The fun facts thread---share your useless trivia!

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
darkless said:
Realitycrash said:
darkless said:
Quinadin said:
2. Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, discovered a way to impale a man from bottom to mouth which would keep the victim alive for days. He also impaled an entire village to scare away the Ottoman Turks. It worked. ALSO when a noble complained about the stench of the dying villagers, Vlad stuck HIM on a pole and said "Let's see if the smell can reach you there". Also also, he is supposedly the inspiration of Dracula.

He's not suposedly anything he IS the inspiration for Dracula, his name is actuall Vlad Dracula.

His name isn't Vlad Dracula, but Vlad II, Prince of Wallachia. Dracula was just a nickname the Turks gave him, meaning "Devil".
"His Romanian surname Drăculea (also spelled "Drakulya"), by which Vlad was referred to in several documents, means "son of the dragon", in reference to his father, Vlad Dracul"

Taken from wikipedia not the most reliable source I know but it was the quickest one to get.
it is possible that Dracula means "monster", or that "Devil" can also be used for "Dragon", that the word is just a general term for something unloathsome and evil. But I do know that I have read it in a book and watched it on Discovery CHannel, and they say Devil.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Baby Eater said:
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

OT: Chocolate is actually poisonous to humans but it's such a small amount that you'd have to eat for a week straight before it affects you.
In fact, everything is poisonous to every living organism, in large/concentrated enough quantities.

amppi1236

Jul 27, 2009
Baldry said:
MetaKnight19 said:
Haseo21 said:
Dolphins have sex up to 5 times a day.....dont ask me why I know this
They are also the only animal, apart from humans, that have sex for pleasure. I might be mistaken on that though.
That and along with ducks are the only animals that rape.

And fruit can make your semen taste sweeter...The more you know
Tazmanian devils also rape their females, so do koalas.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Kilts aren said:
The European earwig has two penises. (one for special occasions)
There was an earwig in my coke...

Did you know Medusa was beautiful and Pegasus came out of her body after her head was chopped off. True story.

Also, the Obelisk in front of St Peters Church in the Vatican was taken from Egypt.

And Mary the mother of Jesus is believed to have been raped by a roman soldier.

Please don't take offense to any of this.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
amppi1236 said:
Wow...I already knew that Australia had some of the nastiest natural fauna on Earth, but that's just a whole new dimension!

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
During the hight of the Russian Empire the Tzar personally owned 1/5 of the worlds landmass.

struwwelman

May 7, 2009
Glass should be stiffer and stronger than steel, but it's full of tiny cracks that make it brittle (Thank you, Griffith's theory of brittle fracture!).

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
SmoothOperator said:
A blue whales heart beats once every minute.

A classic: Gas doesn't smell. The smell was added as a warning for gas leaks.
Called a "Stenching Agent"

amppi1236

Jul 27, 2009
SimuLord said:
amppi1236 said:
Wow...I already knew that Australia had some of the nastiest natural fauna on Earth, but that's just a whole new dimension!
When a koala male is attempting to rape a female, the female will usually climb up to escape the male koala. If the male koala follows the female, she has 2 options:
1. Jump to her death
2. get violently raped by the male

The tazmanian devils don't get such an option. They usually get raped for hours by multiple males.

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
brodie21 said:
dngamecat said:
Hitler was a vegetarian

Some people believe Nazis had help from aliens

A member (or former member) of the Nazi part was one of the most important people who worked on NASA's project to get a human on the moon
hitlers vegetarian cook was jewish, and Wernher Von Braun was the guy. he worked on the v2 rockets for the nazis and got captured by the americans and worked for nasa in exchange for not going on trial for war crimes
Hitler wasn't vegetarian.

tappajasieni

Jan 1, 2010
During the filming of Fight Club, Brad Pitt and Edward Norton actually learned how to make soap.

Thank you, IMDB.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Elvis dyed his hair black. He was born with blonde hair that gradually grew darker as he got older, to a chestnut brown.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
coolkirb said:
thenoblitt said:
dkyros said:
Quantum entanglement is the unexplained phenomenon in the universe where two particles are inextricably linked together and any action on one particle causes the other particle to react instantly (faster than light speed) no matter what distance the particles are separated.
Also, for those too young to remember there was originally 150 pokemon ^.^
151 actually you forgot mewtwo
actualy I think Mew was 151 because I remeber you can catch Mewtwo ingame
you can also catch Mew in game.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Realitycrash said:
darkless said:
Realitycrash said:
darkless said:
Quinadin said:
2. Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, discovered a way to impale a man from bottom to mouth which would keep the victim alive for days. He also impaled an entire village to scare away the Ottoman Turks. It worked. ALSO when a noble complained about the stench of the dying villagers, Vlad stuck HIM on a pole and said "Let's see if the smell can reach you there". Also also, he is supposedly the inspiration of Dracula.

He's not suposedly anything he IS the inspiration for Dracula, his name is actuall Vlad Dracula.

His name isn't Vlad Dracula, but Vlad II, Prince of Wallachia. Dracula was just a nickname the Turks gave him, meaning "Devil".
"His Romanian surname Dr&#259;culea (also spelled "Drakulya"), by which Vlad was referred to in several documents, means "son of the dragon", in reference to his father, Vlad Dracul"

Taken from wikipedia not the most reliable source I know but it was the quickest one to get.
it is possible that Dracula means "monster", or that "Devil" can also be used for "Dragon", that the word is just a general term for something unloathsome and evil. But I do know that I have read it in a book and watched it on Discovery CHannel, and they say Devil.

Hmmmm, it can mean both apparently, "His Romanian surname Dr&#259;culea (also spelled "Drakulya"), by which Vlad was referred to in several documents, means "son of the dragon", in reference to his father, Vlad Dracul, who received that moniker from his subjects because he had joined the Order of the Dragon. Dracul, from the Latin word Draco, meaning "dragon", is derived from the Greek word &#916;&#961;&#940;&#954;&#969;&#957; (Drák&#333;n). In Romanian, on the other hand, Dracul means "devil", and in the bible the devil is also called the dragon, great dragon and the snake."

Never bothered reading the rest of the Paragraph so that was my fault, one of those "This proves me right!" moments only to alter learn it doesn't...This has never happened to me before. Sorry about that.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Ghhostface said:
dkyros said:
Quantum entanglement is the unexplained phenomenon in the universe where two particles are inextricably linked together and any action on one particle causes the other particle to react instantly (faster than light speed) no matter what distance the particles are separated.
Also, for those too young to remember there was originally 150 pokemon ^.^
YEH FERGOT MEW!
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=261
I got a good chuckle out of that. Yes, I forgot Mew =P

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Vanalosswen said:
A Raging Emo said:
It took Leo Tolstoy 6 years to write War and Peace.
It took J.R.R. Tolkien 10 years to write Lord of the Rings, and he spent most of his life tinkering with the Silmarilion.
Did we just watch the same episode on the History channel?