The FOOD (& Drink) Thread

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well I love garlic, but even I have a limit for how much raw garlic I can take. Also the sauce was kept bottle up in a container for a few hours, so I think I genuinely inhaled an abnormal amount of garlic fumes.
My grandfather (93-years-old) eats a clove of garlic a day, and is probably the healthiest person on the planet. He swears by it. I think that's why I like it so much; it's genetic at this point.

Sad but true story, a couple of years ago, while he was living with his wife and her daughter, the latter two both caught COVID. Both were hospitalized, and while the daughter made it through, my grandfather's wife passed away. But until they were both hospitalized, my grandfather cared for them, with no PPEs or anything (he didn't know it was COVID,) and never got so much as a fever or cough. He actually tested negative for infection which even the doctors were surprised by given his close and constant contact with two infected people over several days.

Say what you want about garlic; it kills COVID, and you should put some respect on its name. Now go make another batch of aglio olio (looked it up, looks fucking delicious,) and garlic the SHIT out of it. Hell, sell it alongside the Moderna and Pfizer COVID vaccines; I'd rather eat that than get my booster shot!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Made some Wiener schnitzels today.

Thin veal cutlets, pounded to about 3 millimeter thick, lightly salted, run through flower, egg then panko (with nice big flakes for that super crunchy bite). Bake in a pan in clarified butter. Garnish with a bit of finely chopped parsley and a sprinkling of lemon juice. A basic salad and some french fries on the side. Super simple. Not exactly how I remember it from when I had it in the Alps, but delicious comfort food.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I dislike ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise, so in lieu of trying to spell out my custom order like I'm speaking to a five-year-old just for the kids in the back to get it inexorably wrong, I typically opt for chicken nuggets or tenders.
Aaaand proof that I'm right, tried to buy my first fast food burger in a couple of years today, specified I wanted their cheeseburger without ANY condiments. As per usual, the follow-up was "so you want the cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion?" I said yes. Pulled around, and my receipt simply said "No Mayo." My burger was slathered in ketchup. Fuck me. Ever paid $6 to throw something in the trash? I have. On a multitude of occasions.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My grandfather (93-years-old) eats a clove of garlic a day, and is probably the healthiest person on the planet. He swears by it. I think that's why I like it so much; it's genetic at this point.

Sad but true story, a couple of years ago, while he was living with his wife and her daughter, the latter two both caught COVID. Both were hospitalized, and while the daughter made it through, my grandfather's wife passed away. But until they were both hospitalized, my grandfather cared for them, with no PPEs or anything (he didn't know it was COVID,) and never got so much as a fever or cough. He actually tested negative for infection which even the doctors were surprised by given his close and constant contact with two infected people over several days.

Say what you want about garlic; it kills COVID, and you should put some respect on its name. Now go make another batch of aglio olio (looked it up, looks fucking delicious,) and garlic the SHIT out of it. Hell, sell it alongside the Moderna and Pfizer COVID vaccines; I'd rather eat that than get my booster shot!
My condolences. In your grandfather's wife's name I shall attempt this again. Maybe with an actual garlic oil this time.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Public service reminder of why pouring cooking oil/bacon grease down the drain is a bad idea, and a suitable alternative -

Fatbergs, yikes.
Who's throwing away bacon grease???

Nah we do too all the time. Although the other day, we saved some and I made some popcorn with it. Did actually somewhat taste better.

Question though, why not just wait for it to cool down then chuck it into the trash? Is that not allowed or something?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Who's throwing away bacon grease???

Nah we do too all the time. Although the other day, we saved some and I made some popcorn with it. Did actually somewhat taste better.

Question though, why not just wait for it to cool down then chuck it into the trash? Is that not allowed or something?
In our house we save our bacon/brisket grease fully intending to re-purpose it. We pour the hot grease in a mason a jar, wait for it to cool down a bit, then put it in the fridge. Over time, it slowly but surly gets pushed to the back of said fridge, and about 3 months later, we look at the jar of whitish-yellow paste and say:
Then we throw it in the trash.

Though I guy I met this weekend during our river trip gave me a really good idea for brisket grease. Save it, let it cool so the fat separates from the juice, then spoon off the fat to use as you might Crisco or cooking oil to make skillet potatoes. You can also use the remaining juice to make gravy.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I've boiled off fat from minced meat, let it cool, and scooped it off (which you'd do to avoid eating so much fat) and made it into candles. Very gooey and unimpressive candles, but they burn.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've boiled off fat from minced meat, let it cool, and scooped it off (which you'd do to avoid eating so much fat) and made it into candles. Very gooey and unimpressive candles, but they burn.
That sounds... disgusting. Doesn't it make your house smell like the food sourced for the fats?

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, a bit, but it was meat that was for eating anyway, and it had fat that was best removed and would otherwise be thrown away. Stopped eat that meat as there was too much fat and a lot wasn't removed.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wait so... do you just burn the fat? or does it have a wick? Also what occasion calls for fat candle?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wait so... do you just burn the fat? or does it have a wick? Also what occasion calls for fat candle?
You have a wick, but you have to coat it in fat. I don't know what occasion actually calls for it, but it's something I did when there was fat being removed from food that otherwise would have been thrown away, and youtube videos about life in the 18th century, and I was bored and curious.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You have a wick, but you have to coat it in fat. I don't know what occasion actually calls for it, but it's something I did when there was fat being removed from food that otherwise would have been thrown away, and youtube videos about life in the 18th century, and I was bored and curious.
Oh, so you still use wax for the actual candle? I was imagining just a candle made of pure solidified fat.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, it's just fat. Or "tallow" if you prefer, though sometimes that has a more specific meaning than "fat from cow or pig". And the fat isn't very solid, I first tried reheating it until it melted and pouring it into a mould (a candle shaped hole in dirt outside which I dangled a bit of string into to be the wick, making sure the string got covered in the fat) and got a candle covered in grit. Later I just squished fat into a candle shaped blob around the bit of string and rubbed some on the string itself, which worked as well.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, it's just fat. Or "tallow" if you prefer, though sometimes that has a more specific meaning than "fat from cow or pig". And the fat isn't very solid, I first tried reheating it until it melted and pouring it into a mould (a candle shaped hole in dirt outside which I dangled a bit of string into to be the wick, making sure the string got covered in the fat) and got a candle covered in grit. Later I just squished fat into a candle shaped blob around the bit of string and rubbed some on the string itself, which worked as well.
It must be hella cold wherever you live, that would never be possible over here.

OT: I've been having a lot of banana shakes for breakfast lately. I don't mind bananas, but they are pretty boring and you can eat them too quickly. Turning them into shakes (with a teaspoon or two of instant coffee) is much more fun without adding too many calories. This new blender of ours was perhaps the 2nd best purchase I've made in these pandemic times.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The missus and I tried our hand at barbacoa beef this weekend. As per usual, the process, though extremely simple, devolved into a fight, and resulted in something delicious. I'm thinking we're sitting on a reality cooking show we could be banking on. I think it'd be called "Get The Fuck Out Of My Kitchen."

Anyway, turned out great; perfect blend of spicy, tangy and savory. I'll make it again... while she's asleep.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Only sorta tangentially related to food, but I feel bad for Binging with Babish. His videos don't do nearly as well as they used to. Makes me wonder why, he had crazy growth during the pandemic.