The hardest FPS of all time, making a list

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
kronoset said:
Halo ODST firefight (grunts w/ grenades) and star wars battlefront 2 online on elite difficulty with auto-aim and targeting off.
I agree with ODST being hard, but star wars battlefront2 was incredibly easy even without auto aim for the most part unless you happened to run into some guy on line who was just insane.

My vote definitally goes to Operation Flashpoint. It took me years to beat that game.

Amano

Oct 21, 2009
I could only complete Doom 2 with cheats on. I found it that hard (plus I didn't have enough patience)

HawkinsT

Feb 21, 2008
I think people listing games from the past ~2 years need to think a bit harder, majority of recent fps's havn't been that hard compared to many in the past (with the odd exception). Anyway, hard one that comes to mind off hand; Turok 2.

Snoopster

Dec 17, 2008
CrimsonAssassin said:
kronoset said:
Halo ODST firefight (grunts w/ grenades) and star wars battlefront 2 online on elite difficulty with auto-aim and targeting off.
I agree with ODST being hard, but star wars battlefront2 was incredibly easy even without auto aim for the most part unless you happened to run into some guy on line who was just insane.

My vote definitally goes to Operation Flashpoint. It took me years to beat that game.
Plus may I add the tiny detail that battlefront 2 was a third person shooter, and a brilliant one at that, never really found it hard either

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
AlphaOmega said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with Oblivion Lost on the hardest setting is almost impossible tbh.
I thought it would be too but I found it fairly easy. Getting going was tough but once I had scavenged enough ammo and medikits and got a decent suit it become quite easy. I completed it in a breeze, you just cant rush into things.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
operation flashpoint 2 on the hardest difficulty..

you will get sniped my the enemy AI, one shot one kill, and u wont know where it came from.

Knaas

Jan 21, 2009
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky (or plain fast; STALKER) Is the hardest I've ever played...

Enemies with magical scouting abillities and vision of the gods.... And AMAZING aiming skills... (somehow I never fired any bullets as straight as the others )

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
CyberAkuma said:
Hey guys

I'm pulling together a top 5 - maybe top 10 list of the most difficult FPS games of all time.
Even though I have a very long experience with FPS games (started with Wolf3D: Spear of Destiny) they are quite a lot of FPS games out there that I haven't tried.

I would like people to list their mind numbing, thumb breaking, teeth grinding and hard as balls FPS games they remember that are immensly difficult to beat.

The games I was going ot put up on the list this far are:

Far Cry - Realistic Mode
Halo 1 - Legendary Difficulty
S.W.A.T 4
Doom 1&2 on Nightmare Difficulty

I am open to any other serious suggestions.
Oh, and please don't put any Tournament Based FPS game son the list (Like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament) becuase those games don't really classify since they do not even have a Single Player campaign.

Cheers.
Far Cry I agree with, though I'd have to say Prey on Apache was pretty insane as well.
Halo I simply can't agree with, the game is such a crappy design overall that if you learn how to exploit its poor physics, slow speed, and horrible AI then you shouldn't have a problem, or for that matter if your used to playing things like Unreal 3. "as I am, I had no problem with any of the Halo games on legendary" As far as SWAT4 I wouldn't know, I didn't play it, I agree with Doom 2, but not Doom1. I would argue that Unreal 3 should be allowed into this because it does have a plot-line, in my opinion better than Halo's anyway. If shoddy writing is going to be allowed it should be allowed for all. At any rate Unreal 3 has some bangin physics and design so its a valid option. Have you thought of putting COD4 on Veteran on there? That was a beast.

CSRusty007

Oct 1, 2009
I'd have to day any of the Rainbow Six or original Ghost Recons are really tuff on harder difficulties. Even a few of the levels on regular difficulty where hard. I guess it because they tactical type games so makes them a lot more realistic.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Final Doom is well known as hard as nails, back when I was playing the tournie kings I couldn't crack it, and neither could they. I worked with a Guy that finished it, he was shit at games but something about Final Doom made him practise till he was total Pro at it.

System Shock (no explanation needed)
I heartily agree.

OP: For a different take Daikatana is impossibly hard because the NPC's aren't effected by the slowdown you are... broken.

The last level of Doom 2. What? I don't think I did it on any difficulty - confused into cheating.

May 6, 2009
Some parts of Half-Life 1 on the hard
the original Rainbow Six was at times unbearably hard
some of timespliters 2 challenges
F.E.A.R. 1 on the hardest difficulty
easily System Shock 2
Far Cry 1 on the hardest difficulty
the last mission of Half-life 2: episode 2

Kintarius

Feb 17, 2008
HUBILUB said:
The really short FPS part in Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy). The controls just suuuuuuuuuck, it's really hard to do that one good.
Bad design doesn't qualify as difficulty.

Lekhter

Sep 8, 2009
I must say that newer FPS games are nowhere near as difficult as Operation Flashpoint. OpFlash is not so much a game as it is a simulator and it's incredibly difficult.

I must agree though that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is also very difficult.

I see a lot of you posting that Vegas 2 on Realistic was the hardest, but really, if you play that game co-op and you utilise alot of "cover-then-shoot-then-cover-again" tactics, you can get through it. That game lets you know that you really need to think about every move you are going to make.

Sebass

Jul 13, 2009
Red Ring of Pissed off gamer said:
some of timespliters 2 challenges
Seriously, some of those fucking things made me throw my controller really hard on the floor in nerdragemode. Broke the rumbling too ;(

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Proteus214 said:
Some of the high difficulty challenges and hard mode missions in Timesplitters 2 were frustratingly difficult at times, much harder than what I have seen in most other FPSs.
This. Atom Smasher and Robot Factory were a ***** on normal, and I don't even want to think what hard was like. And don't even get me started on the "Nice Threads" challenge.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault could get pretty tough too, especially in those sniper levels.