The Knight

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Devoneaux said:
artanis_neravar said:
Devoneaux said:
artanis_neravar said:
Scrustle said:
How did a hallucination dangle someone out of a window by their feet?
Little Girl Erin did say she was "going back in" so if I had to guess they were temporarily real, especially since they were interacting without Erin being there
I'm reminded of the ME3 ending slightly:

Nothing makes sense.

I'm left with more questions than answers in what was supposedly the conclusion.
Because it's not really a conclusion like that, it ended a story arc, but the overall arc is still going on.
Well aren't we at least supposed to know something? As far as I can tell at this point, part of her mind just went rogue and is now proactively trying to fuck with her. And if that is indeed all I was supposed to take from this, then great, did we really need to set this up over three months?
We know she wants to get better now, beyond that I have no idea

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Ooookay, this raises all sorts of plot hole questions. Such as, how did Erin hang herself out of a window if "Link" was just another hallucination? Was -that- a hallucination? If so, where was Erin in reality, passed out on the floor of the empty apartment? How is she not aware of the conflict/collaboration going on between the voices in her head and her "inner child"? How do the voices and inner child hang around when she's not nearby?

That aside, frankly I don't get what sort of revelation this is supposed to be for Erin. She got drunk 'cause she was feeling depressed about lashing out at her room mate and coworker both emotionally and physically. So her inner child reminds her of her philosophy that there's no problem she can't handle by charging it head on with aggression, so...she solves her problem with "Link" by getting violent AGAIN. Not exactly a huge epiphany for her, I'd say.

Rijor

Aug 14, 2010
All I have to point to...

'Dude, I've been rubbing the fuck out of your leg for, like, the past 10 minutes! Wait, that's my leg...'

Makes so much sense now! :D

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
But wait if this guy is Link then what actually happened back at that bar fight?

Rijor said:
All I have to point to...

'Dude, I've been rubbing the fuck out of your leg for, like, the past 10 minutes! Wait, that's my leg...'

Makes so much sense now! :D
My mind has been blown.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
saintdane05 said:
So, does that mean we won't see more of Mini Erin/Toph?

>About the whole reveal shibang.
<youtube=kdhhQhqi_AE>
Gah, beat me to it.

The hallucinations are having hallucinations which the hallucinator is also having.

My mind is full of fuck. Still, pretty good ending to the arc.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I saw it coming, but still, if he's only a figment of her imagination, how did he hold her off the edge of the window? He's not there, so that didn't happen?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
If more people had watched Fight Club there would be a lot less confusion here. Yeah, this is a mindfuck, but it's pretty much a Fight Club reference.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
A few people called this at the beginning of the arc (I was not among them) so it's not OMGWTFBBQ surprising, but it's still a cool twist.
A lot of them since recanted, though, which makes this turnout kind of amusing.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Devoneaux said:
Imp Emissary said:
Devoneaux said:
Imp Emissary said:
Well that was neat. Not much more to say. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Hopefully nothing. I hope he just takes the spot Lee Lee left open for practice writing out a thematically coherent plot with deep and meaningful characters. Lord knows he could certainly use it. =/
Oh come now. Buck up bud. It wasn't all bad. Surely it was interesting enough to get us all to keep watching. As for your questions above;
1. Most of the holding her out the window stuff was probably just in her head. Like when she was in little Erin's game room.

2. Yeah, it would seem that it was all little Erin's plan.

3. What was the point? Like the little one said, to make Erin stop being all woe is me, and actively do something about it her way. Head on, with some fists and what not.

As for why all that wasn't said so directly....Well, 1. you can only have so much said at one time in a web comic without it ending up sounding over written, and 2. The only other way is to make the arc even longer to make room for it all, and I don't think many people would like either.

Besides, it's over now, right?
Well based on what others have said, maybe not. We can possibly expect more of this somewhere down the line. I know it's not the worst thing i've ever read. But the only reason I saw it through was because of the good will built up from his previous work. I see ambition in this arc but a near complete lack of focus and the understanding of how to write characters deeper than "Grr, i'm a ***** to everyone all the time!" really did cripple this arc. I'm not saying he should never do this again, but I would much prefer that he find another outlit for this creative spark. I came to this series on the pretense that it was about video games. Just putting link in like the last panel doesn't qualify in my book and i'd really like him to get back to what he was doing prior.
Eh, I get what you're saying. But besides apologising to her friends about the whole "I'm not crazy!"(followed by something crazy), and possibly getting some help I don't see what else there is to do. Hmmm...You know if Erin starts going to see a therapist they could tie in gaming news bits with her sessions. Like she could talk about how Master Chief has been annoying her about the live action Halo movie because one of the Twilight vampires is playing him, or because he thinks they are making him look too fat in Halo 4. Ya know something like that. We'll see.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Devoneaux said:
Honestly it just raises more questions, like how did Link bring her those drinks? If he didn't was she only just pretend drunk? How would that even work?
She got the drinks herself? I know this isn't necessarily how mental illness works, but it is in the movies.

DJ_DEnM said:
I saw it coming, but still, if he's only a figment of her imagination, how did he hold her off the edge of the window? He's not there, so that didn't happen?
Yes, it didn't happen.

Honestly, not sure what people aren't getting about this.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
To all the people wondering "How was he able to dangle her out the window". It was all clearly a hallucination (Jaw like a brick wall meant when she punched him, she actually just punched the wall meaning there isn't some sort of magical physical manifestation). Yes parts of her mind are acting independently from her conscious self. Erin has mental issues. This is well known.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I believe it happened like this she got drunk and got in the fight in the real world with disguised link which we saw and then managed to get on a bus and pass out which we didn't see, everything after that point is a dream she had well on the bus. Over all I didn't care for the arc but the twist redeemed it some, maybe fitting in a game joke into the actual story more often would have helped.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
DJ_DEnM said:
Yes, it didn't happen.

Honestly, not sure what people aren't getting about this.
Just wanted to make sure.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Yup, a few people called this resolution, including the fact that he is Link. While I didn't think of that last part, I did figure he was in her head.

That said, I'm actually glad he turns out not to be real. He was quite the dick. Not that Erin didn't have it coming, but still. The whole "Oh, I'm helping you by endangering your life"-shtick was just stupid and not something an actual good guy should or would do.

The real dude (the bald one, forgot his name) actually advised her to get medical help. Much more sensible.