The fun facts thread.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
emissary666 said:
Only 55% of Americans know that the Sun is a star and 12% believe Joan of Arc is Noah's wife
Look, I might not be American, but if you'd come up to me and ask "Do you think Joan of Arc is Noah's wife?", then do you really think I'm going to say no?

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
You have a higher chance of dying on your way to buy a lottery ticket than you do of actually winning the lottery.

Feb 26, 2011
Lemons are actually sweeter than strawberries: They're just LOADED with acid that gives them that sour taste.

Ever said 'Bless You' when someone sneezes? That practice began because people believed that when you sneezed, you sneezed out your soul, and saying 'Bless you' restored it.

A fully-grown cat has the IQ of a toddler.

Pong was originally developed as a mility exercise to improve reflexes.

Mar 25, 2010
DJ_DEnM said:
Tsaba said:
El Paso, TX is the "safest big city in America" shares the border with the most dangerous city in the world, Juarez Mexico.
http://urbantitan.com/10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world-in-2011/

Whats that internet? Number one is Bogota?

Get your facts straight and stop being so freaking discriminative against Mexicans.
It's considered dangerous by it's reputation, and it is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Maybe you should stop being so damn racist against Bogotions. :mad:

Megawat22

Aug 7, 2010
The actor who played the Janitor in Scrubs (Neil Flynn) originally wanted the part of Dr. Perry Cox.
A Dr. Cox with his own private stuffed squirrel army. Would it be worth the loss of John C. McGinley?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Uber Evil said:
canadamus_prime said:
The word "shit" was originally and acronym which stood for Ship High In Transit. It was used it the shipment of manure via ship since manure festering in cargo holds had the unfortunate effect of causing shipping vessels to explode due to the build up of methane.
I don't think that is correct. linky. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit#Etymology]
Oh, I stand corrected then. I had heard that second hand from my Father who had apparently gotten it out of a "fun fact" e-mail.

balanovich

Jan 25, 2010
Llil said:
-The olympic games used to give out medals for things like architectural design, painting and poetry.

Really? Would you mind backing it up with references.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Lemmings do not have mass suicide. Mass overpopulation lead to overfeeding, and thus mass migrations into unfamiliar lands.
Upon encountering a lake or water, the front would stop, but the back would keep going and push the front off sometimes.
The mass suicide myth was created by Walt Disney's White Wilderness, which took place in lemming-free Alberta, Canada. The little critters falling into the ocean was the filmmakers throwing them into a river.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Llil said:
The Ouija board was originally intended as a toy and was patented in 1890. Now Parker Brothers has all copyrights and patents for it.

It sure is magical...
Any patent that has been around since 1890 has looooooooooong since expired my friend!

ZRendZ

Jun 9, 2011
Sorry if these have already been said.
Chickens have the Genes to grow teeth
Megaman is only blue because in the 8-bit colour chart blue has the most variations and Inufane wanted Megaman to be detailed
Megaman was originally 2 individual sprites, his head and body were animated differently
Megaman 6 had the highest colour per sprite in any 8-bit game.
Knightman and Blademan (And Windman i think) were Robot masters designed by average people for a competition for Capcom.
Zero was supposed to be the main Protagonist for Megaman X, however they replaced him with X since he looks more like Classic Megaman
Due to Megaman x6 being released without Inufane's agreement the plot of Megaman Zero had to be altered.
The characters in Megaman x5 when imported over to the eastern countries they got renamed to names based off of members of Guns and Roses.
More people aged 20-30 know that Mario is a Plumber then 10-20 year olds.
There is a galaxy that has so much pressure and carbon, it's almost like a giant diamond.
Saturn is mainly known for it's rings however Uranus(or Neptune) has more rings.
In pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Trapinch is described as an 'Ant trap' pokemon, however an Ant pokemon didn't appear until 5th gen.
Talking of 5th gen, The dragonspiral tower has a strange resemblance to the Sanctury Dungeon in Zelda a link the past < Try this one out

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
Switchblade1080 said:
There's a Wasp that eats Tarantulas...
It's called a Tarantula Hawk

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Tarantula_hawk.JPG/800px-Tarantula_hawk.JPG

Also, it's sting is considered to be one of the most excruciatingly painful insect stings in the world.

Wow, what is it with me and insects today?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
The Heavy Metal Nerd said:
Pong was originally developed as a mility exercise to improve reflexes.
I'm pretty sure pong was based off of a game the radar guys created when playing with the radar screens.

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
Saturn is so light that if there were a giant pool that could hold it, Saturn would actually float in it.

If you were to fall into a black hole and could survive the gravity you would actually live long enough to see the end of the universe or die of starvation since time basically comes to a halt in a black hole.

I know others but I'm to lazy to double check my books to verify the facts so I'm not corrected.