The Game Boy turns 20! What's your favorite portable game and why? - CHAT WITH THE STAFF!

Perryman93

Mar 27, 2009
either pokemon red on GB/GBC, final fantasy tactics advance on GBA or final fantasy VII Crisis core on PSP

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
All time favorite has to be Pokemon Red/Blue on the Gameboy. It's what really got me into gaming.

(btw Dragonite ftw)

pcload1etter

Apr 14, 2009
Pyre00 said:
Advance Wars series.
It is a tie between Advance Wars and Fire Emblem series. Both by the same shop. Games that are similar and yet different. Both incredibly fun.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
Pokemon red, although for enjoyment i could still have today, probably golden sun 2 or advance wars 2

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I've loved handhelds so much more than any other type of game ever since I received my first Gameboy Color for christmas when I was six (It came with Pokemon Yellow). After that amazing christmas, I almost never bought a console game again since I saw no need to be held down by a completely non-portable system. (I mean, puh-lease. My lame friend doesn't have a PS2, so we're screwed right? Nope. I'll just whip out the ol' Gameboy and ride out this crappy sleepover in style with 'Link's Awakening DX').

To reply to the topic, here are my top three. I apologize for adding more than one, but I have almost *never* played any other systems besides portable's. This makes it extremely hard to narrow it down to twenty, let alone one.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX: This was my introduction into the Zelda universe, and I still hum the tunes from the boss fights and the overworld during tests at school. I still view this as the most interesting adventure Link has ever ventured on, and I feel in my heart it is not blasphemy to say I enjoyed it more than Ocarina of Time. I loved that game dearly as well, but the heartwrenching moments in Links Gameboy adventure just pulled on my emotions more than I care to admit. Tears were indeed shed at the end.

2) Golden Sun: This gray cartridge devoured my life for more than two years. As soon as I obtained a Gameboy Advance, I went to the Funcoland to find a good RPG to fill the void after one of my few console adventure, Final Fantasy 7. When I inserted that masterpiece of a game into my little Gameboy I could practicaly feel my jaw slowly dropping as I experienced not only the urgency of the intro's situation, but also the beautiful pixelated graphics that were so alien to me after Pokemon. Then I stumbled into a battle. I have never said Jesus-Christ-Bananas with such solemnity as I did at the moment. I thought I could feel my shorts getting wet as the camera swung to show Isaac beasting on some poor critter. I hope I never experience something so awesome again, because I want to keep this game in my heart forever.

And finally...
3) Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories: Someone has to say it. This. Was. The. Pinaccle. Of. My. Handheld. Experience. I ran to my room, sprawled on my bed, flipped it on...and was SO not ready to experience something so awesome. I still giggle at the memory of taking the bus to junior high and running through a mandatory quickie-death-spree until we climbed off and I flipped it off until lunch. The sirens whooping, the people screaming, the guns blasting...Such bliss can not be described, only experienced. Sadly, it's too late for anyone to experience. With the PSP almost forgotten, and GTA4 making our graphics cards it's *****, the simple joy of seeing Liberty City on a handheld with such amazing graphics for it's time is now long gone. I pity anyone who missed out, but I am quite sure I missed some special moments too. Ahhh, to be a gamer. If only you could relive all it's greatest moments in gaming's actually quite short history. -F

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Kirby Super Star was the best game ever made. It got remade for the DS. Therefore, Kirby Super Star Ultra is the best portable game ever made ever.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
Anachronism said:
I think I have to say Pokemon Red. I spent far too much time playing that game. No other portable game I'd played beforehand had managed to draw me in quite as much. Ok, the story wasn't great, but it was so damn addictive!
This pretty much sums it up for me too. Didn't help that I had watched my friends play it for liek a month before I was able to get my hands on a copy.

