The Game Stash: A Question of Genre

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Welcome to the august ranks of the Escapist front-page regulars.

You make your points eloquently and use grammar & idioms properly. You definitely continue the tradition of classing up the usual gamer discussions that the Escapist is trying to maintain!

Looking forward to future articles.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
First off, welcome to the Escapist, Mr. Butts. It's always good to have a new column to follow. However, I can't help but disagree with the stance you took in this particular edition. Blind Chance essentially covered what I want to say, but I'll add to it that, even for gamers interested in story -- a minority, to be sure -- it's usually the quality of the story that matters, not the actual subject matter. Besides that, for the average player the quality of the gameplay is infinitely more important -- there is a reason that they're called video games, and not Interactive fiction. Of course, there is always the sadly defunct genre named interactive fiction, which is a useful label for people looking for games that tell a good story.

Regardless, because gameplay is so important, gameplay based genres are much better at telling a prospective player what to expect than story based genres. For example, I love science fiction, and I love first person shooters, but I can't stand real time strategy games. If I were to ask for a science fiction game, I could quite easily wind up with a Starcraft or Command and Conquer game, when I would personally get more out of something along the lines of Quake or Gears of War.

Which leads to another point -- the people who are so concerned with games as art frequently ignore the fact that games can be art through their gameplay as much as through their story. Games may work as a story telling medium, but -- as with the differences between film and novels -- games lend themselves to storytelling in ways that are unique to the medium. The future of games as art lies in finding ways to combine gameplay and story telling in a way that enhances both, not in pushing gameplay to the backburner in order to tell a better story.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I'm sure you're making a very good case about something...but...moustache...

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Steve Butts said:
It's time to stop asking, "What kind of game is it?" and start asking, "What is it about?"
First of all, I want to offer a hearty 300lb. welcome to you! This looks like the first of what may be a long line of interesting and engaging columns, and I think that's exactly what we all like to see on the Escapist front page! Next, I want to respectfully disagree with your view of genre. I think in other media genre is just as indicative of form as it is content. When you decide to see an action movie over a drama, you are choosing hard cuts, CGI, and shaky camera work over well-honed performances and attentive, reflective cinematography. As well with novels, if you choose a romance over a comedy you are looking for florid language and lurid situations over inventive characters and witty dialogue. Just as with games or anything else, if you set out to make a work within the confines of a specific genre you are volunteering to conform to a number of formal expectations - at least in mass market media. Independent works of course aren't as concerned with market share.

I feel the main reason we still define games according to their mechanics is because this is still what defines the gaming experience in a large way - Borderlands is mostly attractive because it combines the gun mechanics of Halo with the looting of Diablo, content-wise it doesn't distinguish itself much from the myriad of other titles that have you complete tasks for contracts in a ruined wasteland. Also, unlike cinema or literature, there isn't a standard codex of experience outside of these mechanical differentiations, which has kept the format in a technical infancy. Cinema developed into a truly expressive form once its conventions were established and viewers knew what to expect from a good movie, but with video games the mechanics keep us from appreciating the content until we have achieved mastery.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
This was an issue I never knew existed. However, when I think about it, it seems so obvious, Great article!

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Great first article for sure. Seems to be yet another wonderful column on the escapist.

On topic: I think the genre problem exists in some form in almost every form of entertainment media. How often have I heard a director say he isn´t satisfied with how people label his film or a musician who doesn´t like some endless combination of terms someone has thrown together to describe his album. Josh Homme, lead guitarist of the Queens Of The Stone Age for example keeps telling people he doesn´t like the term Stoner Rock but that won´t ever stop people to call it just that.
Gernre, to me, is just a way for people to lump things together in a drawer and shut it just so they know where to look next time they want to see, hear or play it. And a way to simplify it in a discussion. And of course everyone´s definition differs from every other. So yeah, CoD is a war game, Borderlands is an FPS and Mass Effect an RPG. In the end I think if you discuss an art form for real, you always have to tell people what the game is about. A genre is by defintion always just a couple of words. Doesn´t cut it.

So yeah. I basically agree with you.

edit: And the moustache rocks. Don´t let anyone ever tell you otherwise!

Apr 28, 2008
First things first, epic mustache.
There, its out of my system. For now anyway...

On to the article. I wouldn't say that genre's are the main problem, but the people who review/play games. We're all basically conditioned to expect a set of features depending on what genre a game is. As alluded to in The Old Republic, people expect crafting, guilds, and other features from other MMO's, regardless if they fit or not.

For things to change, people would have to stop expect a certain set of features in every *insert genre here* game.

I'm not saying the specific tropes of genre's are bad, but if they don't fit into the context of the game, then leave them out. If people don't like and think it should be in "because of the genre", well then too bad. Changing is never easy, and people will be put off. But eventually things could change for the better.

Nice article by the way, I look forward to more mustachioed pieces.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Since it has been brought up by others, I lend my voice to the choir.

Mustache mustache mustache mustache mustache mustache mustache mustache mustache... [http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2009-11-30]

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
It makes sense to me that a genre can be a bad thing if it means that the game is just being tied down to a check list of features and you get a by the numbers experience. One thing gets on my nerves about these "what is a real RPG" discussions that pop up way too regularly is that they start with the assumption that there is a correct way of making an RPG and that the correct RPG will naturally be great because it is more like an RPG than anything else.

