The Humble Origin Bundle: 8 games redeemable on Origin

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Carnagath said:
Question to people who have used Origin before:

I'm trying to download Dead Space 3, but the download just stops every, like, 200-300 mb or so and just sits there. I can't even pause/resume it at that point. I need to restart the whole client, and then it continues for a little bit. Is this a problem due to overload? Is this, like, normal? Is it a problem on my end somehow? Halp.
I have the same problem with Battlefield 3. I've managed to download 5 GB like that, but I have to restart Origin every 20 minutes or so. However, my friend downloaded Sims 3 just fine in one go, so I'm not sure how much this problem owes to the server overload because of the bundle.
[sub]This never would have happened on Steam grumble grumble...[/sub]

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Phlakes said:
I just can't wait to see the crazy completely rational reasons people find to complain about this. I mean, it's EA, there's no way they could ever do anything for any reason other than exclusively benefiting themselves at the expense of us peasants.

EDIT: Also does anyone want Dead Space/Burnout/Mirror's Edge/Crysis 2? Because I already have those.

EDIT 2: And people should take note that EA isn't taking a cut, so if your problem would be supporting them then there's nothing to worry about.

EDIT 3: And for anyone on the fence about using Origin, to say that it's not as bad as some people make it out to be would be a massive understatement.
I would love to have Burnout...

OT: This seems like a really good deal, I heard about this yesterday.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Carnagath said:

I'm trying to download Dead Space 3, but the download just stops every, like, 200-300 mb or so and just sits there. I can't even pause/resume it at that point. I need to restart the whole client, and then it continues for a little bit. Is this a problem due to overload? Is this, like, normal? Is it a problem on my end somehow? Help.
Overload would be my guess.

I've not bothered even trying to download yet because the EA servers are going to be getting hammered while this deal is running. Just going to wait and download when everyone else has finished.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
If anyone wants Dead Space (Steam or Origin), Dead Space 3 (Origin) or Mirror's Edge (Steam),[footnote]Mirror's Edge has been taken.[/footnote] PM me and I'll give you the codes. I don't want two of them and already own the other.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
The only games in there I have any interest in are the two Dead Space titles and Battlefield 3. Given that I've already played the Dead Space series, and I'm in no particular rush to reinstall Origin to play Battlefield 3, I'm probably going to give this a pass.

But hell, it's for charity, right? No better time then to find out why Mirror's Edge got such a following, and why Medal of Honor was such a supposedly shitty game since I can play them both on Steam.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
toquio3 said:
SweetShark said:
LetalisK said:
So they have Dead Space 1 and 3, but no Dead Space 2? I don't get it.
Humble Bundle is very well-known for the extra game its put after some days.
I guess DS2 maybe will relieved later.
I always hated this hiding of games until later. I bought the bundle for $1 because i didnt want bf3 and the sims. I did want dead space 2 though, so if they add that later, I just wont buy the thing a second time just to beat the average. They end up losing money because I would totally pay $5 if the humble bundle werent dicks and just came out honestly with ALL the games on the deal.
There's an option in the account page to add to what you have already payed. When the new games come out, you don't have to respend that dollar, you simply add to that dollar to meet the average.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Father Time said:
Phlakes said:
I just can't wait to see the crazy completely rational reasons people find to complain about this. I mean, it's EA, there's no way they could ever do anything for any reason other than exclusively benefiting themselves at the expense of us peasants.
I heard people say 'oh it's just a way to get people to install origin and up their user base'.

It may be, but who cares. You don't have to get the bundle if you don't want.
Origin is in such a pathetic state at the moment that I guess most people will hurry to uninstall it after they're done playing what they got for basically free. I know I will. So I don't think that's gonna work.
Seneschal said:
Carnagath said:

I'm trying to download Dead Space 3, but the download just stops every, like, 200-300 mb or so and just sits there. I can't even pause/resume it at that point. I need to restart the whole client, and then it continues for a little bit. Is this a problem due to overload? Is this, like, normal? Is it a problem on my end somehow? Halp.
I have the same problem with Battlefield 3. I've managed to download 5 GB like that, but I have to restart Origin every 20 minutes or so. However, my friend downloaded Sims 3 just fine in one go, so I'm not sure how much this problem owes to the server overload because of the bundle.
[sub]This never would have happened on Steam grumble grumble...[/sub]
Yeah after restarting Origin about 25 times today, I can safely say I'm done with this. Cancelled my download and unistalled this piece of shit from my system. Gonna stick with the Steam versions. Playing Dead Space 3 is on indefinite hold for me. Only even considered using it because the games were basically free and it still pissed me off enough to eventually lose interest, good luck trying to sell me a full price game on that shit in the future.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Some of the games are rather... lackluster. Medal of Honor plays like a failed Battlefield clone, Dead Space 3 has had its large amount of hate for its reliance on online transactions, Burnout: Paradise is such a niche game.

