The Five games that define you as a gamer

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
1.Fire Emblem (GBA)
My favourite game of all time. its depth of character development and strategy kept me going for a long time. It's amazing in almost every way and it is aging gracefully.

2.Battlefield 3
The ultimate outlet for my inner warrior

3.Halo:Combat Evolved
In my mind, it still is the most satisfying installment, despite numerous sequels and innovations since, this game still stands tall on its immersive campaign and its gorgeous soundtrack.

4.Spec Ops: The Line
The counterbalanced antidote to the modern military shooter, it's one of the deepest stories ever told.

5.Command And Conquer: Red Alert 2
Zany, corny, and a masterpiece of nostalgic wish fulfillment.It is showing signs of aging, but it is still worth a look.

Honorable Mentions: Portal, FTL, Limbo, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Medal Of Honor (PS).

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
So hard to limit myself to 5...

1. Duke Nukem 3D, played it with my Dad on his laptop even though I was only four, the game that started it all for me.

2. Pokemon Blue, first game i got into in a major way even if i had no idea what i was doing.

3. Total Annihilation/ Red alert , I genuinely cannot remember which i played first, whichever it was it was the game that first got me into strategy, one of my favorite genre's today.

4. Halo, i kinda lapsed as a gamer half-way through the Playstation era, it was Halo that got me back into gaming in a big way, i still remember playing it for the first time and being completely blown away, must have re-played the single-player at least a dozen times.

5. KOTOR, not only did it introduce me to RPG's another of my favourite genre's , its story was one of the first that showed me that games were capable of having stories that could impact upon me emotionally.

pvaglueman123

Aug 6, 2009
Let's think here...

1. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
This was likely the first game i ever played and still have my working copy to this day. There is nothing about that game that i didn't like, even if i was 6 and it kicked my arse.

2. Jade Empire
This was the game that made me fall in love with Narrative in Games and began my ongoing love affair with BioWare. The setting, the characters, the combat. Everything about it just made me love it. Its a shame that it didn't do better, actually, that game needs a sequel.

3. The Mass Effect Trilogy
I've played the trilogy about 3 times now and every single time it works. The story is brilliant, the characters are fantastic and the music is top notch. Even now, I think of Shepard saying goodbye to Liara on the Normandy as its blowing up or Mordin making the ultimate sacrifice on Tuchanka, or indeed Ash/Kaiden doing the same and i get emotional. Brilliant series of games

4. The Halo Games
When i first got my Xbox, it came bundled with a copy of Halo CE and Midtown Madness 3. Naturally (Since i despised driving games) I tried Halo first. My God. For the first FPS i'd ever played, it took my breath away. I still, to this day, am a massive fan of the Halo franchise. With Halo 4 just come out, i can fall in love with it all over again.

5.Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
When i was first getting into games, i played this game after i played Jade Empire. After playing this, I basically fell in love with story all over again. This was the game that made me a game enthusiast, this was the game that made me think "This is the Entertainment Medium that will take the world by storm".

El Chiwawa Loco

May 5, 2011
Pokemon Yellow ( the first game I ever played, and one i played with my dad all the time when I was 4)

Crash Bandicoot 1 (the first game I ever played on the ps1, and my personal favorite game of all time)

Rachet & Clank 3 (The first game me and my best freind ever bonded over)

Left 4 Dead (the game that convinced me to join the PS3/360/Wii generation and buy an xbox, and a game I still play today [though on pc])

Uncharted 2 (the game that, several years after it was released, convinced me to sell my xbox and get a ps3)

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
1. Legend of Zelda: OoT
What got me into games.

2. Garrys Mod
What got me into roleplaying

3. World of Warcraft
MMO stuff

4. Neverwinter Nights 2

5. Oblivion

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
As sad, steady curve in the decline in my gaming based ethics can be inferred from this list:-

Civilisation - What got me into gaming

Command and Conquer: Red Alert - What got me into RTS's

Europa Universalis II - What got me into Imperialism

Medieval Total war II - What got me into mass murder

Hearts of Iron II - What got me into playing as Hitler

blueshark217

Aug 15, 2009
I thank my father for being a gamer, and thus making me a gamer playing the games he bought for himself which include...

