The First Fallout 4 Details Revealed - Update

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
The player is asked to design a pair of parents, who then enter their vault and their child exits the vault 200 years later? Woohoo! Ghoul playable characters!
No, you choose to either play the father or the mother. Why you survived 200 years in that vault will most likely be a story spoiler. At least that's how it looked in the gameplay trailer, you can google them, they look pretty cool

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I know better then to have high expections. I know better I know it damn I want to be hyped.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Bat Vader said:
November 11th? That feels a bit to soon for some reason. I thought it wouldn't be out till 2016.
Then don't get it until 2016 if you're that concerned. No doubt the game will be buggy as hell on release regardless of how long it's spent in development.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
I want less voice acting in these games, not more dammit.

Relatively minor gripe aside, this sounds cool. Especially the base building idea - I always felt that a neat feature for Oblivion would have been to rebuild Kvatch after the gate closed - it's nice to see something like that finally implemented. I wonder how it's going to be populated though? Like, do we get to customize the population? I'd like to see something like an FTL-esque system where you get to name your townspeople and assign them certain jobs. Though I suppose that might be asking a lot. At the very least, I just hope they don't half-ass it.

It's also nice to see that it's coming out pretty soon. Hrrm... I hope my laptop can run it, otherwise I won't be playing the game for yonks regardless...

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
A fucking voiced protagonist with a set past that you cant change, with a main quest that probably involves saving a goddamn baby I don't give two shits about.

Great. Into the fucking trash it goes. When does Obsidian get to make another Fallout game?

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Halyah said:
At least you can brag about playing one of the oldest characters in Fallout lore. That counts for -something- hopefully.
There's probably more than a few ghouls in the Wastelands who would argue with that. Then they might try to kill you..

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
All I want to know is HOW is the player emerging from a vault 200 years later?

Is it going to be a long long long decedent of your original char? Or are they going to sleep-freeze him\her?
Is sleep-freezing even a thing?

In fallout 3 I can vaguely remember these sort of time-beds where you fell asleep in and where put into a simulation of some sort, but even then you weren't really frozen so you still aged (I think?)

The voice doesn't really bother me because mods, It should be simple to remove the voices.
Dialogue wheel sounds stupid, unless they come up with a way that doesn't limit you to like 6 or so options it really sounds like they're trying to hard to be Bioware and forgetting what they're game is about.

Hopefully it's optimized, Skyrim ran pretty fine on most PC's and it's using the same engine. (Hopefully modified so it wont be as buggy)

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
mad825 said:
Bat Vader said:
November 11th? That feels a bit to soon for some reason. I thought it wouldn't be out till 2016.
Then don't get it until 2016 if you're that concerned. No doubt the game will be buggy as hell on release regardless of how long it's spent in development.
Except I'm not concerned nor did I ever say in my post that I was concerned. Usually when a game is announced it is announced a year or more before the release date. That's why I said it felt to soon.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Conrad Zimmerman said:
The character's psychological profile will be created through events these parents later experience in this preamble, such as a conversation with a Vault-Tec employee who visits the house to offer a space in a Vault.

Eventually, the air raid sirens begin to blare, and it's off to Vault 111, where the player will emerge 200 years later as the only survivor.
WAit, don't tell me I'm the only one who is bothered by this. Just think about it. Your parents (mom and dad) are alive before the nukes start dropping.
They go int the vault and you, their son/daughter , come out 200 years later. That's 200 years between 2 generations.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Dalek Caan said:
Halyah said:
At least you can brag about playing one of the oldest characters in Fallout lore. That counts for -something- hopefully.
There's probably more than a few ghouls in the Wastelands who would argue with that. Then they might try to kill you..
You'd be almost as old as Harold except that they killed him in a stupid nonsensical quest.

The biggest thing I'm seeing from this game is "Wow that's a whole lot of interesting tools and assets that i can't wait for obsidian to use and not Bethesda"

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
The presence of the dialogue wheel with only 4 options makes me very worried about character dialogue and story choices - of course since they have a voiced protag now it would cost a helluva lot of money to have him record a decent amount of dialogue.

Those innovations they revealed - crafting, house building, follower commands, face sculpting, etc - are either just there to add fluff or were already features that existed in FO3 mods.

The lack of a skill system is worrying, as it seems now you just need to level-up perks for arbitrary boundaries on what you can or can't do; although this isn't all that different from Fallout 3's skills system with how certain skills could only be used at certain levels (you need to be level 50 to unlock this door). Gunplay looks alright I guess but other than there's not much I can comment on. Maybe they could have showed more gameplay if they hadn't had that concept art slideshow.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Hmm. Do I really want to pay an extra $60 for a giant, ugly, ill-fitting PIP Boy when I could just simulate it on a smart phone?

Whelp, I guess I just answered my own question.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I do like the idea of the main character being a "survivor" from before the bombs dropped. It would give them a level of uniqueness to the rest of the wastes while also having a jarring perspective on how things should be.

I'm pretty excited and am looking forward to the directions so far.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Genocidicles said:
A fucking voiced protagonist with a set past that you cant change, with a main quest that probably involves saving a goddamn baby I don't give two shits about.

Great. Into the fucking trash it goes. When does Obsidian get to make another Fallout game?
I'm still gonna play it, because I've liked every Fallout so far (Haven't played BoS, shhh), but this. I always play a gay character in Fallout New Vegas, is that not gonna be an option this time? I hate "Muh family" plots, so I'd better be able to sacrifice that child for the greater good.

Hazy said:
I have a few problems with it. They're not numerous, but they're big ones:

-Voice acted protagonist makes it impossible to self-insert. So now it's no longer YOUR character. Instead you're just controlling some random guy.

-The protagonist starts out as married, giving you a lot of pre-conceived notions about how he acts before the game even begins (again, not your character anymore). It makes you feel like you're stepping into the save file of someone else's Fallout game and not making one your own.

-The dialogue wheel limits the number of dialogue options available to three, which isn't ever good.

-The Pip Boy animations. Those Goldeneye 3D models for objects look terrible and the pop-ups are going to get annoying very, very quickly.
Plus all this. Especially
-The protagonist starts out as married, giving you a lot of pre-conceived notions about how he acts before the game even begins (again, not your character anymore). It makes you feel like you're stepping into the save file of someone else's Fallout game and not making one your own.