Sep 14, 2009
well depending on if we are staying within gameboy perimeters

for gameboy, i would have to say, since i never played the DS games, that the pokemon games always held a special place in my heart, along with a few megaman games, loved playing those things over and over again

however if we are to include psp, then that goes to final fantasy dissidia, i have never sunk so many hours into one game in such a short amount of time, that game is the most fun i have ever had with a fighting game, the balance, complexity while making the learning curve still easy to get used to, that game hands down is in the top 5 games for psp imo

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Fingerlicking said:
I've loved handhelds so much more than any other type of game ever since I received my first Gameboy Color for christmas when I was six (It came with Pokemon Yellow). After that amazing christmas, I almost never bought a console game again since I saw no need to be held down by a completely non-portable system. (I mean, puh-lease. My lame friend doesn't have a PS2, so we're screwed right? Nope. I'll just whip out the ol' Gameboy and ride out this crappy sleepover in style with 'Link's Awakening DX').

To reply to the topic, here are my top three. I apologize for adding more than one, but I have almost *never* played any other systems besides portable's. This makes it extremely hard to narrow it down to twenty, let alone one.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX: This was my introduction into the Zelda universe, and I still hum the tunes from the boss fights and the overworld during tests at school. I still view this as the most interesting adventure Link has ever ventured on, and I feel in my heart it is not blasphemy to say I enjoyed it more than Ocarina of Time. I loved that game dearly as well, but the heartwrenching moments in Links Gameboy adventure just pulled on my emotions more than I care to admit. Tears were indeed shed at the end.

2) Golden Sun: This gray cartridge devoured my life for more than two years. As soon as I obtained a Gameboy Advance, I went to the Funcoland to find a good RPG to fill the void after one of my few console adventure, Final Fantasy 7. When I inserted that masterpiece of a game into my little Gameboy I could practicaly feel my jaw slowly dropping as I experienced not only the urgency of the intro's situation, but also the beautiful pixelated graphics that were so alien to me after Pokemon. Then I stumbled into a battle. I have never said Jesus-Christ-Bananas with such solemnity as I did at the moment. I thought I could feel my shorts getting wet as the camera swung to show Isaac beasting on some poor critter. I hope I never experience something so awesome again, because I want to keep this game in my heart forever.

And finally...
3) Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories: Someone has to say it. This. Was. The. Pinaccle. Of. My. Handheld. Experience. I ran to my room, sprawled on my bed, flipped it on...and was SO not ready to experience something so awesome. I still giggle at the memory of taking the bus to junior high and running through a mandatory quickie-death-spree until we climbed off and I flipped it off until lunch. The sirens whooping, the people screaming, the guns blasting...Such bliss can not be described, only experienced. Sadly, it's too late for anyone to experience. With the PSP almost forgotten, and GTA4 making our graphics cards it's *****, the simple joy of seeing Liberty City on a handheld with such amazing graphics for it's time is now long gone. I pity anyone who missed out, but I am quite sure I missed some special moments too. Ahhh, to be a gamer. If only you could relive all it's greatest moments in gaming's actually quite short history. -F
Why did you necro this thread? It was an entire year old. Seriously, don't do this. Especially for News Posts. If the last post in a thread is over a month old... Don't touch the thread.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Artemis923 said:
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge.

End of story.
wait I thought the second Castlevania was Simon's Quest for the NES...

my favorite is Pokemon Red Version it is the first game I've ever played and brought me into gaming...

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Hmm, well I really got into Tekken:Dark Resurrection(for PsP). I mean, it was such an in depth fighting game, so many people to master, so many things to buy, so many dojos to beat....Yeah, this is probably my favorite game, gameplay wise.
My favorite game, story wise? FF tactics: War of the Lions. I know FFT was originally released for the Playstation, but it was remade for PsP as well among other platforms. It's story really moved me, the characters were simply gorgeous, and the language/art styles were....perfect. Well, at least for my taste. Truly one of the greatest games out there.

Angelcraft

Apr 15, 2010
I still play my GBA games on my SP. Gawd, those are fun SOMETHIMES. Othertimes they are frustrating. Why were there not more Sandbox-ish games on the Gameboy? I think it could have handled it, if game deveopers were careful. Otherwise, great handheld console that stood the test of time.

Wish the DS still had reverse capability, but whatever. I'm not getting one now.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
GBC: Pokemon Blue
GBA: Pokemon FireRed
DS: Pokemon HeartGold
iPod Touch: Line-Up 2