The fun facts thread---share your useless trivia!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Did you know a squid got three hearts? A little red bean told me this
(Click on the channel to learn more facts!)

SmoothOperator

Oct 18, 2008
A blue whales heart beats once every minute.

A classic: Gas doesn't smell. The smell was added as a warning for gas leaks.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Did you know 70% of the Swedish moose is in fact gay?

Theory is, that the moose have a really hard fucking time on finding mates, and can in their desperation take a male for a female, or the other way around.

I... Can't remember where I heard this though. But it's funny.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
The hard bit at the end of a shoelace is called an aglet. D'ja know that?

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
iLikeHippos said:
Did you know 70% of the Swedish moose is in fact gay?

Theory is, that the moose have a really hard fucking time on finding mates, and can in their desperation take a male for a female, or the other way around.

I... Can't remember where I heard this though. But it's funny.
Are you sure that's true? 'cause there are like LOTS of moose in Sweden. Seriously lots.

OT: Polar bears are left handed (or pawed?). Also, a pig's orgasm can last 30 minutes.

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
It is physically impossible for two surfaces to be in contact and be at rest (Not moving) on every structural level.

Thank you Physics you finally taught me something.

Captain Ka-Boom

Apr 15, 2010
Fuck yeah! I've got tons of Beatles-trivia to share! I'll start off with a couple of fun ones

Did you know that the person who first introduceed the Beatles to mariujana was Bob Dylan?

Did you know that during a couple of weeks in 1964 the Beatles dominated the US Billboard list of singles top five spots with the singles Can't Buy Me Love, Twist and Shout, She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand and Please Please Me?

Did you know that during his time as a Beatle, Ringo Starr (Drummer) only recorded one proper drum solo and only wrote two Beatles' songs by himself?

Did you know that after Ringo Starr had his tonsils removed, two crazed fans asked if they could buy them?

Did you know that Eric Clapton (Guitar Legend) does a guest performance on the song While My Guitar Gently Weeps?

otterhead

Feb 19, 2009
Glamorgan said:
I like pudding

Well, according to some website I just found, more than 10 people are killed by vending machines a year.

Someone please explain how that works. Seriously. Were they like crushed by one, or something...?
I heard (somewhere...) that this is because people are trying to steal from the machines and then and accident happens. Like it falls on them or something. I guess that makes sense with them being made of glass and metal and full of like Coke and stuff. :D

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Tomas Haake (the drummer from Meshuggah) regularly breaks 10-15 cymbals per month while touring, and says that he wouldn't be able to afford playing music without his sponsorship.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Haseo21 said:
Dolphins have sex up to 5 times a day.....dont ask me why I know this
Lions can have sex up to 40 times a day. Then they take a 2 year break though if I remember right

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
otterhead said:
Glamorgan said:
I like pudding

Well, according to some website I just found, more than 10 people are killed by vending machines a year.

Someone please explain how that works. Seriously. Were they like crushed by one, or something...?
I heard (somewhere...) that this is because people are trying to steal from the machines and then and accident happens. Like it falls on them or something. I guess that makes sense with them being made of glass and metal and full of like Coke and stuff. :D
People try to steal from the machine, get stuck with their hand inside, and the thing tips over then they try to yank it free, basically.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Glamorgan said:
I like pudding

Yes. People have them topple onto them when the people are being stupid and trying to shake products loose. You're going to have to answer to the Coca-Cola Company.

EDIT: Double Ninja-ed right across the sky...

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
The president of Gearbox voiced "Crazy Earl" in Borderlands.
That's the best I got... WHAT'CHU WANT?!"

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Quantum entanglement is the unexplained phenomenon in the universe where two particles are inextricably linked together and any action on one particle causes the other particle to react instantly (faster than light speed) no matter what distance the particles are separated.
Also, for those too young to remember there was originally 150 pokemon ^.^

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Longest Day (the movie, fucking awesome it was too) shares much of its cast with Cleopatra (fucking rubbish it was too)(apparently, many of the main cast from the latter got bored because of scheduling hash-ups and offered to do cameos in Longest Day to pass the time). Where the latter almost bankrupted Fox, the former saved the studio.

Also of note, Richard Todd played his own commanding officer in said film.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
dkyros said:
Quantum entanglement is the unexplained phenomenon in the universe where two particles are inextricably linked together and any action on one particle causes the other particle to react instantly (faster than light speed) no matter what distance the particles are separated.
Heh, that one, I actually knew beforehand.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
John Wilkes Booth's brother, a major stage celebrity of the time, saved Abraham Lincoln's son's life when he was nearly crushed beneath a train.