The Felicia Day/Destructoid situation

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
TheRookie8 said:
Toilet said:
Felicia Day has done 4 throw away voice overs, a few shitty internet videos, appeared on the VGA's and is essentially a glorified booth babe (and not a very attractive one at that).

Also while we are on the subject people who support or contribute what is advertised as "Gaming Culture" do more harm than good to video games.
You're comment...it's so edgy! I love it!

I especially love your new idea! Don't support or contribute to videogames...to save videogames. Inspired!

Toilet for President!
Damn Right.

"Gaming Culture" is the single worst thing to come out of video games ever. Things like the VGA's, pseudo celebrities like Felicia Day and journalists that specialize on video games (like Geoff Keighley *shudder*) are doing more harm than good and are an embarrassment that. No other entertainment medium has that kind of poisonous vapid bullshit so why should video games? I see why people look down on video games as a whole from the outside; to them video games are essentially the little toddler trying to be like his Dad and bringing out his little plastic and rubber tools to be like Daddy.

It's really quite pathetic.
(In that metaphor Dad is synonymous with Movies).

Colin Bagley

Apr 20, 2011
Isn't simply being a popular gaming personality enough?

I mean, most of us would like to see gaming become more socially acceptable as all the other mainstream media. Having plenty of other stuff that orbits the act of gaming surely builds the outside perception that gaming is a valid thing?

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
DoPo said:
Who is Felicia Day and why should we care about what she contributed to gaming or not?

OK, I actually know who she is, but the question stands - how is she connected to video games and all the rest?
Voice actress, actress, produces and acts in The Guild; a gaming show on the web that made it to cable and has a hilarious music video "Do You Want To Date My Avatar". Funny, cute, does cosplay, is a geek. Doesn't deserve to be crapped on because she is supporting a game. Check imdb.com and look her up.

If you did know who she is how could you not know the video game connections?

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
DrVornoff said:
Krion_Vark said:
But seeing as how she did what everyone should have done which was just ignore it but people had decided to White Knight themselves and jump at Ryan.
So here's a question. When you speak in the defense of a woman, is it always White Knighting because she's a woman? Or does it change depending on your motivation for doing so? I just want to make sure that's clear.
Depends on the situation. It seems like Felicia Day didn't even pay this guy any attention and yet a bunch of people jumped up to defend her. That is being a White Knight.
Like I said that at this point in time she makes no mention of anything the guy had said. I could be wrong because tweets can be erased fairly easily. But in the way the situation seems to have played out its a bunch of people jumping up to defend her when she didn't see it as a problem at all.
Just because you erase it doesn't mean the person you pissed off doesn't have a screen copy. Once its out, it is out.

walhallafive

Jan 24, 2010
What did Sly Stallone add to boxing, or Sean Connery to spying, or Tom Cruise to flying jets for the Navy? They told the story. Maybe not the whole story, and maybe a glorified version of it, but that is there job. They, Felica Day included, are artist. Actors and actresses, writers and directors, that take real life and put it on film and paper. Isn't that something? She adds to gaming culture the same way a journalist or video editor working for a gaming website or trailer maker would. Is her contribution the same as a game developer's? No. But gaming culture would be awfully boring and handicapped if it wasn't full of different kinds of creative thinking.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I don't think I quite understand. She is an actor/writer. Her stuff reflects geek/nerd culture, it adds to the entertainment industry in general, she has nothing to do with the gaming industry. He's putting an Apple in an Orange field and saying "YOU DON'T HELP MAKE ORANGE JUICE!"

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Let's ask the same question about Tobuscus, or Roosterteeth or whatever. It doesn't matter if she contributes anything. She doesn't have to.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Blade_125 said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Blade_125 said:
Cheesepower5 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Hmm... I wonder what Ryan Perez has "provided to gaming." Oh, wait, nobody asks that question because he has a Y chromosome and it's not a good question.
Yeah, far be it to see anybody EVER being cruel to a man. Not like losing his job for a few dumbass comments, that'd never happen.

