to Felicia Day's followers (who number more than 50, I might note), all of whom are at least mildly fond of her. And, as one might guess, they're also on the internet. This results in another massive, uncontrolled explosion as in point #2, but exponentially worse.

This type of negative PR chain reaction couldn't have been planned better by the Manhattan Project. Here, it doesn't so much matter what he said, and the gender of the target is immaterial (though it does make the mob kick of faster, I'd opine). He said it the wrong way and to the wrong person.

Kaiser0120

Mar 11, 2010
I came into this a little bit late, Perez having already been canned from Destructoid mere hours of me even catching wind of the whole debacle. Twitter feuds are some of the more pathetic and witless engagements two people can possibly partake in (having been in a few myself) and as such, I rarely care about them or the parties involved.

I cannot believe, the outpour of support mister Perez has been receiving sense being fired from Destructoid.

There seems to be a camp out there made up of ?internet pioneers? on sites like Reddit and 4Chan who believe that Destructoid ejected Perez because he was ?merely stating an opinion?. On his personal Twitter account, no less! Such a police state, such an overreaction on the part of Destructoid, to punish this man in such a severe manner for merely speaking his mind in a public forum!

Ignoring, of course, that this wasn?t merely some random schmuck expressing their opinion. This was a journalist for a site dedicated to the field in which this person he criticized is involved. Further, his comments were anything if not disrespectful, rude, and unnecessarily antagonistic. Let?s not ignore his choice words to Wil Wheaton when confronted about his callous tweets:

?Go fuck yourself, you opportunistic puddle of miscarriage soup.?

End quote.

I?m sorry, but that?s not responsible journalism, folks. That is not the way you communicate with two people in general, much less how you should refer to a couple of icons in the community which your company caters to. It reflects poorly not just upon yourself, but the people who employ you. It?s awful business etiquette and honestly, poor social skills in general.

So no, I don?t feel a shred of pity for the man. He knew his job, he knew how he was supposed to compose himself, but he acted like a child and spewed rude, antagonistic bullshit. Of course Destructoid kicked his ass out.

Also, I find that the use of ?white knighting? as a term has become this bullshit catch-all for anyone threatened by Women?s Equality. No, I?m not all that involved in feminism or Women?s Equality. I usually try and let them fight their battles because they?re, more often than not, more than able to. I just cannot believe the reaction from so many people to those defending Felicia Day. (Also, not a Day fan. Don?t dislike her, I just don?t care.)

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
DrVornoff said:
Krion_Vark said:
But seeing as how she did what everyone should have done which was just ignore it but people had decided to White Knight themselves and jump at Ryan.
So here's a question. When you speak in the defense of a woman, is it always White Knighting because she's a woman? Or does it change depending on your motivation for doing so? I just want to make sure that's clear.
Depends on the situation. It seems like Felicia Day didn't even pay this guy any attention and yet a bunch of people jumped up to defend her. That is being a White Knight.
Like I said that at this point in time she makes no mention of anything the guy had said. I could be wrong because tweets can be erased fairly easily. But in the way the situation seems to have played out its a bunch of people jumping up to defend her when she didn't see it as a problem at all.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
This seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. Guy was an asshole (and the 'booth babe' comment promoted him to sexist asshole at that), he got chewed out for it. Even if the essence of his questions seemed reasonable, he communicated them in a completely unprofessional way. Yes, he probably did deserve to get fired, because being a complete arse to somebody with connections in the industry you work in (alongside a strong fan base) is strong evidence that you may not be great journalistic material. Perhaps things might have been different if he had confined his opinion to his own Twitter, but he didn't, and it got noticed by the public, so he has to deal with the consequences.

Whether or not Ms. Day does contribute to the medium is largely irrelevant, but for the record, I'd say that she does (plenty of evidence of that has already been given, from strongly game-themed work like 'The Guild' to her actual contributions as a voice actor, for example). But if Ryan had disagreed, he probably could have questioned her about this in a way that made him less of a walking target.