Star Wars Jedi Knights II Jedi Outcast
setForceAll 9 anyone? cheats made this game hilariously fun when I was little, and was still fun eight years later when I beat it without.

Command and Conquer Generals
I completely sucked at it, and kinda didn't get it, but it was fast and fun.

Grand Theft Auto Vice city
I asked my dad why I was killing police officers, and he said they weren't real so its okay. Thats how its done.

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
I was in the fifth grade when my dad brought this game home. My first multi-player fps.

Super Smash brothers melee
My cousins and I used to play for hours whenever they'd come over, cause I was the cool cousin with the gamecube.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Sooo, let me see

1) Contra- first game ever, the day we won the game with my brother was the one of the best days in my life
2) C&C:Tiberian Sun- my first entry into PC gaming :) good times... (you know that you can't simply assault enemy without pretty base :D )
3) Neverwinter Nights- my first entry into RPGs and user created content (I still consider it one of the best games ever, with the best inventory system ever done- seriously weight and space limited inventory with different size items and boxes/bags, only thing it lacked was ability to flip items for 90° like in DeusEx:HumanRevolution)
4) TES3:Morrowind- I love 1st person POV games, especially if they are RPGs with big open world and a lot of lore.
5) System Shock 2- I love 1st person POV games, especially if they are RPGs with big open world and a lot of lore AND sci-fi based :D

I think that's about it :)
(although I'm pretty sure nobody cares and most probably nobody will even read this)

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
The games that define myself as a gamer? Well well... What do we have to say...

1. Halo CE. Lets just say, if I never played it, I wouldn't be bothered to love you all right now.

2. Paper Mario: TTYD. This game sealed my fate into my video gaming career, to say to least.

3. Luigi's Mansion. How could I forget the game that united so many laughs? Honestly...

4. Doom. Just a little lovely game... That forever annoyed me with puzzles until I got a migraine.

5. ???. Why should I tell you the game that started my video gaming reign?

BrerRabbit

Nov 8, 2012
Max Payne 2
great sequal and a great film noir style. I loved the relationship between Max and the russian. "I was supposed to be the hero..." perfect dying words

Mass Effect
true character development and custimization

Star Lancer
best space fighter game i ever played.

Alien vs Predator 2
possibly the best multiplayer game in terms of straight fun and true panic moments ever. Survivor Mode

Rainbow Six Raven Shield
Multiplayer Co-Op Terrorist Hunt
we used to set this to max difficulty with maximum # terrorists and not move on to the next map until the 5time of us could get all the way through it without any casualties. Loved the tactics and planning and challenge.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
5)Halo 3. The first FPS I played online in a serious way. I think I've sunk more time into TF2, but I never played it with friends. Whereas nearly every time I went on Halo 3 I was playing with several of my buddys. Plus splitscreen is always awesome.

4)Gunman Chronicles. The first FPS I played and the first game I ever finished.

3)Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge. The first RTS I had fun playing, and the first game I played online (but never in a major way).

2)Final Fantasy 7. I sunk hours into this game at the time. The first game I played where I actually paid attention to the storyline too.

1)Deus Ex. My favourite game of all time. I go back to it about once a year, and I'm still finding new ways to get through the levels, or new people to talk to.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
NinjaSniperAssassin said:
Wacky Races
An old PC kart racer, similar to Mario Kart. Until I was 10 the only game system I had was my parents' computer, and this was the game I played far more than any other. It was the game that got me into videogames.
Do you mean Wacky Races or Wacky Wheels?

OT: Hm. Let's see here.

1) Sonic the Hedgehog

The first three Sonic games on the Genesis were probably what I played more than anything else while I was growing up. The controls, the levels, the soundtrack, the speed, everything about it was just so engrossing. And I continue to follow the games to this day.

2) Banjo-Tooie

Banjo-Kazooie was a great game. But the entire way through, you still feel just like you're playing a game. It's amusing, it's cute, it's fun, but it's obviously a game with the disjointed levels, literally artificial doors, etc.

