The Humble Origin Bundle: 8 games redeemable on Origin

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
The Humble Origin Bundle: 8 games redeemable on Origin

https://www.humblebundle.com/

WTF... EA goes Humble Bundle? Well, that's a first. Didn't see that coming.

It's pretty cheap (as is always the case with indie bundles). But I still have to use Origin, so no thanks.

EDIT: all the money goes to charity. So EA won't get a penny. Fine then... I've donated some money.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Holy hell. That's...a really good deal. Hell, already have Origin because of ME3/BF3...no reason not to pick this up.

EDIT: It seems everything besides Dead Space 3, BF3 and the Sims 3 are also redeemable on Steam.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I think it's a charity/PR thing but still rather crazy, considering that some of those games are fairly new, especially DS3.

On a side note, five of the games (MoH, ME, Crysis 2, Burnout, DS) come with Steam codes if that's your preferred kind of poison.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I just can't wait to see the crazy completely rational reasons people find to complain about this. I mean, it's EA, there's no way they could ever do anything for any reason other than exclusively benefiting themselves at the expense of us peasants.

EDIT: Also does anyone want Dead Space/Burnout/Mirror's Edge/Crysis 2? Because I already have those.

EDIT 2: And people should take note that EA isn't taking a cut, so if your problem would be supporting them then there's nothing to worry about.

EDIT 3: And for anyone on the fence about using Origin, to say that it's not as bad as some people make it out to be would be a massive understatement.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
8 games for $5? That's pretty sweet. However, I already own two of them and of the bunch, there's only one the I want.....and even then I don't want it that badly. Still, it's only $5. I could always gift the games I already own. Hmmmm....highly tempting but I have so many games I haven't play yet just taking up space on my hard drive.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Phlakes said:
I just can't wait to see the crazy completely rational reasons people find to complain about this. I mean, it's EA, there's no way they could ever do anything for any reason other than exclusively benefiting themselves at the expense of us peasants.
Indeed... while you brought it up, let me start:

Dead and deceased:
Dead Space
Burnout? Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Crysis® 2 Maximum Edition
Mirror's Edge

Failed games:
Medal of Honor
Dead Space 3

Getting people hooked on DLC's and sequels:
Battlefield 3
The Sims 3 + Starter Pack

See, EA is still evil!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Pretty clever PR move on EA's part. Take a bunch of games that aren't really selling much anymore I would imagine but were (For the most part) well received, slap em on sale, then announce all proceeds go to charity. Instant goodwill!

Not going to make up for all the crap EA keeps pulling in my mind, but it's a nice gesture nonetheless.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Decent games but none I'm interested in and no Linux versions obviously so I think it will have to be a pass this time. Nice that you get steam and origin codes for most of the games. Are EA maybe turning up with the goods on turning over a new leaf maybe?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
Most of those games kind of suck. I find it hilarious that they don't give you DS2, which is supposedly the best one of the 3. BF3 is Origin only. It's cheap and for charity anyway. I don't trust EA enough with Origin.

I want to know if EA are making enough money with their DLC schemes, since they cut out the Steam install base that does not want to have a client for every single publisher out there. I also question the wisdom of a publisher focused on managing several large projects for multiple franchises having their own clients, since they have a habit of dying.

Again, this is for charity, so whatever.
Considering it's a Humble Bundle, there's a good chance DS2 and/or Crysis 1 are going to be added in a couple of weeks. Obviously no guarantee, but that's usually how these things work.

Also, there's more to this than PR. This is going to get people installing and using Origin, which means people will be more likely to use it. I mean it doesn't matter how great a sale is if nobody is aware of it, you know? They're operating under the same principle Valve was when they gave Portal away for free, which in my case led to them getting a few hundred bucks and growing out of me over time. Multiply that by a few thousand people, and suddenly it makes sense as a business move.

What's surprising to me is that someone at EA is apparently paying attention to the long term. Their biggest problem is all they seem to care about are short term profits, screwing the long term over in the process.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
Anyone who finds it in their heart to complain about this, can kinda go ram it up their arse as far as I am concerned. Yes, it's a ploy to get people to use Origin. Sure. I can handle that. The games are all AAA titles, 5 of which can be redeemed on Steam (That's what I am doing) Hell, 1 dollar nets you 6 games. NONE of it goes to Ea. All to Humble or Charity. To fault Humble for doing this is wrong. To fault EA for doing this is wrong. If you hate the games? Fine. Don't buy them. I get that. But realize that you could be getting quite a few hours of fun out of these, for the price you pay for a soda. Charity: Take my dollar. May it serve you well.

(I don't care for Origin, and prefer Steam's interface and the like. Five games for a buck, three of which I want to play, is fantastic.)

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I think this is pretty much exclusively a move to get people to install Origin. There's a sideline in trying to shift DLC of course (Battlefield 3 pretty much doesn't exist without DLC and you can't get more of a DLC engine than Sims 3) but breaking down the resistance people have to paying money for obtrusive spyware has to be the main goal.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Hahahahahahahahaha

No.

Not even free games will get me to download and install Origin onto my computer.

Then again, I might partake in this just to get Mirror's Edge, since that's really the only game on there that I particularly care about, and it's available as a steam download.

If I do end up getting the bundle this will probably be the first humble bundle where I won't give any money to the developers because EA can fuck right off.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
Hahahahahahahahaha

No.

Not even free games will get me to download and install Origin onto my computer.

Then again, I might partake in this just to get Mirror's Edge, since that's really the only game on there that I particularly care about, and it's available as a steam download.

If I do end up getting the bundle this will probably be the first humble bundle where I won't give any money to the developers because EA can fuck right off.
Well I guess you will be happy to know that all proceeds are going to various charities.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
So glad I am a cheap-ass gamer.
I don't have NONE of this games.......NONE!!!
I will enjoy this bundle.......if I have time.....*snif*