Dead Space 1 and Mirror's Edge, while being a bit on the old side and now unsupported, are still great games. I've sunk a good amount of time in Battlefield 3, but I hate the game's constant pushing to make you buy Premium. Honestly, I've never played Crysis 2 (installing it now) because I used to not be able to run it, or The Sims because I just don't like The Sims.

It got my friends to get Battlefield 3 so we can play together and junk, so I love it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
4RM3D said:
WTF... EA goes Humble Bundle? Well, that's a first. Didn't see that coming.
It's not much different than THQ

It's pretty cheap (as is always the case with indie bundles). But I still have to use Origin, so no thanks.
It's probably been pointed out but only three of the games don't have Steam keys. You get both for the rest.

EDIT: all the money goes to charity. So EA won't get a penny. Fine then... I've donated some money.
Which was the split I would have gone for anyway.

Phlakes said:
Funny thing is, I suspect this is a totally cynical move on their end. But it benefits charity and I get a couple of games I would have ended up paying a lot more for otherwise. While I have no doubt they did this for PR, I also benefit, so I won't *****.

Horon

Apr 19, 2010
I would have TOTALLY gone for this had I not just gotten done listening to a friend go on and on about all the problems he has had with Origin.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Gatx said:
TehCookie said:
If they provide Steam keys for most of the games doesn't it ruin the point of making you install Origin?

Well it's worth it for Mirror's Edge at least. Also it will be nice to have an updated driving game, since I've still been playing Midtown Madness for my fix.
The point isn't to force you to install Origin, it's to raise money for charity, and generate good will from gamers.
That's just what they want you to think, EA obviously can't do anything good. They're an evil company wanting to take over all of gaming and this is just a ploy to get you to like them! That's why they left off Dead Space 2! Because you have one and three so you have to buy that one full price for the entire experience!

Or at least that's what someone wearing a tinfoil hat would say. It's not a very good ploy when you get Steam keys for every game that matters (IMHO).

Father Time said:
Oh and they got Burnout Paradise in the bundle.

What is midtown madness anyway?
Burnout Paradise is what I was referring to when I said an updated driving game. All driving games are pretty much the same to me, hence why I've been content with a racing game from the 90's.

Okay maybe it looks a little dated compared to modern ones but it's still a fun game. I really like it because it has cheat codes and secret areas, which I find details like as something that shows the devs cared about the game.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
omegaweopon said:
toquio3 said:
SweetShark said:
LetalisK said:
So they have Dead Space 1 and 3, but no Dead Space 2? I don't get it.
Humble Bundle is very well-known for the extra game its put after some days.
I guess DS2 maybe will relieved later.
I always hated this hiding of games until later. I bought the bundle for $1 because i didnt want bf3 and the sims. I did want dead space 2 though, so if they add that later, I just wont buy the thing a second time just to beat the average. They end up losing money because I would totally pay $5 if the humble bundle werent dicks and just came out honestly with ALL the games on the deal.
There's an option in the account page to add to what you have already payed. When the new games come out, you don't have to respend that dollar, you simply add to that dollar to meet the average.
You don't even need to add anything to how much you paid originally. Any games added are given to EVERYONE that has bought it before the introduction of new games. This happened to me last month when I bought one for $1 because I wasn't interested in the unlockable part and I was given all of the new games for free.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Found this text earlier today(though I can't figure out where it was). Don't know if it's true though.
"Also leaked today was the soon to be unlocked bonus Humble Origin Bundle games
C&C Red Alert 3: Uprising
Dead Space 2
Bulletstorm (German version is cut, sorry people)
Medal of Honor: Ariborne (German version is uncut, go figure)"

Really good bonus if you don't have any of the games. I own DS2 and Bulletstorm already, and the other two games I couldn't care less about.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
4RM3D said:
WTF... EA goes Humble Bundle? Well, that's a first. Didn't see that coming.
It's not much different than THQ
THQ went bankrupt. So the bundle might have been a last effort to save as much as possible.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
No! NO!!

I can donate to those causes straight through their websites. I'm not fooled by your bullshit act of charity EA, i know you're evil! You're only doing this to try and put up a facade of being good people to try and get us to forget your free-to-pay/online pass/always on DRM bullshit! I'm not falling for this! I'll keep up my regular charity acts and keep Origin off of my precious laptop.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
4RM3D said:
THQ went bankrupt. So the bundle might have been a last effort to save as much as possible.
It also might have been an attempt to stop the universe from being swallowed by a giant sea turtle.

Letitha

Feb 28, 2009
Heard lots of awful things about Origin, but have really wanted the Sims for a while, and getting the opportunity to play Mirror's Edge, Burnout and Dead Space on my PC as I rarely use the PS3 I have them all for sounded great too - and all the proceeds go to charity/humble bundle? Sounds awesome.

Edit: I take all my bile back. Fixed it (though possibly not the speed issue) and it's all downloaded. This makes me happy enough, but I don't plan on downloading anything else through Origin in the future. Not even the add-ons I got with the Sims...