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that putting gameplay before content is letting the tail wag the dog. Content is important but the real problem with genres is that they are more about content than gameplay. It's like, if a game is a "genre" game then gameplay is assumed to be a solved problem give or take a few tweaks and minor innovations and all of the real work is seen as taking place in the content. People want exciting and varied gameplay experiences. I know that I do at least.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
That was an excellent example from Champions Online; I was thinking the same things myself throughout the game. Why should superheroes be crafting items? Why should they be taking villains' clothing?

Great first article; I look forward to seeing more.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I really enjoyed the article, and agree that a mechanics-based categorization of games is inadequate. I'm not entirely convinced that a context-based categorization would be a better substitute, though.

Would someone who enjoys Plants vs. Zombies be certain to enjoy Left 4 Dead or Dead Rising?

While many gamers view video games as a storytelling medium, designed to describe a world with which you can interact, many share Roger Ebert's view that games are something you play and win. In that context, mechanics are paramount.

I'd like to believe that mechanics-focused gamers are the minority, but my current level of faith in humanity in general just won't allow me that luxury.

jmoore4ska

Predicament Pro Tem
Oct 15, 2009
Everyone seems to think that this article was against genres. Hm. The way I read it, Stash-man wasn't against genre labeling when it helped identify games one might enjoy, but was really lamenting when Genre labeling supplanted aesthetics.

In other words (by that, i mean in Butts' words as i took them), one should still know that SWtOR is an MMOG before buying it, because that could greatly affect their playing experience. The problem is when BioWare, recognizing that what they are developing will be termed an MMOG, begins stuffing in genre tropes under the assumption that players will look for "Massively Multiplayer Online Game" before they look for "Star Wars."

"Star Wars" should really be the driving creative direction, not MMOG.

Fans nowadays will always be able to see a game's mechanics before they buy, so they should know or at least have a guess at whether the mechanics will appeal to them or not. There's no way to prevent someone from finding that out, unless your marketing team is pants-on-head ... unintelligent, let's say. The real problem in situations like this is misdirected devs.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Am I the only one whose (who's?) going to bring up his funny last name and said it made me laugh a little? Or am I the only one who does not fear the all mighty mustache.

I got distracted and now I forget the paragraph I was going to use to agree with his facial hair.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
RPG is the worst example of a definitive genre.

The main issue is what fulls under the category of "role playing" since in the case "JRPGs" have next to no character creation, but then again the same can be said for most games... games that aren't RPGs.

Then there's the "RPG elements" given to such titles like BioShock yet this involves purchasing and upgrading, something common it, lets say strategy games. JRPGs could be turn-based or adventure games with "RPG elements". These so called elements are found in many genres, thus it's a redundant phrase.

Also welcome.
And what about Mass Effect, where no matter what you make your character look like you're still playing Commander Sheppard and the story still unfolds the same, regardless to your choices.

Or Oblivion, where you have complete authority over what your character looks like, fights with and works for, yet you're still closing Oblivion gates and crowning Martin Septum king of the land.

We can even take this into the realm of the tabletop. You can create any character you want, but once you pick your alignment you're stuck playing the game a certain way. A lawful good character won't steal bread for a starving family because the law is absolute.

There's no such thing as absolute freedom in an RPG, and people need to stop looking for it. Unbridled freedom, especially in a videogame, leads to an unfocused narrative and waters down the entire experience.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Genres in video games serve a different purpose than they do in other mediums, yes! But that doesn't make them WRONG. Just different.

When someone tells me that a game is an RPG, I expect skill trees, tactical and quite possibly turn-based combat. I would also hope for an excellent story with a great cast of characters to interact with, and an exciting world to fill me with awe.

After hearing it described as an RPG, I would then do further research to uncover exactly what flavor of RPG it is. Then I would decide whether to get it.

So there you have a genre label serving its purpose exactly. I think most of the OP's problem is that he's a prude. Sorry buddy.

Vanuslux

Oct 23, 2009
I'd argue that the playing experience that you get from Halo 3 is more similar to Modern Warfare than it is to Halo Wars. By and large, genres are defined the way they are because the vast majority of gamers look at the game play experience first and narrative experience second.

Also, consider in film genres aren't exactly any better about presenting what kind of film you're watching. Saw, Nosferatu, Friday the 13th, Scream, Human Centipede, Evil Bong...all horror movies...none of which offers a very similar viewing experience.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Why isn't it tried more often? Let's explore.

Remember 1998 Activision critical hit (but massively undersold) Battlezone? Of course you don't. Expertly blended first person shooting with a real time strategy shattered all genre norms you can ever create, making it a timeless selection. Unfortunately, marketting sucked for that game and the masses never knew of it. Miscontruing bad marketting for bad design killed the innovation, so it was not tried again.

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Okay, his first regular post and I already like this guy! He really gets me thinking.

I've been troubled by genres myself as well.
I've been working on this idea.
First you have the main gameplay types:
Action
Adventure
Puzzle
Social

Then you have their setting:
Sci-Fi
Fantasy
Modern
Horror
Alt-Reality

You can combine them then
Fantasy Action
Modern Adventure
Horror Puzzle
Sci-Fi Social
Alt-Reality Puzzle Adventure
Fantasy Social Action

You know, stuff like that. The gameplay descibes the main point of the game. Is it based around fighting, exploring, solving puzzles, or being social? Or any combo of those?
Then the setting gives you an idea of what's going to happen.
If it's a Horror Social, you know you and your friends will be scared, or if it's a Fantasy Action game, you can guess you'll be fighting in a fantasy environment, possibly with swords and magic.

That's just my idea, feel free to critique!