Banjo-Tooie took the base that the first game set and built off of it, creating a much more organic game-world with inter-connected levels, more natural progression and more context for the "worlds" you were visiting. The controls were still top-notch, the additions were numerous, and the game was just so much more epic. A shining example of 3D platformers and the mind-set developers held back then.

3) Final Fantasy VII

The first grand RPG I ever played. It was overwhelming. I'd never played a game on the same scale before, and I always wanted to keep playing on just to see what would happen next. Also, without it I never would've played Final Fantasy IX, which I'd hold up as one of my favorite games that I've ever played.

4) Pokemon Red & Blue

The first handheld games I ever played. 150 different unique and interesting monsters, all of which I could catch, train, and use myself in battle? Set in a massive, sprawling world all packed onto this portable system that just ran off of batteries?

5) World of Warcraft

Over the twenty years I've been playing video games, I don't think I've put more hours into any game than WoW. I've met lots of interesting people, made a few friends, and just generally had a lot of fun over the five years since I began playing.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Pokemon (series):
this series whole is the major reason of my love of gaming *waves hand towards giant bin of pokemon toys and a large pile of plush dolls. I have been playing sense red and blue and I still love it.

Skyrim:
Dragons and freedom to roam thousands of miles and do crazy shit like fill a house with cheese. oh skyrim I love you! and bethsida are you spying on me?(also its the first game I ever bought DLC for)

Zelda (series):
once agin going back to my old GB links awaking was my first zelda title I also love zelda for its challenges and its art I often forget to eat when a new one comes out (expt you skyward you suck)

L4D:
a combonation of my two loves gaming and zombie flicks. it helped launch me into PC gaming and more adult games in genaral.

spyro (triogly): spyro the dragon was my first console game I instantly loved it. also notable spyro ripto's rage was the first game I 100% completed (well first without a cheating device)

Captain_Dreadmor

Nov 7, 2012
when i think about it the only ones that i feel defined me as a gamer are age of mythologies age of empires 2 and fable

edit: when i think hard i remember playing a lot of star wars jedi knight 2 and battlefront 2

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Kingdom Hearts - First game I truly felt something for, there was emotion in this one. Also, I love the mashup of disney films and FF characters, I am an animation nerd and it is just incredible to look at these games and their art styles.

Ratchet And Clank- the first second and third are some of my favorite games of all time, some of the greatest memories I've ever had on a christmas

F.E.A.R - First game to actually scare me, still love every moment of this game.

Bioshock- honestly this was the game that helped me grow up, I feel like it helped me get out of the mentality that games are just fun and can have a cool story, it actually made me think.

Strangers Wrath- I don't care what anyone says, this is one of the best games ever made, it had a great, unique premise, a fun set of systems for combat and movement, it had an interesting and diverse set of characters, and you had a crossbow that shot animals. Fuck yes.

Honestly I'm not certain this list is entirely correct with Ratchet, I think Jak or Sly could have also been there. I think Ratchet was the one I spent the most time with.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
KotOR II: Ohhh I went there, I love the Exiles story and Darth Traya would kick Vader and Sidious' collective arses!

GTA San Andreas: The game that changed how I looked at gaming, no more "over in two second games" (until the force unleashed II!), I want games that last hours!

Assassin's Creed Series: Historically interesting, beautiful to look at, amazing sound tracks, and a multiplayer I actually enjoy playing!

Mass Effect Series: I'm not a big fan of shooty games (COD, Gears of War, halo etc) but I love the combat and the well crafted universe.

InFAMOUS Series: I truly, truly love these two games. I love the characters, the stories. The game play just flows, and the soundtracks (especially the second) are beautiful.

Hon mentions
Fallout NV
Skyrim

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Myst: It was the first PC game that ever really drew me in enough to want to follow the story more.

Dwarf Fortress: Because losing is !!FUN!!

