The Inbetweeners USA Trailer.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Inb4 "nationality has nothing to do with it".

To be fair it doesn't, but a lot of lazy american writers keep making it big so AAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

To quote a friend of mine this isn't necessary, Superbad was essentially american Inbetweeners, it was american humour. If England copied american jokes like this it would suck, like an english two and a half men, put aside your feelings on the show and imagine how extra awful that would be.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
The Office USA

I'm just waiting for them to take Dr Who and butcher the fuck out of that as well.
Hey hey hey... The Office was okay... hell, still written by Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant I believe (well at least some of it was) and is still amusing and entertaining.
Also, give it time... give it time... they'll find it, and murder it. Hell, I think they shot those most recent episodes in America to appease them or something.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, this is nothing new. I mean, some US remakes like Shameless and The Office are actually not half bad but... the majority of US remakes just suck ass. Urgh.

Suki_ said:
AnarchistFish said:
This looks like a spoof more than a remake.
The reason The Inbetweeners worked in the UK is the same reason it never would in the US, even if they showed the original. Our culture has this fascination with people making fools of themselves and we love it. That's why the Apprentice is so immensely popular here.

Suki_ said:
I have never heard of this show before but I just watched this trailer and a couple of the UK ones. I have to say the UK one looks like complete shit compared to this remake.
Yeah your opinion is just wrong
Oh wow how insightful of you. That you for bringing clarity to me with that completley fucking useless post.

As for your first point it proves you know absolutely fuck all about American culture.
I'm with Anarchist on this one. I'm always the guy to go "hey, opinions are opinions so they can't be wrong!" but... no. You're just wrong on this one, buddy.

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
Oh dear. Another perfectly good show ruined. And if Misfits isn't safe then it's only a matter of time before they get their hands on Only Fools and Horses

In times like these, there's only one place we can go.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Meh, I just watched a clip from the brittish version, and to me, it felt just as bad.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
NO, NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO! You do not ruin my 2nd favourite comedy series of the last ten years with a shitty remake!

It looks so watered down as well, like when you see the kid with the broken leg hit with a football, that is such a tame copy of the mentally disabled kid getting hit with the frisbee which was fucking hilarious but would probably be called offensive by alot of Americans!

The characters don't look relatable they look like generic american sitcom characters, the best part about The Inbetweeners was that I knew people who were pretty much the same and were relatable.

The Inbetweeners finished on such a high note (the movie was great) that this is shitting on its legacy!

If they do Peep Show USA then god help you all...

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I don't understand the big reaction behind this. So they're making a remake? Big fucking deal. It's not like the old show is somehow going to be tampered with or recut, it's over with and they had a movie and everything. This doesn't shit on it's legacy or any other crap like that, it will have no impact whatsoever on the original show (besides probably boosting sales).

Sometimes the bitching on this site can be too much

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, come on, it can't be that bad. *watches video*

Oh, Thanks America. First you ruined Red Dwarf with an awful American remake now you're gonna ruin The Inbetweeners as well?

If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Suki_ said:
Sparrow said:
I'm with Anarchist on this one. I'm always the guy to go "hey, opinions are opinions so they can't be wrong!" but... no. You're just wrong on this one, buddy.
Why? Because I dont find a shitty show funny?

Yes this show will probably suck but you know what, from the youtube clips I saw and this trailer I say its going to suck less then the british version. If you got a problem with that well get off your high horse and get the fuck over it.
I... what? "High horse"? I'm not on a high horse, no reason to swear and act all pissy. I was simply saying that your opinion, as a result of 2 minutes of watching 2 minutes of YouTube videos, is a pretty shitty variety of opinion.

I mean, maybe you just watched bad clips online? Or, maybe you don't understand the humour. And I don't mean "hurr durr you're American so you're stupid", because I have no clue about where you come from, I mean you seriously are most likely missing the appeal of the show because, and I can't stress this point enough, you just skimmed through clips online. Also, a lot of the jokes are self-referencing. You wouldn't have laughed because you were watching the show half way through.

