The Last Airbender is now this year's Eragon?!

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
I'll judge weather or not its crap for me. Since most reviewers haven't even SEEN the original Anime/Cartoon of it.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Wow, a Freaking 5! I knew it was gonna be shit, but Jeeze, a 5%? That's gotta get it a rotten Tomato! I knew this movie was gonna be shit when M. Night was announced to Direct it!

(Off Topic: Imagine Cuddles Saying that, it sounds like he would say something like that.)

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, there you go. Two different films, made with brilliant sourece material (apparently, I've never seen Avatar, but everyone says it's great so I might take a peek at some sometime), made into absolutely terrible films.

To be honest, that's nothing really special.

Jroo wuz heer

Apr 1, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
...and so it begins....

I knew this would happen, I called it last year.
me too
everyone that I talked to thought the trailers and commercials made it look awesome, but I always thought it looked stupid

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
First off: WIN.

orangeapples said:
Second off: I knew from the start, the very start, that Shamalayan would fuck this up. I knew it. Through all the interviews, the talk about him being a "fan" and "loving the series," I knew he'd turn it into a steaming load of ass. I never doubted it.

And then the second trailer came out, and Aang and Zuko/the Blue Spirit were fighting back to back, and Avatar-form Aang was smushing Fire Nation soldiers with the Spirit of the Ocean or whatever and I went, "Holy crap. This...this looks awesome."

I had hope, however briefly. But it seems it was a fool's hope.

So in closing: fuck you, Shamalayan.

That is all.

Duskwaith

Sep 20, 2008
Im surprised he didnt have a twist at the end like all his other movies

"But what if.....the air was really bending them!"

tweedpol

Nov 19, 2009
I'm a big fan of the series, haven't seen the film. was excited but wary, the trailers made me think equal parts 'effects/bending looks cool'/'casting looks shit, the romance plot which was awkward in the series will be even'
After these reviews i'm thinking man i'm not taking my girlfriend to see this (i made her promise to come with me since the only other fan i know is out of the country)
I don't have much to do this summer, which will be handy if i have to set out on a terrible and protracted vendetta against shyamalan.

And for all you whining 'why don't you see it for yourself instead of reading reviews': we have reviewers for a reason. also at least one of them is roger ebert, who i believe is a professional. I'm not saying they're right, it's just fair enough for them to discourage people who were on the fence about seeing it, anyone who is interested (like me) will indeed go despite the reviews, i for one am not anticipating it being good, i just want to see for myself. non-fans are welcome to not bother with it.

And for all you whining 'the reviewers haven't seen the series!' a/it needs to stand on its own, but more importantly b/ the series was good, doesn't automatically make the film good, it's all about competent adaptation/film making (or not as seems more likely).
If you defend the film to the death and squee incessantly about non-fans having the temerity to see it and hate it, despite it being terrible, you're no better than the twilight douches who insist upon giving those animals money for their terrible terrible films.
oh god i've become one of those forum people. ugh.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
oppp7 said:
I'm going to see it anyways, as soon as my grandfather gets out of the hospital...

I'm sorry, what happen?
He had a stroke. But he's doing better. Not sure when he'll be out though.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 7%. I can't wait for Moviebob's review. I want him to destroy it.
Me too.
Apparently he made Iroh evil.
IROH!
And it also takes place in an a Post Apocalyptic future...

I know...Iroh is my favorite character too. Toph is also.
And man. I've been quoted a lot and the score I posted went down a lot. Damn.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Duskwaith said:
Im surprised he didnt have a twist at the end like all his other movies

"But what if.....the air was really bending them!"
The twist is that Zuko is Aang's Brother and he is the second airbender.
Ok ok...that was bad...and yet, I can see that coming.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
ScarletScapegrace said:
Soooo, let me get this straight, you went to rotten tomatoes; where it currently has a 6% rating based upon the opinion of.....54 people at the moment. At which point did you abandon logic and refuse to make up your own mind based upon the opinion of a small majority of the millions of people who will no doubt go to see the movie?

Thanks for your doom and gloom prediction pal, but the day I make my movie watching decisions based upon rotten tomatoes is the day Roger Ebert changes his opinion on games as art. (and no he hasn't, he's just acknowledged he angered the internet by stating an uninformed opinion)

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 7%. I can't wait for Moviebob's review. I want him to destroy it.
Me too.
IROH!

he didn't make Iroh evil he just made him bland and unfunny, Iroh in the cartoons is this funny wise cracking grandfather that every one can love, and he loves peace...in this he doesn't seem to give a damn either way, makes no jokes...As for that he's thin, hes not portly like in the cartoon.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
WilliamRLBaker said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Me too.
IROH!

he didn't make Iroh evil he just made him bland and unfunny, Iroh in the cartoons is this funny wise cracking grandfather that every one can love, and he loves peace...in this he doesn't seem to give a damn either way, makes no jokes...As for that he's thin, hes not portly like in the cartoon.
I barely heard Iroh speak in the movies and the scenes I saw looked like we went evil. But making him bland and not funny? What the Hell!? Oh yeah...he's skinny in book 1...not book 3 I mean. That would make sense.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Uhm... yeah I'm gonna judge for myself. I don't go by what other people say.
Plus half the cricits probabaly haven't seen the show. There was only one critic that even mentioned the show.