Would a female games journalist get fired for saying that? Be it to Day, or any man/woman. Not that I agree with his comments, I neither give a fuck who he is nor what he said, and have just the tiniest inkling of who Felicia Day is. That being said, I've heard this question before, so perhaps it's not one man's issues with sexism.
He was fired because he made a stupid comment and the company he worked for was worried it would cost them business if they kept him. That is the only reason. Your comparison doesn't belong in the real business world.
Old post there, read what I've said since. I don't blame Destructoid for firing him, I blame the overblown, way too vehement reaction from... thousands of people not even involved whatsoever.

And you know, one guy said stupid shit and then got sacked. We don't have to be pissed off about everything.
Sorry I'm late to the party (I like to think of it as fasionably late).

So you think that thousands of people are unwarranted in beeing offended by someone's comments? I take it I am unwarranted in disagreeing with you?

It doesn't matter what you think of peoples reactions. They are honest, even if they were based on wrong info (whihc does't seem to be the case). If Destructiod does't want to lose these peoples business then they need to make a decision. I'm not trying to say you are wrong for thinking people maybe over react, but that it has no place in business. A company does what they need to (as you said) and people will ract as they do. Maybe instead the question you should be asking is why are people reacting this way?
Nothing wrong with being fashionably late, I guess.

There's a difference between an unwarranted response and an overblown response. You can disagree with me, and phrase it at least half as well as you and about everyone on this thread, and it's totally different from putting "YOU COCK-LOVING ************ HOW DARE YOU HAVE AN OPINION I'LL RIP YOUR LUNGS OUT!!!!!!!" That's overblown. I can't help but feel had he just aimed comments like that, hell even if he gave some gendered insult like "DICK WIELDING GAY LORD" he would've just been told off. Unless Will Wheaton is gay, then there's a whole 'nother can of offensive bullshit.

I can see how he was fired, bad PR is bad PR, but it's as much the fans' faults as Destructoid's or Perez', unless I'm wrong and just making a few comments that didn't go anywhere would still get him fired. I'd ask instead why the reaction was what it was, but I have my own theory. Sexism's been on everyone's minds lately, so he's probably getting caught up in the shit storm. If this were like 3 months ago it probably would've been half the issue it's become.

In any case, I hope nobody's too offended by any of this. It's sad seeing stupid shit breed a ton of hate.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Darkness665 said:
DoPo said:
Who is Felicia Day and why should we care about what she contributed to gaming or not?

OK, I actually know who she is, but the question stands - how is she connected to video games and all the rest?
Voice actress, actress, produces and acts in The Guild; a gaming show on the web that made it to cable and has a hilarious music video "Do You Want To Date My Avatar". Funny, cute, does cosplay, is a geek. Doesn't deserve to be crapped on because she is supporting a game. Check imdb.com and look her up.

If you did know who she is how could you not know the video game connections?
Personally, I like "Game On", "A Christmas Raid Carol" and "The Guild Night before Christmas".

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
There are a couple of things. I think that he didn't need to loose his job because he has the right to express his opinion, however I do think that he could've worked on the delivery. I mean, Glorified booth babe is not the best way to start a discussion. Besides, if Felicia Day likes videogames and is a pretty girl so people like her, isn't that enough? What does he do for the industry anyway? I'm sure every single person reading this is a part of the industry as much as Day just because we play and love games.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
deth2munkies said:
Nobody asks a question like that expecting an answer. It's rhetorical, a concept you don't seem to understand. The only reason he posted that was to either piss of Felicia Day or to rile up fanboys. He did both, but he also pissed off a lot more people than just fanboys.

Some of the white-knighting has gotten out of hand, but the guy deserves to be fired if he can't understand the consequences of his actions and/or do a little freaking research.
My reactions at the time was a bit rash and volatile I'll admit to it. I didn't know the man's prior history of saying stupid shit nor the fact he worked in journalism. On those accounts I've accepted that maybe being fired wasn't as unjustified as I previously thought.

But I still believe in the industry--any industry really, people should be given the chance to apologize and be forgiven at least once. To be immediately terminated and not given any chance to redeem oneself is not only harsh but straight up cruel in my book, and it does nothing but build passive aggressive animosity and fear within a work place.

