The Final Showdown Has Begun - BioWare versus Mojang

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Okay...props to Mojang for going this far and beating the snot out of EVERYONE. I think I am gonna jump on the wtf-how-did-they-beat-valve-when-mojang-still-hasn't-put-out-an-actual-game though.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Hah, great April Fool's day joke. Mojang and Bioware in the final round. Ha! Good one... Oh... Wait, you're serious... Balls.

Well, I guess I did pretty well up till now... Still hope I can get a laptop out of the deal.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
ToonLink said:
If that shitty Minecraft game wins this, I'm leaving the escapist...
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

OT: Good for Mojang, they really did put out the best game of the year. Remember folks, we don't care what Nintendo or Bioware did ten years ago. This is recent memory.
Minecraft in it's first iteration was released in 2009, it's in beta now so either way you look at it Minecraft was either released 2 years ago or hasn't been released yet. I agree that Minecraft is the best recent game out there but this is not a bracket for "best game of the year" it's a bracket for favorite developers and if it was then Minecraft would not be eligible.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Appleshampoo said:
Bioware beat Blizzard?

Wow, just goes to show you can throw out shit like Dragon age 2 and still be loved the world over.
This isn't a popularity contest. I know a developer with just Minecraft under the belt vying for the top spot indicates otherwise, but that's because people, in general, are silly smurfs.

As for Bioware vs Blizzard, I would question how you could ever give the nod to Blizzard as the better developer here:

Since late 2007, Bioware has released 2 Mass Effect games across 2.5 platforms (-.5: no ME1 on PS3), 2 Dragon Age games across 3 platforms, and is on the cusp of releasing the Old Republic.

Blizzard has two(?) WoW expansions for 1 platform, and 1/3 of Starcraft II for 1 platform. Oh, and they tried to kill anonymity on the internet... those were good times. So yea, Blizzard can go cry on their diamond encrusted gold yacht while they pump out soul devouring WoW mounts. ;)

BIOWARE RUUUULES!

- An objective, non-biased fan. No, really. This isn't a Commander Shepard hoodie I'm wearing. I don't force my cat to cosplay as Death's Hand, and I certainly don't write fan fiction about Darth Revan. As if.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
AugustFall said:
Catalyst6 said:
ToonLink said:
If that shitty Minecraft game wins this, I'm leaving the escapist...
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

OT: Good for Mojang, they really did put out the best game of the year. Remember folks, we don't care what Nintendo or Bioware did ten years ago. This is recent memory.
Minecraft in it's first iteration was released in 2009, it's in beta now so either way you look at it Minecraft was either released 2 years ago or hasn't been released yet. I agree that Minecraft is the best recent game out there but this is not a bracket for "best game of the year" it's a bracket for favorite developers and if it was then Minecraft would not be eligible.
That's debatable, depending on what you define as "development" and "release". It only really caught on a bit before beta release, which was far into 2010, which I'll call a tentative release.

So, yes, you're correct in some ways. Me, I'd still call it as part of 2010.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
it'd be nice to see mojang win i think
i mean i'm equally as sick of them progressing through this and knocking out other preferred developers as the next man
but they've come this far, might as well win rather than bioware again

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
it's pretty hilarious to see ppl get bent out of shape over a web based popularity contest, expecting the results to have any kind of real world meaning.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
TheMaddestHatter said:
Goddammit.

Bioware is a shitty developer, okay? Yeah, they made some games I liked in the past, but they never should have beat Bethesda, and they sure as hell shouldn't have gotten past Blizzard, the best developer in the industry.

And Mojang beating Valve? Minecraft is great and all guys, but it's muggle-freaking Valve! You know, those guys that created Portal, made Zombie Games awesome again, and then rebuilt the competitive shooter? And they lose out to a company that HASN'T EVEN RELEASED A FULL VERSION OF IT'S THRICE-CURSED GAME YET?

Christ, this match-up makes my head hurt.

You're absolutely right, you know. Yes, Bioware has made some great games in their day, but besides Mass Effect 1 & 2, what good game have they ever made???? That's right, nothi- oh, right. Dragon Age.

