The Knight

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Jaw like a brick wall was a great line. I've really liked this arc, but it gives me a sense of impending doom as her problems are clearly getting worse.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Devoneaux said:
Rijor said:
All I have to point to...

'Dude, I've been rubbing the fuck out of your leg for, like, the past 10 minutes! Wait, that's my leg...'

Makes so much sense now! :D
Honestly it just raises more questions, like how did Link bring her those drinks? If he didn't was she only just pretend drunk? How would that even work?
There was a study done once where non-alcoholic drinks were given out at a party labelled as alcoholic. The party goers all acted like they were drinking alcoholic drinks. The placebo effect is a very powerful thing.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
I'm with Devoneaux on this one, the biggest problem isn't that it went on too long, wasn't funny, or had physics that aren't 100% realistic (really, guys? Did you do this with Fight Club too?), but that it was a really uncompelling story. Link's behaviour now makes more sense when you go back and read the arc again, but Erin started as an unfunny, unlikeable asshole and ended as an unfunny, unlikeable asshole that solves her problems with violence. We've learned that her inner child is smarter than she is (apparently) and that she has no reasonable idea of how to react to a situation.

This arc could have actually been really good. I was pleasantly surprised by the twist at the end, and the idea that parts of her psyche are competing with each other to take control is a good one. "The Erin Stout way is to come back swinging" makes for a great way to climax and end a scene, too, and a takes-no-crap shoulder-angel (so to speak) could prove a very interesting character. The script needed serious tightening up, though, and none of the issues were handled in a way that made me root for the main character, simply because she didn't seem to have any emotional register other than "Sarcastic quip! I'm an angry *****!"

That's my two cents. The kind of two cents that makes people come after you with pointed sticks that are on fire, but two cents nonetheless.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
so she doesn't hallucinate exclusively with videogame protagonists anymore, where will this end?

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
So, we have to actually worry MORE about her sanity, after all this. Also, characters that only exist in your head can have conversations without you seeing them (and they can change clothes, too), apparently... I guess Erin really is a Goddess, and her dreams become alive... That doesn't sound good for the future of humanity.

The real problem here is that we seem to have gone full circle, nothing lost, nothing gained, so this arc sounds even more pointless, thanks to this "twist-that-wasn't-exactly-a-twist-since-many-people-called-this-before-and-the-only-reason-they-stopped-believing-it-was-that-it-would-make-the-story-even-more-absurd-which-it-did" (I don't know how you call this, but I wouldn't mind calling it "lemon" or "pachinko", these words have a nice sound).

The fact that it might be a Fight Club reference (Fight Club isn't the first time I saw such a concept, so I am not sure if one necessarily thinks of it whenever one tries this idea), isn't a good excuse, I don't think it's done very well (I can pull a twist like this whenever I like, I just need to add "it was all more or less a dream", but the hints must be there to make it valuable, at least in hindsight... There aren't any worth being called hints, just some foreshadowing when Link said "maybe your subconscious is trying to help you out").

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Figured he was in her head to be honest. That said, didn't realize it was Link. Huh.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Clearing the Eye said:
I don't get it. What was the entire point of everything that happened from the bar onward?
I'm sort of in the same boat as the above guy. Was any of that real? This is as bad as an "It was all a dream!" ending.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Kapol said:
Figured he was in her head to be honest. That said, didn't realize it was Link. Huh.
Don't worry, it's not like it REALLY is Link. It could have been anyone, frankly, they probably just liked the idea of using Link (how Erin can't recognize the Link from her imagination is a totally different question).

It would have been fun having Kratos in a suit as a disguise, instead of using Link, though... That's a missed opportunity.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
???

THAT WAS LINK!?

Seriously, I didnt see that coming.

So, does this mean that Erin is not gonna be seeing and/or listening to videogame characters again? If so, then let the rebuilding phase begin...

*Edit*

saintdane05 said:
So, does that mean we won't see more of Mini Erin/Toph?

>About the whole reveal shibang.
<youtube=kdhhQhqi_AE>
*long string of explitives*

ninja'd

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
itsthesheppy said:
Clearing the Eye said:
I don't get it. What was the entire point of everything that happened from the bar onward?
I'm sort of in the same boat as the above guy. Was any of that real? This is as bad as an "It was all a dream!" ending.
I just... Why did she flirt with him and start a fight for his attention after only seconds earlier telling him to fuck off? Yeah, she's a complex character, that's super. But frosty people don't drop their guard and proclaim their wanting to fuck you after a few minutes of meeting you. If it was all in her mind, how did he cause her to look inward? Why did she imagine it with her having a bunch of fights and being held out a window? WHY DID ANY OF THIS HAPPEN? I just don't get it! *sob*

I feel like they just made a bunch of random scenes o_O

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
THAT was Link? With that massive jaw? I've never played anything Link related but isn't he supposed to be a kid of some sort?

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Huh. That makes a surprising amount of sense. Sort of.

Well whatever, alls well that ends well, right?

Mokuren

Feb 19, 2009
The Last Melon said:
I'm with Devoneaux on this one, the biggest problem isn't that it went on too long, wasn't funny, or had physics that aren't 100% realistic (really, guys? Did you do this with Fight Club too?), but that it was a really uncompelling story. Link's behaviour now makes more sense when you go back and read the arc again, but Erin started as an unfunny, unlikeable asshole and ended as an unfunny, unlikeable asshole that solves her problems with violence. We've learned that her inner child is smarter than she is (apparently) and that she has no reasonable idea of how to react to a situation.

This arc could have actually been really good. I was pleasantly surprised by the twist at the end, and the idea that parts of her psyche are competing with each other to take control is a good one. "The Erin Stout way is to come back swinging" makes for a great way to climax and end a scene, too, and a takes-no-crap shoulder-angel (so to speak) could prove a very interesting character. The script needed serious tightening up, though, and none of the issues were handled in a way that made me root for the main character, simply because she didn't seem to have any emotional register other than "Sarcastic quip! I'm an angry *****!"

That's my two cents. The kind of two cents that makes people come after you with pointed sticks that are on fire, but two cents nonetheless.
Incidentally, I liked Fight Club up until it started becoming pretentious and full of pseudo-political quasi-psychologism bullshit. Which is the former half of the movie.

All in all, even though this twist does kind of "save" the arc, it still doesn't make it good. Plot holes aside, my problem is that the story and characters just aren't compelling; I mean what was the point of this whole arc? What has changed? What has evolved? What did Erin learn? It's almost appalling that Link, a figment of her imagination, got a huge load of character development, mainly thanks to this "twist", but Erin still didn't even come close to even tangling with her own problems.

All that was unresolved before is still unresolved, Erin learned absolutely nothing and she's in no better position than before and all of her relationships with real people are still where they were left. Hell, her imaginary friends talk and behave a lot more like real people than she does.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
A few people called this at the beginning of the arc (I was not among them) so it's not OMGWTFBBQ surprising, but it's still a cool twist.
^_^ i was among them. pretty sure i was the first person to comment on it when he showed up in the story. :p i know i was first page. If anyone cares enough to cite it.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I THOUGHT that guy looked like Link in the first comic! Way to make me completely forget about my original guess.

I actually like where this plot went. It makes it less creepy in a "holy crap who is this weirdo" kind of way and more creepy in a "holy crap her psyche is taking over her mind!" Which is the better kind of creepy.

Good ending!