I'll just watch the movie myself.

EDIT: Also, don't trust rotten tomatoes fully. People can just go there and give a movie a bad review if they want. I'm not saying this is the case here, but 7% seems low, even the Twilight movies didn't score that low.. Doesn't that set off bells and whistles to anyone else?
BTW, Twilight got a 50%... So let's think about it.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
ScarletScapegrace said:
Soooo, let me get this straight, you went to rotten tomatoes; where it currently has a 6% rating based upon the opinion of.....54 people at the moment. At which point did you abandon logic and refuse to make up your own mind based upon the opinion of a small majority of the millions of people who will no doubt go to see the movie?

Thanks for your doom and gloom prediction pal, but the day I make my movie watching decisions based upon rotten tomatoes is the day Roger Ebert changes his opinion on games as art. (and no he hasn't, he's just acknowledged he angered the internet by stating an uninformed opinion)
1. you mean the majority and minority there is no small and big majority.
2.I've yet to see the Majority not hate this movie, its the minority that either accepts it as okay or actually like its..

rotten tomato's and all the nay Sayers are actually right here this movie is total and complete trash, I am a big fan of the animated series.. though I disliked the abrupt and somewhat unexplained ending of that series but I still loved it as a whole.

But this movie is complete trash and just barely follows that story with most of the source material as scarlet said eviscerated and left to bake in the sun, changes to scenes that never needed to be made, not including scenes that could have been included, the fact this type of movie should have been 2 hours at least or 2 and a half instead of 1 hour and 43 minutes it would have been better with a 2 hour or 2 and a half hour length they could have added far more scenes from the animated show then they did.

Acting is bad, its bad from nearly every single actor except 2, Dev Patel as Zuko, and Shaun Toub as Iroh, but even their characters were crap they were nothing like the animated series characters but then again no character in this movie matched the animated characters and for no reason at all, the acting was bad but the characters were written different then they were in the animated series. Ong (or ongalongabeen bang, instead of Aang) is not a happy carefree character like he was in the animated series with a load of responsibility on his shoulders and him growing up, Katara is not happy just sad and emo, the same with Sokka who is just a useless character here but had at least some value in the animated series, Zuko isn't an angry angst filled teenager betrayed by his father or any thing, and Iroh is not the happy, peace loving wise cracking tea loving old man hes just there...with a little anger and no cares for whats happening around him. Fire lord Ozai is just...angry face...I'm the fire lord...angry face instead of being a sadistic psycho...The animated series...made for CHILDREN has more emotional range then this movie with each characters having their laughs, and loves, and angers and hates...and violence...something unseen in this movie.

Effects are complete and total crap, along with the choreography...going to this movie is much like going to see Sorcerers Apprentice and each person casts a single spell the entire movie, you don't make a movie where the concept is there are people capable of controlling the elements then do so few scenes with this actually occurring, and the martial arts *choreography* are complete and utter crap with most of the characters doing very little in these departments and the stuff they do do being total crap...Dev Patel and a few background characters and extras being the only ones note worthy in this area. In the animated series it was a short set of movements that produced elemental bending...in this a whole dance routine before even a single thing happens often without any force it should have had...the moves often look exactly the same, yet the animated series each nations bending was based on unique and different martial arts. What was up with the fuzz? whats up with the close ups? I noticed this whether it was my theater *not a chance my theater has never failed me* that the entire movie had a fuzz to it...and often scenes that needed no close up had them...there was an entire scene of Katara Sokkka and Ong are talking and it switches from an extreme close up of Sokka and Katara to an extreme close up of Ong...back and forth...in a scene where they could have just between standing together face to face talking...without the individual extreme close ups.

Mispronouncing simple names with all ready set pronunciations...the largest offense here is Ong instead of Aang there was literally no logical reason for him to be called ong instead of Aang Aang works, Its how you pronounce that, it was set forth in the animated series? why change it...there are other problems but I'll get to another problem now.

Racial Ambiguity...the animated series had it, except for a few characters it was not oblivious what race the characters were...so what do they do? they make the entire southern water tribe except 3 people Inuit (eskimos) the entire north tribe is whites, the entire fire nation is indians, and the entire earth kingdom is a mix of Asians.
the animates Series was racial Ambiguous. they were clearly able to get the races hired they could have hired more races then they did as actors and just mixed them up, with different races comprising up the different nations so as to convey the Racial Ambiguity...but they didn't and that made the movie suck even more.

This movie sucks, it killed the inner child in me that liked Avatar the last airbender.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Uhm... yeah I'm gonna judge for myself. I don't go by what other people say.
Plus half the cricits probabaly haven't seen the show. There was only one critic that even mentioned the show.

I'll just watch the movie myself.

EDIT: Also, don't trust rotten tomatoes fully. People can just go there and give a movie a bad review if they want. I'm not saying this is the case here, but 7% seems low, even the Twilight movies didn't score that low.. Doesn't that set off bells and whistles to anyone else?
BTW, Twilight got a 50%... So let's think about it.
I see what you mean.
1st one got a 50%
2nd one got a 27%
and the recent one got a 57%
Uggh