Ok, ok, but outside of Mass Effect and Dragon Age, WHAT HAS BIOWARE EVER DO--- oh, Jade Empire?

Fine, fine. Beyond Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, the upcoming Old Republic, and every other amazing game they've ever made, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!?!?

Sonic the Hedgehog, you say? Oh, bug off. You can't be a great developer when all you've done is made a stupid handheld game about a rodent. Bloody wankers.

Daquin

Mar 31, 2009
I'm....not very happy with this match-up being the end, but I saw it coming (I had my idealized bracket with Obsidian winning, and no, I do not apologize for that). The way I see it, Bioware has really not done very well in terms out outright quality other than with the Mass Effect games (which are strongly written and well done). Dragon Age 1, 2, and Awakening, all just seemed like they were not really trying their hardest. You could get a whiff of coasting with Origins, but the smell is overpowering in DAII.

As for Mojang, I do like Minecraft, but I had them losing early on because, let's face it, they haven't done much. They have one game and it isn't even out of beta. Valve built a system with Steam that pretty much every major market has copied.

So, I guess I'm not voting this round, not because it is a hard decision but because both companies really shouldn't be in the position they are in considering the competition.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
The.Bard said:
You're absolutely right, you know. Yes, Bioware has made some great games in their day, but besides Mass Effect 1 & 2, what good game have they ever made???? That's right, nothi- oh, right. Dragon Age.

Ok, ok, but outside of Mass Effect and Dragon Age, WHAT HAS BIOWARE EVER DO--- oh, Jade Empire?

Fine, fine. Beyond Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, the upcoming Old Republic, and every other amazing game they've ever made, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!?!?

Sonic the Hedgehog, you say? Oh, bug off. You can't be a great developer when all you've done is made a stupid handheld game about a rodent. Bloody wankers.
You're completely right you know. How could I forget the "bored me to tears space-wankery" that was Mass Effect? And Dragon Age, yes Dragon Age, that game they made instead of making a good sequel to Baldur's Gate. How did the whole DA2 thing go again? Absolutely fantastic, right?

Jade Empire was totally stellar and not an obscure piece that gets a rare pity mention for good effort. Knight's of the Old Republic was not completely ruined by a sub-par sequel and an increasingly desperate looking MMO cash-in. The fact that both of these games are more than five years old is completely irrelevant and says nothing about the studio's intellectual bankruptcy.

But hey, they still totally deserved to beat Blizzard. It's not like Blizzard IS the MMO market right now and everyone who hates WoW just desperately wishes that they're favorite victim that Blizz destroyed without even batting an eye had actually succeeded. It's not like the re-created the Modern RTS to the point that it's been turned into a sport. It's not like they are the reason the Hack n' Slash, randomized dungeon crawl genre even exists. Pfft, it's not like they did any of that and more. We'll just quietly forget the fact that if it wasn't for Blizzard and Valve, PC gaming would have died a slow, painful death (that Bioware is perfectly happy to help usher in, mind you)by now.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Appleshampoo said:
Bioware beat Blizzard?

Wow, just goes to show you can throw out shit like Dragon age 2 and still be loved the world over.
Dragon Age 2 is the best game by Bioware from the last few years.

Also Mojang being in the finals is a joke. 1 buggy, blocky game that everyone is playing wrong because the right way sucks that wasn't even released yet and suddenly you are fighting Bioware after defeating Nintendo, Namco, Epic and freakin Valve on the way to the final. Also where's that guy that kept spamming that Mojang didn't use Zynga tactics to get to the finals? After last round it did.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I'm going to have to side with BioWare on this. Minecraft is enjoyable, to be sure, but it only holds my attention for about 45 minutes at a time. I've built an underground bunker and a sandstone tower, and now I have absolutely nothing else to do. I feel like I've done everything knowing full well that I haven't.

BioWare's games, like Mass Effect, can keep me engaged for hours on end because they have the sort of gameplay I can immerse myself in. Minecraft simply doesn't cut it for me. Sorry, Notch, but I have to go with BioWare unless we can have firearms to keep the Creepers away.