The Last of Us: Plot/Ending Discussion

Deus Ex Machina

Aug 12, 2012
So, I beat the game and was, at first, unsure of my thoughts on the ending. I liked that neither Joel nor Ellie died, but I didn't like that he lied and that it might breed problems later on.

I read a wonderful post on a website saying that she was complicit in the lure, that she was going along with it so she didn't have to carry the burden of letting down mankind, that she let Joel shoulder the burden. That she wanted to live and be happy with a friend and father figure. This completely changed my view of the ending and I fell in love with it. It is the happy ending I wanted, where both those phenomenal characters live and remain friendly.

Nite, for the hospital scene, I had a feeling they were going to say it legal, and as sin as they mentioned removing the organ I was passed. I was very set in the mindset of Joel, and really like him and Ellie as characters, so I was hoping I could kill every last bastard in the pace, and was practically maniacally rampaging through the facility and cheering on the inside when I blew those Firefly bastards apart with EL DIABLO!!!

So I walk into the surgery room saying "you bastards better have not harmed Ellie" and proceeded to shotgun all 3 of them so that, even if they got Ellie from my cold, dead fingers they wouldn't have the needed skill to operate and she would be fine. I then ran the Hell out of there and was saying "oh if she points that gun away our food it I/Joel am going to END HER" and I giggled evilly when he shot her,I always thought she needed killing throughout the game.

And after having my views on the ending changed by that lovely commenter I was greatly pleased.

I do wish I had it and a PS3 so I could have played it alone instead of with a friend, so I could have had the full experience.

Reading my post does make me seem a bit psychopathic...

niknar266

Sep 22, 2011
I really like the ambiguity of the ending there's so much uncertainty neither the fireflys or Joel can be totally in the right. I really wanted Marlene's death to be handled like the boss' in MGS3 with the game stopping and making you personally pull the trigger guess it would have screwed the pacing of that scene.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but was Ellie even truly immune to the infection I just rewatched the scene with the car breaking down at the end of the game. Ellie is sitting with her sleeve rolled I don't if it's just me or the angle of the shot but her bite looks to be getting worse slightly she even rolls her sleeve back down as Joel approaches.

snowmaneddy

Jun 19, 2013
niknar266 said:
I don't know if this has been brought up yet but was Ellie even truly immune to the infection I just rewatched the scene with the car breaking down at the end of the game. Ellie is sitting with her sleeve rolled I don't if it's just me or the angle of the shot but her bite looks to be getting worse slightly she even rolls her sleeve back down as Joel approaches.
Interesting idea. I thought that she was only looking at it because she was thinking back to her experiences with Riley and thinking about her survivors' guilt.