Question? How would you feel if you were constantly monitors for every word you said and not given a chance to explain yourself when you fucked-up. I mean isn't human nature to fuck-up some times? And to be penalized for that--well? I don't know what to say.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Nomanslander said:
deth2munkies said:
Nobody asks a question like that expecting an answer. It's rhetorical, a concept you don't seem to understand. The only reason he posted that was to either piss of Felicia Day or to rile up fanboys. He did both, but he also pissed off a lot more people than just fanboys.

Some of the white-knighting has gotten out of hand, but the guy deserves to be fired if he can't understand the consequences of his actions and/or do a little freaking research.
My reactions at the time was a bit rash and volatile I'll admit to it. I didn't know the man's prior history of saying stupid shit nor the fact he worked in journalism. On those accounts I've accepted that maybe being fired wasn't as unjustified as I previously thought.

But I still believe in the industry--any industry really, people should be given the chance to apologize and be forgiven at least once. To be immediately terminated and not given any chance to redeem oneself is not only harsh but straight up cruel in my book, and it does nothing but build passive aggressive animosity and fear within a work place.

Question? How would you feel if you were constantly monitors for every word you said and not given a chance to explain yourself when you fucked-up. I mean isn't human nature to fuck-up some times? And to be penalized for that--well? I don't know what to say.
There's a difference between every word said and every word said PUBLICLY. I don't care about your opinions when you talk amongst friends or in private places, but if you put something out publicly that I take issue with, I have every right to respond.

If a politician got drunk one night and posted on a blog or said in an impromptu interview that he honestly hates black people, do you expect him to get reelected? If you're going to say something to everyone, you damn well better be willing to defend it. If you can't, don't say it at all.

marche45

Nov 16, 2008
Personally,i've never heard of any of these people before today(though i've heard her work in New Vegas.)
Probably going to get some flak for this,but here are my two cents.

1. If your going to have an opinion,thats fine.However if you post it on a social media site,you've got to realize that it could reflect badly on your employers(especially if you are a journalist.)He is a grown man so i expect him to take responsibility for that.

2. I'd like to think that anyone who purchases games(or play them really) contributes to the game industry as a whole.As a voice actor she has actually contributed to the creative process,that is a contribution in my book.

3. Does it matter if she contributed or not?Its not like she proclaims herself to be the messiah of gaming(Though admittedly know little about her) but what i do know is that her main field is acting.I don't really understand the dudes point.

4. It doesn't seem all that sexist.No,Will Wheaton and the like don't receive this type of rude behaviors from random journalists.Then again,i don't remember the last time somebody went on twitter and went on a random tirade against anybody in the industry.

Well thats about it.
*Flame suit on*

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
deth2munkies said:
Nomanslander said:
deth2munkies said:

There's a difference between every word said and every word said PUBLICLY. I don't care about your opinions when you talk amongst friends or in private places, but if you put something out publicly that I take issue with, I have every right to respond.

If a politician got drunk one night and posted on a blog or said in an impromptu interview that he honestly hates black people, do you expect him to get reelected? If you're going to say something to everyone, you damn well better be willing to defend it. If you can't, don't say it at all.
No, I agree there. Like I said I didn't know if the man was a journalist, but if you're job has nothing to do with your opinion and how they can effect your job and people around you (like a politicians would), than how does it matter? If I'm a game tester and I speak negatively towards Obama's administrations, should I be fired over it? Even though politics can be a very touchy subject matter in general like religion.

But it's true, the man was working in journalism, so his opinion does hold weight. But even then, I just believe people should be given a chance to apologize. =/

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Nomanslander said:
deth2munkies said:
Nomanslander said:
deth2munkies said:

No, I agree there. Like I said I didn't know if the man was a journalist, but if you're job has nothing to do with your opinion and how they can effect your job and people around you (like a politicians would), than how does it matter? If I'm a game tester and I speak negatively towards Obama's administrations, should I be fired over it? Even though politics can be a very touchy subject matter in general like religion.

But it's true, the man was working in journalism, so his opinion does hold weight. But even then, I just believe people should be given a chance to apologize. =/
Apologizing doesn't absolve you of guilt, you still face consequences for your words and actions. The argument over the punishment being too severe is up to you, but given the internet's penchant for backlash towards this sort of behavior, a business that makes its entire revenue stream off the internet would be remiss to keep a person like him around.

Besides, he DID apologize on Twitter several times.