Civilization II: Got me hooked into grand turn-based strategy games. (Special nod goes to Crusader Kings to getting me hooked into grand strategy games of pretty much all sorts)

Scorched Earth (The Mother of All Games): This was probably the first game I would actually have people over to play. Haven't had as much fun in a multiplayer game since.

Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest: First game I ever beat, and for that will always hold a soft spot. (special nod goes to King's Bounty, the first game I beat repeatedly)

To quote the CAPTCHA: Easy as pie.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

This game, to me, is the ideal first person shooter. The campaign to this DAY sucks me in and refuses to pull me out. The multiplayer is one of the best I've ever played. Everything about this game is just PERFECT to me!

2. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

I have fond memories of playing the first game in the series, Oddysee, with my best friend, but the sequel to that, Exoddus, is my absolute favorite platforming game of all time. Haunting, immersive music coupled with amazing graphics (For a PS1 2.5D platformer) and challenging but satisfying gameplay, and a little bit of hilarious dark comedy makes for one sublime video game.

3. Super Smash Brothers Brawl

This game saved video games for me. Absolutely not kidding. I was slowly losing interest in gaming (music is to blame; still love tunes!) until my friend invited me over to play this. I hadn't played a video game in almost a year, and haven't touched a Nintendo system since 2004. Seeing Captain Falcon, Link, Fox and Donkey Kong back in action touched a nerve inside of me. And my friends and I have played the hell out of that game. We still do it every time we get together, for traditions' sake.

4. Team Fortress 2

Call of Duty 4 is one incredible game with a great multiplayer, but it sweet Jesus it does not compare to Team Fortress 2. I literally poured consecutive hours into this game. As soon as I got home from school, I turned on the Xbox 360 and played for at least 4 hours every night. I have over 60 hours clocked into each class, and my brother and I constantly competed for the personal record of backstabs. My mother actually had to turn it in to GameStop while I was at school because I was literally getting addicted to it. That's how good of a game it was.

5. Crash Bandicoot

This game got me into gaming as a child. It was the first video game I ever played the whole way through, with the most gorgeous graphics I had ever seen and fun, addicting gameplay. The levels were memorable, as were the bosses (albeit frustrating, but memorable) and what game could be complete without....

<youtube=4i8qAZOu5-g>

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Listed by Playtime:
1. Minecraft
I love all the biomes, animals, and dozens of blocks to build with. It's so relaxing to walk through (snowy) forests and (sandy) plains and see spawned buildings and stone patches on my map. I love to explore.

2. Team Fortress 2
It's an adrenaline-filled war of rockets, bullets, and healing. However, the colorful characters make me love it much more.

3. Plants Vs. Zombies
Every once in a while, I take out my iPhone and play a level and watch as my lawn slowly gets filled with whatever plants I happen to choose/get. Like in TF2 and Minecraft, I love the variety.

4. Grand Theft Auto IV
The story is good, the gameplay is bad, and the multiplayer is barrels of fun! When I'm not in a mission, I can sit back and drive through a highway. Maybe the character will fly out of the car (or the car itself will fly off the road), screaming as I laugh.

5. Super Mario Sunshine
Why I really like this game is partly nostalgia, partly exploration, and partly jetpacking and rocketing in the air. It's the best Mario gameplay experience, and in realistic, industrialized locales!

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Doom 1 & 2
Probably the first series of games i played, got me to the love i have of FPS's.

Oblivion
The first series that stole huge amounts of my time nearly failed my GCSE'S because of this and my lack of will power, got me into the Fallout series as well. Found i really like RPG's.

C&C RA2
The best and still my favourite in the whole of the C&C family. i have loved all of C&C minus Tiberian Twilight which is the only one i have no played to the end. I really disliked that there is more then one type of MCV, which limited my type of troops.

Crash Badnicott
This applies to all of them that were on the ps1 and ps2, loved them all and it was just much fun. my favourite as far as platformers goes.

GTA3
The most fun i have had with all of the GTA games, i had played both 1 and 2, and never really found it so much fun, but the shift to 3d. Made it ridiculously fun for me. Better then both San andreas and Vice city. even though i love both of those games.