The hardest FPS of all time, making a list

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Tzatziki3301 said:
...any FPS game that gives you a targetting reticule a mile wide that your bullets hardly ever go near the centre of.
Halo is very guilty of that, especially with the assault rifle. It's still not that hard though.

Tzatziki3301

Aug 11, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Tzatziki3301 said:
...any FPS game that gives you a targetting reticule a mile wide that your bullets hardly ever go near the centre of.
Halo is very guilty of that, especially with the assault rifle. It's still not that hard though.
True. I meant more along the lines of the first Ghost Recon, where even firing a single shot never guaranteed it going where you thought it should and dying came quickly. Halo had the benefit of shields and health and encouraged you to charge in all guns blazing so a single bullet going awry wasn't an issue. Guess I just got too used to Rainbow 6 Vegas and the idea of precision aiming on all weapons so long as you used them properly, oh, and Counter Strike.

Dirty Saint

Jul 3, 2009
CoD:WaW - on veteran, it wasn't exceptionally hard except for one thing......
Psychic FUCKING grenades.........and usually a dozen or 2 of them at a time. ~.~

mendokusai

Jun 17, 2009
System Shock 2 and Deus Ex were quite a handful.

As were the original 3 Rainbow Six games and the first Ghost Recon.

But really nothing beats you harder than Operation Flashpoint (In America, you beat game. In Soviet Russia of Operation Flashpoint, game beats YOU!). Seriously, it was murderous.

I can't believe Halo on Legendary shows up on the list, true, it's challenging, but when compared to the above, it's like a walk in the proverbial park.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Tzatziki3301 said:
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Tzatziki3301 said:
True. I meant more along the lines of the first Ghost Recon, where even firing a single shot never guaranteed it going where you thought it should and dying came quickly. Halo had the benefit of shields and health and encouraged you to charge in all guns blazing so a single bullet going awry wasn't an issue. Guess I just got too used to Rainbow 6 Vegas and the idea of precision aiming on all weapons so long as you used them properly, oh, and Counter Strike.
Never played Ghost Recon but RSV2 is one of my all time favorite games, one of the better FPSs out there I think. Except the online play is very akward because people barely ever use cover, which defeats the purpose of the game. It like COD except you can actually strategize your assault instead of relying totally on skill gained through repetition.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
xXGINGERGNOMEXx said:
Monkeytacoz said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a nightmare, Vegas 2 is damn near impossible on Realism mode, and Doom 3 pissed me off
ma55ter_fett said:
Rainbow 6 Veagas (1 and 2) were both difficult (meaning I died alot) on the hardest difficulty.
WrongSprite said:
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 on Realistic setting. It's a one shot kill kinda thing anyway.
Really you guys struggled at rainbow 6 ??? I did all the terrorist hunts realistic lone wolf and only required a coop partner once(final gunship battle)
Seriously, I found COD WAY harder because of a lack of a cover system. I've beaten all the Terrorist Hunts on solo realistic and the campaign but I still find many parts of COD much harder than RSV2.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Halo 2 rather than Combat Evolved. The difficulty curve in Halo 2 on legendary was wierd, I remember having a fairly easy time on some of the final levels, but I NEVER managed to do the first level. It was psychotic.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Halo 2 Legendary is supposedly harder than Halo 1 Legendary. I say supposedly because I do not care about punishing myself in my FPS games. Now God Hand/DMC3, that's a different story.

^Drat, ninja'd in the SAME MINUTE.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
While open to interpretation - The hitman games - Go into first person and do it the shooty way on the hardest difficulty.

You'll wish you had the CoD regenerating life.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Torque669 said:
KillerMidget said:
Playing bloody Call of Duty: World at War on veteran. Thousands upon thousands of grenades laser-designated into my face.
Really? I did it on Veteran pretty easily, just kept moving and shooting for the most part.

My hardest FPS have to be Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing and all the ones you've already said.

COD2 and 4 were quite hard on their Hardest difficulty too.

I've yet to find a CoD game difficult. Seriously, they aren't. Even Mile High was pretty easy after a few tries of trial and error.

I don't know your description of it, but FPS games need for be from, well, the first person perspective. Uncharted 1 and 2 are third person. :)

I'd have to say Halo 3/Halo 3: ODST on Mythic difficulty. Seriously, that is just abusive.

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
The original Brothers in Arms. I don't care what difficulty mode you play it in. In fact, choose the easy one. I dare you. You'll get your ass pumped full of lead so much that your controller will break.

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
CoD 2 is pretty fucking hard ooh and ninja gaiden II(xbox360 version, not ps3 easier version) anyone? even in the "normal" setting it was hard as fucking hell, I dnon't want to imagine it in the master ninja setting

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Halo 2 and 3 on mythic difficulty were harder than Halo 1 on Legendary.
Isn't Mythic just Legendary with every skull turned on?

OT: CoD:WaW, it's the biggest pain in the ass on veteran. Also, Gears of War 2 on insane, while not an FPS, (it's a third person shooter), it is very difficult on Insane mode.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
Any FPS with a health regeneration game mechanic should be immidately wiped off this list. As there is no challenge in any of them.

Sep 13, 2009
Medal of Honour : Allied Assault

*that fucking sniper map*

any game made after this one is easy by default.

Oh, wait - Unreal Tournament Classic on adapting difficulty.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
xXGINGERGNOMEXx said:
Monkeytacoz said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a nightmare, Vegas 2 is damn near impossible on Realism mode, and Doom 3 pissed me off
ma55ter_fett said:
Rainbow 6 Veagas (1 and 2) were both difficult (meaning I died alot) on the hardest difficulty.
WrongSprite said:
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 on Realistic setting. It's a one shot kill kinda thing anyway.
Really you guys struggled at rainbow 6 ??? I did all the terrorist hunts realistic lone wolf and only required a coop partner once(final gunship battle)
So did I, but it took me a fair while, and I died a lot. I expect you did as well. Please don't be cocky.