Tj Sprague

Aug 20, 2010
Well I don't feel like reading through the entire thread so if something like this was already said I apologize but while she has no direct impact on the industry that doesn't mean that she isn't important to the community. She did what most gamers wish they could do, take their love of gaming and make a successful career out of it. I'm a fan of "The Guild" but I do think some fans take it a little too far. This year at Pax East I watched her talk about her new channel on youtube but then sat down and played Mass Effect 3 and had people watch. At that point I found it to be too creepy and left. So, yeah some people take it as far as the point of worship but I'm still a fan of her work.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Here's the thing about Twitter: it's not private. The Internet is not a private place. When you post stuff on Twitter or anywhere on the Internet, it is no longer a private opinion. It is a public statement for the world to read that reflects on you and, in this case, the company you work for. As such, Mr. Perez needs to act like a professional when posting online, no matter the forum.

He did not, and I feel no sympathy for what happened to him.

I'm sure someone already made this point in this long-ass thread, but it's so bizarre to me that people keep screwing their careers over by posting stupid stuff online that I felt compelled to say it again. I mean, you'd think we'd have figured this out by now.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
That may be his private opinion, and whatever, could be right (I don't really know the woman, but I do know that she's more involved with web-shows than gaming).

Regardless, he had no right to publicly bully her on twitter. I mean shoot, from one Google search I can see that she's clearly given far more to the medium than I have.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Krion_Vark said:
everythingbeeps said:
If I'm White Knighting, what are you doing? What's the opposite of that? Your campaign against her borders on creepy.
You are not the only one White Knighting here. Yes the guy who started it is quite the asshole. Yes the comment was sexist. But I really don't see why Will Wheaton came into it calling the guy a misogynist. Sexist =/= misogynist. I mean going through Felicia Days Twitter seeing as how this started and pretty much ends there she has said NOTHING on this whole thing besides thanking Dtoid for their tweets about it. while people are all jumping at Ryan. I am pretty damn sure that if people didn't jump at Ryan this all would have just gone by unnoticed. There are no tweets about her feeling hurt about the comments made by Ryan (at least now there might have been when this whole thing started.) But seeing as how she did what everyone should have done which was just ignore it but people had decided to White Knight themselves and jump at Ryan.
So where, pray tell, is the line that separates "white knighting" from merely defending someone who was unfairly attacked?

And for the record, I've never accused Ryan Whoseywhatsit of being sexist or misogynist. My only problem with him was that his ignorance manifested as him being a fucking asshole.

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
Cheesepower5 said:
Blade_125 said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Hmm... I wonder what Ryan Perez has "provided to gaming." Oh, wait, nobody asks that question because he has a Y chromosome and it's not a good question.
Yeah, far be it to see anybody EVER being cruel to a man. Not like losing his job for a few dumbass comments, that'd never happen.

Would a female games journalist get fired for saying that? Be it to Day, or any man/woman. Not that I agree with his comments, I neither give a fuck who he is nor what he said, and have just the tiniest inkling of who Felicia Day is. That being said, I've heard this question before, so perhaps it's not one man's issues with sexism.
He was fired because he made a stupid comment and the company he worked for was worried it would cost them business if they kept him. That is the only reason. Your comparison doesn't belong in the real business world.
Old post there, read what I've said since. I don't blame Destructoid for firing him, I blame the overblown, way too vehement reaction from... thousands of people not even involved whatsoever.

And you know, one guy said stupid shit and then got sacked. We don't have to be pissed off about everything.
Sorry I'm late to the party (I like to think of it as fasionably late).

So you think that thousands of people are unwarranted in beeing offended by someone's comments? I take it I am unwarranted in disagreeing with you?

It doesn't matter what you think of peoples reactions. They are honest, even if they were based on wrong info (whihc does't seem to be the case). If Destructiod does't want to lose these peoples business then they need to make a decision. I'm not trying to say you are wrong for thinking people maybe over react, but that it has no place in business. A company does what they need to (as you said) and people will ract as they do. Maybe instead the question you should be asking is why are people reacting this way?