By all means, if you start at the beginning of the show and watch it through and THEN decide you think it's shitty, fair enough. Otherwise, your opinion has no merit or value because, and I'll say it again just in case you missed it the first time, YOU JUST SKIMMED THROUGH CLIPS ON YOUTUBE. You realise you could do this with any show, right? Just start bang in the middle of Firefly and find a clip that makes jokes about the previous episode. You'd sit there thinking "I don't find this funny", and you know why? It's not the show's fault, it's YOUR damn fault.

So to round my point off, stop acting like a dick to people. Cut down on the swearing and the overly abrasive attitude and give the section under "Don't Be a Jerk" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct] another look.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Suki_ said:
AnarchistFish said:
This looks like a spoof more than a remake.
The reason The Inbetweeners worked in the UK is the same reason it never would in the US, even if they showed the original. Our culture has this fascination with people making fools of themselves and we love it. That's why the Apprentice is so immensely popular here.

Suki_ said:
I have never heard of this show before but I just watched this trailer and a couple of the UK ones. I have to say the UK one looks like complete shit compared to this remake.
Yeah your opinion is just wrong
Oh wow how insightful of you. That you for bringing clarity to me with that completley fucking useless post.
Thank you for your equally clear post about how the UK version is shit compared to this fucking abomination.

Suki_ said:
As for your first point it proves you know absolutely fuck all about American culture.
Errr what? I wasn't talking about American culture. Our culture in the UK is obsessed with taking the piss and humiliating people to an extremely crude level just for comedy, more so than I've seen anywhere else. I mean I know you get that to an extent in the US but have you ever watched TV here?

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I don't like the inbetweeners as it is and I am actually angry about this things existance.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
Wow. How fucking dreadful. The british version was so awesome because it the characters were just like real british teenagers (Scarily similar to some people I know actually), I don't understand how it could translate to America very well at all. In theory I could see a US version working if it was redone completely, but then it wouldn't really be The Inbetweeners at all.
Speaking as someone who was a US Teenager at one point, guess what? You're not that different. In fact, I'd say that the archetypes shown in that trailer fit US teenagers almost perfectly.

Also, considering that it's MTV (which is basically the absolute worst of the worst television over here) that was actually kinda okay as far as quality is concerned.

Besides, it's not like this is going to retroactively destroy the British version of the show.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Suki_ said:
AnarchistFish said:
Errr what? I wasn't talking about American culture. Our culture in the UK is obsessed with taking the piss and humiliating people to an extremely crude level just for comedy, more so than I've seen anywhere else. I mean I know you get that to an extent in the US but have you ever watched TV here?
This right here is what I was talking about.

The reason The Inbetweeners worked in the UK is the same reason it never would in the US, even if they showed the original. Our culture has this fascination with people making fools of themselves and we love it.
American culture loves to watch people at their worst. Its one of the reasons they are so obsessed with hollywood and reality tv shows. They love watching other people make complete fools of themselves.

You might be laughing at it for different reasons then the Americans but in the end you both still find the same things funny. One of the reasons it would need a remake aside from the whole actors guild thing is that Americans have a hard time relating to people of other countries. It doesnt matter if the only real difference is an accent and the way they dress thats just the way it is.
I'm willing to bet it's bigger in the UK than it is in the US.

The crude aspect is another important thing though. Probably more so actually. And The Inbetweeners looks really closely at the UK school culture which is probably different to the US one, so there's observational humour which makes it more relatable for us and why it became a bit of a cult programme. I can't remember anything else before like it. There was Skins, but that was much more serious and much darker.

And the grit. Even down to the style it was filmed in, that defined it. Never seen anything American recorded that way.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Geo Da Sponge said:
You forgot IT Crowd USA.
IT... CROWD... USSSSAAAAA!!!!!!!!

OT:I don't know why, but I fuckin' hate American remakes of British shows. I liked how the griminess of the UK fit in with the Inbetweeners, but this US version seems to throw that out the window for sun and american football and other shite.