The Great Final Fantasy Retrospective - Let's Mosey

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It worked after a (second) redownload. I'm playing now, as a Conjurer Miqo'te.

I'm playing mostly for completionism's sake: I want to complete all mainline Final Fantasy installments (only got 2, 11 and 14 to go). So I'd like to just power through the base game during the free trial. How feasible is that?
Well the Free trial only goes through the first expansion. So technically it's impossible. However you can "complete" the base game's story and the first expansion's story. It's really up to you. Those two stories alone will take you 150ish hours tbh.

Um, how do you "complete" an MMO? 0_0
I've done it. You complete every quest, level every job, and complete every dungeon.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Um, how do you "complete" an MMO? 0_0
You finish the main scenario.

I know that's not the primary intended experience for an MMO, but it's all I'm invested in while there's a subscription charge.

Well the Free trial only goes through the first expansion. So technically it's impossible. However you can "complete" the base game's story and the first expansion's story. It's really up to you. Those two stories alone will take you 150ish hours tbh.
Yeah, I'm not really counting expansions, like I wouldn't consider a post-release DLC necessary to say one had finished a game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You finish the main scenario.

I know that's not the primary intended experience for an MMO, but it's all I'm invested in while there's a subscription charge.

Yeah, I'm not really counting expansions, like I wouldn't consider a post-release DLC necessary to say one had finished a game.
Oh then if you just wanna beat the base game, you can do that in 60-70 hours depending on how focused you are. Thing about MMO's is that it's easy to get distracted.

Reactions: Silvanus

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Oh then if you just wanna beat the base game, you can do that in 60-70 hours depending on how focused you are. Thing about MMO's is that it's easy to get distracted.
Cool thanks, that's manageable. I'll see how I feel about Heavensward when I've finished, decide if I'm interested enough. But I already have an MMO so it probably won't convert me long-term.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Problem with finishing an mmo is that there's always a new expansion around the corner, 11 has been active for a long time now and they still release new content for it somehow.

Honestly, mmo are made to be very paddy and grindy as a mean to keep player engage while allowing easy social interaction at the same time. This doesn't make them all that interesting as something you just play solo to enjoy the story, since the bulk of what you'll be doing will be simple, unimportant quests fighting easy enemy that barely classify as speed bumb. I don't know if they fixed it since re-release, but at launch there wasn't enough quest to level up so you had to do these repeatable world quest that would randomly spawn, so that meant a lot of waiting around for them to trigger.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Hmm, I wonder what exactly is the bar that sets these minigames or callbacks from other games to be added to ff14?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Hmm, I wonder what exactly is the bar that sets these minigames or callbacks from other games to be added to ff14?
I'm willing to bet they tried but Blitzball was such an automated thing in FFX, they probably couldn't figure out a way to do it in 14 and make it fair or fun.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It absolutely wouldn't work as a multiplayer thing, stats were far too important and even a small lead in stats would let you dominate the opponent (ie you can score goal from anywhere in the field once your shoot score was high enough). At best they could just use the basic idea (underwater football) to make a new game around it.

Now I don't play sports and I don't understand whats fun about playing a large team sports where you spend most of your time just running back and forth on the field and touch the ball maybe 2% of the time, but plenty of people really seems to enjoy that so I'm sure they could make it work.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I think I came to this conclusion with Final Fantasy.

The best games are: 1, 3, 4, 5 and 9 and Tactics. Anything that has strong "Jobs" identity of Final Fantasy, Fantasy setting, and relevance of the Crystals (Tactics is an exception with the Crystal aspect I think)

Problems I have with other games:

2 is just mechanically awful to play.

6 is alright but its problems lay imo with its magicite system and how it pretty much renders the characters indivdual abilities of their class/jobs as worthless. Who needs Sabin's Blitz and Cyan's Bushido when you can give everyone the Ultima spell and they all work

7 has the same problems as 6 but worse in some ways. And it being 3 characters at a time really sucks, I want to run a party with Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Cid at the same time.

8 the god awful Junction system, level scaling, and dumb setting and plot.

10. 3 characters again but allivated by swapping mid-battle. Sphere System is a tedious chore to do to level up your characters, but the real killer of this game for me is oh my goodness, the end-game content and activities you can do because imo its the absolute worse of all the games even 7's. It is grindy, it is very luck based, getting the ultimate weapons and overdrive is a pain. Like once you pass the Zanarkand Ruins level the game opens up but the things to do to 100% the game are just not fun to do.

12. I am reserving judgement because I only played the original PS2 version and while I loved it, I still need to play the Zodiac Age version to appreciate the possible improvements of the game.

Haven't played 13 and 15 yet and the MMOs I dont' care for.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Haven't played 13 and 15 yet and the MMOs I dont' care for.
Skip 13, you're not missing much. Play the Lightning Returns spin-off for the wicked ass combat, but that's it; just YouTube FFXIII. XV is okayish, but don't expect too much. The story is ass and a broken mess too, but not as much as XIII's. Ironic, as XV was originally another XIII spin-off. Which explains so much of the bad development history, production, and the overall product feeling incomplete.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Skip 13, you're not missing much. Play the Lightning Returns spin-off for the wicked ass combat, but that's it; just YouTube FFXIII. XV is okayish, but don't expect too much. The story is ass and a broken mess too, but not as much as XIII's. Ironic, as XV was originally another XIII spin-off. Which explains so much of the bad development history, production, and the overall product feeling incomplete.
Lightning's ass is definitely displayed in combat.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
6 is alright but its problems lay imo with its magicite system and how it pretty much renders the characters indivdual abilities of their class/jobs as worthless. Who needs Sabin's Blitz and Cyan's Bushido when you can give everyone the Ultima spell and they all work
Giving everyone Ultima takes hours of grinding the esper up one person at a time and requires MP though. Sabin/Cyan/Gau (and probaby others) can just hit the damage limit as freebies wit their own natural progression.

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan