The Game Boy turns 20! What's your favorite portable game and why? - CHAT WITH THE STAFF!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Hmm, I have to list mine as such:

Gameboy: Pokemon Yellow, as it was my first Gameboy game EVER, and I even had a yellow GameBoy!

Honorable mention goes to Final Fantasy Adventure, fun game, and I'll take it over any Zelda. Who knew that adding Levels and XP would turn tedium into fun?

Gameboy Color: Hmm, I was never itno portable gaming too much when I was younger (20 now), so either Pokemon Silver, or Pokemon Crystal. Both were good games, and the pinnacle of the main Pokemon games, IMO. Even the main reason why I bought SoulSilver after shunning Gens 3 and 4 (although Blaziken is awesome, and Gardevoir is hot)

GameBoy Advance: Oh wow... REALLY tough choice, as this is where I started getting rather serious about handheld gaming... Either Golden Sun, or Final Fantasy V Advance... I really can't decide

DS: Hmmm, either Final Fantasy IV, or Chrono Trigger...

PSP: Yep, I got one, and I love it. My all=time favorite portable game would have to be Dissidia: Final Fantasy, as it's the only game that I know of to consume over 160 hours of my life....And I STILL can't beat Inward Chaos!!!

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
GB: Tetris. Because Tetris is Tetris.
GBC: Pokemon Gold. Epic music, good new additions, 16 badges, a worthy sequel to a game I considered for the #1 GB game.
GBA: Super Mario Advance. A good remake of the slightly mediocre Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, this game had a lot of good things going for it.
DS: Wow, I can only choose 1? I think I'll say Civilization: Revolution, for bringing an authentic Civilization feel to a portable system.

Hmm, all of my top choices except Pokemon are ports of console games. Does that say something about me?

Horticulture

Feb 27, 2009
LoZ: Link's Awakening

Castlevania for the GBA might have taken it were it not for that for that awful screen.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Pokemon Red. Hands down. The feeling of being able to capture and fight with your own pokemon for the first time ever like that was just astounding at the time, I'd never played a game which felt like it.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Kirby's Dream Land. come on, that was an awesome game for back in 1997.
GBC: Pokemon Crystal
GBA: Megaman Battle Network Series.
DS: The World Ends With You.

and if we branch off from Nintendo: PSP - Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

GreatVladmir

May 25, 2008
Pokemon Blue/Red for the GB, simply because they are the origins of Pokemon and the best of the Pokemon series, also they fill my mouth with Nostalgia cocain balls and Animal Crossing for the DS, just my favorite DS game, would be Izuna, but I don't have it yet (I mean, its about an un-employed ninja ffs! thats an awesome theme.)

Comrade Azza

Apr 3, 2010
^
I think Gold and Silver are the zenith of Pokemon. Each to his own, I guess.

Many of my gaming memories come from the Game Boy. All those endless hours playing Pokemon, Super Mario Land, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and, arguably the sole reason for the Game Boy's success (sans awesome battery economy); Tetris. I will never, ever forget these games. The GBA was great too, and introduced me to Castlevania, via Circle of the Moon, Advance Wars (which is still one of my favourite franchises) and many, many more excellent games.

To the Game Boy, a salute.

wonderbanana

Apr 1, 2009
My fav portable game ever is Advance Wars 2 on GBA with the original not falling too far behind.

I've always thought Super Mario Land 2 on the original GB was ace too, great at the time and still very playable today.

As for the greatest portable game ever, how can it not be GB Tetris? ;)

Apr 28, 2008
Pokemon.
The first and second generations more specifically.

I have spent so much time on those games. I would bring them to school and all the kids would have link battles. Man those were good times...

armaina

Nov 1, 2007
My favorite would have to be the pokemon Series, Soul Silver so far being my favorite of the ones released. Pokemon has always been one of the best kinds of games for a portable system. While many games for the gameboy were pretty much just games you could play on the go that made little use of the well, concepts of portability, the pokemon series of games made the portable aspect an important part of it, in such that it was practically required for you to meet up with your friends in order to get the specific pokemon that weren't in your game.

On top of that, being able to meet up with friends and link up also meant the ability to compete with friends in a game where you could make up your own teams and strategies. Before then, the only competition in portable games, and in most games in general, was always with a set list of characters and very rarely were there any forms of customization. It's the competition aspect of these series of games that has had me so drawn to it.

Now, the reason why Soul Silver is my favorite of the series, is because it seems to really encompass the best that the series has to offer. First of all, the second generation of pokemon games were my favorite, it really expanded the game itself with it's additions and it had characters and a story that, while simple, were interesting. Plus, the fact that it actually acknowledged the previous game and gave you the opportunity to travel back to the world of the last game and see how things had gone years later, was a huge bonus and added much more play time to the game. Soul Silver took that beloved generation and made it better, not just with pretty graphics, but with how the story was played out and other little features I appreciate. Oh, they also took out that kind of annoying beauty contest feature and replaced it with rather fun pokemon based mini games. It encompasses everything I love about the series,and has really been my favorite to play through thus far.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Pokemon Yellow. I enjoyed Silver & Gold alot, but I got much farther in yellow, also I played it alot more.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I think my favourite handheld game is Golden Sun. Or two games, I suppose. I have a DS just to play GS3 when it's released.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Favorite portable system: FC Mobile 2 which lets me play classic Nintendo game cartridges anywhere I want. There is also the Gen Mobile to play Sega Genesis cartridges but I can't find it.

Favorite portable game: Pokemon Yellow