The hardest FPS of all time, making a list

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
Left 4 Dead on Expert. A common infected deals close to 20 when in front, and if you startle a witch it's game over for you.

CoD 4 on Veteran too is extremely difficult. If you poke your head out to fire at the enemy, you'll die within three shots (which is usually in quick succession).

I would like to note that we should be making a list of games that are piss-hard on NORMAL difficulty (even Easy at a stretch).

Gauntes

Jun 22, 2009
1) Playing halo online and not being called fag, noob, asshole
2) playing crysis only using maximum nothing
3) After playing half life and not repeating the word 'Gordon Freeman' later

:D

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Final DOOM: The Plutonia Experiment was nigh impossible, CoD:WaW on Veteran also had it's moments of stupidity and let's not forget Earth Defence Force 2017 (I forget the exact year) on Inferno mode (even the first level is a seemingly insurmountable challange).

Jan 11, 2009
Does everyone really need to point out that the games harder on the hardest difficulty?

We're a smart forum I think we can figure it out for ourselves.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
KillerMidget said:
Playing bloody Call of Duty: World at War on veteran. Thousands upon thousands of grenades laser-designated into my face.
Usually Veteran mode has grenades accompanied by a million billion bullets in the face aswell, just in case you could be made more dead then you already were.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Talendra said:
The original ghost recon and rainbow six games were incredibly difficult, oh how I miss them.
*sigh*
yes, those were the days... :)
totally in agreement here; i still play them every once in a while since most more recent games are simply... simple and easy.
sitting there, planning your strategies and ways through the map, thinking about where and when to give which order... and then just rush through the mission in 2 or 3 minutes (after i don't know how much in-detail planning ^^ )

also, quake 1+2 were pretty hard (or i was just way too skill-less back then)

DeusEx 1 on realistic was a *****, too - no ammo, lots of deaths ;) if you played it as a FPS. if you were more sneaky and put you skillpoints in actual skills rather than just pimping dmg and accuracy of your weapons, you had to think more, but didn't die so much (if done properly :p )

Devour

Oct 21, 2009
I find the idiots that're saying Halo is difficult hilarious.

Operation Flashpoint is definitely the most difficult FPS of all time. I was only about ten when it came out, but I used to take turns playing it with my Dad trying to complete levels, and it was CRAZY.

Project IGI ( I'm Going In ) was also pretty difficult, and had a very clever "you can shoot through crappy materials to kill people on the other side" thing going on.

LegendaryMan

Jun 30, 2009
Halo A hard GAME???? Please that game was piss easy even on Legendary Difficulty.Everygame that
has health regenaration will always be in my opinion easy to hard but not Really hard.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Edzor said:
Melon Hunter said:
Edzor said:
chenry said:
I dunno, played a lot of them. CoD4 on Vet was pretty much controller-breaking difficult.
The problem in that sentence is the word "controller"...

Oh, and "console "gamer""...
Consider this though - wouldn't a PC gamer find it even harder using a controller?

Stop a flame war. Don't endorse PC eletism, kids.
No, because a PC gamer wouldn't use a controller to play an FPS game in a million years when we have 5600 DPI mice like the Razer Mamba, and keyboards like Razer Tarantula/Logitech G 19.

Controllers were made for consoles that originally ran 2d side scroller games, NOT FPS, Action and Strategy games...

The controller is an outdated piece of gaming equipment, no matter how many motion sensors it's makers keep cramming into it when a new console comes out...

On the other hand, the mouse is far from being outdated, and it keeps evolving...
Same for keyboards, Wheels (Logitech G 25), and Joysticks (Saitek X-52, anyone?)

Also, you spelled "elitism" wrong >.>
The fact that you had to make a point about saying that one out of two equal devices is outdated proves that yes...you are a tad on the 'elitist' side.

Controllers are not outdated (hence the fact that we are still using them) just as the keyboard and mouse isn't outdated either.

I have played FPS games on both PC and consoles and I still don't understand what this long running bitchiness is all about, 'oh, it's harder to aim with sticks', and? It's very easy to press the wrong button on a keyboard when you have over fifty to pick from and each one is the size of a thumbnail.

Both have their problems and both have their bonuses, take your pick.

JohnSmith

Jan 19, 2009
I don't think far cry was hard I think it was broken and this goes for the second one as well, the enemies could see me 2km away crawling slowly in grass in #2.

A number of the other games on here fall into the right weapon for the right situation pot-hole, rainbow six and gears of war were both relatively easy if you took the took/picked up the right equipment for the job.

I would say kane & lynch but it was just broken. Stupid truck...

So my vote goes with the original half life, so hard to kill things.

Reg5879

Jan 8, 2009
I'm seeing a lot of third person shooters on this topic for some reason. Anyway, I would go with...actually I can't think of a hard FPS game at the moment. :(

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Edzor said:
Melon Hunter said:
Edzor said:
chenry said:
I dunno, played a lot of them. CoD4 on Vet was pretty much controller-breaking difficult.

Consider this though - wouldn't a PC gamer find it even harder using a controller?

Stop a flame war. Don't endorse PC eletism, kids.
No, because a PC gamer wouldn't use a controller to play an FPS game in a million years when we have 5600 DPI mice like the Razer Mamba, and keyboards like Razer Tarantula/Logitech G 19.

Controllers were made for consoles that originally ran 2d side scroller games, NOT FPS, Action and Strategy games...

The controller is an outdated piece of gaming equipment, no matter how many motion sensors it's makers keep cramming into it when a new console comes out...

On the other hand, the mouse is far from being outdated, and it keeps evolving...
Same for keyboards, Wheels (Logitech G 25), and Joysticks (Saitek X-52, anyone?)

Also, you spelled "elitism" wrong >.>
I use both setups and I much prefer a controller.

It's more comfortable and just feels better.

I don't care if it's slightly less accurate, because I game to feel good and using a mouse gives me RSI and doesn't feel as nice as physically pulling a trigger to fire your gun.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
Edzor said:
chenry said:

Oh take your elitist bullshit somewhere else. Plus, I didn't even say "console gamer".

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
After looking through the thread, looks like Far Cry is the game most voted as the hardest fps game made.

spindle

Aug 23, 2008
foxlovingfreak said:
Bioshock on the hardest diffuclity with all the chambers that normally reive you turend off.
Seriously? that game was designed for toddlers to beat. You could beat it only using your plasmids. You were wayyyy too overpowered and the only challenge is killing the first big daddy. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, you must just suck something fierce.

THEfog101

Apr 18, 2009
You guys are pretty right with the Far cry and s.t.a.l.k.e.r being rather hard although at the time when half-life original came out i was like 8 i played that on its hardest difficulty and that was the opposite of laid-back-casual-game-thats-easy-to-finish. however i played far cry 2 lately and it actually wasn't that hard. also the only thing that made doom 1&2 hard is the bad draw distance rendering cause you could hardly distinguish a enemy from a barrel or mechanism until it shoots at you lol but halo 1 on legendary @ The Library was a bloody nightmare, halo 2&3 on mythic aren't as hard as they are cracked up to be though, might be cause i played halo 1 on xbox original and then 2&3 on 360