the lamest names in a video games.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Hmm, Shepard and Hawke? I mean they're both badass yet safe, not gonna win any awards for character naming but aren't gonna be featured in a "lamest names in a video game" thread.

No wait...

Still name your DA2 character Ebon Hawke and you'll be rebuying KOTOR in no time.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Solid Snake AND Deep Throat. I mean, they're in the same damn game! When I first played it I was like "aw HELLL naww!"

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
Hisshiss said:
Deathwing, I mean really. Blizzard is usually so damn good at names and writing amazing lore/storylines, but I mean come on, they named a fucking giant earth dragon, the "aspect of death" who's trying to bring about the end of days, deathwing.

It's like a kids TV show all of a sudden, made all the more dissapointing considering how boss his trailer is.
Well his real name is Neltharion...

Which in itself is also a pretty cool name, sort of begs the question of why people insist on deathwing. Unfortunately the WoW lore machine is a beast of a thing, so It's probly wise not to try and reason with it.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Hisshiss said:
Which in itself is also a pretty cool name, sort of begs the question of why people insist on deathwing. Unfortunately the WoW lore machine is a beast of a thing, so It's probly wise not to try and reason with it.
Probably to make it immediately obvious he's a villain. Blizzard do love their obvious villain names, just off the top of my head there's the Lich King, Blood Elves (the ones who went with Kael anyway), The Queen of Blades, Diablo/Mephisto/Baal... probably some more.

Ordinaryundone said:
Guybrush Threepwood. I mean, I love the guy, and his name is hilarious, but DAMN is it lame.
Does intentionally lame count though?

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
mireko said:
Solid Snake.

Just, what the hell?

[sub]Yes, I know the character is a direct reference to Snake Plissken from Escape from New York. Doesn't explain why his name is a dick joke.[/sub]
"Krug show her his Metal Gear. It is Solid"

I'd probably have to go with names like Snow and Lightning being the most lame if only because of the severe lack of creativity.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Master Chief really sticks out...I mean really? Couldn't give him a name, just two titles of superiority and call it good? Then there's the overly corny code names like Soap, Ghost, even Ramirez was off.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I've always been disappointed by games that name the protagonist "Rookie" or any variation of that.

You couldn't just name the character after someone in the office if you were having trouble with coming up with a name?

sgt. soap mctavish

Jun 13, 2010
Jet Brody from fracture. I still can't believe the game is this forgotten that i was the first to say the protagonist's horribly thought up name.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Hmm, Shepard and Hawke? I mean they're both badass yet safe, not gonna win any awards for character naming but aren't gonna be featured in a "lamest names in a video game" thread.

No wait...

Still name your DA2 character Ebon Hawke and you'll be rebuying KOTOR in no time.
I know Shepard is named after an astronaut, Don't know about Hawke though.

DaHero said:
Master Chief really sticks out...I mean really? Couldn't give him a name, just two titles of superiority and call it good? Then there's the overly corny code names like Soap, Ghost, even Ramirez was off.
Master Chief's first name is John (how very original) for all that I know, but my award for lamest name ever thought up goes to the clear and obvious winner of this thread: Soap McTavish. I mean WTF? you are playing as a character with a name that was probably thought up in prison when the author dropped his... On second thought I don't really want to know...

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Exdeath. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Squaresoft era FFs, but Exdeath? An eyebrow of "Wtf seriously?" was raised when first I saw that name.

jpblade666

Dec 23, 2010
Zenonia takes the cake. The main character is Regret, Theres also a girl named Sun, Other characters include Pardon, Tender,Lord Virulent, Vicious, Langue, Parole, there are a few I'm forgetting but you have a basic idea.

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
mireko said:
Solid Snake.

Just, what the hell?

[sub]Yes, I know the character is a direct reference to Snake Plissken from Escape from New York. Doesn't explain why his name is a dick joke.[/sub]
You know thats a code name and not his real name

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I see a good collection of "lamest names in video games" whenever i join an mmo server.
These kids try sooo hard to sound badass and cool i just can laugh. I just give my characters...names. Well but i am a freakish roleplayer.
But sometimes developers behave just like the average 12 year old shad0wa55a5in in wow with trying to beat themselves in "creative names" why i ask? why cant a villain not just been named like a regular person? or are villains always born with an evil birthmark so the parents can give them spooky names?
but the worst usually is when names out of literature or mythology are completely misused just because they seem cool, yes i am looking at you japan. be ashamed of yourself.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
lbucyk said:
mireko said:
Solid Snake.

Just, what the hell?

You know thats a code name and not his real name
It still functions as a name.

Just like how Lightning from FFXIII is actually named Claire, but since everyone refers to her as Lightning that's still her name. Sort of.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Snow...'nuff said...I thought FF13 was ok but the names were the 2nd worst thing about it (the worst being Vannile's voice actress)

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Gems from the Phoenix Wright series:

Will Powers
Shelly de Killer
Wendy Oldbag
the surname Von Karma
Acro the acrobat
Ben and his puppet Trilo Quist
Dick Gumshoe
Glen Elg (palindrome, in case you're wondering)
Redd White

I could go on for a long time with terrible pun names from those games, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head. It's just a part of what makes that series so awesome, however. Really bummed that Capcom has decided not to localize Investigations 2 (yet).