The Labels

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh yeah, aren't labels fun. Now no matter who you are or how you play there's a derogatory label for you.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
What an elitist know-it-all, bandying about all these derogatory labels!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It has been sometime since I have played a competitive game with chat turned on. It's, uh "nice" to see that people have come up with new insults to use against one another.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
It's an interesting phenomenon the way people so casually toss aside common decency when the chance of someone punching their face in is reduced to near 0%. I'm curious how many of our social niceties are derived directly from the fear of getting one's ass kicked.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Nothing new here. People like thinking that they themselves are perfectly balanced. They alone are doing stuff the way it's meant to be done.

You game more than me? You're a No-lifer!
You game less than me? You're a Casual!

You put in more effort than me? You're a Tryhard!
You put in less effort than me? You're a Scrub

You play better than me? You're a Cheater!
You play worse than me? You're a Noob!

The list goes on and on...

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Ah, 'tryhard', the insult of the losing man/woman. That one's always confused me a bit, seeing as how the people who tend to throw out such labels are also the ones who get the most worked up about winning.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
More buttocks is good buttocks. Bring on the buttocks!

Also I think 'Tryhard' is among the silliest insults to ever come out of this hobby's community.

"HAHA, YOU'RE HAVING FUN CHALLENGING YOURSELF TO BE BETTER AT THE GOALS OF THE GAME! WHAT A LOSER! YOU SHOULD HALF ASS IT LIKE ME!"

If I care enough about a game to be a "Tryhard", I don't care enough about what they call me. =P

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Jandau said:
Nothing new here. People like thinking that they themselves are perfectly balanced. They alone are doing stuff the way it's meant to be done.

Now, how do you call a guy who is having more fun than you? :)

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Nothing wrong with tryharding in a ranked game. In an unranked game, it's not necessarily wrong per se either, but not always the most fun option.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Ah gamer culture. Why is it that insults made up by 13 year olds stick throughout the entirety of the much larger over 18 crowd? If I heard another gamer over 18 call me or anyone else a tryhard I'd possibly laugh myself into an early grave.

james.sponge said:
I call that guy, "me".

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Gorrath said:
It's an interesting phenomenon the way people so casually toss aside common decency when the chance of someone punching their face in is reduced to near 0%. I'm curious how many of our social niceties are derived directly from the fear of getting one's ass kicked.
I believe it was Robert Howard who said through his creation "Conan the Barbarian" the following about civility, courtesy and manners. It's surprisingly accurate, even today:

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

This, sadly, tends to be true. On the internet, when you don't have to worry about any sort of reprimand harsher than some poorly-typed profanity, a lot of people tend to stop caring about showing what was once considered common courtesy. Being civil even when disagreeing with someone on an issue, trying to make a good first impression, trying to keep other people's feelings or comfort in mind before you say something or behave a certain way, yeah, not something you see very often anymore. It's less frequent, even in real life public, these days and online, it's almost nonexistent. The prevailing attitude unfortunately seems to be "Fuck You, Got Mine".

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
I only use the word tryhard if I play normal games(which are meant to be casual games) in lol. pretty funny notheless

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
james.sponge said:
Jandau said:

A true and actual gamer who gets the point of gaming. Anyone not having fun and calling people these names as a result? Not a gamer at all.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I love how Grey descends further and further into the realm of DOTA, I can hazard a guess if the material spawned from there or in other areas of gaming.

Not a bad thing, though. For someone who criticizes/satirizes the gaming community through his comics, its pretty funny seeing him involved in one of shittiest parts of it. Should be a goldmine of material for him.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's funny watching someone get worked up over me winning and then saying I'm a tryhard.
Because it's a very stupid name? ;p

And not just cause it sounds dumb.
I mean really? How is "you put too much effort into things" really that much of an insult?
Though, I suppose all the "labels" are pretty dumb if you think about them for longer than it took people to come up with them.

Also; Looking forward to more side comics. They've been pretty good so far. =w= b